• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Movie Theater True Grit, 2011

ZLBubba

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Maryland
Just saw this trailer, can't wait to see it in a theater. Bridges, Damon, and Brolin, should be a pretty mean combo, especially with the Coen Bros directing. They've got Johnny Cash's "God's Gonna Cut You Down" on the trailer, and nothing sets up a western quite like some brooding Johnny Cash.

Here's the link to the trailer: http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/paramount/truegrit/

Re: True Grit, 2011

wow, making a remake of one of my favorite John Wayne movies. I wonder when the Shootist will be remade.

The guys across the hall from me are working on it right now and it looks to be a really solid adaptation of the book - departing a bit from the 1976 film.

Looks like a great project, and the Coen Bros tell some great tales.

I saw the trailer for it the other night. Growing up renting John Wayne movies, its going to be an abomination. No one will ever replace the duke or do it better in a western than him. Their is a huge detach from hollweird when it comes to westerns, more so than their normal detach with the rest of the world.

I saw the trailer (obviously havent seen the movie) but the tralier put me in a foul mood and I didnt even really enjoy the movie I was watching because of the trailer.

Visit his statue at the airport, you'll feel better. Hollywood hasn't had an original idea in a long time.

Wayne won the oscar for True Grit. John Wayne was great, no doubt about it. But he was great because he was John Wayne. He wasn't the greatest "actor." His presence alone is what made him a Hollywood legend.

The book True Grit, and the movie True Grit are two different properties. The movie focused too much on Wayne, and not enough on the female lead which is the true point of the book. I think there is plenty of room for a new version which is more faithful to the book, which I believe is the point of the new film.

I also would like to say that I hope the new movie does really well at the box office. If the movie is as good as I hope it will be, it could usher in a new era of good, modern westerns. God knows we have had string of mediocre ones; i.e. 3:10 to Yuma (remake), Assassination of Jesse James, and the almost unwatchable Jonah Hex. Brolin owes us a good western after Hex.

Actually, there was a lot of controversy over Wayne getting the Oscar for that role. Apparently people within the industry felt that Hoffman deserved it for his performance in "Marathon Man" but because Wayne was dying from cancer and had never won an Oscar, it went to him instead.

FWIW, if you head south out of Ouray, CO you'll find the little town that a lot of the 1976 film was shot. The saloon is a restaurant now and makes pretty damned good chili.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Socalsheepdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Visit his statue at the airport, you'll feel better. Hollywood hasn't had an original idea in a long time.</div></div>
That's why they keep re-making older movies. They must be brain dead out there, you would think someone would be able to come up with something new.

What the...? With the lil one running the show now, the only movies I get to attend involve Buzz, Woody and other animated icons. I had no idea that they are remaking a John Wayne classic?????? That's it... I'm done. What's next, a remake of Peter Sellers classic The Pink Panther? Have they no souls?

rant off

It's a John Wayne movie, not a Rembrandt masterpiece. Very few things can't be remade, and John Wayne movies (or nearly any movie) falls into that category.

Let's dial back the feigned disgust and just remember it's a movie. Either it entertains or it doesn't. And if you don't like the idea, don't go see it. Me? My ass will be planted in a theater opening night because I like the story and the actors. I think they'll do a good job.

Coen Bros have a pretty solid track record. Plus, after watching Jeff Bridges in Crazy Heart, I will most likely see it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triple 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[
That's why they keep re-making older movies. They must be brain dead out there, you would think someone would be able to come up with something new. </div></div>

Nope, we're not brain dead out here in Hollywood, as much as I know that's the typical narrative people who don't otherwise understand the movie business assume. The reality is it's fucking expensive to make movies these days and get them marketed and distributed. Because a studio has to gamble anywhere from $90-200 million on a film when all is said and done, they tend to be fairly risk averse. This is specifically why indie movies tend to be the ones who traditionally take risks and do things the studios wouldn't try. Remaking classics is a win-win for the studios and often a LESS risky gamble.

It's unfortunate that the system has changed to be this way, but that's the way economics work now. And nevermind the simple fact that the movie industry is leaving CA at a rapid rate - you won't have tinseltown to kick around for much longer. I know you'll just love going to Bollywood westerns in 10 years
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, there was a lot of controversy over Wayne getting the Oscar for that role. Apparently people within the industry felt that Hoffman deserved it for his performance in "Marathon Man" but because Wayne was dying from cancer and had never won an Oscar, it went to him instead.... </div></div>
The Duke lived another ten years and starred in another 11 movies. Hoffman was nominated for Midnight Cowboy.

Saw the preview last night at Paranormal Activity 2. I know some people are pissy about a John Wayne movie being remade but if this is half as good as No Country for Old Men it shouldn't disappoint.

Fun Fact: Just for the record, anybody ever order something from the Sgt. Grit magazines? I get them every month since my mom ordered some stuff out of it for her old Marine boyfriend. Apparently Sgt. Grit earned his nickname because of this movie and being from Oklahoma.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
FWIW, if you head south out of Ouray, CO you'll find the little town that a lot of the 1976 film was shot. The saloon is a restaurant now and makes pretty damned good chili. </div></div>

Actually it's just north of Ouray, CO in Ridgeway.

Looks like a good Western style flick to me. I'll go see it. I like that Iron Man pretty much resurrected both Robert Downy Jr and Jeff Bridges careers. Gotta love a blockbuster!

I like the Coen Brothers, Jeff Bridges (The Dude), and Matt Damon, but after watching the trailer, I don't think it will hold a candle to the Duke. I am a huge John Wayne fan. Growing up, my favorite movie was El Dorado. I knew every line in that movie and many other John Wayne films. Some kids liked cartoons, I liked John Wayne movies. The acting seems subpar in the trailer, they just don't seem to have the same screen presence as the original actors. I'll still watch it though, I did love the original.

wow, Im a big Duke fan but this has serious potential to be an awesome flick and to open up the industry to some great western films. I'm definitely going to see this one.
I'd really really REALLY like to see something like The Outlaw Josey Wales or High Plains Drifter get remade and give Clint a cameo while he's still alive.

AWESOME! It may not be great, but who the hell cares it's gotta be better than the trash that has come out over the last 6 months!

Enough of the "baddass, kickass, loser, chick flick, etc, etc, etc) crap that has brought us through the summer!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AWESOME! It may not be great, but who the hell cares it's gotta be better than the trash that has come out over the last 6 months!

Enough of the "baddass, kickass, loser, chick flick, etc, etc, etc) crap that has brought us through the summer!</div></div>

no doubt, a guy might even be able to let his kids watch this one

My now 21yr old daughter loves westerns. I txt her about the remake of "Little Blackie". She wants to go and see it with her old man. Gotta love a daughter who likes John Wayne movies.