• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo Gun Works V-22 Rimfire Bolt Action

You aren’t supposed to change direction in the bore…..and you aren’t supposed to push them over the crown……how the hell are you supposed to clean a barrel? 😂

I’ve got 25k rounds on my barrel and clean at least once per brick sometimes more frequently. I reverse brush directions all the time scrubbing it out. It still hammers.

• Haha
Reactions: Cowpokey and Rob01
Go for it. If it works for you but changing direction in the bore in my decades has always been a no no no matter the caliber. The muzzle is fine if you do it carefully as the brush has to come out somewhere. LOL

Today was the first time I ever heard of someone pushing a brush from the muzzle to the breach. That goes against everything I've ever been taught. First you don't want to take a chance of damaging the crown. Second, you'd be pushing everything back into the action. Third, going from the breach to the muzzle is the same way as what the projectile and the gas does, you don't reverse that.

Clean your gun how ever you want, I'll do the same. Happy Friday!

Today was the first time I ever heard of someone pushing a brush from the muzzle to the breach. That goes against everything I've ever been taught. First you don't want to take a chance of damaging the crown. Second, you'd be pushing everything back into the action. Third, going from the breach to the muzzle is the same way as what the projectile and the gas does, you don't reverse that.

Clean your gun how ever you want, I'll do the same. Happy Friday!

The best rimfire br shooters on the planet pull there brush from the muzzle to the breach. First a bronze brush bristles are the only thing really running over the crown. Second I explained to why you don't want to push a brush from breech to muzzle. I definitely would not want to push carbon down the barrel if it so happened to get knocked off in the cleaning process. You obviously haven't been around many br shooters in the rimfire game. I'm giving you guys what the top shooters are doing in rfbr. Is it set in stone ? No . It is a preferred method of the world's top benchrest rimfire shooters. Take it as you want

iu.gif

The best rimfire br shooters on the planet pull there brush from the muzzle to the breach. First a bronze brush bristles are the only thing really running over the crown. Second I explained to why you don't want to push a brush from breech to muzzle. I definitely would not want to push carbon down the barrel if it so happened to get knocked off in the cleaning process. You obviously haven't been around many br shooters in the rimfire game. I'm giving you guys what the top shooters are doing in rfbr. Is it set in stone ? No . It is a preferred method of the world's top benchrest rimfire shooters. Take it as you want
I’m trying to figure out why the direction makes a difference for carbon going down the barrel while cleaning? And “if it happened to get knocked off in the cleaning process”? Isn’t knocking carbon off kinda the point of cleaning?

I’m trying to figure out why the direction makes a difference for carbon going down the barrel while cleaning? And “if it happened to get knocked off in the cleaning process”? Isn’t knocking carbon off kinda the point of cleaning?
Not pushing it down the damn barrel. You do know carbon is the hardest substance on earth right. What happens if you keep pushing it down the barrel? You guys are unbelievable. Do you think I make this shit up? I shoot with the best shooters this planet has to offer and this is what they do. Like I said take it as you will cause obviously you guys know it all already. Lmfao

Not pushing it down the damn barrel. You do know carbon is the hardest substance on earth right. What happens if you keep pushing it down the barrel? You guys are unbelievable. Do you think I make this shit up? I shoot with the best shooters this planet has to offer and this is what they do. Like I said take it as you will cause obviously you guys know it all already. Lmfao
So push bad but pull good to get the same substance out of the same barrel?

My only thought is that most of the carbon in the barrel is near the ignition of the round so going from muzzle to breach would push a lot less carbon than going from breach to muzzle.

I was trying to understand that also. Is there no chance debris from the carbon ring would get dragged down the bore between cleanings? Make no sense at all...that's why I put turbo on the "ignore" option. Duder tries to come off as "the expert", maybe...but I doubt it. Congrats on winning nationals @CBeck.

I was trying to understand that also. Is there no chance debris from the carbon ring would get dragged down the bore between cleanings? Make no sense at all...that's why I put turbo on the "ignore" option. Duder tries to come off as "the expert", maybe...but I doubt it. Congrats on winning nationals @CBeck.
Regionals* lol but thank you sir!

My only thought is that most of the carbon in the barrel is near the ignition of the round so going from muzzle to breach would push a lot less carbon than going from breach to muzzle.
See when you say it like that it actually makes sense

Reactions: Cowpokey
Cleaning question:
I have been using bronze brushes ( like most competitive rimfire BR shooters ) to clean my BR rimfire rifles for years. Now I have a new Vudoo repeater and according to Vudoo tutorials on cleaning, we should only use nylon brushes. Any infos that Vudoo barrels are different, like more fragile ?

Thanks guys for your input.

Gilbert
Congratulations on the new rifle, I've had mine for a couple months now. Like you I paid attention to Vudoo's recommendations and in my case I followed them. My last daily shooter was an Anschutz and they prescribed a bronze brush every 1000 rds for the first 10k rounds. And so that is what I did. Interestingly, that rifle struggled with a carbon ring that required the brushing.

On the other hand my Vudoo with 5k rounds through it has never had a carbon ring. I clean every time I shoot and leave a soaking mop (Hoppes 9) in the chamber. I use a plastic brush on the chamber only. The bore has never been brushed and is immaculate. I will pass on something that was given to me ... get a borescope and do only as much as you need to.

These cleaning threads get a little silly. It is a known fact that if everything found on the internet on rimfire rifle cleaning were to disappear at once there would be a huge sucking sound as half of the known universe disappeared into the void. Further, there are those who if they heard that the top BR shooters haven't changed their underwear yet this year they would have us all doing the same. Don't know how it works but if they're doing it I'm doing it. Really???

You do know carbon is the hardest substance on earth right. Lmfao

Not exactly… just because a diamond is carbon does’t make all carbon have the characteristics of a diamond. Carbon isn’t always hard or abrasive… it depends on its form. For example, a form of carbon is what’s in pencils and used in lubricants.

Not exactly… just because a diamond is carbon does’t make all carbon have the characteristics of a diamond. Carbon isn’t always hard or abrasive… it depends on its form. For example, a form of carbon is what’s in pencils and used in lubricants.
That's not quite accurate either. Pencils use graphite, people use graphite as a "lubricant", it isn't a lubricant. It's slippery, compared to what is causing problems, but not a lubricant.

Graphite is an allotrope of carbon, still just carbon with different molecule alignment.

Yes you are. Centerfire rifles do get carbon rings.

I clean my Vudoo after every range shoot. Anywhere between 70 and 200rds. Boretech Rimfire Blend on the patches and a nylon brush in the chamber IF it needs it. I have a borescope so I can check what im doing. I had a carbon ring last week start to form so I got the brush out and got rid of it. I push from chamber to muzzle as I have a boreguide so I dont damage the bore.

I shoot with a few guys who are top RF BR and Prone shooters and this is their method. It works for me.

Think of it this way, shooting PRS22/NRL22 stuff, can you tell/shoot the difference in the different ways of cleaning, etc. I dont think you could stand up and go "I missed that 30yd KYL because I didnt clean my barrel properly"........ we aint trying for BR level of precision.....yet.....

I wasn't trying to imply they didn't. When is the last time you put 200-300-500 rounds though a centerfire in a weekend?

Actually you were when you said they produce enough heat to burn it away.

And the amount of centerfire rounds don’t matter for this discussion but a two day match you could shoot 200-300 pretty easy.

That ok , cause you have zero to offer anyone here anyway. This isn't rocket science guys. We pull our brushes through the barrel. You can choose to believe me or not, that's your choice. I'm just telling you what the best rimfire shooters on the planet do. You guys know everything there is to know so why do I bother? Lmfao ignore list who cares cowpokey? 🤣 I'm here to share what I know and have been through.

Someone needs a borescope.
Since this is a Vudoo thread, I won't mention my action.
My Bartlein barreled rimfire has fired 8000 rounds, Lapua CenterX and SK Rifle match. It's been cleaned twice.
My Method: Boreguide, Dewey coated rod, Dewey bronze brush, Butches Boreshine. Three wet patches, third came out clean, 5 strokes with the brush, 3 wet patches, third came out clean. Couple of dry patches. Hawkeye borescope perfectly clean barrel. No sign of a carbon ring or any other fouling. Nothing extra was done to the chamber. 22 rimfire match chamber reamers barely cut out the the lands. From inspection with a borescope you do not need to "short stroke" your brush, or use a drill, in the chamber.......Dewey recommends using one of their pistol brushes as they push through easier. Might have to try that.
Good Shooting and minimal cleaning:)

Actually you were when you said they produce enough heat to burn it away.

And the amount of centerfire rounds don’t matter for this discussion but a two day match you could shoot 200-300 pretty easy.
you also said when you clean the chamber you aren't getting into the bore...which is highly unlikely. The bore starts immediately at the end of the chamber, which is where the carbon ring forms. Why do you want to argue when you contradict yourself repeatedly?

you also said when you clean the chamber you aren't getting into the bore...which is highly unlikely. The bore starts immediately at the end of the chamber, which is where the carbon ring forms. Why do you want to argue when you contradict yourself repeatedly?

Highly unlikely but true ;) The bore starts at the end of the chamber and if the brush is in the chamber it doesn't hit the bore. Get it? And even if it did slightly touch it's only a small couple 1/2 turns and would not damage anything as it hasn't.

And I am not contradicting myself at all. You are just trying to read that into it.

My best method is the best and highly recommended. I remove barrel, insert in vise. Pull out my 8" long x 2" thick penus. Roll my penus till it comes out tu be .223 Dia by 27" long. Lube penus with vagisil lubricant. Insert elongated penus into barrel, pump barrel with 50 strokes in and out. Pull out penus, clean carbon off penus. Penus takes two days to return to normal size. Go have a beer and potato chip. Done.

My best method is the best and highly recommended. I remove barrel, insert in vise. Pull out my 8" long x 2" thick penus. Roll my penus till it comes out tu be .223 Dia by 27" long. Lube penus with vagisil lubricant. Insert elongated penus into barrel, pump barrel with 50 strokes in and out. Pull out penus, clean carbon off penus. Penus takes two days to return to normal size. Go have a beer and potato chip. Done.

Now that is something to try! LOL

Reactions: CBeck
Actually just saw this video on LRH and thought it was a little interesting and could add to this discussion. Not really a fan of the video maker as we have some history but the content is interesting as to brushes and barrel damage.

Actually just saw this video on LRH and thought it was a little interesting and could add to this discussion. Not really a fan of the video maker as we have some history but the content is interesting as to brushes and barrel damage.

It did make me laugh that the barrel was a high round count 6.5. Almost like it says I’m confident this is going to hurt anything but just in case…..

It did make me laugh that the barrel was a high round count 6.5. Almost like it says I’m confident this is going to hurt anything but just in case…..
Yeah I had that thought too. Do that to a brand new barrel, not 4500rds old or whatever. And how can ya tell anything with all that build up at the throat??

Reactions: BigRon
Yeah I had that thought too. Do that to a brand new barrel, not 4500rds old or whatever. And how can ya tell anything with all that build up at the throat??

I think that is why he did it at the muzzle and not the throat.

Reactions: Quickoz
I skipped around myself. Just wanted to see what was being done and what the end result was.

Reactions: Quickoz