• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision TSA & PVS14 - What are the rules ?

Heretoimproveforhunting

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2008
North TX
Can anyone enlighten me as to the rules around transporting NVDs on airlines. I couldn't find where they are expressly excluded on the TSA or FAA's lists, but that doesn't mean they're ok.

Anyone had any experience travelling with these in carry-on. Ok to run them through x-ray machines. i'm not an expert on the technology, thus the question.

I transported my PVS-22 and MTM in my carry-on bag through TSA three months ago and no one batted an eye. You should be good to go.

That said, I've accidentally transported a loaded 10 round ruger 10/22 box magazine to and from my destination not realizing until I got home.......

I carry nods on board all the time. It has never been an issue.

Carry them on. Take the batteries out so that they don't get turned on and fried when some dumbass TSA twerp decides to finger bang it.

This is good advice. I also keep IR filters on my units when I travel for the same reason.

Is it worth mentioning that leaving the country with them might not be a great idea? As I believe most NVD gear is considered military hardware and thus requires an export/import licence. Yes, I know, it is silly, but still just a word of warning.

Actually it is not silly at all. First it is against ITAR regulations, and second, if you are caught the devise will be confiscated-so not so silly. This basically covers just about all NV and thermal devices.

And as Delta said, I travel with them in my carry on, and have not had a problem=but that does not mean it will not happen. Be careful and be courteous and if a problem arises ask for the TSA supervisor or a LE officer.

I flew w/ my PVS-14, all accessories, and LWTS thermal clip-on last month for the first time ever and not a single issue. I followed the advice I had read on a couple NV forums and had no batteries w/ the devices in case someone got curious w/ the PVS-14.

Is it worth mentioning that leaving the country with them might not be a great idea? As I believe most NVD gear is considered military hardware and thus requires an export/import licence. Yes, I know, it is silly, but still just a word of warning.

Not a silly question, but also worth mentioning that I *THINK* you can take your NODs with you overseas, you just can't SEND them overseas and you aren't supposed to let a foreigner handle or look through them if they are gen2 or gen3 (I think gen1 is okay). For that matter, you aren't supposed to let a foreigner on US soil look through gen2 or gen3 NODs either. You have to maintain control of them at all times and when you return they have to return with you.

I don't think you need approval or any paperwork, but you are supposed to follow the laws. Be aware some countries may consider NODs to be restricted. But I could be wrong, I'm just writing what I recall --were I to go out of country and take them with me for some reason, I'd be sure to look deeper into it, regarding US law and the laws where I'd be taking them. As such, it would behoove you to do so as well.

But I'm pretty sure you can take NODs with you, you just have to be careful and do it "right".

Good luck getting State Dept. approval for anything --I couldn't get them to help me send a buddy a damn J-arm in Iraq back in 2004 or 2005. Just one J-arm. It eventually went out with the unit package from post, but trying to get it there any other way, legally of course, was basically impossible.

I was carrying a short dot through PHX (Phoenix Sky Harbor) and they went absolutely nuts. Said it was part of a firearm, even though I was carrying it, they detained my wife for over 20 min while they ran it through two more times, they questioned her, and re-screened her. I'm retired mil and she has her mil ID also but they wanted a DL only instead. One guy said it was fine but his boss he had on his cell said no. I was getting very firm with them to the point my wife thought they might want to detain me as well. The local guy agreed with me and finally let us proceed. I was sickened by the whole affair as only one person seemed to have any clue at all judgement-wise. I think the only thing I could recommend is to put it in a separate bin so your bag won't be re-screened if they decide to go stupid on you.

"The only thing new is the history you don't know".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk