• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Vortex Precision Matched Rings

Kalman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2011
Dallas, TX
Has anyone used these? I really like the pictures I'm seeing, but would love some real feedback before I take the plunge. Will be using them to mount a Viper PST 6-24x-50 with a EGW 20MOA rail on a 700 SPS-T in 308.

Re: Vortex Precision Matched Rings

They're Seekins rings. Top notch. I have a Razor in a set as well as a PST 6-24. Buy with abandon.

John

Ok, thanks a bunch for the sanity check. Does the EGW rail seem like a reasonable pair or am I adding a weak link with it and should spend a couple more dollars?

Timely thread! I was just looking at those rings on the Vortex website the other day, and was going to ask the same question here.
I too will be mounting a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50, except on my Remmy SPS-V. I'm stalled at the moment, due to waiting for my scope to arrive.
I didn't know they were made by Seekins.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the EGW rail seem like a reasonable pair or am I adding a weak link with it and should spend a couple more dollars? </div></div>

I have both the std. and HD EGW rails. Get the HD if it's available. The aluminum is harder and the raised portion of the rail is flat instead of hollowed out. Having said that the std. was good enough to get me past 2000 yds. and withstand a fall on the rocks shortly after mounting my Razor without losing zero.

People will say there are better rails out there. My question is, "How?"

John

That's been a lot of my thought process while looking at these things, how is "this" better than "that". What does my extra $$$ really buy me.

Remember the Vortex lows are the Seekins mediums (30mm). If you want to be lower than the .870 provided by the Vortex lows, get the .820 Seekins lows. I wish they (Vortex) would call them the same size to eliminate possible confusion, after all we know who makes the rings for them. I suppose since they put the measurement on there it's not that big of deal, maybe I'm the only one bugged by it.

The Vortex PMR lows are made for the 50mm objective / 30mm tube Vortex scopes and work like a hand in a glove. Vortex lows are indeed Seekins medium. We have these in stock

Scott

John-

The reason the HD rails are harder is because they're steel, not AL.

I've used both, I do like to full size lug across the top better than the relieved rail for getting the recoil reaction loads of the scope into the rail/ring interface better, but after a few hundred rounds of 300 WSM light hunting rifle into ARC rings and an EGW rail with the relieved lugs I have not seen any kind of issues at the interface surfaces.

HD version is 7075 aluminum and assuming it's T6 then it's going to be stronger than hell. It looks like they've got a 4140 chrom moly version as well. I'm wondering what the heat treat is, because their is no way they're machining a fully heat treated piece. I don't care how much carbide they've got, that has to be ground, not milled. No listing as to what the normal version is, probably 6061 which is only 1/2 as strong as the 7075 assuming T6 heat treat on both.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's news, the last HD rail I got (about 10 months ago) it was steel, thanks for the news on that. My mistake. </div></div>
There's two versions of the HD, a HD and a HD steel. The first is 7075 aluminum.

I called EGW a while back about doing an HD 20 MOA steel rail for a tikka and they said at minimum it would cost me $200, no thanks. They said they are really set up to machine aluminum more so than steel.

I have a pair of these I've been meaning to let go.

Low height .87 inches (Seekins medium).

Partially mounted and never torqued down. I saw they were going to be a little low for my rig.

Like new in box if you want them. $80