• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vibram five finger shoes

Re: Vibram five finger shoes

I've had a pair for a little over a year now. They immediately relieved me of any shin splints(which stretching regularly was supposed to do!) and running through water/mud has no affect on them! I trail run in them 2-3 days a week and use my Mizuno shoes to run on the road 1-2 times a week. I also use the Vibrams to run sprints 1 day a week. I'm 5'11 and 260lbs! I have to run regularly in order to carry that ammount of weight efficiently! Amazingly, the five-fingers are still in decent shape! I am in the process of picking out a new pair now. I highly recommend these to EVERYBODY!

I have one question....

Do they come in coyote brown? lol

I want some...

One of my junior NCO's had a pair last deployment, looked ridiculous, but he loved them. Showed the wife, and she laughed...but it makes sense. Don't know if I could sport them around town, but definitely on a good run.

I have a pair. They took a day or so to real feel right, one toe was snug. But they really are like someone put soles on your own feet. Great shoes. Love them for the river, golf, yardwork, just awesome. I do wish they were about half price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my question is which model? </div></div>

Any model that comes in multicam. That way when you get switched over to the new camo, the multicam skirt, battle shirt and five fingers would be a wickedly cool running outfit....

I've been using the KSO Trek now for two years during the hunting season... Same pair and they have done the job...

This is in tough rocky terrain... No problems with the stitching pulling apart and the soles have held up well...

In the snow and ice they have done great... They get a little stiff if you dry them by a fire so its best to just let them air dry...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scorpio30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have been following this thread very intresting i am thinking of buying a pair of komodo sport seem like an overall pair to buy.being some of you are on your 2nd and 3rd pair is there a model of VFF you would recomend for a 1st pair.they would only be used for walking some running and fitness.i looked at the FILA and it says that they are made more for casual wear not so much for fitness and they say that they are not a competitor to the VFF.It seems like the VIBRAM is the way to go.Any input would be great. </div></div>

I picked up a pair of the Komodo's a couple months back, and they are my favorite of the 4 pairs I own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my question is which model? </div></div>

Any model that comes in multicam. That way when you get switched over to the new camo, the multicam skirt, battle shirt and five fingers would be a wickedly cool running outfit.... </div></div>

Now that would ROCK.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkhuntinguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been using the KSO Trek now for two years during the hunting season... Same pair and they have done the job...

This is in tough rocky terrain... No problems with the stitching pulling apart and the soles have held up well...

In the snow and ice they have done great... They get a little stiff if you dry them by a fire so its best to just let them air dry... </div></div>

That is th info that I am looking for.

Thank you sir.

Guys, I've been using the Vibram Five Fingers since they first came out with them and only offered the Classic. Since then, I have used and worn most of the models: Classic, KSO, Flow, Trek KSO, and Bikila LS. The Bikila LS is by far my most favorite since the laces have some give for arch movement and jumping movements. The others flex some, but not very comfortably in my opinion. I usually just take the arch strap off. My vote goes to the Bikila for active sports and weightlifting.

How well do the VFFs protect your feet from thorns and broken glass?

Broken glass, fairly well so far, at least the soles, in my experience. The uppers, probably not so well, but I have not had the chance to see yet. Thorns, I don't know yet.

I tried a pair of these on today and I just had a hell of a time trying to get all my toes in the slots...the pinky toe was the worst lol. It took like almost 15 min just to get 1 shoe on then after i got them on they were too small, I was about ready to start banging my head into the shoe rack i was getting so frustrated. I'll definately will give these a chance if I can get the proper size and fit...I ended up buying a pair of Keen sandles and they are pretty comfy and only take a few seconds to put on lol.

I initially had the same trouble with mine, though they are the right size, I found that, when putting them on, I had to turn my foot a little so it points slightly inward, so that my fourth toe lines up with its slot, instead of lining up with the same slot my little toe goes into. Since I have started doing that, I have had almost no trouble putting them on (occasionally, I still miss...lol).

It took me several minutes to put each VFF on when I first got them. I've had mine for less than a week now but wear them everyday after work and wore them quite a bit this weekend. I can take them off an put them on fairly fast now. The only thing I have to do is place a finger between my little toe and the other and they slip right on. I was actually looking at ordering another pair just a bit ago. These things are great!

Shoes could possibly be one the worst inventions in terms of human mobility and health, ever made. You want to run better and correct your form? Run barefoot. I promise you won't run the same way you do in shoes (which is the absolute incorrect way).

Vibram has a really great product on their hands(feet). I encourage everyone to try them out.

I have 2 pairs, one for working out in and one for knocking around in, wear both barefooted!!

A friend of mine is a life-long runner and a Track n Field coach for a local high school. This is what he had to say about the Vibram shoes on fb:

(regarding Vibram Five Finger shoes)
It's a money making scam started by companies like Vibram and Nike. They're trying to re-invent the wheel and are causing nothing but major injuries for the average runner. Barefoot running is a stupid idea, but they're trying to push the concept so they can get people to run in minimalist shoes. The results is recreational weekend joggers destroying their heels. What they should be promoting is forefoot running, which is what legitimate runners do (such as myself and less than 5% of the running community), and no special shoe is necessary to run on your toes. I hate these stupid articles.

Someone made the assertion that humans ran barefoot for thousands of years, citing the Tarahumara people in Mexico as an example. This is his response:

Agreed, but you're talking the prince and the pauper now. The pauper has the callus on his feet to take him the distance, but the prince could never take that pain. At the same time you must remember two things. First, again, those people ran on their forefeet; and secondly this was before shoes existed. =P

I'm not a runner personally so I can't really offer any personal insight on this topic, but hold my friend's opinion in esteem due to his background/expertise.

I find that running in them forces me to run on my toes rather then the heel. I don't think anyone could handle the jar to the heel with these types of thin soled shoe.

Powder Burns, that is the whole point. It forces you to run on your forefoot. Just like anything else you start new, you need to take it easy. Anyone who just jumps into it and runs the same distance they did with regular running shoes has a good chance of getting injured. The key is take it slow, especially the older you get.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A friend of mine is a life-long runner and a Track n Field coach for a local high school. This is what he had to say about the Vibram shoes on fb:

(regarding Vibram Five Finger shoes)
It's a money making scam started by companies like Vibram and Nike. They're trying to re-invent the wheel and are causing nothing but major injuries for the average runner. Barefoot running is a stupid idea, but they're trying to push the concept so they can get people to run in minimalist shoes. The results is recreational weekend joggers destroying their heels. What they should be promoting is forefoot running, which is what legitimate runners do (such as myself and less than 5% of the running community), and no special shoe is necessary to run on your toes. I hate these stupid articles.

Someone made the assertion that humans ran barefoot for thousands of years, citing the Tarahumara people in Mexico as an example. This is his response:

Agreed, but you're talking the prince and the pauper now. The pauper has the callus on his feet to take him the distance, but the prince could never take that pain. At the same time you must remember two things. First, again, those people ran on their forefeet; and secondly this was before shoes existed. =P

I'm not a runner personally so I can't really offer any personal insight on this topic, but hold my friend's opinion in esteem due to his background/expertise. </div></div>

That's the great thing about research and science. You don't have to rely on opinions of people who don't know what they're talking about. Most people who are "life-long" anything tend to be engrained in their mindset without being open to anything besides their own voice. Think of how that translates into other places in your life you might encounter on a daily basis... Shooting? etc. etc. Not much else to say other than your friend is welcome to his opinions, but that doesn't change the fact that every bit of research on the subject of shoes and human health disagrees with him. It's out all out there for him to read and I encourage you to encourage him to do so.

I measured my foot like I was supposed to and came up with a size 42. I ordered a pair of the bikila LS in blk/gry and I think they are just a tiny bit too small. I wore them too much to return them but really wish I could have tried them on in the store. If anyone wants to trade out some 43's for 42's let me know. I love the shoes but they are pretty snug in the toes to really enjoy.

My advice...definitely find somewhere you can go try them on. Measuring was not as effective for me anyway.

agreed you need to try em on, my size said I should wear 42's or 43's and I needed 44's, but I was in a store to try them on.

In high school I ran between 40 and 75 miles a week depending on the time of year and event I was training for. I always ran in shoes but never suffered any injuries that I was aware of (high pain tolerance). I could train sprinters, shot putters, hurdlers, or any other track runner because I was in love with the sport that much and knew every single event.

That was a decade ago. I've put on 50 lbs of muscle since then and don't run as far. A few years ago I tried the Nike Free shoes because they looked cool (not the weird ones that I see now). My ankles and feet were sore for the first week or two when I started wearing them because of the muscles they worked. Had I not started wearing them, I would have surely sprained or broken my ankle when I stepped off a set of stairs while moving furniture. My big toe and about an inch of my forefoot caught the edge of the step and supported my weight, plus the weight of a sleeper sofa.

Fast forward a couple of years, I bought the vibrams. I don't recommend them to everybody because they aren't for everybody. They will definitely make you run on your toes, strengthen your ankles, and make your back feel better. A lot of people will look at you weird, but who really gives a cra? If you're not sure, buy another minimalist shoe.

As a former competitive distance runner, my track spikes that I would use to run the 400m, 800m, 1200m, 1600m, and 3200m didn't have heels because at the speed I ran, my heel never touched the ground anyway. My training shoes had wear on the heel but mostly on the toe but I used those shoes for 10 and 12 mile runs sometimes.

Real competitive runners will focus on eliminating any motion that wastes energy and uses extra effort - such as striking your heel first. We didn't call it forefoot running. We called it running fast. Only 1 runner would run fast each race.

After all these years, a coach would be completely full of himself to think a minimalist shoe would do anything but help an athlete. No offense meant, but if he hasn't tried them, he can't talk about them because they really do force you to run on your toes (as he described). If somebody strikes their bare heel against the ground long enough to have severe damage, they are idiots for not listening to their body telling them to STOP DOING THAT!

Austin, thank you for injecting a well-needed dose of reality into this discussion.

I saw a billboard with <span style="font-weight: bold">Fila Skeletoes </span>on em. I guess Vibram and Nike have some competition in that market now.

Well, I went and tried them on..
frown.gif
I have a hammer toe and these wont even allow my 3rd toe to go in the slot.. I tried a pair of Merrells .. http://www.merrell.com/US/en/Barefoot They felt pretty good, Im gonna try those in 2 weeks when the place has a 20% sale..

Oh well, Im glad I didnt order them online..

I have two pair that I primarily use to work out with (crossfit). One pair is a little larger that I wear toe socks with when it is colder out. I also picked up a pair of merrels recently and really like those a lot too. The Merrels are great because it is pretty much the same effect, but a lot easier to get into.
I engaged muscles with them that I was not using with traditional shoes. It took a little while to get used to them, but now I barely ever wear regular shoes.

Longtime reader, first time poster. http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/

BLUF:
It all equates to the fact that prior to the 1970's mankind ran in flat shoes or barefoot. As the above Harvard study indicates one must dissipate a force of 2-3x one's bodyweight per heel-strike with traditional running shoes. By regressing/transitioning
smile.gif
to fore or midfoot striking one disipates the force of the foot hitting the ground through rotational motion. If you are like me with long term back problems or injuries to your lower extremities, flat soled running and changing your stride up may be worth looking into. It isn't for everyone but it certainly has helped myself and many people I know.

If you're not big on the 5 finger design, companies like NB also make flat running shoes. http://www.shopnewbalance.com/newbalanceMR10BG.htm

Where I noticed a huge difference was while doing P90X Plyometrics. I found myself staying up on my feet more and and not on my heels as much. I have had knee issues in the past and Plyometrics killed my right knee. Last night while doing it my knee didn't hurt a bit and today there is no pain either. I don't really care what anyone else says about how they work or how they look. They have made a difference for me and are working for me!

Just ordered me a pair of 5 finger classics - thanks for the tip guys!

i like the komodos too...i use them when doing military athlete WODS n short runs...

I've been running in vibrams (KSO's first, and now classics) for a little over a year. I'm a long-time runner, and I had a really hard time backing my mileage down to get used to the new shoes. I did end up straining a muscle in my foot, and had to stop running for several weeks.

When I went at it again, I took it much more slowly, and I'm glad I did. Running in the vibrams has made a pretty big difference in how I run, and I enjoy it a whole lot more without the nagging knee pains I used to have. I agree with others - they're not for everyone, but they sure do work for me.

Got my classics this week - My wife couldn't stop laughing. The classics may not be the best because she says I look like a gay hippie ballerina...and my 2 year old son is scared of them.

Been wearing them around the house and my calves and hamstrings are sore - that's good!

I'll be geetting a pair of KSO treks soon!

Well I never expected this post to get so much hype. I believe these shoes are awesome. My knees started hurting during a run the other day. My wife told me that I might have arthritis at the age of 21.. I'm hoping not. Keeping my fingers crossed, but these are by far the best shoes I've worn. Screw other's opinions lol I'm thinking about getting another pair for walking around in.

pink(MIST), don't worry about what anyone thinks about them. My KSO Treks work for me, so I don't give a crap what anyone thinks of them, and if your shoes work for you, you don't need to either. I wear mine everywhere, and they are definitely the best shoes I have ever worn.

I think it's important to start barefoot running before buying the vibram shoes so you learn the technique first. After you can run a 5k barefoot, buy the vibrams to protect your feet on longer runs or on bad terrain.

Also, don't overdo it when learning how to run barefoot. Maybe only run a half mile the first week, then 1 mile the next, etc. as you build up to your regular running routine. Your feet, ankles, and legs have forgotten how to run properly after wearing shoes your entire life. You will be taking faster, smaller strides if doing it properly.

I had shin splints and knee pain when running in shoes- nothing serious but definitely annoying. It all went away when I started barefoot running. There's a ton of info on the subject thanks to the interwebs.

Just ordered the Bikila, shoulde have them by Wednesday from a local running shop, great thing is, they have a 90 day return policy. Looking forward to seeing what they can do for me.

I just picked up some komotos. Thought I would give them a try, because every one says they help with knee pain, as I get knee pain In regular shoes sometimes, and that I have no acl and a torn meniscus in my right knee. Worn them for about an hour, so far they seem to be helping out.

Since it might cause a stir wearing my KSO's in uniform I just picked up a pair of these:
Merrell-Trail-Glove-Barefoot.jpg

Merrell Trail Gloves AKA the Socially Acceptable Barefoot shoe =).

I love my KSO's, but this (so far) is working out great as a "stealth" opinion. Planning on using it for trail running, trekking and PT in uniform.