• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor News?

I doubt there will be much haggling until they fill out all the backorders.

ILya

most def. when things are on back order they will not but I am not sure how long these will be on allocation.

vortex imo is good about moving products but you are 100% right

Wonder what kind of discount Mil/Vet/LEO will get on it. Looks like I'll have to apply. 2K is a little more than I was looking to pay.

I jist got this from B&H:

Screenshot_20200107-092248_Outlook.jpg

I was just on the Vortex websight and they are now showing the Razor Gen111 scope with specs.

So, 1 MOA dot in the BDC reticle and 0.2 mrad dot (~0.7 MOA) in the mrad tree reticle.

The segmented circle seems to be a little smaller and thinner than the one in the FC-DM reticle.

@verdugo60 is this alogn the liens of what you were looking for? This dot is 57% of the size of the one in the Nightforce.

I like this. I got myself in line for the version with the EBR-9 MRAD.

I think Vortex will make a killing with these.

ILya

So, 1 MOA dot in the BDC reticle and 0.2 mrad dot (~0.7 MOA) in the mrad tree reticle.

The segmented circle seems to be a little smaller and thinner than the one in the FC-DM reticle.

@verdugo60 is this alogn the liens of what you were looking for? This dot is 57% of the size of the one in the Nightforce.

ILya

Goddammit! This might just be perfect for my Scar17. I will also be in line for an MRAD version. FML ?

Reactions: joetuono

ILya

Actually if you’re looking at area that the dot covers instead of linear measurement, this dot is about 1/3 the size of the one on the NX8.

116ft FoV at 1x is pretty good too. I’m certainly interested.

Damn, $2899? Thats a lotta dough! Do you guys think the lack of paralax adjustment is a big deal?

Reactions: Ruskin
So far this thing is on point.

1x/10x reticule look very useable with or without illumination, physical foot print is small and weight is acceptable (I'll assume glass quality is legit).

If the eye box is relatively flexible, then it's the best scope on the market for short to medium range and I'm buying one!

If that big centre dot/donut does it's bit at 1x then this scope will be awesome.

I've recently been looking at 2-10 scopes with Mil reticles and there is a serious lack of options in that space, this scope may well make 2-10 scopes moot.

If it’s a true 1x and good eye relief they will sell a shit ton of these

Reactions: jda2631
I felt kinda dirty watching that video. Like the scope was designed for Timmy's that suffer from delusions of mall ninja combat. I just want to do civilian things with it but now I'm worried I don't qualify to own one.

Yeah, that video was a little Paul Blart, but oh well.

And why can't we just have regular numbers instead of the goofy sci-fi style ones in the photos?

All that aside, it looks decent. I may have to pick one of these up and change my plans a little bit...

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
I felt kinda dirty watching that video. Like the scope was designed for Timmy's that suffer from delusions of mall ninja combat. I just want to do civilian things with it but now I'm worried I don't qualify to own one.

Yeah that video was pretty cringeworthy.
They could've found far less mall ninja examples of the intended use.

The optic does look pretty rad though.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger

ILya

Yes Sir, this might be Exactly what I was looking for, so far so good on the reticle.

For me it will be extremely impressive if it has the eyebox and usability of the 1-6 razor on 1x (extremely important for an LPVO as most engagements are close) AND a small enough reticle for precision at distance. I have high hopes for this one!

Since the Gen2 Razor 3-18 and 4.5-27 already have locking turrets, I was really hoping for the same turrets on this. Since I generally have time to dial when I’m shooting at long range with my SCAR, I much prefer to dial than hold over. Especially at 600yds with a 308. I understand it’s the same as on the 1-6 Gen2, and the target market is probably more “all around” ARs, but regular turrets would’ve really sealed the deal for me.

Since the Gen2 Razor 3-18 and 4.5-27 already have locking turrets, I was really hoping for the same turrets on this. Since I generally have time to dial when I’m shooting at long range with my SCAR, I much prefer to dial than hold over. Especially at 600yds with a 308. I understand it’s the same as on the 1-6 Gen2, and the target market is probably more “all around” ARs, but regular turrets would’ve really sealed the deal for me.

Perhaps a later version will have turrets... Would be nice to have the option but not my biggest need for this scope.

While I’ll agree that would be nice, i think with the fixed 100 yard parallax they don’t see too much beyond simple battle rifle. A DMR or LR Hunting version with parallax adjustment and an adjustable elevation turret would be damn near perfect. I also really like this optic for my 450 bushmaster hunting rifle. Southern Michigan ag fields offers not much farther than 300-400 yards and thick swamp makes this thing very appealing to me in multiple applications.

If these prove reliable and durable, I'd love one.

You can pop the caps off and dial if you liked. You can do that with the 1-6 also but most don't. With that reticle and the intended target styles for most people using this optic you can hold pretty accurately with some practice.

Another thing with the knobs set up you have to remember is weight. If they would have done a full locking Gen II style knob the weight would have went up and you would have gotten a ton of people calling it a pig etc like they do the Gen II. You had people complaining about the 1-6x and it wasn't even that heavy. It's all about compromises.

MSRP is different than street price.

Reactions: Moose
This appears to be a home run, let's hope the 1x is as good as the gen II 1-6 (the video makes this look very promising) and the eye box at 10x isn't awful. My LMT 308 needs one real bad...

It will be a home run when the product shows up and works as advertised. For now, all we can say is that it looks very promising.

Once it is here and enough people compare it to the ATACR, ZP8 and S&B, we will really know how it stacks up.

Do not get me wrong, it is at the top of my list of things to look at this year, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

ILya

Works as advertised and I will be very happy.I will give it at least 6 months and some hands on reviews from people like you Ilya before I spend the cash.

Works as advertised and I will be very happy.I will give it at least 6 months and some hands on reviews from people like you Ilya before I spend the cash.

I have very high expectations for this scope and I am quite friendly with guys at Vortex. I have known some of them since Vortex had ten employees or something along those lines.

That having been said, there is a clear distinction between high expectations and fanboy-ism. Vortex knows I will reap them a new one if the product sucks. I have in the past and will do so again if it comes to that.

I have said this before and it bears repeating: THE PRODUCT STANDS ON ITS OWN MERIT. It does not matter who made it, how well it is introduced (Vortex does that very well) or how much money is spent on marketing.

The guys at Vortex know this and understand this. They understand criticism is not malicious and in the end it all comes down to how good the product is.

However, on our side, we have to really temper our expectations until we have something real to base them on. For now, very few people have seen the scope and noone has seen a full production model. Keep that in mind.

ILya

It looks like the reticle is similar to the Nightforce design and if so, that’s very disappointing .

With a 24mm objective, the parallax error is relatively negligble. The max error is approximately 4.5 inches at 1000 yards with proper sight alignment.

Reactions: deersniper
With a 24mm objective, the parallax error is relatively negligble. The max error is approximately 4.5 inches at 1000 yards with proper sight alignment.

At 1000 yards, the question is not so much about parallax, but rather about depth of field and ability to focus on a target properly. The calculation there does not take into account the size of the eye pupil or de-focus (I have an excel that covers all that), so the practical parallax error is even less than that IF the target is in focus well enough. If it is very defocused all sorts of weird things can happen.

With some LPVOs that have short focal lengths I have to dial down to lower magnification at longer distances in order to increase the depth of field.

That is why when March did their original 1-10x24 and 1-8x24 LPVOs, they used side focus and if you really want to do long range with a small scope like that, March might still be the best option out there.

ZP8 deals with that problem differently: when you go to higher mag, focus distance shifts out to 200 yards (it is 50 yards on 1x), but it is still less effective than side focus.

I did some crude experiemntation with this when I convinced SWFA to set the parallax free distance of their BDC equipped 2.5-10x32 Ultralight to 150 yards vs the 100 yards focus of the plex model. Side-by-side, once you get beyond 400 yards, there is a significant difference in the focus between the two models.

Now, for the market Razor Gen 3 is going for, side focus would not be appropriate, so they did they right thing by omitting it and I expect it to work fine at distance, but it is a focus issue more than a parallax issue.

ILya

Reactions: Kopfjager1