• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Vintage, but not snipery - M16A1 barrel profile question

How should I have the barrel re-profiled?

• Reprofile entire barrel

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kentuckyMarksman

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 7, 2018
I've got an old M16A1 parts kit sitting around, and I'm finally going to put it together. I don't have an M16A1 profile barrel though, and I want one with a modern twist rate, not a 12" or 14" twist. I've got a 20" AR Performance barrel sitting around with a 7.7" twist and 3R rifling. This is the barrel I'm wanting to use.

Obviously, the barrel profile is wrong. The barrel is currently .850" under the handguard, .750" at the gas block, and .718" forward the gas block. I've got a shop lined up to re-profile my barrel for me. Question is, should I have them reprofile the entire barrel to the M16A1 spec, or just from the gas block journal to the end of the barrel?

This rifle will just be used for plinking at the range, and possibly some CMP / Highpower matches, depending on how well it shoots. I'm thinking extra weight under the handguard might add rigidly when using a sling, and possibly less POI shift from heat. The downside is, it would be heavier up front, and a heavier overall rifle.

Just buy a new barrel. They are readily available and trying to profile one will probably end up with it warping. Those pencil barrels are somewhat delicate. And I’m betting that we’re moving material will cause internal stress is to create warps.
I wish it were that easy. Everywhere I've looked has them out of stock and backordered for months. Can you tell me where a 20" M16A1 profile barrel is readily available in a 1-7" or 1-8" twist rate?

Readily available? In this market?

I would say try green mountain barrels and see what their leadtime is. But they’ve always been first rate as far as I’m concerned.

Or put yours up for trade to someone who is looking for that barrel and may be someone who wants to build a thicker profile will want yours in trade since it’s readily available.

Right now anything in AR 15 parts is sort of good luck. But that will change.

But I wouldn’t cut your barrel. Because then you may end up with no barrel. Cheers Sirhr

Sir,
Thanks for your input, but after browsing the Green Mountain Barrel website, they only offer the M16A1 profile barrel in 12" and 14" twist rates, which isn't what I'm looking for. I'd like a GM barrel in a modern twist rate, but they don't offer it.

I realize things aren't readily available, but you used that term in your first post, so I was asking where they were readily available in case I missed something.

Well, readily available in that lots of people make them... My bad.

In this market, I can't even order metal stock half the time.

Read Frank Green's post on Bartelin Barrel lead times and what's going on in the barrel industry. I think it's in Bolt Action Rifles thread. Really outstanding thread and explains a lot.

Best bet is to start putting out feelers with a want-ad in the PX here... Or a Trade offer. And see what your fellow 'Hiders have. And see if you can get on back order. I did do some browsing and found a few places that looked like they 'offer them' at least in normal times.

And I thought I saw that Green Mountain Barrel had a 20" A1 Pencil Barrel 1/7" available, but it was in forest brown or something (!!!???!!!??). So they might make them, but don't have any black/standard ones on the site.

Maybe @buffalowinter has some ideas. He has a lot of stuff stashed and knows where to find things. I asked him to get me a rock hammer once... he got me Rita Hayworth!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Sir,
Thanks for your input, but after browsing the Green Mountain Barrel website, they only offer the M16A1 profile barrel in 12" and 14" twist rates, which isn't what I'm looking for. I'd like a GM barrel in a modern twist rate, but they don't offer it.

I realize things aren't readily available, but you used that term in your first post, so I was asking where they were readily available in case I missed something.
Call them , they made a nonstandard barrel for me a few ( 2-3 years ago ) that wasn’t listed on their site.