• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Trigger Adj. Screw Locking Compound

Highground

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2008
Michigan
After adjusting the trigger weight adjustment screw on a Remington trigger(in my case an XMark)what are some locking compounds that can be used on that screw? It has been mentioned here in other posts to use nail polish. Are they talking about the bright red crap that my wife has in her cosmetic drawer or do they make a clear coat type? What else could be used? Blue Locktite?

Re: Trigger Adj. Screw Locking Compound

dont use loctite. loctite is used for locking threads, not sealing. you dont want to lock the threads, and you especially dont want to take that little screw all the way out either. the spring behind it it very easily lost or broken. just use any nail polish, and dont worry about the color, it wont be seen anyway until you take the action out of the stock again. any color works just fine. and also, if you were to take the screw all the way out and then loctite it in place, you would never be able to get it to re-adjust because the metal used for those screws if very soft. the loctite would overpower the metal and you would strip it before it moved again. you just want to seal it in place from outside.

just a side note; i am by no means a gunsmith. but all the mods done to my rifles have been done by me. trigger adjustment and all(passed the drop and smash test flawlessly with pink nail polish). if you have any questions you can message me and i will tell you if i have any answers, if not i will tell you to find other council.

Thanks. I didn't plan to take the screw all the way out, but I was not sure if the Locktite could be used as a sealer as well. As I was looking through her stuff, I saw a bottle of clear nail stuff that says "Top Coat". I was not sure if that is what is used, as it seemed a little thinner then the colored nail polish.

Thanks for the help.

I use a drop of clear epoxy on the screw head. It remains soft enough to prevent chipping/cracking and is easily removed if need be.

thats another great thing about nail polish, if you need to remove it, she probably has this great stuff called nail polish remover(lol) in her cabinet too. works just like the bottle said.

That kind of brings me to the next question. Is there something that is a better choice that I would find at the hardware store, like epoxy or is there something about nail polish that makes it better. My guess is that it might not matter and most might have nail polish already laying around, but I was going to get a container of something just for this.

the reason i used pink is i thought it would be funny at the register with everything else i bought(krylon camo rattle cans and some clothes line string to camo the rem700). and its also the only thing i could think of that also has a product dedicated to removing said polish. works just fine for me, i test the pull weight every time i go to the range and its set at exactly 4LBS. just a hair less than the factory 5LBS 2 OZ my guage read before adjusting. also, make sure you do all the safety checks; slam the bolt as hard as you can on fire(be sure its unloaded), drop the butt of the rifle(controled by hands) on the ground as hard as you see fit, and ensure the safety still does what its supposed to do, put it on safe and pull the trigger. all the while ensuring there is NO ROUND IN THE CHAMBER!

Increasing brittleness goes hand in hand with increasing hardness.

I don't know how hard nail polish is, but if it only lasts for a week under normal use before chipping (normal being what the girls I know subject their hands to) I feel that it is too hard to withstand the stress of recoil and vibration over a long period of time.

mine has lasted for about a year(and counting). im pretty anal about cleaning my weapons, not keeping them pretty, but clean. and my barreled actoin comes out of the stock after every range session. its still there, unchipped, and still holding that little screw. now that ive said that its gonna go haywire on me. lol. but from what i read, its what all the gunsmiths use, and if it works for the people getting paid to do it, the guy that doesnt want to pay to have it done can do it too.

No there is no better then nail polish. It dries hard but will crack easy when you need to move it. It is easy to get and works perfect for what you need. When I was working with Nissan off road racing team we always used lacquer paint on all of the cage, NEVER epoxy or powder coat. The reason is if you develop a crack (when you develop a crack
smile.gif
) it will chip the paint very easily and show up like a beacon in the night so you can replace or repair, an epoxy or powder coat will hide this.

I used red nail polish on mine.

Ironically Nail Polish also works well as a sealer for ammo when cut a little thinner.

If it ain't manly, but works...who cares?

My wife did act a little funny when I called her at work and asked where her nail polish was.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used red nail polish on mine.

Ironically Nail Polish also works well as a sealer for ammo when cut a little thinner.

My wife did act a little funny when I called her at work and asked where her nail polish was.
wink.gif
</div></div>

my fiances a medic and instructs CLS(combat lifesavers course) and doesnt wear any, she looked at me funny when i brought it home. took a little explaining, but i got through it.

Nail polish works great. Like everybody else said it was on my table and my girlfriend questioned me who it belonged to because it wasn't hers. I told her what is was for she laughed and looked at me real funny.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used red nail polish on mine.

wink.gif
</div></div>

Same here!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used red nail polish on mine.

wink.gif
</div></div>

Same here! </div></div>Probably afraid you'll either mess it up or actually know how to use it . . . neither case being ideal.

My wife wouldnt give me her expensive nail polishes to use, instead she gave me a bottle of clear top coat, which worked out better IMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My wife wouldnt give me her expensive nail polishes to use, instead she gave me a bottle of clear top coat, which worked out better IMHO. </div></div>

That is what I ended up using last night(on my gun I should add). It is a little thinner and seemed to work great.

just make sure you go through all the safety functions. ive heard of people doing it 100% right, but come to find out, the spring behind the screw, when installed at the factory, had too much glue on the head and it seeped down into the spring making it one hard block of metal and glue. needless to say, it didnt work as planned and had to be disasembled and heated to melt the glue off the screw. so slam it around, and do everything you can think of that would make a faulty job fail. if it doesnt, take'er to the range, if not, try it again.

oh, also, if youre like me, you get a little forgetful. the pink works better in my case because if i ever want to drop the weight again, or raise it, i can just look for the pink polish. if i had put clear on it, it would look exactly like the other screws. so its kinda my own way of dummy(me) proofing it!