• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vibram five finger shoes

Re: Vibram five finger shoes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nly205</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Komodo or Bikila. looks like a coin flip. </div></div>

I tried on the Komodo's...did not like them. They seem pretty directed to cross training, I would say they would suck for running/trekking. Just walking around the gym sure. Just my .02.

They suck for trail running in the spring cause you end up with weeds between your toes.

If you land on your heels while running, you will hurt yourself with any shoe. If you run only on your forefeet in any shoe, there's a good chance you'll end up hurting yourself. You have to learn to land on your forefoot and distribute your weight immediately to the rest of your foot, using the entire set of muscles to cushion your stride and push you into the next one.

I've been wearing VFF KSOs for 3 straight weeks now and running in them about 1 mile per day for the last 2 weeks. I work on a concrete floor in Shipping & Receiving in a state office building, and after the 3rd day my feet and legs have not been tired. The first couple days wore my foot and calf muscles out, but I found it easier to lift heavy boxes, push and pull heavy crap, and stay balanced while doing so without the lower back pain I was used to. My wife also picked up a pair of KSOs at the same time I did and has barely taken them off since then. She's getting back into jogging as I am, and has not experienced any of the knee pain that used to plague her.

Check out this blog, and if the toes aspect of VFFs turn you off, check out these shoes (the RunAmoc Dashes are pretty awesome). I'll probably never go back to any sort of traditional shoe, apart from heavy work that requires steel toes or formal dress that requires shiny shoes.

If you are looking for good minimalist shoes, Brooks makes several. I have the Mach 11 Spikeless racing flat (Cross Country) and the "Green Silence." The Green Silence have a thicker, cushier sole and are my current training shoe.

Brooks are also available through Promotive.com and LeoAdventures.com - discount "clubs" - at excellent prices. Performance footwear can get expensive.

Still looking hard at VFF's, but Barefoot Ted's Luna Sandals may get the nod before the VFF's.

It looks kind of gimmicky for $100 or so. I've only heard good things, so I'm wondering: how long do they last?

I have been wearing my KSO treks pretty much nonstop for several weeks now, alternating two pairs, and washing the pair I am not wearing once each week. They are holding up just fine; they still look new, except for a tiny bit of wear on the soles.

I am also using a pair of Bikilas for running, but I have not used them long enough to know how they will hold up.

Thanks for the input guys; I'll be browsing the web for a deal.

Just started using the TrekSports, I can tell you I never felt my calves as much as I do now... Looking forward to run longer distances in the future, maybe I can cure my back issues I get with normal running shoes.

Let me make sure I understand that link, and those shoes, correctly. The Army banned five fingers, not because they do not give the soldier an advantage (they do), but because they look "unprofessional." They are much easier to move around in, climb in, and run in (once you learn how), but the Army apparently is now more worried about looks than performance.

This is not going in a good direction (IMHO).

It depends on how strong your soles and toes are as some people have problems with shin splints and arch pains. Others love the added mobility.

the Army is just NOW starting to worry about looks.... the chair force has been doing it for a long time.... they spend more time and energy trying to find a "NEW" better way of doing things, then actually attempting to get them done in the first place. Look at the F-22, Nothing on the planet can touch it, but last i checked, the camel jockies dont have running water, let alone aircraft.
[/rant off]
by the way I swear by my mine, and will probbably never by another type of shoe. They work 'nuff said.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerhawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me make sure I understand that link, and those shoes, correctly. The Army banned five fingers, not because they do not give the soldier an advantage (they do), but because they look "unprofessional." They are much easier to move around in, climb in, and run in (once you learn how), but the Army apparently is now more worried about looks than performance.

This is not going in a good direction (IMHO).</div></div>

I swear by mine too, and since I have started wearing them, I have not put on any other type of shoe. Most people should work into wearing them gradually, but I am a long-time runner and rock climber, so, for me, they have been fantastic for constant wear. YMMV.

If I read the article right they don't like the shoes because they are made of polyester which is a lot more flammable then leather. That's why they don't like them. Correct me if I'm wrong.

There are several suede versions. The KSO Treks are available in brown suede, and black suede. That would seem to solve that issue.

Looks like REI is phasing out the Bikila's.

These might be the new replacements...looks like Vibram is working to make them a bit more socially acceptable. I like the look of these Speeds:

bac39631-51bd-4a39-be3f-c9ab7bb05cb2.jpg

Hmm...same idea as the NIKE FREE series to strengthen your feet and imitate barefoot running. Always wanted to try some but my feet are really flat and I overpronate like a MTF.
Glad to hear that they work for some.

znztiv, you might want to try them on for 20 minutes or so if walking around in a store. It is possible that you will find that, with your foot being allowed to function the way it is supposed to (which most shoes do not allow), you might not over pronate. Your flat feet might get better. My arches were noticeably higher after I took them off a few hours after I put them on for the first time. Of course, YMMV.

im actually planning on buying these now, not once have i heard a negative review. im stuck between the trecksport and the kso, hell maybe even the speed but im leaning toward the former. now all I have to do is find my size(14ish im not sure with these). does anybody have any experience with these and cycling? I want to use these as my unicycling shoes but im not too sure if they will fit this purpose. if it doesnt its no big deal because i already have shoes for that. from what i hear these are easy on the knees which is my main reason for buying them because I have a bone spurr in my right knee from getting kicked and while its mostly healed it still acts up while im running, that and my joints arent the strongest because of growing (im 6'5 and i grew up to 9 inches a year) but yeah main thing im wondering about is the cycling.

Just got my second pair - treksports in orange - little bit thicker sole with the waffle tread - feel kinda funny on hard surfaces and NOT for the water.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mall Ninja</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the Army is just NOW starting to worry about looks.... the chair force has been doing it for a long time.... they spend more time and energy trying to find a "NEW" better way of doing things, then actually attempting to get them done in the first place. Look at the F-22, Nothing on the planet can touch it, but last i checked, the camel jockies dont have running water, let alone aircraft.
[/rant off]
</div></div>

No, but the Chinese, Russians, Indians, etc all do. The F-22 has nothing to do with countering 3rd world countries. And there is nothing wrong with finding new ways to do things. If that were the case, all you ground pounders would still be using spears and muskets.

We have a saying in the "Chair Force".... <span style="font-style: italic">The US Army (or Navy, Marines, etc).... 230 years of tradition unhampered by progress</span>

I've ridden my bike in my KSOs several times, up to around 2 miles of just a leisurely ride. I would recommend the KSO model to start on. I'm eyeing the KSO Treks because I do a lot of my running over farmland and I'd rather have the little cleats and the slightly thicker sole. For an environment without a lot of jutting pokey things (like a gravel driveway or sticks, for instance) and for everyday wear (I haven't worn anything else on my feet since around May 25), I recommend the KSOs for you.

I love my KSO. But never ever run 3 miles in them after the second use. I couldn't walk for days I was so sore. Now i'm great but man I never felt so much pain in my calfs in my life.

FWIW It took me 4-5 months to fully transition to VFFs. Started with walking around the block, then jogging around the block, etc. etc.

Anyone new to barefoot running look up "pose method" this will really help with technique.

If you're a bigger guy (not built like a runner) they're not that comfortable to run in. I'm 245 at 6'3 and run 3 days a week. With that being said I own 2 pair of these fives and tried them out. I need the cushion of regular shoes for my big ass to land on....I also have had some knee/leg surgeries so that probably affects my ability in them also. I wear my fives to the gym to lift though. I love them on leg day

i dont run but im built like a runner, 170ish pounds. impact still affects my left leg though

I'm not a runner, don't run at all. I had a nerve disorder, gillian barre, a few years ago. Left me with problems with my lower legs. Also have falling arch in one foot with bad sub taylor joint that has started causing problems with my knee, hip, and lower back. I have thought about buying a pair of VFF for awhile just haven't done it. What pair would someone recommend for just normal walking around and wear, not for exercise and running?

Wife and I just bought VFF KSO's this afternoon. Wore them around the store and took a short walk with the kids, can definitely tell they are working different muscles and flexing the feet.

I tore a good chunk of my right calf last summer playing basketball and the last 6 months have been continuous heel pain most days of the week, gets really bad at night when getting out of bed. Hoping the KSO's will help fix this issue.

Friends think i should turn in my man card, but i'm secure enough in my manhood to give them a fair shot.

To those looking to buy they do run a little small compared to their chart, most said I needed a 43 but had to buy a 44. If buying sight unseen try the next larger size, IMHO.

287877_257196854291697_100000041537720_1106304_907698_o.jpg

stmcelroy, you are right! Mine, according to the chart, were one size too small as well. A caution to everyone, either try them on in a store (the best option, IMHO), or buy one size larger than the chart says.

I can't imagine living without my 5 fingers.

Me either, FPO. I have worn no other shoes since I started wearing the fivefingers. Most people now seem interested, but a few still grimace. I don't care.
smile.gif

I picked up a pair of the KomodoSport LS and have become a believer overnight. I have ran in them and found that my left foot dosent track correctly which I never noticed in my running shoes, proably explains the knee pain I some times get. I am currently working on my stride with the left foot. I have several sessions in the gym with them lifting and various calisthenics work outs. I noticed I was much more stable whial squatting both conventional and split squats. I also found I was much more controlled whial doing walking lunges with a barbell. I had more power on a leg press. I was able to get an extra inch or two on my jumps whial doing burpees. I can feel my posture changing whial walking (it feels good). I took my kids for a hike toady in them, it was a very low intensity 3-3.5 mile b/c my girls are 5 and 6 years old but they felt great!!! I was expecting a bit more soreness than I actually experienced at first. My calves were not sore at all but they are in good shape from mountain biking, but my feet and ankles were a different stroy. They were a bit sore and I could tell the fatigued faster than ever before, which I was looking for.

The bottom line is I highly recomend them. I have told everyone I know to try them out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ***Ronin***</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A small question and hope someone can help...

Is this site legit ?

http://www.vibramfivefingers.it/eng/kso.aspx?gender=M

Because they some colors i would really like to purchase and don't know if its counterfeits or not...

I wrote to them but never heard back from them.

So was wondering if anybody bought from them or not ?

Thanks all..</div></div>

It's legit, but it is also located in Italy.

These things look like they have some merit, But trying them on in a store, would be like trying on underwear! yuk

Just a shitty thought.

I know its located in Italy but i just don't understand why the official US site don't have the same colors for sale...

(About 3-4 weeks ago the US site only had 2 colors but now its 5 colors to choose. Thats why i wondered if it was legit or just some countefiets site in italy.)

For instance the KSO model in the US site have in 5 colors but at the italien site there is like 7 different colors.

US site:
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-KSO-Mens.htm

Europe site:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These things look like they have some merit, But trying them on in a store, would be like trying on underwear! yuk

Just a shitty thought. </div></div>

Store where I bought mine used cleaning wipes after every try-on to clean them out.
Different styles all have fits, especially with wider feet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ***Ronin***</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know its located in Italy but i just don't understand why the official US site don't have the same colors for sale...

(About 3-4 weeks ago the US site only had 2 colors but now its 5 colors to choose. Thats why i wondered if it was legit or just some countefiets site in italy.)

For instance the KSO model in the US site have in 5 colors but at the italien site there is like 7 different colors.

US site:

Europe site:

</div></div>

I'm sure it's just different colors sell better in different places, or maybe they are testing other color combos overseas first. They probably sell a lot less shoes in Italy than in the US, so a good place to test how they are received.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ***Ronin***</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know its located in Italy but i just don't understand why the official US site don't have the same colors for sale...

US site:

Europe site:

</div></div>

Probably similar reasons as to why it's much more difficult to find cars with diesel engines here than in Europe. What sells there doesn't always sell here, and vice-versa. The sizes should run the same (I haven't researched that, but it makes sense), so if you're willing to pay for them get the colors you want. I like my all-black KSOs myself.