• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex V.I.P. warranty...It works

Nodakplowboy

Going Forward
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 4, 2017
    I had purchased a Gen 2 5x25 mil/mil earlier this year and had been using it on a regular basis mounted to a .308. A couple of weeks ago I noticed the parallax was getting a little funky. The focus/parallax free range on the knob became very narrow. Sent them a email, received a prompt reply requesting it be sent in for service, which I did same day. On 8/31 I received a email stating the scope had landed at the service dept.

Yesterday a box from Vortex landed at the shop. The work order had the following statement:

"PST 5-25x50 FFP MRAD inspected the scope and found the parallax was changing with the impact test. The scope was replaced with new. The new S/N is....." Additionally, this morning I received a follow up phone call from Larry in response to a voicemail I'd left.

This is why I own 5 Vortex scopes and a rangefinder plus scope rings. Excellent products, customer service at it's finest.

Thanks Vortex.

I have had to send scopes to Bushnell, Burris/Steiner, ATK/Weaver, and Vortex for warranty repair. While they all did a great job, Vortex was the fastest, and had the best communication.

Seems to work too often for some of their optics.

Percentage wise not much more.

People also have to remember it doesn't only cover mechanical issues but accidental damage. Drop the scope from the tree stand? Covered. Burnt in a house fire? Covered. Fell off the back of a truck? Covered. Try that with some other companies.

I had purchased a Gen 2 5x25 mil/mil earlier this year and had been using it on a regular basis mounted to a .308. A couple of weeks ago I noticed the parallax was getting a little funky. The focus/parallax free range on the knob became very narrow. Sent them a email, received a prompt reply requesting it be sent in for service, which I did same day. On 8/31 I received a email stating the scope had landed at the service dept.

Yesterday a box from Vortex landed at the shop. The work order had the following statement:

"PST 5-25x50 FFP MRAD inspected the scope and found the parallax was changing with the impact test. The scope was replaced with new. The new S/N is....." Additionally, this morning I received a follow up phone call from Larry in response to a voicemail I'd left.

This is why I own 5 Vortex scopes and a rangefinder plus scope rings. Excellent products, customer service at it's finest.

Thanks Vortex.

How narrow was the parallax issue? Wondering if I have something similar going on. Seems good up to about 150 yards. After that is seems like I can leave it at 500 on the parallax and it is focused from 200 yards to 1000 yards on targets.

Percentage wise not much more.

People also have to remember it doesn't only cover mechanical issues but accidental damage. Drop the scope from the tree stand? Covered. Burnt in a house fire? Covered. Fell off the back of a truck? Covered. Try that with some other companies.

Come on ... their PST Gen 1 was a disgrace ... probably the worst track record beside the Leupys ...

Come on ... their PST Gen 1 was a disgrace ... probably the worst track record beside the Leupys ...

Again percentage. Yes some had issues but a vast majority didn't. Plenty out there with PSTs with no issues.

Vortex's warranty is their main draw. I've had several of their products, ranging from Viper to Razor Gen 2 scopes, and a Razor spotter. They have all had something wrong and needed to be sent in for repair/replacement. I agree, their warranty service is top notch, but it would be nice to not need to use it so often.

I too have had several Vortex products; 8 Vortex scopes and 3 spotters ranging from Gen 2 Razors and AMGs to Viper PSTs and spotters of both flavors. I've had zero issues and never used their warranty but it's nice to know it's there should I ever need it.

Vortex's warranty is their main draw. I've had several of their products, ranging from Viper to Razor Gen 2 scopes, and a Razor spotter. They have all had something wrong and needed to be sent in for repair/replacement. I agree, their warranty service is top notch, but it would be nice to not need to use it so often.

Most major optics companies offer the same warranty (and most have for years before vortex came around). Bottom line is, Vortex's warranty is famous because lots of people have to use it!

Most major optics companies offer the same warranty (and most have for years before vortex came around). Bottom line is, Vortex's warranty is famous because lots of people have to use it!

No they don't. Take your scope and accidentally run it over and completely ruin it and bring it to another company and see what happens. You will get a new scope from Vortex.

The fact that some companies now have a similar warranty is because of the Vortex warranty and having to offer similar to customers to compete. I knew of no company that offered what Vortex does to their customers before they did and I am not new to this sport. There are some now offering similar.

How narrow was the parallax issue? Wondering if I have something similar going on. Seems good up to about 150 yards. After that is seems like I can leave it at 500 on the parallax and it is focused from 200 yards to 1000 yards on targets.

At 100 yds. P. free the knob was about 65-70. At 650 yds, P. free, knob a hair over 200. P. free was possible between those ranges, but it was a very fine movement of the knob. Also, when P.free the image was slightly out of focus.

I've about 60 rds. through the new, running like a champ.

Oh yeah... another thread thats turned into optics bashing.

i guess we are about a month late...

Took my cousin and his hst out today, only half the turrets elevation rotation actually moves the reticle, the other half of each rotation clicks but it stays stationary. Not sure if it's the scope or the vertical split aero unimount thing squeezing it causing it to hang. I'm not impressed with the viper pst/hst series at least.

And how many Vortex scopes do you have that have had issues, please enlighten us.

Two of their optics. A Viper HD spotting scope and a Gen 1 Razor that still had issues when I sold it. My Gen 2 Razor seems to be working fine though and I have not found any flaws in my Viper HS but haven't spent a whole lot of time with it.

My comment was primarily based off the numerous reports of people that were so pleased with the Vortex warranty, and Vortex does do a great job in that department. However, it would be nice if you heard about it as much as you do with someone like Nightforce. But it sells and they are doing a great job at that too.

Hope that was enlightening.

Last edited:
    Apropos of wareagles700's comments, this fascination with warranty in the US is something non-US forum members do not understand, and find endlessly amusing.

In other countries, if we buy something and we break it, we pay to have it fixed. If it fails within a set period of our ownership, then the manufacturer owns the liability.

That's why it's nice to be an American! ;)