• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo Gun Works V-22 Rimfire Bolt Action

Having vudoo rebarrel my barreled action. What's the barrel brand of choice? Bartlein, ace, proof? Or something else.
Proof or nothing ?
41CA857A-5166-4156-9EA9-C844B0BCA725.jpeg

You can never have too many spare magazines! As attractive as the new aluminum mags are, I've been shooting my oldest V22 for nearly four years (and a couple of jelrod-converted 40X rifles for more than a year longer than that) with the original plastic 10rd mags, and they're still going strong. Don't let the availability of the aluminum mags keep you from buying some plastic spares.
I have put 5-10 k thru my plastic mag. I works better now than when it was new.
Having vudoo rebarrel my barreled action. What's the barrel brand of choice? Bartlein, ace, proof? Or something else.
I like my Ace but i’d like to try a Bart

So help me out. I’ve got a barreled action on the way from mike high with a KRG X-ray . I’m going to swap a timney 510 from another gun for a tac sport and put the 510 on the vudoo. ( or just put the tac sport on the vudoo)

So question, between the action, chassis and trigger purchase, am I going to get all of the small parts needed for a build? Action screws, pins for trigger, etc? I know my way around an AR and have shot a lot of bolt guns but never assembled one.

Many thanks

What the hell, you only live once! That's how I justified this purchase to myself.....
Also, a lot of great discussion in this thread, that helped to push me over the edge.
Looking forward to getting this one running.
Purchased from Mile High Shooting last week, and received today.
Grayboe Custom Ridgeback stock, TriggerTech Special trigger, 30MOA rail and
bottom metal from Vudoo are on the way.
Haven't decided on glass yet, but I have a few different scopes I can use, until I do.

I like the pattern to your hard wood floor or table that its on.......

Reactions: jeronimo
So question, between the action, chassis and trigger purchase, am I going to get all of the small parts needed for a build? Action screws, pins for trigger, etc? I know my way around an AR and have shot a lot of bolt guns but never assembled one.

Many thanks

It will come with action screws and trigger pins.

Reactions: goatboy
So help me out. I’ve got a barreled action on the way from mike high with a KRG X-ray . I’m going to swap a timney 510 from another gun for a tac sport and put the 510 on the vudoo. ( or just put the tac sport on the vudoo)

Many thanks
The KRG X-Ray has its own action screws, so you won't need the action screws that came with the Vudoo. It comes with the trigger pins too and you will need those.

Reactions: goatboy
I like my Ace but i’d like to try a Bart

Cuzz,
My 1st V22 was purchased as a bare action; I fitted & chambered a Krieger blank in sendero contour for it, and finished it at 22". The next hvy bbl'd action I bought had a 22" Bartlein in Kukri contour, and the 3rd was another bbl'd action with an ACE in Ranch contour finished at 18". They've all shot about equally well, although the two with heavier contour bbls are easier to hold steady as the shot breaks and follow-through. From the groups I've shot with all three, my opinion is that there's little or no difference in accuracy potential between the three barrel makes. Having used a lot of Bartlein & Krieger blanks on various CF rifle builds for myself & customers, I didn't really expect to find the .22RF blanks from either company to have an edge over the other, and that's been the case.

I didn't care for the balance of the lightweight Ranch model bbl'd action, and on that basis alone, I ordered in a Krieger #4 sporter contour blank, and replaced the ACE Ranch bbl with the Krieger, again finished at 22". That solved the balance issue, and the slightly heavier bbl does make the rifle a bit easier to shoot off the bench, though I don't feel that the Krieger bbl is any more accurate than the ACE was. That's saying a lot for the ACE, as the Krieger 22s I've chambered have been uniformly excellent shooters - on Stiller 2500XR, Rem 40XB, and both V22s. It'd be interesting to have the opportunity to compare several more Bartlein & ACE blanks on V22 actions, but from what I've heard from friends with ACE bbls, and the posts I've read here from forum members with V22s with ACE bbls, I'd be somewhat more than slightly surprised to find that there's much - if any - difference in the accuracy potential of the ACE vs Bartlein. Not writing this to discourage any intent you might have to buy another V22 with a Bartlein - power to you if you should decide to do so. A younger shooter with better vision might be able to wring better results out of my rifles than I can - in fact, it wouldn't surprise me if that were the case.

I've got a similar rifle. 20" Kukri and front weight kit in the MPA. It weighs 17 lbs. The front weight kit is 2.2lbs

That sounds about right. I was guessing with my scope and bipod I was around 16-17 lbs. It feels a little heavier than my Tikka which is close to 15 lbs.

Reactions: reubenski
how long are you guys going between cleanings? Or how many rounds usually does it take before seeing some degradation of accuracy? Bonus points if you have a proof barrel and answer lol

Just picked up a forend T slot weight in the PX. I could use a bit more weight in front of the mag.

I'm probably the 'odd duck' here, but I wipe the bores of all my custom bbl'd 22RF bbls after each & every range session. I use Ed's Red solvent, which is rather mild compared to some of the chemical concoctions in today's market. Two wet patches, followed by one dry patch, and I'm done - unless I feel some roughness in the bore with the 2nd patch, or get slivers of leading out on one of the patches. That hardly ever happens, but if it does, I'll go in with a bronze bore brush and get rid of it. I'm a bit surprised that guys shooting today's custom bbls still talk about how many rounds it takes to 'settle' the bore after cleaning - because I just don't see any of that sort of thing in my Bartlein, Kriegers, Lilja, or Shilen bbls. I don't shoot any hi vel, copper-washed ammo through these bbls, stick strictly with lubed lead std vel match ammo. Don't know whether that has anything to do with lack of the need to foul a recently cleaned bbl before shooting a match or not, but that's been my experience with every rimfire rifle I've built for myself since early 2016.

I'm probably the 'odd duck' here, but I wipe the bores of all my custom bbl'd 22RF bbls after each & every range session. I use Ed's Red solvent, which is rather mild compared to some of the chemical concoctions in today's market. Two wet patches, followed by one dry patch, and I'm done - unless I feel some roughness in the bore with the 2nd patch, or get slivers of leading out on one of the patches. That hardly ever happens, but if it does, I'll go in with a bronze bore brush and get rid of it. I'm a bit surprised that guys shooting today's custom bbls still talk about how many rounds it takes to 'settle' the bore after cleaning - because I just don't see any of that sort of thing in my Bartlein, Kriegers, Lilja, or Shilen bbls. I don't shoot any hi vel, copper-washed ammo through these bbls, stick strictly with lubed lead std vel match ammo. Don't know whether that has anything to do with lack of the need to foul a recently cleaned bbl before shooting a match or not, but that's been my experience with every rimfire rifle I've built for myself since early 2016.
1 vfg felt with boretec rimfire and 3 dry vfg pellets every time i shoot, brass brush around 500 shots.

I am the guy who went from never cleaning his 22lr because I thought it only got better if you didn't to every time I come in from the range. I have found when shooting Bench and F-class it started to really make a difference how clean the barrel was....So now it's 2 Boretec Carbon patches and brush the dry patches..2 boretec Rimfire Blend patches and brush then dry patches.

im Just running a couple of rem oil patches and then dry ones on a patch worm until it’s dry and stops coming out dirty. Seems to work. Going to find out tonight or tomorrow

im Just running a couple of rem oil patches and then dry ones on a patch worm until it’s dry and stops coming out dirty. Seems to work. Going to find out tonight or tomorrow
Putting an oil with teflon added in a bore that's going to be shot with lead bullets probably isn't the best plan - the Rem Oil I have does have some teflon/ptfe added. It takes quite a few rounds of low velocity lead bullets to finally get enough of the teflon out of the bore to stop making a difference on elevation. Now, if you're shooting high velocity jacketed ammo, the teflon will be gone after just 2-3rds, but it takes much longer with lubricated lead bullets to finally get rid of the lubricating effects of teflon.

True story to illustrate this - we were shooting the NRA National Championships Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Silhouette matches at Raton, NM in 1996, and one of my teammates was in the running to win. He left his 44-1/2 Stevens rifle in the cleaning cradle after shooting turkeys to go spot for another team member. After that match, he went back, picked up his rifle & ammo, and while walking to his firing point to shoot the rams, he noticed some sort of oil running out of the breech of his rifle onto his hand - someone had squirted a syringe of Break Free CLP into the bore of his rifle while he was spotting. His rifle was chambered for the 40-65 WCF, and we were shooting loads consisting of around 57grs of Goex FFg black powder with 412gr lubricated lead cast bullets. Even after wiping the oil out with a couple of dry patches, he was shooting way low, and never did get the rifle shooting like it should've. Pretty shitty way to treat a good guy with a good rifle & good ammo - wish we could've proven who did the deed, and got them DQ'd from the matches.

Last edited:
Putting an oil with teflon added in a bore that's going to be shot with lead bullets probably isn't the best plan - the Rem Oil I have does have some teflon/ptfe added. It takes quite a few rounds of low velocity lead bullets to finally get enough of the teflon out of the bore to stop making a difference on elevation. Now, if you're shooting high velocity jacketed ammo, the teflon will be gone after just 2-3rds, but it takes much longer with lubricated lead bullets to finally get rid of the lubricating effects of teflon.

True story to illustrate this - we were shooting the NRA National Championships Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Silhouette matches at Raton, NM in 1996, and one of my teammates was in the running to win. He left his 44-1/2 Stevens rifle in the cleaning cradle after shooting turkeys to go spot for another team member. After that match, he went back, picked up his rifle & ammo, and while walking to his firing point to shoot the rams, he noticed some sort of oil running out of the breech of his rifle onto his hand - someone had squirted a syringe of Break Free CLP into the bore of his rifle while he was spotting. His rifle was chambered for the 40-65 WCF, and we were shooting loads consisting of around 57grs of Goex FFFg black powder with 412gr lubricated lead cast bullets. Even after wiping the oil out with a couple of dry patches, he was shooting way low, and never did get the rifle shooting like it should've. Pretty shitty way to treat a good guy with a good rifle & good ammo - wish we could've proven who did the deed, and got them DQ'd from the matches.
Thank you! I will find a solvent that doesn’t use Teflon or ptfe in it as to avoid any issues. And that’s a dick move to sabotage somebody’s rifle at a match, let alone in general ?

I clean all my rimfire rifles, including my Vudoos, after every outing. So pretty much every 100-300 rounds. Why wait until accuracy drops off. Keep it at a known and predictable level.

I like Shooters Choice cut 50-50 with Kroil. VFG pellets are awesome and you really get a feel for the inside of the bore.

I clean all my rimfire rifles, including my Vudoos, after every outing. So pretty much every 100-300 rounds. Why wait until accuracy drops off. Keep it at a known and predictable level.

I like Shooters Choice cut 50-50 with Kroil. VFG pellets are awesome and you really get a feel for the inside of the bore.
I assume you use their lead remover? I will look into that as well. Thank you!

Anyone else not getting that great of groups using center x with their vudoo? I guess that’s not entirely accurate the 50 yard groups are great but they are with almost any ammo it’s the 100 yard and farther that open up. Don’t get me wrong it’s not bad with cx average about an inch to 1 1/2” at 100. I just get far better performance with Eley Match and rws r50 with mine and I’m totally fine with that I know every barrel likes what it likes I was just curious if anyone else had similar ammo results ?

I use Pro Shot 1-Step as outlined by Dan Killough. Combination cleaner and lube. I also use a nylon brush about every 500 rounds.

Anyone else not getting that great of groups using center x with their vudoo? I guess that’s not entirely accurate the 50 yard groups are great but they are with almost any ammo it’s the 100 yard and farther that open up. Don’t get me wrong it’s not bad with cx average about an inch to 1 1/2” at 100. I just get far better performance with Eley Match and rws r50 with mine and I’m totally fine with that I know every barrel likes what it likes I was just curious if anyone else had similar ammo results ?

I had to test about a dozen lots of Center-X before finding a really good lot, and due to it taking me several weeks between the time I received the samples and the time I was able to shoot them, everyone else in the country had already figured out that it was a good lot, and I couldn't find any more of it. That was 3yrs or more ago, and since then, I'd sent a V22 bbl'd action to the Lapua Test Center, where Daniel was able to find a lot that shot plenty good enough to satisfy me. I ordered two cases of it while he & I were talking the test results over, it arrived less than a week later, and I'm very pleased with it.

I have shot a couple of lots of Eley Match EPS that will out-shoot the Center-X I have at 200+yds, but I haven't had the best results in getting it to feed 100% of the time, and since the difference in accuracy isn't great, and it's $4/box more than the Lapua, I'm good with my Center-X.

Well it's here, and it's put together.

Vudoo V22 Kukri 18" Ace Barrel
Huber Staged-Break 2-stage 1.6lb
Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x56
Seekins 1" Rings
MDT ACC - Cut down 3.5inches
3 Internal MDT Acc Weights (Adds 1.56 lbs to front)​
Aluminum Butt Plate (lessens back .5 lbs)​
3D printed bag rider (lessens back .2 lbs)​
TBAC Bipod

With the bipod on, it balances right in front of the mag well. So basically I would want another 1lb or so of weight up front, maybe 2 external weight sets, or have switched to a MTU barrel profile instead of Kukri.

I should've done my action graphite black like the chassis. Not sure what color I would want to cerakote the barrel.

I've just been dry firing the Huber 700, and even though it's .6lbs heavier than my 2-stage Timney on the Tikka, it breaks when I want it to... there's all this talk from Huber which goes over my head, but it feels better than the Timney. We'll see during comps.

Thank you @Eoddave27 for the work on the chassis!

1584656610055.png

Last edited:
Well it's here, and it's put together.

Vudoo V22 Kukri 18" Ace Barrel
Huber Staged-Break 2-stage 1.6lb
Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x56
Seekins 1" Rings
MDT ACC - Cut down 3.5inches
3 Internal MDT Acc Weights (Adds 1.56 lbs to front)​
Aluminum Butt Plate (lessens back .5 lbs)​
3D printed bag rider (lessens back .2 lbs)​
TBAC Bipod

With the bipod on, it balances right in front of the mag well. So basically I would want another 1lb or so of weight up front, maybe 2 external weight sets, or have switched to a MTU barrel profile instead of Kukri.

I should've done my action graphite black like the chassis. Not sure what color I would want to cerakote the barrel.

I've just been dry firing the Huber 700, and even though it's .6lbs heavier than my 2-stage Timney on the Tikka, it breaks when I want it to... there's all this talk from Huber which goes over my head, but it feels better than the Timney. We'll see during comps.

Thank you @Eoddave27 for the work on the chassis!

View attachment 7276940

I agree with you on the Huber physics. :geek:

If it balances, why another 1 lb up front? Is there a front heavy preference I'm not aware of?

I had to test about a dozen lots of Center-X before finding a really good lot, and due to it taking me several weeks between the time I received the samples and the time I was able to shoot them, everyone else in the country had already figured out that it was a good lot, and I couldn't find any more of it. That was 3yrs or more ago, and since then, I'd sent a V22 bbl'd action to the Lapua Test Center, where Daniel was able to find a lot that shot plenty good enough to satisfy me. I ordered two cases of it while he & I were talking the test results over, it arrived less than a week later, and I'm very pleased with it.

I have shot a couple of lots of Eley Match EPS that will out-shoot the Center-X I have at 200+yds, but I haven't had the best results in getting it to feed 100% of the time, and since the difference in accuracy isn't great, and it's $4/box more than the Lapua, I'm good with my Center-X.
I pretty much agree with everything you said I have 3 more lot’s of cx to try definitely haven’t given up it. The Eley feeds pretty good in mine but again you’re correct on price. I really should send my rifle of to the Lapua test facility but I just have so much fun shooting it I’m not ready to give it up for that time yet.

how long are you guys going between cleanings? Or how many rounds usually does it take before seeing some degradation of accuracy? Bonus points if you have a proof barrel and answer lol
Article by Dan Killough -
  • Dan Kilough - Barrel Cleaning article
Does a cleaner gun mean a cleaner shot?
With 15 years’ experience as a Benchrest competitor and champion, Dan Killough knows how to extract accuracy from a rimfire barrel. As head of ELEY’s customer test range in Texas, he has overseen hundreds of tests to become an authority on barrel maintenance. Here, Dan discusses his barrel cleaning regimen and how it improves accuracy and performance.
“One of the most common questions I receive on the phone and at the test range is ‘What is your cleaning procedure?’ After reviewing data from thousands of rifle tests worldwide and from my personal experience of shooting and cleaning my own rifles, here’s the low down on the cleaning procedure used at the ELEY customer range.
A clean gun shoots better than a dirty gun.
But how often should we be cleaning our firearms in order to maintain good accuracy?
At ELEY, when testing a rifle we note when it is cleaned and data is collected on the fouling shots. Our engineers have crunched the numbers and come to the conclusion that cleaning is good for rimfire barrels. I’ve also drawn the same conclusion from my experience shooting Benchrest. Every barrel loses accuracy once it becomes dirty, although the point at which it loses accuracy is different for each barrel. In almost all rimfire competitions, somewhere between 25 – 100 shots are required before a competitor can easily clean their rifle. I also have not personally seen a rifle that could not shoot at least 100 rounds before losing accuracy due to fouling. So, we settled on 90-100 rounds in between cleanings.
How should we actually clean the barrel?
At the Texas range we use a bore guide that fits the cleaning rod tightly and that does not go all the way to the barrel. Instead it stops at the loading ramp. I like to see the rod as it goes into the barrel. This is so I can verify that it is going straight down the center. For this I use a Kleen Bore Jag because it is the same diameter as my cleaning rod. I prefer Pro-Shot 1 1/8 inch square cleaning patches, and Pro-Shot 1-Step Solvent. I push one wet patch down the barrel and remove the patch at the muzzle. Then, to remove the combustion ring, I use a Short 10 inch cleaning rod. This has a .22 caliber nylon brush to scrub the first two or three inches of the barrel with a back and forth motion for about 10 strokes.
Next, I push more wet patches down the barrel until they come out clean. Typically this takes about four patches. If I’m continuing to shoot the rifle, I’ll end with a dry patch. If I am finished shooting for the day I’ll end with a wet patch.
I’ve bore-scoped many .22 barrels and have found that a nylon brush always removes the combustion ring. In the past I’ve used a bronze brush which I don’t believe will damage the barrel. Although many people do not like to use them on rimfire barrels. The nylon brush could not possibly damage the barrel and I know it is getting the job done, so that is what I use.
This cleaning routine has served me well, and I hope you find this information helpful. I only shoot lead bullets and the forces for a rimfire rifle are not what a centerfire rifle is subjected to. Cleaning a rimfire is relatively easy. It can be done in just a couple of minutes, and is extremely beneficial for accuracy. If you are not currently cleaning your rifle on a regular basis, I strongly urge you to do so.”

With the panic buying, I will be happy with any center x, not just a specific lot, in the next few months....wait for it...

Ammo alternatives for the V-22

So apparently I have bad luck, I managed to buy a Vudoo in the middle of the apocalypse and run in Ammo...

My V-22 barreled action shipped the other day in the midst of economic meltdown down runs in Ammo. I had previously ordered 2 -500 round boxes of SK Match Plus and realized that that was the extent of my match grade ammo went to order more.

its gone

What alternatives in available Ammo do I have

Oh and I’m in mass, so getting ammo is a pain in the ass

Thanks guys, given the economy I will now likely have more time to shoot and no ammo to put through my new rifle (sorry it’s been a really really tough week)

Geco? Prime? Federal Target? Wolf?

So apparently I have bad luck, I managed to buy a Vudoo in the middle of the apocalypse and run in Ammo...

My V-22 barreled action shipped the other day in the midst of economic meltdown down runs in Ammo. I had previously ordered 2 -500 round boxes of SK Match Plus and realized that that was the extent of my match grade ammo went to order more.

its gone

Thanks guys, given the economy I will now likely have more time to shoot and no ammo to put through my new rifle (sorry it’s been a really really tough week)

tons of SK rifle at the ammostore

its gone

I'm in MA as well. I've used FGMM Match (not FGMM Target) with excellent results. Target Sports USA will ship.

Reactions: Rate_of_Twist