• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vibratory case cleaner

Steve in Allentown PA

Private
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2008
<span style="font-size: 14pt">The RCBS vibratory case cleaner that I have used exclusively since late 1988 cleaned its last batch of .45 ACP brass last evening. This morning after I loaded it with more brass and hit the switch all it did was hum. So I dumped out the brass and walnut media to give the motor a chance to do its thing without a load. Stll nothing but a hum. I think this is what is known as a clue.

After more than 20 years of faithful service the time has come to replace this fine piece of machinery. I'd love to get get another twenty years out of a new case cleaner. Like many other posts I read, I too am asking for suggestions. Which brand is the best these days?</span>

Re: Vibratory case cleaner

If you are going to stay vibratory I would recommend Dillon. However what I really recommend is going to the stainless steel (SS) media and using a Thumler's tumbler. There are 2 or 3 threads here on the Hide about SS media. This stuff really works.

A "hum" from a motor typically indicates excessive load. Could be from something stuck in the motor, try knocking it about and see if that works.

I'm on my second RCBS tumbler in 5 years, and I would not recommend another, get a big Dillon or make the switch to SS media and a Thumlers model B high speed like I just did.

I'm very fond of my Dillon CV-2001. I may make the switch to the SS media in the future, but I have many more purchases to make first.

I run a Lyman 2500 pro magnum, its larg enough to tumble 2 large size house cats!

How long have you had your Lyman 2500 pro magnum, Mmne lasted about a year with moderate use?

Cabela's makes a really nice tumbler and its fairly large. A friend of mine uses one and he's super pleased with it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LTC Armor</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-size: 14pt">The RCBS vibratory case cleaner that I have used exclusively since late 1988 cleaned its last batch of .45 ACP brass last evening. This morning after I loaded it with more brass and hit the switch all it did was hum. So I dumped out the brass and walnut media to give the motor a chance to do its thing without a load. Stll nothing but a hum. I think this is what is known as a clue.

After more than 20 years of faithful service the time has come to replace this fine piece of machinery. I'd love to get get another twenty years out of a new case cleaner. Like many other posts I read, I too am asking for suggestions. Which brand is the best these days?</span> </div></div>

Why are you yelling??

Go Dillon and the next time this happens you want have to buy another, they will fix or replace it for free.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1Bolt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long have you had your Lyman 2500 pro magnum, Mmne lasted about a year with moderate use? </div></div>

Going on 4 years, and I dont even want to mention how many times I forgot it on for days, lol. I have put mine through all kinds of hell and its still going strong.

I do remember hearing about Lyman getting a bad batch of motors, but that has been sorted out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SnkBit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why are you yelling?? </div></div>
<span style="font-size: 14pt">Sorry. Didn't think I was. Just using a larger font that is more aesthetically appealing to me. Always thought "all caps" was yelling. I'm cool, calm, and collected.</span>

It sounds like you've dropped the weight off of your motor. That would explain the hum (the motor running) without the vibrations that vibratory tumblers are famous for.

If you think it's broke, there can't be much harm in taking it apart to find out what's not working on the inside. I fixed a Midway tumbler working off of the same premise.