• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Unknown Soviet Rifle - MBO-1M Biathlon ?? can't find any info

buckstix

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2023
wisconsin
I just purchased an unusual rifle in 5.6 x39 caliber. It has a straight pull action. A tag attached said "MBO-1M" and "Soviet Biathlon".

I've searched high and low and can't find any pictures or information about it. Is this rare? Is this valuable?. Can you help? Here are some pictures.

bia-0.jpg

Reactions: M77
Here's a Wikipedia entry.

Might ask in Vintage Sniper. There's some quite knowledgeable people hanging out there.

Apparently used in this "Running Deer" competition. This article discusses a variant, but mentions that model.

Those old Biathlon rifles cannot be very common. Value? No idea.

Wikipedia has:
"In 1960, the sole event was the men's 20 km individual, with shooting at the four distances of 100, 150, 200 and 250 meters. From 1963, all biathletes switched to cartridges based on the 6.5 mm projectile. As a result, the Soviet Union developed the Bi-6.5 rifle and the new cartridge .220 Russian (5.6×39mm) (which would later lead to development of the famous 5.45×39mm military cartridge). The newly developed 5.6×39mm cartridge was also used in 100 meter running deer competitions in specially developed sport rifles such as the MBO-1M and MBO-2 (МБО-2 [ru]) straight pull rifles, as well as the MBO-3 pump rifle."

and:

"Designer A. E. Ozerov
Manufacturer Izhevsk Machine-Building Plant
Produced 1964-1972
The MBO-1 (МБО-1) is a Soviet bolt-action target rifle for competitive shooting sports (100 meter running deer exercise and Olympic games).[1]
The MBO-1 has heavy barrel with six grooves (420 mm twist rate) and non-detachable internal box magazine.[1]
All rifles had a wooden stock and fore-end.
Variants
MBO-1 (МБО-1) - first model, 4.3 kg, 730 mm barrel, diopter sight[1]
MBO-1M (МБО-1М) - second model, 5.0 kg, 680 mm barrel[1]
MBO-1K (МБО-1К)
MBO-2 (МБО-2) - last model, 5.0 kg, 560 mm barrel, with muzzle brake and optical sight"

I found a Finnish police gun auction list with one. That is both confiscated guns and otherwise surrendered to police. Manufacturer is listed as Izhevsk

Putting Izhevsk "MBO-1M" in google gives some results.

Hello All,
Thanks for the reply.

These rifles must be somewhat rare since I find no direct info about the BMO-1M. The picture of the MBO-3 looks very similar albeit a later pump version.

I'd sure like some opinion on value for insurance purposes, if anyone might have an opinion.