• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trying to decide on a 1/2 MOA bolt gun

Re: Trying to decide on a 1/2 MOA bolt gun

OP I believe a rifle should shoot better than the shooter. As the shooter's technique improves, so should the groups. If you want a 1/2" capable MOA production rifle, I'd look at something in the Remington line like a Remington SPS (which I think can using factory match ammo according to what I've read). The Remington action is to me like the Browning 1911A1.45 handgun; a brillant and time tested design that is the very familiar to the shooting world.

I personally own a M40 Remington that shoots 1/2" MOA (see photo). I'm happy with the $1300 I spent on the rifle and the Redfield base, glass for the extra $300. I know it's not Marine proof with the wooden stock and not glass bedded, but it will hold it's own against custom guns costing twice as much.

My last Remington plug here in Afghanistan I've shot the Remington M24 a lot and it's definitely a 1/2" MOA capable rifle with match (M118LR) ammo. I shot this 3 hole ragged group at 100 meters on a good rest. We had some ex-USMC scout snipers (better shots than me) that could consistantly do that:

M24 production rifles are too expensive when you compare what you can get for the same money with a *custom gun, though. *(If I had the money to drop on a custom gun, I would probably get a GAP Crusader).

As far as a 1/2" MOA "capable" rifle and one that is 1/2" MOA "consistant" (e.g., 5 - 5 shot group challenge). With so many variables affecting the way bullets group other than the rifle itself, determining which rifle is 1/2 MOA "capable" and which one is a 1/2 MOA "consistant" might prove difficult. If you are an experienced marksman and have a consistantly great technique that only produces 1/2" MOA groups "sometimes" with one tactical rifle you shoot a lot, and then 1/2" MOA groups "nearly all the time" with other tactical rifles you shoot a lot -- then I guess maybe over time you can separate your "capable" rifle(s) from your "consistant" one(s).