• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor HD Gen III 1-10x

I'll have some early impressions out fairly quickly, but then I will some time and effort beating it up before I wrap up with a full review. It is a new design, so it needs to be abused a little.

Given the magnification range, I think the right platform for it is my 6.5 Grendel AR.

ILya

Abuse the shit out of Ilya and get rid of some stress and let us know the outcome.Thank you again for taking the time to do these reviews. God Bless

Abuse the shit out of Ilya and get rid of some stress and let us know the outcome.Thank you again for taking the time to do these reviews. God Bless

Trying to entirely get rid of my stress would be very unfair treatment to the scope, the rifle, associated accessories and the overall stress level of the great State of New Mexico....

ILya

I have one in my hot little hands. mil version with the ebr-9 and my initial impression is I'M IN LOVE. they flat ass nailed this reticle. the illumination is money and full sunlight day bright with ease. Glass is typical crystal clear razor stuff we've all come to know. The mag sweep is well thought out. Smooth as silk and easy to run with the cat tail that comes with it. with an optic like this where you are certainly going to be running the shit out of the mag ring this is important to me.

I have excitement to run this with some clip on nv/thermal devices where for me I think its going to shine very bright as well.

Lastly, 10x is fricken baller and this reticle is what I feel is perfect for that range of power. Heavy enough but also refined and certainly capable of precise work when dialed in. I am going to be running the shit out of it this weekend and I will try and get some video together through the optic as this is what is important for this type of scope.

hit me up with any specific questions or things you want to see about it.

Attachments

• D1EF5E81-0D88-4382-9F2B-7D5E6F004771.jpeg
    D1EF5E81-0D88-4382-9F2B-7D5E6F004771.jpeg
    302.1 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
@Killswitch Engage

I’d love to see a through the scope at 1x and 10x both with and without illumination. I am particularly interested in the non-illuminated 1x against a busy background such as woods and urban settings. At 10x, I am interested to see it against standard targets (paper/steel) at distance.

Also curious about the ease of getting behind at 1 and 10x. I think we all just want to see how durable these are over high round counts and general hard use.

@Killswitch Engage

I’d love to see a through the scope at 1x and 10x both with and without illumination. I am particularly interested in the non-illuminated 1x against a busy background such as woods and urban settings. At 10x, I am interested to see it against standard targets (paper/steel) at distance.

Also curious about the ease of getting behind at 1 and 10x. I think we all just want to see how durable these are over high round counts and general hard use.

no worries. Will do. I have a sideshot camera I will mount to it and get you some images/video

Reactions: PBWalsh
I have one in my hot little hands. mil version with the ebr-9 and my initial impression is I'M IN LOVE. they flat ass nailed this reticle. the illumination is money and full sunlight day bright with ease. Glass is typical crystal clear razor stuff we've all come to know. The mag sweep is well thought out. Smooth as silk and easy to run with the cat tail that comes with it. with an optic like this where you are certainly going to be running the shit out of the mag ring this is important to me.

I have excitement to run this with some clip on nv/thermal devices where for me I think its going to shine very bright as well.

Lastly, 10x is fricken baller and this reticle is what I feel is perfect for that range of power. Heavy enough but also refined and certainly capable of precise work when dialed in. I am going to be running the shit out of it this weekend and I will try and get some video together through the optic as this is what is important for this type of scope.

I would like to know if at 1X it is as good as the gen2-e 1x6 razor and i am happy to hear they made the mag ring smooth as silk.

Reactions: Killswitch Engage

Oh man I can't wait to get them in...

Well this is making me want one of these very badly.

You can't. (Imagine this in Gollum voice) It is my precious...

All jokes aside, it is exceedingly easy to get behind and for LPVOs that's half the battle. I will see if I can sneak out and take a class with it some time in March/April.

Illumination is done right.

The reticle is sized just right for DMR-type applications.

When you present the rifle, the scope effectively disappears and all you see is the image with a bright dot in the center floating in front of you. It might be as good or better than the Gen 2 1-6x in that regard. I do not have the Gen 2 on hand, but I have a few other scopes here to compare with and Gen 3 is very good.

I will look at the optics carefully and do my usual workup, but the initial impressions are exceedingly positive.

ILya

You can't. (Imagine this in Gollum voice) It is my precious...

All jokes aside, it is exceedingly easy to get behind and for LPVOs that's half the battle. I will see if I can sneak out and take a class with it some time in March/April.

Illumination is done right.

The reticle is sized just right for DMR-type applications.

When you present the rifle, the scope effectively disappears and all you see is the image with a bright dot in the center floating in front of you. It might be as good or better than the Gen 2 1-6x in that regard. I do not have the Gen 2 on hand, but I have a few other scopes here to compare with and Gen 3 is very good.

I will look at the optics carefully and do my usual workup, but the initial impressions are exceedingly positive.

ILya

There is going to be a lot of smoking plastic in the near future from all those credit cards getting maxed out Mine included LOL!

Reactions: dravz
Sounds awesome! Can't wait to get one in and get playing with it.

Reactions: Patriots1884
I’m trying really hard to convince myself I’ll be happy with a Razor 1-6 E, and really don’t “need” this new 1-10.

I looked thru one at shot and it was awesome. I know thats a horrible place to check out a scope, but from what I saw buy with confidence. I think this scope is a must have, for whatever you wanna put it on. Sick tactical scope, sick hunting scope. Great on a 16" to 20" .308, 5.56, 6.5.....ect. Just super nice.

By the way I have a 1-8 NSX and this scope makes me want to throw it in the trash!!!

Reactions: dravz
I looked thru one at shot and it was awesome. I know thats a horrible place to check out a scope, but from what I saw buy with confidence. I think this scope is a must have, for whatever you wanna put it on. Sick tactical scope, sick hunting scope. Great on a 16" to 20" .308, 5.56, 6.5.....ect. Just super nice.

that pretty much sums it up

Wowzers!

Still would like to see non lume on a busy background. That picture is gorgeous though!

i have decent eyes. Not the worlds best but I think anyone would have a difficult time picking up the center at 1x without illum. In my mind you treat it like any RDO and have the illum on for reflex work

Reactions: PBWalsh
Do you know the estimated battery life?

Nvm... Recoil quoted 2.4 years on setting 6, constant on.

I will no longer worry about 1x non illuminated.

Reactions: RTV
I seldom make early conclusions on new designs and I make them public even more seldom.

Given that and barring a catastrophc failure of some sort, this scope is not going back to Vortex. It will remain on my Grendel AR and in my possession until one of my kids inherits it. Hell, I might build a higher end lightweight 6.5 Grendel for it. As it is, with a sling, BUIS and a 1-10x24 Gen 3 in an Aadmount, the whole thing weighs in at exactly 9.5 lbs. The barrel on this guy is an old BHW 18" midweight with a Type 1 chamber with a 15" Lancer handguard around it. It is quite accurate, so I hold onto it. I might build another upper around a carbon fiber Proof barrel. With a Brigand handguard, I might shave off a little more weight and get a little more accuracy.

As is, I get about 2530fps with Hornady factory 123gr ammo and it stays supersonic to about 1100 yards where I live.

This is as perfect of a general purpose / DMR scope as I have seen yet.

ILya

I seldom make early conclusions on new designs and I make them public even more seldom.

Given that and barring a catastrophc failure of some sort, this scope is not going back to Vortex. It will remain on my Grendel AR and in my possession until one of my kids inherits it. Hell, I might build a higher end lightweight 6.5 Grendel for it. As it is, with a sling, BUIS and a 1-10x24 Gen 3 in an Aadmount, the whole thing weighs in at exactly 9.5 lbs. The barrel on this guy is an old BHW 18" midweight with a Type 1 chamber with a 15" Lancer handguard around it. It is quite accurate, so I hold onto it. I might build another upper around a carbon fiber Proof barrel. With a Brigand handguard, I might shave off a little more weight and get a little more accuracy.

As is, I get about 2530fps with Hornady factory 123gr ammo and it stays supersonic to about 1100 yards where I live.

ILya

source.gif

That is awesome to hear! Thanks for the solid review.

That's not a review. A proper review will take time and will come eventually.

I got a LOT of private messages asking what I think. Normally, I go with "time will tell", but honestly I have not been this impressed with a new design for quite a long time, so I figured I might as well come out and say it. More details will follow as I go along, but given how long I've been doing this, my eyeball is pretty nicely calibrated and my initial impressions are usually accurate.

ILya

Proud of his humility, I like that.

It is intriguing.

As a big fan of the 1-6, this fills a void that has existed for a very, very long time. Unless they somehow crash and burn "Premier Reticles" style, this should start a whole new push in the optics world.

Yeah if this keeps up, in five or so years we’ll see 1-10 options sub 1k msrp.

I definitely hope I can buy one of these R3s though.

ILya

You must be impressed.

Ignoring cost, do you think this scope has made 2-10 scopes worthless?
Or is it a replacement for all 1-8s and 2-10/2-12s still have their place with larger objectives?

I was planning to get a 2-12x42 for a hunting/DMRish rifle, but wondering if this will be a better option.

That's not a review. A proper review will take time and will come eventually.

I got a LOT of private messages asking what I think. Normally, I go with "time will tell", but honestly I have not been this impressed with a new design for quite a long time, so I figured I might as well come out and say it. More details will follow as I go along, but given how long I've been doing this, my eyeball is pretty nicely calibrated and my initial impressions are usually accurate.

ILya

Sorry review was the wrong word but maybe first impressions would have been better but no matter what it was called it is what everyone wanted to hear!

It is intriguing.

As a big fan of the 1-6, this fills a void that has existed for a very, very long time. Unless they somehow crash and burn "Premier Reticles" style, this should start a whole new push in the optics world.
If I recall Vortex has become the largest sport optics manufacturer in the USA so going the way of "Premier" is not in the cards for them I would think.

Sounds like the Gen III 1-10x is a real winner. ILya, once you have more time with it, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the limitations of not having any parallax adjustment, especially with your Grendel at longer ranges.

You must be impressed.

Ignoring cost, do you think this scope has made 2-10 scopes worthless?
Or is it a replacement for all 1-8s and 2-10/2-12s still have their place with larger objectives?

I was planning to get a 2-12x42 for a hunting/DMRish rifle, but wondering if this will be a better option.

To get a 1-to-anything scope, you have to need 1x. A similar quality 2-10x42 will be better above 6x under challenging light conditions and, probably, not so challenging ones.

If most of your use is above 6x, do not get a LPVO. Get a more conventional scope with an offset RDS.

The Gen 3 is here to be an allrounder. Do everything in a pinch with one scope. Unlike other scopes that came before it that also did everything well in a pinch, this one also excels at a couple of things and is better than "in a pinch" at most others.

ILya

Reactions: beetroot

It is intriguing.

This is not a replacement for the 1-6x. I hope Vortex keeps both in the line-up. It does everything that the 1-6x does, but for a significant premium.

For many people the additional features of the 1-10x FFP do not justify the extra cost and for the 1-6x24 Gen 2E is the better deal.

ILya

To get a 1-to-anything scope, you have to need 1x. A similar quality 2-10x42 will be better above 6x under challenging light conditions and, probably, not so challenging ones.

If most of your use is above 6x, do not get a LPVO. Get a more conventional scope with an offset RDS.

The Gen 3 is here to be an allrounder. Do everything in a pinch with one scope. Unlike other scopes that came before it that also did everything well in a pinch, this one also excels at a couple of things and is better than "in a pinch" at most others.

ILya

Thats what I thought youd say, unfortunately there are very few high end 2-10ish scopes that offer a wide FOV, Mil and FFP.

Do you think the 1-10 will give up much to a 2-10 say XTR2?
I know thats not the intended market, but could be a worth while comparision considering the lack of options.

Last edited: