• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor HD Gen III 1-10x

The reticle should be thick. If the reticle is taylored to the high end, it will suffer in the role this scope is needed most which is not 1000 yard F class target shooting. Tactical shooters arent disecting grid paper with fine recitcles. They need to see the reticle no matter what to make hits. I guess we will wait and see as we are all guessing. ??‍♂️

The center dot should not be larger than 1 MOA and the holdover dots and crosshairs should be 1/2 or even smaller. The donut is what you are using at low power for speed.

Here’s a couple MOA reticle shots taken with a phone using a White paper plate as the backdrop.
3500ADD2-4011-4AB2-B1B2-18A92240F5C5.jpeg

377C0E9D-8C94-4632-965D-8F3951BB7195.jpeg

There's a video showing the undefined range on instagram.
The reticle looks pretty well sized, the centre dot is easily visible on 1x and is the main aim points from 1-5x then the cross hairs and tree becomes useable from from 5-10.

Wish I could look through one in person. Watching the video I like how the ring around the center dot makes it look bigger and almost seem like it’s SFP until you get to a higher mag and see it separate. I wonder if it looks as good in person as it does on my phone lol

Reactions: RTV
This is one of the most exciting scopes of the year imo.

If it's anywhere near as good as their 1-6x, and 60% of the price of an ATACR 1-8... they'll corner the market.

Can't wait to see one.

But will it be able to drive spikes like the atacr?

That video looks straight out of COD. The video makes me not want to buy one so as not to be associated with it.

Just realized I miscalculated. It’s 80% of the cost of the ATACR.

Hmm it’s a lot closer than I thought.

Would love to have em side by side.

Just realized I miscalculated. It’s 80% of the cost of the ATACR.

Hmm it’s a lot closer than I thought.

Would love to have em side by side.

It can already be had a sizeable chunk less the the NF. You can get more off the map on the razor then the ATACR. I wasn't going to do it until a vendor here quoted me a price, I couldn't get the cc out fast enough.

The nx8 quotes I got are closer to what I pre ordered the Razor for. The ATACR was significantly more.

Really anxious to see field reviews on this, was about to buy one from Scott at Liberty Optics but decided to wait to see what other toys might be released at SHOT next week. The 1-6 never really tickled me, the 1-8’s made me think but a 1-10 is much more compelling especially if it’s done right.

Reactions: Pointman308
I hope they did it right also.If they did and I see some outstanding reviews I will be interested.

Reactions: Glassaholic
I will be looking forward to your opinion on this scope ILya.

Vortex has the size and expertise to pull this scope off and do so at reasonable production volumes.

I expect the street price to be close to NX8, so basically this is intended to go after the ATACR, but at NX8 price. Oh, and yes, I have one coming.

ILya
Vortex has always pushed the "get more for less" boundaries, it was a huge hit for their Gen II scopes and it appears to still be their objective with Gen III. I am anxious to hear how you like it as you have a lot more experience with LPVO's than I do.

Reactions: MakeSawdust
This is becoming tempting to give CST my deposit...but I'm not generally one to jump immediately into the cold water pool. Besides I still kind of want to see what else may come out of SHOT; maybe somebody still keeping secrets like Apple under Steve Jobs.

This is becoming tempting to give CST my deposit...but I'm not generally one to jump immediately into the cold water pool. Besides I still kind of want to see what else may come out of SHOT; maybe somebody still keeping secrets like Apple under Steve Jobs.

Let us know, the pre-orders are piling up :)

Another picture/short discussion from SHOT....I really am excited about this scope! Bad hype video notwithstanding...

Reactions: Rob01
I'll wager that the average transnational price for the NX8 and the Razor 3 will be about the same after the initial rush for the new shiny. I paid $100 more for my NX8 than I did my Razor3 preorder. Fingers are crossed that the R3 is every bit as good as the R2 and/or the NX8.

Reactions: deersniper
Apparently I’m in the minority, but I sure wish these came in the same shade of black as the AMG. I’d be on the preorder list if they did.

Reactions: RadioActivity
I'm glad to see the the .1 turrets, but i think they should have left the center dot at .15, or even .1 with the higher 10x mag..

I'll wager that the average transnational price for the NX8 and the Razor 3 will be about the same after the initial rush for the new shiny. I paid $100 more for my NX8 than I did my Razor3 preorder. Fingers are crossed that the R3 is every bit as good as the R2 and/or the NX8.

My guess is this is intended to compete with the ATACR.

compete with? sure. cost the same? probably not.

the ATACR is advertised @ $2800 and the NSX8 @ $2000.
these same vendors are offering the R3 @ $2000. will this price go up after the pre-orders? maybe, but the 1-6, 3-18, and 4.5-27s haven't gone up in price since they were released.

Vortex has always positioned itself as a value proposition, especially on their higher end lines. I think the representation of Vortex scopes in big time shooting sports for some years now has proven they are capable of producing some fine scopes. while I understand they have a strong marketing position and this has certainly helped their representation, I've shot with a lot of guys that buy their own scopes and can/will spend freely and they shoot Razors. this in no way diminishes anything Nightforce, S&B, Kahles, etc. produces.

All i know is that if they pull this off. I.E. 10x is useable without being annoyingly uncomfortable it's a huge win and there will be nothing like it on the market. The reticle alone is worth the jump for me. I'll be selling stuff to have this on my 14.5".

Per one friend at SHOT, Khales>ATACR>Vortex>NSX. The ATACR has better glass and a more forgiving eye box than the Vortex. Taking this with a grain of salt because Vortex is in the basement at the show, which has horrible lighting. I'm looking forward to a comparison outside of SHOT of the 1-10x Vortex and the ATACR.

EDITED TO ADD the Kahles 1-8x into the mix, which per my friend has better glass, FOV, etc than the NF and Vortex.

Last edited:
Reactions: exoto1225 and RTV
@koshkin has looked at both the Kahles K18i and Vortex Gen III 1-10 at SHOT and likes them both, a lot, obviously one is SFP (Kahles) and the other is FFP so possibly different applications. His comment on Instagram regarding the K18i was it possibly could be the best SFP LPVO he's seen. With his knowledge of LPVO's I will be very curious to hear what he thinks once he's able to get them in the field.

Per one friend at SHOT, Khales>ATACR>Vortex>NSX. The ATACR has better glass and a more forgiving eye box than the Vortex. Taking this with a grain of salt because Vortex is in the basement at the show, which has horrible lighting. I'm looking forward to a comparison outside of SHOT of the 1-10x Vortex and the ATACR.

EDITED TO ADD the Kahles 1-8x into the mix, which per my friend has better glass, FOV, etc than the NF and Vortex.
Kyle Defoor and Steve Fisher have used both the ATACR and 1-10x Razor extensively. Both have said the new Razor is on another level. They both confirmed it is by far the best LPVO they have a ever used. When guys of that caliber and experience say that, I tend to listen.

Reactions: TACC
It’s better than the ATACR by quite a wide margin based on the opinion of a few very knowledgeable and well respected industry pros. Steve Fisher and Kyle Defoor specifically.

Kyle Defoor and Steve Fisher have used both the ATACR and 1-10x Razor extensively. Both have said the new Razor is on another level. They both confirmed it is by far the best LPVO they have a ever used. When guys of that caliber and experience say that, I tend to listen.

Where did you see that at?
Or have you spoken with them personally and this is what they have said.

Fulk

Well shit, then I guess I was wrong to broadcast a dissenting opinion. Did they actually compare either the Vortex or ATACR to the Kahles yet? While they are well-respected, keep in mind there is a tendency in the training industry for guys heavily promote stuff they are given to T&E (and keep) or are paid to promote (i.e. Costa). Not staying either one is doing that, but you need to take stuff like that with grain of salt. BTW, Fisher used to be a big Midwest guy until FN paid him a big contract to pimp their stuff. So, yeah go ahead and regurgitate what Instagram influencers are saying.
Say what you will about Fisher, but Defoor is no Costa whatsoever. Yes they’ve compared them and both have run ATACR’s extensively.

Say what you will about Fisher, but Defoor is no Costa whatsoever. Yes they’ve compared them and both have run ATACR’s extensively.
In fact, Defoor is one of the OG’s when it comes to LPVO design and development. He used them from the get go in the early 00’s while he was in in a SMU and has helped with LPVO development since then. So...if there’s an opinion to be taken seriously regarding LPVO’s among the “influencers” it’s his.

Reactions: Alarka
For some reason my mind struggles with this. I have a few fairly high dollar scopes, but I always get sticker shock when I see the price of the 1x scopes. I guess I just need to get one so I can appreciate them.

You do need one. For an ar they are amazing

For some reason my mind struggles with this. I have a few fairly high dollar scopes, but I always get sticker shock when I see the price of the 1x scopes. I guess I just need to get one so I can appreciate them.

Never a better time than now lol
I bet there are going to be a lot of razor 1-6's on the PX here pretty soon and vortex's warranty will fix any issues even if there are any.

First, stop string posting to bump your thread count and cluttering up this thread. There is an edit feature, use it.

Second, you sound like a fanboy. I have no doubt about Defoor's expertise and have heard nothing but good things about his classes, but as you said it's one opinion. There is nothing in his post (at least on FB) about doing a side by side between the Kahles and Vortex. Rather, he says its better than the Vortex 1-6x he had been using. So, if you have that additional info share it. Otherwise, you are making an unsupported (and misleading) assumption.

Third, if you hang around here long enough, you'd know that there are some really highly qualified guys to give opinions on glass on this site, i.e. Ilya and wmj308, and hopefully they'll be doing that side-by-side review.
Defoor replied to a comment on his post asking about the ATACR 1-8 in comparison to the new 1-10. In response, he said comparing the new Razor to the ATACR is “not a fair comparison” (in favor of the Razor). I’m not a fanboy, instead I’m just trying to relay what I’ve learned based on the very limited amount of user info currently available on this optic. You seem pretty flustered and I find it quite funny. At no point have I said or suggested anything comparing the Razor to the Kahles, so stop putting words in my mouth. Secondly, you should do more research before replying to my response, I clearly stated that I got the info from Defoor IG and you went on about Defoor’s Facebook (attention to detail is lacking). Lastly, I never said there weren’t many qualified and knowledgeable people on Snipershide capable of analyzing and giving excellent opinions on the optics currently available.
I’m not a fanboy, just looking for good info from qualified people and sharing it with those who could benefit from it.
P.S. I will begin using the edit feature, I did not intend on cluttering up the thread.

It really doesn’t matter what anyone says about which scope is better. It will be up to the end user to decide for himself. I have never liked something or disliked something because someone else told me I should. I have been disappointed because of this though.

Reactions: Langford and Rob01
You might want check your attention to detail. I posted: "Did they actually compare either the Vortex or ATACR to the Kahles yet?"

You posted: "Yes they’ve compared them and both have run ATACR’s extensively."

That sounds like they've compared them to the Kahles. Why don't you go and use that newly discovered edit feature and clean it up.
Nah, you’re wrong again. Initially you had said, “I'm looking forward to a comparison outside of SHOT of the 1-10x Vortex and the ATACR.” At no point did I mention Kahles or refer to them. It’s pretty clear that is the part of your post I was referring to. When I said they’ve compared both and ran the comparison optic (the ATACR) extensively, it sounds just like it should sound, that I’m comparing the Razor and ATACR. If I had previously mentioned the Kahles your point would have some validity. Nice try though.

Okay you win on being petty. Hopefully a mod will delete all these off-topic posts. Next time, just post the link to your source rather than your "understanding" of what it says.

6 reports???
6?
Does your mouse have a selector switch?

It's a forum. People discuss things. Your best move was to not respond, but that's long lost now. :rolleyes:

Two most exciting LPVO for 2020: Kahles K18i and Razor HD genIII 1-10. really looking forward for thorough reviews of both scope here soon..

Reactions: CSTactical
I was looking at sub tension on MOA vs MRAD and it seems the MRAD center red dot is smaller. 1 MOA dot at 10x for the BDC and .2 MRAD on the MIL, which is about .68 MOA at 10x. The wind hold are .5 MOA on the BDC and .68 MOA on the MRAD. Kind of curious why these were not made the same size across the board.

Ilya,I am also interested on your opinion on this scope.I own the Gen2-E 1x6 and love it.