• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"Ukrainian sniper shoots Russian from '1.68 miles away' – the second-longest kill ever"

Do you believe this claimed shot?

• Seems legit.

• Maybe. A BIG maybe.

• Call me skeptical

• Doubtful

• Oh yah, that's a whopper

• Ghost of Kiev, part II

• Do not select this option

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think we are talking Very Special Forces…

IMG_7153.jpeg

They deploy in a special short C-130.

IMG_7154.jpeg

Sirhr

I've got no dog in this fight at all and I'm not poking at anyone on this subject but I'll throw this out there.

As skeptical as I am on the shot being made.... if it would come out as to what caliber was used.... then I would be leaning towards I'd say it happened.

Don't ask why I would believe it but I will say this... we've shipped some barrels over there. I'd like to know the caliber that was used and that would confirm it for me if I lean towards believing it.

On the skeptical side.... shots that have been made like this.... there are so many variables that come into play and more and more luck is thrown into it. Don't get me wrong the shooter still has work to do to even come close to making it happen. I look back at some of these long range shots that have been made and even the shooter himself later on down the road tried to replicate the shot and hit a target and couldn't make it happen.

Rewatching that video and it does look like the footage has been sped up some. At least the part where the target is walking before the shot. Not sure if that's what's happening or not, and if it was sped up, not sure if the footage is still fast during the shot or not. But yeah... just looking at the image and target size for a 1.6-whatever mile shot... looks fake to me.

The bullet hits the target at a certain distance and delivers enough energy to hit a living target.
But there are a lot of aspects that need to be calculated so that the calculated data coincides with the practical ones.
Namely, the initial speed of the bullet is its ballistic coefficient, whether the correct length of the bullet is selected for the rifling pitch. The direction of the target relative to the north and in which hemisphere of the globe the shooter is located. The difference in air density on the aiming line so that refraction does not shift the optical image of the target, the strength and direction of the wind not only near the ground, but also at a height where a bullet will be fired.
And it’s very unrealistic to make such a shot with a hit at such a distance. Maybe vision is present sometimes)))
I only talk ballistics with those who have mastered Vol 1 of the Theoretical Course of Physics by Landau and Lifshitz.

In the original Russian....

Goldstein maybe but you'll have to prove a few things first.

She claims she is.

The public information I can find says she was born in SLC, Utah. Her father's family were emigrants from the Russian Empire. Her mother's family were from Austria-Hungary and Lithuania, which were never part of Ukraine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bender
What
The public information I can find says she was born in SLC, Utah. Her father's family were emigrants from the Russian Empire. Her mother's family were from Austria-Hungary and Lithuania, which were never part of Ukraine.
What ever dude! I thought I heard her tell someone in a recent interview. Sorry for spreading "disinformation"
Thank God you're here to fact check me!

What

What ever dude! I thought I heard her tell someone in a recent interview. Sorry for spreading "disinformation"
Thank God you're here to fact check me!
Jesus... She DID claim she was Ukranian in that news interview! I'm saying that SHE IS LYING. She was born in fucking Utah to American parents. Celebrities and politicians love to claim they're some minority or ethnicity or nationality that they aren't just because it's en vogue. They're all liars.

Reactions: Bender and BurtG
Jesus... She DID claim she was Ukranian in that news interview! I'm saying that SHE IS LYING. She was born in fucking Utah to American parents. Celebrities and politicians love to claim they're some minority or ethnicity or nationality that they aren't just because it's en vogue. They're all liars.
I DON'T GIVE A FLY'N FUCK!
NOW POUND SAND!!

This was mentioned in the big Ukraine thread, but since this is The Hide, a near record shot kinda deserves its own place.

ukraine-sniper-russian-soldier-world-record-02.jpg

Couple of Brit papers and the NY Post have picked up the tale.

Presented for your careful and considered analysis:

The supposed official Ukrainian source for this feat:

I don't speak Ukrainian, perhaps someone can translate.

Archived, just in case it disappears

Shockingly, some comments in the NY Post article are doubtful this shot actually took place as claimed! 😲

Who better to carefully analyze this skillful use of what was doubtless a Dragunov or perhaps the mighty 6.5 Kreedmorski, than the experienced practitioners of the art here?

And now . . .

drum roll, please

2.3 mile kill shot

It is unfortunate that they used the word "incredible" to make the announcement. Maybe the nuance gets lost in translation.

Oh, wait. And then there is this tidbit:

The shot was made with a domestically produced rifle, the Ukrainian security service told Newsweek.

• Haha
Reactions: Bender
And another one: https://essanews.com/ukrainian-sniper-sets-new-world-record,6964802984487041a

They say it's a "Horizon's Lord Rifle" chambered in 12.7 x 114HL, by modifying a 14.5 x 114mm shell. "According to The Firearm Blog, using 12.7 x 114HL bullets offers numerous benefits compared to the traditional 14.5 x 114mm cartridge. Thanks to these modifications, the manufacturer established the desired attribute of flat trajectories, in addition to enhanced range, the ability to maintain energy during flight, and decreased vulnerability to wind. The muzzle velocity after a shot is fired is 3,280 feet per second from a 41" barrel."

Hmmmm..... no.

Lord of the Horizon" gun'​

2.36 miles away with a custom rifle called 'Lord of the Horizon'.
10,000 FPS.....

14.5×114mm necked down to 50 cal​

can fire bullets that travel faster than the speed of sound for nearly 10,000ft.

Last edited:

Lord of the Horizon" gun'​

2.36 miles away with a custom rifle called 'Lord of the Horizon'.
10,000 FPS.....

14.5×114mm necked down to 50 cal​

i call :poop: on the 10,000 FPS..

To the article's credit, it doesn't say the round is traveling 10,000fps. It says the round is traveling faster than the speed of sound FOR 10,000 feet. Kind of a weird data point, but yeah.

Looks like the Ghost of Kyiv has momentarily stepped out of the cockpit, and is now doing a little sniperin' between combat sorties.

Wonder why those videos have pauses in them...so they can point out the target? Or maybe there's another reason...:unsure:

[Sarcasm]

To the article's credit, it doesn't say the round is traveling 10,000fps. It says the round is traveling faster than the speed of sound FOR 10,000 feet. Kind of a weird data point, but yeah.
ty, will edit

And another one: https://essanews.com/ukrainian-sniper-sets-new-world-record,6964802984487041a

They say it's a "Horizon's Lord Rifle" chambered in 12.7 x 114HL, by modifying a 14.5 x 114mm shell. "According to The Firearm Blog, using 12.7 x 114HL bullets offers numerous benefits compared to the traditional 14.5 x 114mm cartridge. Thanks to these modifications, the manufacturer established the desired attribute of flat trajectories, in addition to enhanced range, the ability to maintain energy during flight, and decreased vulnerability to wind. The muzzle velocity after a shot is fired is 3,280 feet per second from a 41" barrel."

Hmmmm..... no.
Ummm yes!

Was there luck involved? You bet!

We made them barrels and shipped them Jan of this year.

When they first contacted us about ordering some for testing and they told me the cartridge I told them I already did one 20 years ago. I called it the 50HVT. I put the new barrel on a dewat Lahti. My light load was 390gr of 20mm powder driving a 750gr Hornady bullet at 3100fps and that was out of a 52” barrel.

I posted some pics on the hide a short time back of my prototype round etc..

So I do believe them in saying 3200fps + is possible.

Right before this article came out they emailed me with some accuracy figures along with they’ve tested other brands of barrels but some accuracy wise come close to ours but none as consistent as ours.

They want to order more in qty. I’m waiting on paperwork and a new po.

Again that distance I don’t care what you’re shooting but you need some luck to go along with a good shooting rifle and equipment to even think of doing shots like that.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Ummm yes!

When they first contacted us about ordering some for testing and they told me the cartridge I told them I already did one 20 years ago. I called it the 50HVT. I put the new barrel on a dewat Lahti. My light load was 390gr of 20mm powder driving a 750gr Hornady bullet at 3100fps and that was out of a 52” barrel.

Right before this article came out they emailed me with some accuracy figures along with they’ve tested other brands of barrels but some accuracy wise come close to ours but none as consistent as ours.

Again that distance I don’t care what you’re shooting but you need some luck to go along with a good shooting rifle and equipment to even think of doing shots like that.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
and hope the person/target doesn't bend down to tie his shoe as you touch off the trigger ;)

Reactions: Frank Green
Ummm yes!

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

What is the time of flight on a round with a muzzle velocity of 3200fps @ the distances being claimed? The video in the OP has a ToF that is less than 3 seconds for a claimed 2,710 meters. The article I just posted claims a kill at 2.36 miles (4,153 yards). I didn't see a video for that shot, but the other articles have through-the-lens videos and again.. ToF doesn't make sense unless the videos have been sped up for some reason.

What is the time of flight on a round with a muzzle velocity of 3200fps @ the distances being claimed? The video in the OP has a ToF that is less than 3 seconds for a claimed 2,710 meters. The article I just posted claims a kill at 2.36 miles (4,153 yards). I didn't see a video for that shot, but the other articles have through-the-lens videos and again.. ToF doesn't make sense unless the videos have been sped up for some reason.
Assuming a 750gr AMAX and sea level:
4.679 seconds for 2700 meters
8.230 seconds for 3800 meters (4155 yards)

Reactions: msgriff
Sure is a revolutionary design.. bipod on the barrel and all.. LOL

The .50x114 cartridge would definitely make for a helluva round though!
656gr case capacity!! Like 2.5x a BMG case capacity.. so yeah, it'll definitely sling a heavy ass round at insane velocity.
But theres .375's, .416's, etc that can do 3k+ supersonic while using much less powder, in a much more mobile platform. And once you get past 2000yd, theres more than a little luck involved regardless of the round used.

if you try enough times, i imagine it is possible.

Reactions: 232593
Here are a couple of pic's for you all if you haven't seen them before. The first pic left to right....

50BMG, 55 Boys, my 50HVT/12.7x114 rounds that I made, 60US, 20mm US and 20x138B Solothurn.

Next pic is a measurement of the oal length of my 50HVT round. Not sure what the 12.7x114 HL round in Ukraine is being loaded to.

The last pic was my original sample round I made to send off to have the chamber reamer and sizing die reamer made. Think this was back around 2000 or 2001.

Attachments

• 60 US .jpg
    60 US .jpg
    512.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 50HVT.jpg
    50HVT.jpg
    898.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 50 HVT.jpg
    50 HVT.jpg
    977.2 KB · Views: 62
Here are a couple of pic's for you all if you haven't seen them before. The first pic left to right....

50BMG, 55 Boys, my 50HVT/12.7x114 rounds that I made, 60US, 20mm US and 20x138B Solothurn.

Next pic is a measurement of the oal length of my 50HVT round. Not sure what the 12.7x114 HL round in Ukraine is being loaded to.

The last pic was my original sample round I made to send off to have the chamber reamer and sizing die reamer made. Think this was back around 2000 or 2001.
What kind of primer does that case take?

Was WC872 powder used?

Last edited:
The barrels we made where 41” blanks to finish at 40” for the 50cal.

The 14.5mm barrels we made where 46” blanks.

The problem I see right now for the 14.5mm are match quality projectiles. I know it’s being worked on.
I have to make a correction on this post I made.

The 14.5/58cal barrels where 51" blanks.

The 50cal barrels we made where 46" blanks.

What kind of primer does that case take?

Was WC872 powder used?
I bought primed 14.5mm cases and necked them down. It was a one time shot deal. The primers in the cases I had where bigger than 50bmg primers. Also the 14.5mm cases I had where Berdan primed. If the case headstamp means anything it had 84 on it. So I'm assuming 1984.

I used VV 20N29 powder for my loads. Also had some VV 24N41 powder but never used it.

Reactions: 232593
I bought primed 14.5mm cases and necked them down. It was a one time shot deal. The primers in the cases I had where bigger than 50bmg primers. Also the 14.5mm cases I had where Berdan primed. If the case headstamp means anything it had 84 on it. So I'm assuming 1984.

I used VV 20N29 powder for my loads. Also had some VV 24N41 powder but never used it.
Thank you I was wondering if 20N29 was suitable. I didn’t know they made those cases in brass, all the ones I’ve seen in the past were steel.

I’ll tell you a secret: the shooter fired at 2 nearby enemies, but he hit a separate one, 3 meters from the aiming point.
So technically this is a miss

Reactions: Malum Prohibitum
I have to make a correction on this post I made.

The 14.5/58cal barrels where 51" blanks.

The 50cal barrels we made where 46" blanks.
Chrome moly or stainless?
What was the O.D./contour of the barrels?

LOL thats a helluva rifle man.. might as well mount that SOB on a turret.

Have to imagine some 20mm autocannon surplus powder would be better than any commercial .50 BMG powder, no?

@Frank Green did you ever mess around with flash tubes for these monstrous rounds? From what Ive read when you start getting to these 300+ gr capacity cases, a flash tube can really boost velocity in a huge way. IIRC the .50 Fat Mac(necked down shortened 20mm Vulcan case) used a flash tube and they were getting some nutty velocity from it.. LOL that 12.7x114 vs .50 BMG pic is wild, like a .308 vs .300 RUM. Have to imagine 750gr @ 3100 really aint even coming close to what the potential of this round could do with a truly optimized powder..

Last edited:
I’ll tell you a secret: the shooter fired at 2 nearby enemies, but he hit a separate one, 3 meters from the aiming point.
So technically this is a miss
Where you getting the brass from and what type of projectiles are you using besides AMAX? Are you using any of the MK263s?

Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
Where you getting the brass from and what type of projectiles are you using besides AMAX? Are you using any of the MK263s?
But I’ll tell you honestly, it’s not worth it.
This is a random hit and the caliber for this achievement does not need to be taken as a basis.