• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Type of Metal on Matte Savage Bolt Handles?

ridgeway

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2013
Greensburg PA
ridgewaybodies.com
I've turned down a few SS and Blued Savage bolt handles in order to thread and install a custom bolt knob and they machined OK. I set up a matte finish knob and went to machine it and HSS would not come close to touching it! It almost seems like its case hardened? I stuck my huge 3/4" carbide tipped turning tool and was able to cut through the surface. After that, I was able to cut with HSS fine. I can't even break the surface with a file!

What kind of metal are they made out of? I find this problem with matte finish handles. Anyone have similar experiences?

I believe they are a scintered metal. Like their triggers.

High pressure on a powdered material to form the finished product. End result is much like case hardening, hard outer surface softer material underneath.

It seems like hit or miss with them in terms of machinability. I did a stainless knob yesterday and it killed a nice hertel HSS center drill. I faced a bit deeper and it was fine. Did another stainless one today, it cut and machined like a dream! Guess with cast, you get all kinds of stuff! Good thing for carbide...I got some carbide center drills now, lol