• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Value of very nice wood - Rough Cut Stock for rifle

LoanHarvey

I am Harvdog!
Banned !
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2014
Walla Walla, WA
www.loanharvey.com
Does anyone know an estimated value for a piece of really nice wood stock for making a rifle stock? It is simply cut the basic dimensions of a stock, but needs complete work to make it an actual workable stock. Just the value of a piece of wood. Ideas please?

It has to be professionally graded. Only then will it have any more value than a standard, run of the mill blank.

I do not remember what kind of wood it is, but it is fairly high quality. It is just a blank that I would be buying from a private party. Any ideas whatsoever? Like, are we possibly talking $50 or $150 or $250?
My smith would charge $300 to shape it like I want it. Looking for estimates of a blank only please.
I thank you guys!!

theres lots of woods that look nice. I could say high quality next to anything but its actually not. Pics are critical for wood. not trying to be a downer or anything. I dont know much about wood but I know a little.

Depends on the kind of wood, the color and grain structure, and how well the buyer likes it. I've seen blanks that sold for $2000.

How old is the wood? A tree is under stress when it is alive. once it is cut and sawed into blanks that stress begins to relieve itself. Most people wait 5 or more years before contouring a rifle stock from the time the wood is rough sawed.

Too many variables to tell. Pictures will help but as stated above, it must be dried properly for some time before it is of any use. You can find nice "looking" stock blanks from $50 to $3000. Probably the most sought after right now is Turkish walnut. Do a search online and you'll start to get an idea.

Generally speaking, the premium walnut for gunstocks is Juglans Regia. It has the best balance of density, weight, strength and workability. The first thing a blank needs is appropriate layout. This means that the grain of the wood, through the area that will be the wrist of the stock, goes in a relatively straight line from the forend to the butt. This is the stock's weakest point. How fancy the stock is where the value is. Look for lots of grain, different colors, equalness of pattern from one side to another, and on and on. As to cost, that's hopeless. Go on E-bay and you can find what looks to be a pretty piece of wood for a couple of hundred bucks. Go to Purdey, Fabbri or other high end makers and an upgraded blank might cost you another $5K+. Grading wood is a little like grading diamonds, you either know exactly what you're doing or you don't know s__t. You and I fall into the second category.

If your smith knows something about wood, seek his advice. If he doesn't check layout through the hand and if it looks good offer the guy fifty bucks. Show him some of the blanks on E-Bay, he'll tell you what he wants. If he wants over a buck and a half, pass. It might be the deal of a lifetime or it might be sapwood.

Another problem is you don't know what you have until you complete the stock. I have had several stocks that were a $2,000 piece of wood on one side and a $200 piece on the other!! I would not pay very much for a stock blank.

My friend who builds flintlocks often pays 1-2 thousand dollars for really nice curly maple.

A family member is a hobbiest wood worker.

He harvested some olive trees, cut the wood in half and said that it is at least 3 years of drying before he will turn the wood.

You can find wood blanks for sale and as others have said, they type of wood, quality and size all to into the price.

It starts with $1,000.00 Then it tops out around $4,500.00 That's the most I've ever seen one for anyway.

Yes, I just said that. I once had a piece of American Black valued around $1500 that tempted me jerk off every time I look at it.

Ok Guys, I just spoke to the woodworker and we discussed the blank. He said it is Black Walnut and has been drying for over 5 years. He said it has a Bark Inclusion that will need to be chipped out and filled. He said he did some research and found that generally speaking it could bring anywhere from $50 - $800. Because I am a friend of the family, he said he would give it to me for $50 and six pack of bud. Of course for $50, I said that I would take it. I have seen this in his shop, and when he sprayed it with a water mister bottle, the grain just jumps right out. Very pretty. I will pick it up tomorrow and post some pics.

What do you guys think so far?
Thank you all very much for your input.

Like others have said..it depends on the type of wood. But don't get too hung up on the grade. I have seen average grade blanks turn out way better than top dollar ones. In all honesty, the outcome of the stock will depend on the guy carving it. It is an art. And expect to pay top dollar for quality work. For example…here is a $750 piece of claro walnut….ie low / middle grade:

PART_1393098214530_zpsf3ff96a7.jpg
[/URL]

and here is what it can become in the hands of a good wood carving gun smith (who I happen to know personally)

20140615_081031_zpsba3fc510.jpg
[/URL]

20140615_081050_zps7149b26e.jpg
[/URL]

Melonited BAT HR Action 30.06 with a Brux 25in barrel, jewel trigger, monte carlo stock with cast off. All hand checkered. Dark clark walnut end and grip caps. If you want to know how much the carving cost then ask and I will tell, but it aint cheap. Its the most comfortable stock I own. Beats any synthetic stock by far.

Like others have said..it depends on the type of wood. But don't get too hung up on the grade. I have seen average grade blanks turn out way better than top dollar ones. In all honesty, the outcome of the stock will depend on the guy carving it. It is an art. And expect to pay top dollar for quality work. For example…here is a $750 piece of claro walnut….ie low / middle grade:

PART_1393098214530_zpsf3ff96a7.jpg
[/URL]

and here is what it can become in the hands of a good wood carving gun smith (who I happen to know personally)

20140615_081031_zpsba3fc510.jpg
[/URL]

20140615_081050_zps7149b26e.jpg
[/URL]

Melonited BAT HR Action 30.06 with a Brux 25in barrel, jewel trigger, monte carlo stock with cast off. All hand checkered. Dark clark walnut end and grip caps. If you want to know how much the carving cost then ask and I will tell, but it aint cheap. Its the most comfortable stock I own. Beats any synthetic stock by far.

That is incredible!! Wow! I would ask please, how much were you charged to carve that? And what would it have been if there was no checkering? My retired smith said he would charge me $300 to carve mine out. He has been building rifles for 35 years, and he had one hanging in his shop when I was there. He was putting the final clear coat on it. He said there would be about 30 hours of hand time on it. Again, he is retired and does this for a hobby. Thank you for the information.

We also discussed pillers and aluminum blocks. He said that he fully beds the action and has never had a problem with accuracy. He also stated that the pillars and bedding blocks are just a bunch of hype in his opinion, that a full bedded action in a quality wood stock will absolutely do the job just as well as these stocks we are buying with the aluminum. Thoughts on this???

Last edited:
The cost to have yours carved may be cheaper because it is already rough shaped. But to take my blank from blocked to finished stock went like this…and this is a personal friend of mine that did it. So I got a little break on the price.

Carve Stock: $1800
Decel Pad / Install: $90
Tip / Grip Caps: $100
Cast off: $100
Checkering: $400
Pillar bed and Free float: $175
Bluing: $175

Cost to have stock made = $2840 CASH (he had about 80-90hrs into the stock)

My friend took pictures along the way. Documenting the entire process. And he also burned them onto a CD for me. So I have the complete history of the stock and rifle in picture form. It is fun to look at them and see the project "take shape" (lol). I put them in an album and keep it in the case with the gun. Because inevitably when I shooting it, people want to know about it. So I let them flip through the pictures.

Doing a project like this is expensive…But the result is a one of a kind heirloom quality rifle. I plan on having ONE more carved in my life time….same exact style but for a .270 win. One son will get this 30.06, and my other son will get the .270. And some day I hope I see my grandkids get these handed down to them.

I have many custom "tactical style" rifles…in Manners and McMillan stocks, all different calibers, expensive scopes, suppressors, etc….and I like them for what they are. But at the range, or on hunting trips, they look pretty much like factory made rifles that "joe shmoe" has. But when I pull out this wood stocked 30.06, it turns heads. and the people that "know" guns and gunsmithing understand what goes into a gun like this…and it makes me proud to own it, and even more proud that MY friend carved it, and MY other friend chambered it.

Oh, I almost forgot. Its an absolute hammer. I shoot the 165g Sierra Game Kings HPBT at the moment (PA white tail deer). It will bug hole at 100yds. 1/2 MOA or better out longer. The length of pull is perfect, and the cast off gets my eye down the midline of the scope instantly. Feels, looks, and shoots like a dream. By far my favorite gun. I hope to bag my first elk and moose with it.

$300 to carve your stock….even though its "rough shaped"….does not sound right to me. AT ALL. I would ask to see some pictures of the work he has done in the past. And ask him what "style" that is for. If you have more questions let me know.

Last edited:
I had a friend that charged $4000 to make a stock from a blank. His price was based on 100 hours labor at $40 per hour. His price was the same if it was rough turned or a raw blank.

Right Side Stock.jpgLeft Side Stock.jpgBark Inclusion.jpg

Here are photos of the stock blank. It is Black Walnut that has dried for 8 years. It comes from the crotch of the tree as you can see the grain. There is a Bark Inclusion in the trigger area that may/probably need some epoxy work to fill in. The local woodworker had a rough estimate of value between $100-$800. If anyone can give me some input as to an approx. value, I would appreciate that. Thank you.

I confirmed with my smith, that he would charge me the same whether I used my blank or his. He is building me a left handed stock with a thumbhole, that will fit a right handed action.
The price quoted is $300 for the woodwork. I have seen 2 of his finished products now, and they are absolutely beautiful and not unlike those shown by Jig Stick. Again, this guy is retired, and spends most of his time gathering fire wood in the summer and building rifles in the winter time. What input do you have for me please. Thank you again. Edited to add: The stock will come finished with a pachmayr decelerator.

Last edited:
Is that can of tap magic missing the lid? He probably did not put the drills and tap away either. Let those guys use your shop and they make a mess.

It's hard to tell exactly what you've got from pictures but you asked for input so here is mine. If I had that piece of wood and was trying to find a market for it, I would try to find someone who works with high grade shotguns and sell it as a forend blank.

Its hard to say how it would come out. The grain pattern changes so much once you start getting into it. It does have heavy marbling at the butt end, but it looks very plain at the other. Im still shocked at the price he is offering. Im not sure I would carve that blank. I just don't think its a decent piece of wood. Put it this way, if I knew you were selling that blank, I would have offered you $80 for it so I could whack off a piece of the marbled part, and I would of used it for my grip and end cap.

Its hard to say how it would come out. The grain pattern changes so much once you start getting into it. It does have heavy marbling at the butt end, but it looks very plain at the other. Im still shocked at the price he is offering. Im not sure I would carve that blank. I just don't think its a decent piece of wood. Put it this way, if I knew you were selling that blank, I would have offered you $80 for it so I could whack off a piece of the marbled part, and I would of used it for my grip and end cap.

Thank you Jig Stick. I acquired the wood from a family friend who has had it setting around for years. I have not yet taken it to my smith for his review. I should be seeing smith this weekend. He is working on a thumb hole stock for me in a lighter piece of wood which I explained earlier in the post. If he is interested in this blank, then great. If not, I will probably put it up here for offers. Thank you for your opinion.

300UM1.jpg300UM2.jpg300UM3.jpg300UM4.jpg300UM5.jpg

I wanted to report back and show you guys the work my smith does. Here is one he just finished for a rancher. It's a 300UM! Obviously this is a left handed cut, just like the one he is doing for me, except mine will be fitted to a RH action. He has a very nice piece of wood I picked out from his stash, and he is trickin it out with Rose Wood on the grip cap and the foreend. Total cost for woodwork, including wood and pachmayr pad is $300. I guess I found a heck of a guy that does this in the winter and off months to keep busy and help pay the bills. Regarding the blank I posted with the bark inclusion, he said the wood is probably AA, but not quite exhibition grade. He also said it will be weak in the trigger area, but it will turn out beautiful. We decided that he will dig into this and see how deep the bark inclusion actually is, and if it is salvageable he is going to do a light weight 22-250 for me with a Shileen Match barrel he has. Let me know what ya think you wood guys! Thanks for your opinions.

If you look in the picture in his shop, you can kind of see a dual router set up. He sets one that is done up as a template, then roughs it out with the pattern. He then finishes the rough router cut all by hand. He is absolutely fantastic! A very nice man he is!! He treats me very well!

While we are on the subject.... I have some blanks. Anyone can lead me as well to get a value on them. Here are a coupleImageUploadedByTapatalk1410470935.613205.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1410470952.380626.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1410470966.456824.jpg
Thanks!