• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft USMC Snipers: Hate the A4 Stock on the M40A3?

earthquake

Area Man
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2009
    USA
    I've been talking with a former STA buddy (he's still in) and I asked him how he likes the M40A3 vs. the old A1 which I used. I've been out since the Corps switched. He was with 1/8 during the battle of Fallujah. Anyway, he and his plt. didn't like them very much. For those of you who've used them while in the Corps or in combat, are your experiences similar?

Here's what he wrote me: (name witheld)

<span style="font-style: italic">M40A3 is absolutely horrible, Battalions were fighting to keep M40A1 as long as possible. Once it went in for 180 day maintenance they swapped the stocks and screwed everyone. Stock is way too heavy and bulky. If it was strictly a benchrest rifle it would be good but last time I checked we still have to carry our rifles around and shoot from field expedient positions.</span>

His personal opinion from first hand experience.

Re: USMC Snipers: Hate the A4 Stock on the M40A3?

It's why they (MCM) made the A5, I asked Kelly why the hell on the A4, and he said or asked what you do, and eventually the A5 was born out of that simple question.

I think originally it was designed to have an AI type bipod attachment!

Some of the guys that i was in a STA platoon with hate them, they say that they are to buky and heavy. I let them play with my A5 and every single one of them said they wished the A3s had the A5 stock instead of the A4. I dont mind them, but that rifle is one heavy SOB

COfox who's your buddy? and tell him to call brad. i was in that platoon during that time. i share his same sentiment. the bipod was nice but not worth all the rest. plus once we got to Iraq they took my unertl and gave me a damn PVS 10 so not only was it even more heavy it was huge target indicator during the day time. it almost made you not want to put your gun up expecialy after what happend to Ski.

Viper, pm sent.

That's why I carried my Mk11 in Iraq. My buddy always carried his 40 for some reason, even though we had another Mk11 and a XM-3. Most people in my Plt. (1/7) like the 40.

it serves a good purpose but with the urban enviroment i would have killed for a mk11.

The M40A3 is a Great rifle but he is right that stock is better served for Benchrest shooting it is a little bulking compared to the A1. Just wondering if his unit allows him to swap to the stocks they want? Some units in the Army and the Navy as well as the Marines will let you at your expense of course swap the stock as long as it is approved buy the unit commander and the armor approves it and then you go to the range prior to deployment. That sucks to not be comfortable with the rifle you carry in combat. That sucks for him man I know I would hate not carry for what is your lifeline.

Damn, I didn't realize the A3 was that much heavier than the A5. What is the difference?

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn, I didn't realize the A3 was that much heavier than the A5. What is the difference?

okie </div></div>
    You mean A4 vs A5?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn, I didn't realize the A3 was that much heavier than the A5. What is the difference?

okie </div></div>

It's not, the A4 is the pig.

I don't like the A4 and the A5 is only a little better. The A3 is a better stock in my opinion and I wish McMillan would produce an A3 rear and an A5 front, but for some reason McMillan is reluctant to, and it has been suggested. I know a whole lot of guys that would love to see just that configuration.

It was designed with benchrest shooters in mind.... not snipers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn, I didn't realize the A3 was that much heavier than the A5. What is the difference?

okie </div></div>
    You mean A4 vs A5? </div></div>

Yeah, I meant the A4 stock. Thats what was being talked about. Sorry. Oh, and I meant what is the difference in weight?

okie

There won't be much of a difference in weight if both stocks are built to similar specs with things like sniper fill, adjustable LOP, and a saddle cheek piece. Both the A4 and A5 can be made lighter than the USMC-spec A4 but the big difference comes in the ergonomics of the two stocks.