• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

TRG-22 .308 Sweet Loads..... Please

Vipa

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2010
North East UK
www.phfinancial.co.uk
Hi Guys... as per title.. looking for some 'sweet load' recipies for my TRG...

I've had good results with SMK 155s over 44.6gn Vhit N540 and am currently experimenting with 175s over 43gns of Varget which is giving me very similar performance.. both loads are cloverleafing at 100 and scoring well at longer (and much longer) ranges The 175s are leaving the barrel at approx 2600fps.

I don't want cloverleafs though, I want a tack driver at 100yds and I know the rifle is capable of it, so is the driver (most of the time! it get's a little iffy when it gets a bit longer
crazy.gif
)

So, what have you got... someone out there must have found the holy grail of loads for the TRG...

FYI I have a 26" barrel, am running 20 thou off the lands, use Lap brass with Fed 210 primers and have A LOT of 175 SMKs in my cupboard, so if anyone has found the king of 175 loads, I will be doubly happy
laugh.gif

Thanks
Paul

Re: TRG-22 .308 Sweet Loads..... Please

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They tell me that eating pineapple works.

Josh </div></div>

Thanks Josh, I'll have to remember that one..... Although, to be honest, those days pretty much dissapeared with the last slice of wedding cake!!!
frown.gif

I'm running 168 SMKs (got a great deal on a 1,000) over 44.5 grains of Varget. I backed off 0.005" from the lands and this load shoots. Your typical 1 holer at 100 yards (although I can't do it every time). I know this is the "internet" but here goes anyway. I shot a 3.25" group at 400 yards with this load. The first bullet I shot I could feel my self "push" the rifle. The other 4 were in a 1.213" cluster. I can't wait to weigh some rounds, measure and sort and see what I can repeat. All groups were shot off a bench with bipods, rear bag and at 16 power.

I have the 26" barrel as well.

Good luck! I can't wait to get my NXS on this thing as the glass is far better.

Mine seems to shoot everything well but...
The 155s (Amax and Scenar) seemed to perform slightly better than 168 or 175 Sierras or 168/178 Amax.
(Everything seemed to be in the .25-.75 MOA range)

The Moly versions seemed to have a very slight advantage so I use them but I have switched back and forth with no apparent downside. (I use non moly in my gas guns which makes for a quick and easy load ID)

My "Go to" load(s)
155 Moly Amax (or Silver Scenar)
Varget (47.5gr)
CCI BR2
Lapua brass
OAL 2.830

It has been a winning combination in numerous prone matches (200/300yd) and performs amazingly well on coyotes.
(I switch to Scenars for 1000yd but they don't impress me as much on coyotes)

Vipa,

Glad you could appreciate the joke. Mine has worked well with the following:

1. Lapua Brass, CCI BR2, 44.0g Varget, 175 SMK.
2. Lapua Brass, CCI BR2, 47.0g Varget, 155 Scenar.

Honestly, I haven't felt the need to shoot anything else, but the 178 Amax looks very tempting. As far as I am concerned, the 155 Scenar is the bullet to beat in 308.

Josh

After thorough experimentation with 155 through 180 grain bullets, It is clear that the load to beat in my 20" TRG is as follows:

Lapua brass - necks turned down just enough to true - annealed every 2nd firing. Sized with .338 neck bushing.

Fed GM210M primers.

45.5 Grains Varget

168 gr Sierra matchking seated 2.810 C.O.L. - This may seem short, but my rifle prefers it and it fits in the mag.

I found this load by mimicking the Lapua factory ammo that yielded the best accuracy in initial tests. Velocity is 2650 FPS from a 20" barrel. Group sizes are .25" or better. They are usually around .187" to .210". Best group so far is .020".

Work up carefully and watch for pressure signs. I was having issues initially even though Hodgdon shows a max of 46 grains. The solution turned out to be less neck tension ( I started out using a .337 bushing and moved up to a .338 ) plus careful prep of the inside neck surface.

Velocity and accuracy both improved steadily in the first 200 rounds through the rifle. Do yourself a favor and complete your break in before dumping lots of time and money into dialing in your load. Take note that your manual specifies a bronze brush.

Good luck