• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes US Optics Foundation series

When I'm wrong I'm wrong and I was absolutely wrong. This MGR reticle illumination is the bomb. I did a final level on my scope. Got the eye relief really set right. Then laid down in the basement looking at the double doors, into the horse pasture. I saw the same, not so great illumination. Couldn't really see any windage dots or drop down dots... But the longer I laid there and the more I really centered my eye on the center dot, walaa... Row of dots on the windage subtensions without the subtension hash Mark's being lit up. It looks like the website image... But, if you aren't lined up right, it wont look right. It has to be perfect. Which is a great idea for repeatability in low light. It still works when not lined up perfectly but it's a red tree with a center dot. I kinda jumped the gun on being upset. I was excited and still am about the levels of brightness. They absolutely nailed low light illumination. Did I tell everyone it was absolutely dead on? My first 2 shots at 100 were .2mil low. That was it... windage dead on. Both rounds absolutely right on top of each other. There's really nothing wrong here. Thanks US Optics. 10/10 would recommend. Cold and windy. I'll post some range day stuff soon.

I really went against my better judgment ordering it. I figured folks bashing them for QC were just your typical trolls. What you said about multiple failures is why I am just returning it. I'm not gonna play fix it for 3 months and then be the owner and stuck with it of something else goes wrong. End of this will be "I returned it".
When I'm wrong I'm wrong and I was absolutely wrong. This MGR reticle illumination is the bomb. I did a final level on my scope. Got the eye relief really set right. Then laid down in the basement looking at the double doors, into the horse pasture. I saw the same, not so great illumination. Couldn't really see any windage dots or drop down dots... But the longer I laid there and the more I really centered my eye on the center dot, walaa... Row of dots on the windage subtensions without the subtension hash Mark's being lit up. It looks like the website image... But, if you aren't lined up right, it wont look right. It has to be perfect. Which is a great idea for repeatability in low light. It still works when not lined up perfectly but it's a red tree with a center dot. I kinda jumped the gun on being upset. I was excited and still am about the levels of brightness. They absolutely nailed low light illumination. Did I tell everyone it was absolutely dead on? My first 2 shots at 100 were .2mil low. That was it... windage dead on. Both rounds absolutely right on top of each other. There's really nothing wrong here. Thanks US Optics. 10/10 would recommend. Cold and windy. I'll post some range day stuff soon.

I literally can’t make this shit up. ???

• Haha
Reactions: ken226
I still think it's wrong. Anyone have an MGR reticle? Does yours have illumination elevation Marks? I have a red line that goes from top to bottom. Theres absolutely no way to see any of the red dots unless you dip down below the line of sight. Setting 3 in the dark. Once you get below the line of sight, you get windage dots, you gett elevationdots. It looks like their photo but you can'tsee throughthe scope at the angle required to line things up. I'd swear that something is off. If they don't have the scope mounted to a rifle when checking illumination it would be really easy to mess up. It's not bleeding. Its out of alignment. Or this is just what they're going for. I think I have to send it in because I'll never believe that it's right. 2 red dots on the right side of windage. That's not bleeding. The entire reticle line is broken. Like litte segments. This photo shows the dots way better than I'm seeing them when lined up right. I just spent 39 minutes looking through it in every setting. Setting 2, is barley visibile. Setting 5 and up, bleeding light for sure. But the is no setting or light condition, that gives me anything other than an unusable red line from top to bottom. Unless I move below the line of sight and then, there's the dots

Attachments

• 20200409_210229.jpg
    20200409_210229.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
I still think it's wrong. Anyone have an MGR reticle? Does yours have illumination elevation Marks? I have a red line that goes from top to bottom. Theres absolutely no way to see any of the red dots unless you dip down below the line of sight. Setting 3 in the dark. Once you get below the line of sight, you get windage dots, you gett elevationdots. It looks like their photo but you can'tsee throughthe scope at the angle required to line things up. I'd swear that something is off. If they don't have the scope mounted to a rifle when checking illumination it would be really easy to mess up. It's not bleeding. Its out of alignment. Or this is just what they're going for. I think I have to send it in because I'll never believe that it's right. 2 red dots on the right side of windage. That's not bleeding. The entire reticle line is broken. Like litte segments. This photo shows the dots way better than I'm seeing them when lined up right. I just spent 39 minutes looking through it in every setting. Setting 2, is barley visibile. Setting 5 and up, bleeding light for sure.
Can you not get a better picture? Looks like an illuminated reticle in your pictures from what I can see. Lol

I still think it's wrong. Anyone have an MGR reticle? Does yours have illumination elevation Marks? I have a red line that goes from top to bottom. Theres absolutely no way to see any of the red dots unless you dip down below the line of sight. Setting 3 in the dark. Once you get below the line of sight, you get windage dots, you gett elevationdots. It looks like their photo but you can'tsee throughthe scope at the angle required to line things up. I'd swear that something is off. If they don't have the scope mounted to a rifle when checking illumination it would be really easy to mess up. It's not bleeding. Its out of alignment. Or this is just what they're going for. I think I have to send it in because I'll never believe that it's right. 2 red dots on the right side of windage. That's not bleeding. The entire reticle line is broken. Like litte segments. This photo shows the dots way better than I'm seeing them when lined up right. I just spent 39 minutes looking through it in every setting. Setting 2, is barley visibile. Setting 5 and up, bleeding light for sure.
Can you not get a better picture? Looks like an illuminated reticle in your pictures from what I can see. Lol
Dude. That's exactly how it looks

Nikon d500 and Tamron 24/70 g2. Only posting this now because I was waiting for low light and then night time. Doesn't matter the conditions. I get this. Unless I move below the line of sight. If it is right, what good does a solid red line do for elevation? When they get it back and see, they'll agree. I really wish I could just look through another one. Hop on the bike and head to NC?

Attachments

• 20200409_215917.jpg
    20200409_215917.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 141
What I paid for. So yeah. If anyone else has the mgr reticle. I'd love to see yours.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200409-220853_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200409-220853_Gallery.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 115
Nikon d500 and Tamron 24/70 g2. Only posting this now because I was waiting for low light and then night time. Doesn't matter the conditions. I get this. Unless I move below the line of sight. If it is right, what good does a solid red line do for elevation? When they get it back and see, they'll agree. I really wish I could just look through another one. Hop on the bike and head to NC?

I have other make scopes with hold over dot illumination Horus and Gen2XL..none of them exhibit what you have even in high settings.

Reactions: D loop darrell
Okay so if I am "reading" this correctly and looking at the illuminated MGR it uses the same system like the horus where only certain dots are the illumination points that are then supposed to illuminate the surrounding area. But in your case you are only seeing the horizontal subtensions and not the vertical mil marks? So all you're seeing is a straight line.
I have other make scopes with hold over dot illumination Horus and Gen2XL..none of them exhibit what you have even in high settings.
Yep I remember my H59 used the same hold over dot illumination but that would still illuminate the rest of the reticle.

It's junk. I said early on this thread I have zero brand loyalty and if its fucked up I'll say it. Its junk. It's in the box. Just need a return label. I'll never use USoptic anything. Any mother fucker on this planet that knows how to look through a scope could have seen this. I feel like Josh already knew and had planned a reticle swap because "Its light bleed! Mine looks the same." Bull fucking shit. If you duck down and look through the bottom of the eyepiece, the illumination and reticle line up. But you cant use the scope like that. At max elevation and close, you have to start ducking down to look through the bottom of the scope. After waiting this long. You don't get a do ever. Its junk. Probably going NF atacr. My old scope ran out of elevation at the range down here. That was the whole point of this.

Warne scope mount ftw btw ?? super low profile 34mm mount. Flush bolt heads with nothing protruding. Good luck folks!

Attachments

• IMG_20200410_001704_276.jpg
    IMG_20200410_001704_276.jpg
    994.4 KB · Views: 64
Okay so if I am "reading" this correctly and looking at the illuminated MGR it uses the same system like the horus where only certain dots are the illumination points that are then supposed to illuminate the surrounding area. But in your case you are only seeing the horizontal subtensions and not the vertical mil marks? So all you're seeing is a straight line.

Yep I remember my H59 used the same hold over dot illumination but that would still illuminate the rest of the reticle.

None of the mine ever had bleed over past the dots to illuminate the rest of the reticle Nor would I accept any that had this. Not for mine and not for damn sure on any contract orders I accepted.

It's junk. I said early on this thread I have zero brand loyalty and if its fucked up I'll say it. Its junk. It's in the box. Just need a return label. I'll never use USoptic anything. Any mother fucker on this planet that knows how to look through a scope could have seen this. I feel like Josh already knew and had planned a reticle swap because "Its light bleed! Mine looks the same." Bull fucking shit. If you duck down and look through the bottom of the eyepiece, the illumination and reticle line up. But you cant use the scope like that. At max elevation and close, you have to start ducking down to look through the bottom of the scope. After waiting this long. You don't get a do ever. Its junk. Probably going NF atacr. My old scope ran out of elevation at the range down here. That was the whole point of this.

Listen friend, if you dont think its right then dont accept it.
There's a reason only a few companies get the big agency and military day optic contracts and it's not because they are the cheapest like some will have you believe.

None of the mine ever had bleed over past the dots to illuminate the rest of the reticle Nor would I accept any that had this. Not for mine and not for damn sure on any contract orders I accepted.
I should clarify. When going to minimum power needed only the dots would illuminate. Now when I cranked the illumination to max the dots were the only truly illuminated points but I could see more of the reticle with the light.
Listen friend, if you dont think its right then dont accept it.
There's a reason only a few companies get the big agency and military day optic contracts and it's not because they are the cheapest like some will have you believe.
This.
But I am almost certain that uso will not refund you for a scope that has been mounted. So best case send it for a full QC and either get a new reticle or sell it. But heads up resale on USO is pretty low.

When they get it, they'll see. Maybe! Pased how many hands n eyes already. Tbays the part that pisses me off. Shows up with a dead battery. Get that changed. Turn it in. Looks good. You couldn9even see this issue without mounting it. You could easl9look through at the right angle to make the light and reticle align. Anyways. Well see. Be a hard company to keep going pissing off folks that bad.

This has NOTHING to do with light bleeding. There is an element put of alignment or the light is out of alignment.

Last year I bought 2 scopes a month apart , a B-25 with H-102 reticle and a PM2 5-45 , I had both for about 2 weeks , I had the USO on a ,22 pcp gun and I was shooting targets , Hunting season was still open , I saw a squirrel about 143 yards away , I aimed where I saw him and saw nothing , I reached to open cap and realized I never shut it , Something internally blocked entire reticle , I sent scope in , long story after many calls 4 months later it was returned and and the turret cap was installed wrong and things were not tightened , Luckily I was able to fix it m when I first spoke to them they laughed and said ohh must be the ocular covering , I said geese this isnt funny what if it had happened in battle ,

While that scope was being repaired , I was using my PM2 5-45 on a PCP 30 cal shooting spinners , while dialing I saw something inside of glass , it looked like a bugs leg , I called SB they apologized gave me a label and it was back to me in 9 days and they actually called me a week later to confirm I was happy ,

So while any thing can have a problem , I did not like USO service or attitude ,
But I read alot of bad turrets I actually like USO turrets I never had an issue what actually fails on them ?
LOU

So, I checked my MGR reticle last night in a B25 because this post is getting kind of insane. My reticle does that too when I crank the power up on the illumination. The dots are clearly the prominent thing lit however the brighter you go, the more it bleeds. And yes my hash marks lit up too. and yes, the more you are off center, the worse it looks.

I checked it with my Theta to see if it was just a USO thing. The Theta did the same thing when not positioned correctly and cranking up the illumination. In complete transparency the Theta’s illumination was a little more clear and precise but not by much. Maybe this is why Leupold doesn’t like to use illumination.....

To the OP, all scopes are going to do the same thing, some more than others. My guess is either you are expecting something to be perfect or believing something to look like something which it isn’t. Have you ever looked through other high end scopes before, especially with the illumination on? If not, maybe you should do that before you start talking about something you know nothing about.

Hopefully, you eventually get happy with the outcome. You seem to really like the scope and it would be a shame for you to eventually realize there was nothing wrong with it.

I have one and yes I agree with the Illumination , it does bleed to lines and if not aligned perfect and turned up , If I do compare it to say my PM2 scopes just that part , they are similar ,

So, I checked my MGR reticle last night in a B25 because this post is getting kind of insane. My reticle does that too when I crank the power up on the illumination. *** The dots are clearly the prominent thing lit ***

I have zero dots on the elevation or windage. None. Zero. I have illuminated hash Mark's gor windage and a red line for elevation. I've checked all settings in day, night. Gloomy... THIS IS NOT LIGHT BLEEDING. The reticle and illumination are out of alignment.

See no dots? This is the reticle at all brightness levels and conditions. If you look straight through the bottom of the scope (which blacks out your fov) all of the sudden you get the reticle that it should be. I would bet you everything I own that if you looked through this you would say "Oh yeah. That's clearly fucked up."

Attachments

• 20200409_214932.jpg
    20200409_214932.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 94
Poorboy! You're in ohio? You busy today? Be great to have someone else see this before it goes back.

Sent!
Last year I bought 2 scopes a month apart , a B-25 with H-102 reticle and a PM2 5-45 , I had both for about 2 weeks , I had the USO on a ,22 pcp gun and I was shooting targets , Hunting season was still open , I saw a squirrel about 143 yards away , I aimed where I saw him and saw nothing , I reached to open cap and realized I never shut it , Something internally blocked entire reticle , I sent scope in , long story after many calls 4 months later it was returned and and the turret cap was installed wrong and things were not tightened , Luckily I was able to fix it m when I first spoke to them they laughed and said ohh must be the ocular covering , I said geese this isnt funny what if it had happened in battle ,

While that scope was being repaired , I was using my PM2 5-45 on a PCP 30 cal shooting spinners , while dialing I saw something inside of glass , it looked like a bugs leg , I called SB they apologized gave me a label and it was back to me in 9 days and they actually called me a week later to confirm I was happy ,

So while any thing can have a problem , I did not like USO service or attitude ,
But I read alot of bad turrets I actually like USO turrets I never had an issue what actually fails on them ?
LOU
I like the turrets. I like the design.

It's snowing and raining ? Folks, if you read this far, here's my calm final take "USoptics FDN17 is great. I love the big turret knob. Their new zeroing system with the elevation screw is probably going to be one of the most accurate designs ever. Your elevation zero is not limited to 1 click of mil or moa. You can fine tune your zero like never before. The glass is right up there with everyone else. I like how it looks. But, unfortunately, I recieved a scope like many other have complained about. Needs work right out of the box. It's good Friday and a 3 day weekend. It's gonna stay in the box and I'll call them Monday. I am 110% positive that either my reticle glass is low, tilted, or the led is simply aimed the wrong way. There is absolutely no way they built the rest of the scope to the standards they did, and then let the illumination look like it's off a low end Barska."

It's snowing and raining ? Folks, if you read this far, here's my calm final take "USoptics FDN17 is great. I love the big turret knob. Their new zeroing system with the elevation screw is probably going to be one of the most accurate designs ever. Your elevation zero is not limited to 1 click of mil or moa. You can fine tune your zero like never before. The glass is right up there with everyone else. I like how it looks. But, unfortunately, I recieved a scope like many other have complained about. Needs work right out of the box. It's good Friday and a 3 day weekend. It's gonna stay in the box and I'll call them Monday. I am 110% positive that either my reticle glass is low, tilted, or the led is simply aimed the wrong way. There is absolutely no way they built the rest of the scope to the standards they did, and then let the illumination look like it's off a low end Barska."

They will get it fixed.

It sucks that it made it out the door that way, but I doubt anyone mounts scopes to s rifle during the QC process. It definitely sucks to have to return it.

Do a few searches here on this forum for broken scopes, and youll pretty quickly see how often they have problems. If you count those threads and sort by brand, Nightforce and Vortex reflect the highest number of broke scope threads.
Most would argue that Nightforce and Vortex have the most scopes in circulation, therefore, should have the highest number of returns. That may even be true, but in the absence of actual sales data, it's just a guess.

It happens. The important part is how they deal with it.

I’m glad the you like the scope and feel it’s solid. I would let US Optics take a look at it before you pass judgement. Especially since you have already spoken to USO and they are trying to make you happy.

Maybe do a reticle swap if you are unhappy with the way the MGR lights up. Im sure they will do it to make you happy, especially since you like the optic.

Got a shipping label. It's frustrating. I get worked up. I also don't hold grudges. Took photos with the scope off just now. One is looking straight through. The other is looking straight through but through the bottom.

Attachments

• 20200410_112006.jpg
    20200410_112006.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 98
Do you have the illumination completely turned up? If you do, it is always going to bleed, with any scope.

I can see the dots that are supposed to be lit. I still think your issue is because your illumination is turned up way too high.

Either way, I hope everything works out for you.

If the illumination is turned all the way up, the bleed is always asymmetrical since the emitter is shining from one side.

Without looking at the scope, I can't really diagnose too much, but with quite a few designs, if the illumination is too bright and the eyepiece rotated all the way out, the illuminated pattern will look displaced compared to the dark reticle lines. I am not 100% sure why that happens.

As far as through the scope pictures go, turn the f-stop on your lens all the way down to f/16 or thereabouts. It will be much easier to take a good picture.

ILya

If the illumination is turned all the way up, the bleed is always asymmetrical since the emitter is shining from one side.

Without looking at the scope, I can't really diagnose too much, but with quite a few designs, if the illumination is too bright and the eyepiece rotated all the way out, the illuminated pattern will look displaced compared to the dark reticle lines. I am not 100% sure why that happens.

As far as through the scope pictures go, turn the f-stop on your lens all the way down to f/16 or thereabouts. It will be much easier to take a good picture.

ILya
It was with my phone. Its dropped off at ups now. Once again, any setting in light dark, shady, anything. There are no dots on anything unless you look through the very bottom of the scope. This has nothing to do with light bleeding.

It was with my phone. Its dropped off at ups now. Once again, any setting in light dark, shady, anything. There are no dots on anything unless you look through the very bottom of the scope. This has nothing to do with light bleeding.

I am sure they will make it right. Phone, weirdly, works pretty well for quick through the scope pictures, especially if you have an add on telephoto lens, like those Moment makes.

To be honest with you, I am having a really hard time figuring out what causes that effect unless the reticle maker really screwed up with the etch and fill process. I do not think I have ever seen anything like that.

ILya

@D loop darrell you have made this a shit show and a roller coaster of a thread. One hour you love it the next you hate it. I can no longer take your comments as an accurate depiction and might all be user error.

Sad to see for any company to have someone come online and trash them and their reputation on a new product before letting customer service have a look and reserve judgement until then. They all had their issues, kahles, S&B, ZCO and evening tangent theta and that’s just between me and a buddy in the last 18 months on a handful of scopes we’ve owned or currently owned. Welcome to the bleeding edge as a first adopter.

I understand being frustrated and coming here for advice possible solutions but damn man let the company work it out and come back when all said and done.

@D loop darrell you have made this a shit show and a roller coaster of a thread. One hour you love it the next you hate it. I can no longer take your comments as an accurate depiction and might all be user error.

Sad to see for any company to have someone come online and trash them and their reputation on a new product before letting customer service have a look and reserve judgement until then. They all had their issues, kahles, S&B, ZCO and evening tangent theta and that’s just between me and a buddy in the last 18 months on a handful of scopes we’ve owned or currently owned. Welcome to the bleeding edge as a first adopter.

I understand being frustrated and coming here for advice possible solutions but damn man let the company work it out and come back when all said and done.
I'll do what've want. Thanks! 6 months is a long wait for something to he screwed up whether it's a scope, a landscaping project, or anything else.

Yep and that’s frustrating. I’ve done the same on higher dollar scopes. Wait and issues. But I waited until customer service took care of it and I was able to give an accurate accounting that there was an issue and how well they attended to it. They don’t call it the bleeding edge for no reason. Take your gripes to a new thread don’t clutter up one dedicated to a new product.
By the way you sound like my 3 year old with “I’ll do what I want”

I think
I am sure they will make it right. Phone, weirdly, works pretty well for quick through the scope pictures, especially if you have an add on telephoto lens, like those Moment makes.

To be honest with you, I am having a really hard time figuring out what causes that effect unless the reticle maker really screwed up with the etch and fill process. I do not think I have ever seen anything like that.

ILya
Once I really started trying to figure things out is when I looked at it at an angle. That's when all the dots showed up. Its like "Damn it. There are dots. This doesn't thing to do with bleeding." I think they'll fix. I wont deny that I get mad! More of shocked, then vent, then over it ?‍♂️ Especially since, I ignored others who bashed us optics over qc issues. It is what it is. I'm not screaming mad or anything. I was laying in the barn as the sun went down last night just checking everything. Then, to have people tell me that "Its light bleeding" when I know damn it isn't, really didnt help me either. I'll let y'all know what happens. If they say that how they all are, im gonna call them liars and demand my money back. Because I know damn well, that anyone who looks at the bdc dots and just see a soul red bar, isn't gonna keep that. Nobody would make that on purpose. Anyways. Have a good weekend folks!

I hope somebody else starts a thread about US Optics so people who want actual info and user experiences don't have to read thru all this bullshit like I just did.
I agree! I have a 50% off certificate from them sponsoring a shoot (Thank you for your support U.S. Optics) and was following this to decide what I wanted to use it on. I’ll make my own decision without regard to all the griping over the last 5-7 years and everyone dog piling on.

Precision Rifle Media podcast
| PRM 145 - US Optics w Josh, let's play it!

I hope somebody else starts a thread about US Optics so people who want actual info and user experiences don't have to read thru all this bullshit like I just did.

At the start of this thread. I was saying g the same thing, about people complaining about the exact same thing, that just happened to me. I'll go find it!

My first USO in 2005 was a Canadian TPAL. It had issues. It was repaired then sold. After that I dealt exclusively with Jeff F. He set me up as a dealer due to the volume I was buying. I've got 5 in service now, all predating the sale by John, that have been rock solid. 1.5-6, a few 10X fixed, a 1.8-10, 3.2-17. If you ever see a large number EREK turret you can thank me for their design and production. I came up with a few basic specs that kept the scopes functional yet simple and reasonably priced. Hooked several friends up with them and all still functional to date. Can't comment at all on the state of things post the sale with the current crew.

You're allowed to be mad. Shit happens. I didn't wanna post anything other than "Hell yes! Got my fdn 17 and it's great!" And that's what I did. Later that day as I looked at it more, I noticed it just wasn't right. So yeah. This this for me has been up and down. I never thought I'd really post here again. It was done. 6mo wait. Got my scope. Its awesome! But nope... update update update. By all means order away! One post a guy said "US optics are a great manufacturer IF you get a good scope." Went on some rant about josh. I laughed at him, like you're laughing at me. Thanks not my fault. Anyways. I'll delete all of this bs once there's a resolution good or bad.

You're allowed to be mad. Shit happens. I didn't wanna post anything other than "Hell yes! Got my fdn 17 and it's great!" And that's what I did. Later that day as I looked at it more, I noticed it just wasn't right. So yeah. This this for me has been up and down. I never thought I'd really post here again. It was done. 6mo wait. Got my scope. Its awesome! But nope... update update update. By all means order away! One post a guy said "US optics are a great manufacturer IF you get a good scope." Went on some rant about josh. I laughed at him, like you're laughing at me. Thanks not my fault. Anyways. I'll delete all of this bs once there's a resolution good or bad.

Don't get discouraged Darrell, these things happen. At least it's a scope and not a $50,000 truck. ? They'll get it fixed, or they'll swap it out for another.

A company that's just getting settled and starting a new product line has a strong vested interest in getting you taken care of. @Maggie is aware of this thread, and how many people are going to see it. There's no chance they're gonna screw you over.

You'll come away happy in the end. I have no doubt.

@D loop darrell
I just went to the garage and checked how my illumination was. I have to say it’s about perfect on my jvcr. Even at the highest setting in the dim garage with lights off it did not bleed much. I wanted to get a picture posted but it just doesn’t look the same in the picture. It wouldn’t do it justice. Get it sent back so they can look at it. Hopefully they get it turned around in reasonable time. Why did you choose the mgr reticle?