• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

VA's "instant" background check?

Tripwire

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2006
VA
Been a while since I purchased a handgun but at last memory I waited no more than 10 minutes for my purchase to be "approved" by the SP.

My call-in was submitted yesterday morning, and was right away put on "delay". Was told this has been the norm since about last November.

Called this morning to see if it went through and was told that two before me were approved, one that was submitted on the 20th, and one on the 21st. I'm in the top three now waiting for approval with 10 more behind me.

Never have experienced this with VA's firearm purchase laws/system so if it were just a recent temporary thing I'd attribute it to simple system hiccups or a high volume of purchases for that day, but for it to be normal for the past several months just isn't normal.

It brings to light the speculation that the SP can infact enforce a lengthy waiting period if they so desire, just by not approving a purchase "instantly". This goes against the grain with everything gun related in this state for the most part as VA is usually one of the more 2A friendly states.

Any more speculation, and or actual fact, surrounding/concerning this apparent failure of the "instant" background check here in VA?

Re: VA's "instant" background check?

Sounds like you have the double check thing we have here in CO (thanks to the stupid NRA) but even then I've never had to wait more than 45 or so mins for a background check and the last one I did took about 10 mins.

Bloomburg.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bloomburg. </div></div>

Yeah that makes tons of sense....the mayor of NYC having some sort of influence on <span style="font-style: italic">anything</span> in the Commonwealth of Virginia, especially with the most gun friendly political atmosphere we've had here in a <span style="font-style: italic">long</span> time at the state level.

Surely I'm not the only VA resident here that's bought a handgun recently.......anyone else have a similar experience?

Or an explanation for it?

Bought a handgun at the beginning of February, and was delayed (4) days. Kind of ridiculous, seeing as I've never been arrested, been in LE for 27 years, and have a TS Clearance. Couple of reasons it could be delayed. Could be a "Sound ex" hit on your name (somebody with the same or similar sounding name with a record) or a DOB match (somebody with the same DOB with a record). Either way, we should be pissed. It's as easy as the person at the VA Firearms Transaction Center simply looking at the "hit" and comparing it to your information to see that it's not the same person. It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. My information from VA State PD is that they are severly understaffed, so when the receive a "hit" it goes into a pile to be reviewed one at a time as soon as the can get to it.

There has been a lot of this lately. The SP are understaffed, under funded and over run. Talk w/ your local dealer and ask him/her about their volume this year. The dealers I know have sold more in the past 2 months than in any 2 moth period they can remember.

FWIW: I think they just passed a couple of laws that will change things a bit as far as purchases go but they won't go into affect until July even when signed by the Governor. Check with the VCDL for all the latest and greatest. Mr. VanCleave has been up to his neck pushing pro gun legislation while we have an advantage in the house & senate + the Governor.

Where you at Tripwire?

Cheers,

Doc

Thanks guys....

Doc I'm currently in a happy little corner of the NRV.

Talked with a couple of guys today about this, one is another dealer I'm friends with, and the other is a friend who's "connected".

The dealer said it's not that there are more delays, it's that those delayed are being delayed longer....which relates to the understaffed thing. Odd though, because I've never been delayed before, no record, and hold a current CCW. Should be smoother than silk under normal conditions. He said don't sweat it, he gets delayed every time himself.

The "connected" buddy said that the last quarter of 2011 saw a record increase of 25% in gun sales statewide, with 25% of that net increase being new first time ever gun buyers. So yeah, they might just be backed up.

No big deal, when I get denied the first time then I'll get pissed..........

My stepson bought an ar 15 this evening and the dealer was talking to the sp she told him she was the only one answering the phone and that 3 other people were working the computers checking on those who call in. He was cleared in abt 5 minutes. MM

Info from the VCDL as of this AM. I'm not sure if this counts as political or not but is intended to be for information germane to the OP's question. Italics are a copy of the e-mail.

<span style="font-style: italic">As many of you are painfully aware, background checks for gun purchases have been anything but instant for the last several years. Many people have been delayed DAYS and even WEEKS! The situation had continued to deteriorate throughout 2011.

VCDL had a bill put in by Senator Black to allow dealers to use the free federal National Instant Check System for long guns to take the load off the State Police. Other bills were put it with similar intent and VCDL backed those bills as well.

The General Assembly decided to carry those bills over until next year and to allocate more money to the State Police solely for firearm background checks. In essence the State Police were given one year to get their act together so that "instant checks" are once more "instant." If not, those carried over bills would come back and the State Police would be taken out of the picture.

To fix the broken Instant Check System, a block of money has been allocated for the State Police in the budgets proposed by both the House and the Senate. The problem is that the House version has only allocated half of what the Senate has allocated. This is probably a mistake on the part of the House, but whether it is or not, we need the Senate budget amount to be the one that makes it.

To that end, VCDL needs you to send an email to your Senate and to your Delegate, urging them to support the Senate version of the budged for the State Police Firearms Transaction Center (FTC).

To send a pre-written email to your Delegate, click here:

http://tinyurl.com/797o5kq

To send a pre-written email to your Senator, click here:

http://tinyurl.com/7xc9g5h

Let's roll!</span>

Cheers,

Doc

If you have a TC clearance a supervisor at the center has to handle your imfo. Have had the same problem with delays and was told it takes a supervisor or higher to run your imfo.

I like Texas if you have a CHL you just fill out the paper work they photocopy the ID and submit it with it, no need to call it in the background.

All in all VA is one of the most gun friendly states out there.....

Info I got was there used to be 23 individuals handling the gun checks with the SP, some time ago they laidoff over half of them, or eliminated the position, or whatever.....and since then the sales of firearms in VA have increased dramatically.

So yes, they are understaffed and currently swamped......

That said, my approval went through this morning, I picked up my handgun, and have already put a couple mags through it here in the backyard.....I'm loving it.

M&P 40, DAMN NICE shooting handgun.......

Yep, I was delayed for 4 days to pick up my Savage 10. I currently hold a TS and work for DOD...