• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Vortex scopes-Really that good or just the new fad

ISUSteve

Private
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2009
I was going to between a Monarch and a Viper. The more I looked into it, the more I heard go with the Vortex. So I stared to look into it more and seems they have a lot of the scopes go out the door that need to go back, hence how everyone knows about their excellent CS.

So Vortex, really that good or how long until they'll stop being the "it" scope?

Re: Vortex scopes-Really that good or just the new fad

Time will tell. Good things come to those who wait.

I had a viper 6.5-20. a great scope for the money. I'll own more Vortex's.

I bought two scopes last week, a 3-9X42 Super Sniper and a Vortex Viper 6.5-20X44. I bought the SS for a M1a Match and the Viper for a RRA 24" Varmint rifle. I'm waiting on mounts for the RRA so I put the vortex on a HK91 and the SS on the M1a and went to the dessert yesterday. I am very pleased with both scopes. I had problems with the base on the HK and could not get the rifle zeroed. However both scopes passed a box test. The Viper has the better optics IMO. I brought an unmounted older 6.5-20X40 VIII Leupold just to compare it to the Viper. The scopes are very close in optical quality to my eye. Hopefully I will get the Viper mounted this week on the RRA and I'll mount the Leupold on something and compare them in the field soon. I plan on taking a resolution chart.

There may be a Fad element to all the Vortex attention. But based on what I've seen I will be buying at least one PST. Durability testing can only come with time for me. I'm not going to abuse a scope to see if it can take it. But looking through the Viper all I can say is Wow. My eyes are 50 years old but they don't lie to me. This scope cost me less than half what the Leupold did and their aint $600.00 difference between them. Same power, roughly the same size, both 30mm tubes, both are side focus, very comparable view, both have positive click adjustments and both have similar warranties. If the durability is there, whats not to like?

By the way the Super Sniper has found a permanent home on my M1a Match. This is my first FFP mil/mil scope and I'm in love. This scope offers excellent value. The knob are a little stiff but the clicks are easy to feel. It is not mushy like my 10X SS. Glass is good, a little better than my 10X SS.

For what its worth the new American Eagle 168g OTM load is a keeper as well. After zeroing I was shooting steel so I did not measure any groups but head shots on 3/4 scale IPSC steel targets at 400 yards were no problem

...thanks for posting this...I've wanted some one to compare the viper to the sniper...

...thanks especialy for the box test results...this issue seems to be often overlooked in reviews here...it seems pretty imortant to me...

Re: Vortex scopes-Really that good or just the new

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OutRider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...thanks for posting this...I've wanted some one to compare the viper to the sniper...

...thanks especialy for the box test results...this issue seems to be often overlooked in reviews here...it seems pretty imortant to me... </div></div>
why...do...people...post...like...this?

...thanks especialy for the box test results...this issue seems to be often overlooked in reviews here...it seems pretty imortant to me... [/quote]

I'll feel better about the box test on the Viper when I mount it on the RRA. The mount on the HK91 is not right and I could not zero at 100 yards. I was hitting 10 inches low on the target but the mount and rings were tight. The HK91 is stock with a heavy trigger, groups were 1.5 inches. This is not an optimal testing platform. However, in addition to a box I ran the knobs up and down and side to side repeatedly and returned them to zero and fired a shot then repeated for five shots with each gun and the groups were on par with the zero groups.

Choosing between the two scopes would be tough and for me, would depend more on application than quality. I'm keeping both. The HK91 will get the Viper PST 1-4 mil/mil. As to future needs the Vortex line will be the first place I look.

I'm taking these Scopes out when the mount gets in and weather permitting. Any other thoughts on testing?