• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo Gun Works V-22 Rimfire Bolt Action

Good thing I didn't guess/hope out loud so as not to spoil the fun, it sounds like you hit everything those "other disciplines" I talked about want... to a tee!

Fixing the angled sear issue will remove all the upward bolt pressure that exerts unequal lug pressure (as also the 3 lug will help).

I'm REALLY interested, as it now sounds like an action will finally be available that addresses ALL the issues everyone obsesses about in BR.....will scores REALLY improve, or is it all just a theoretical head game (which 99% of shooting is)??? LOL!!

Hopefully, all this will force the ammo manufacturers to step up their game, I'd sure like to see an American company make some good ammo.

Do all the new Gen 2 firing controls (including V22 future retrofits) have the "sideways horseshoe" shaped FP indent (I assume that's the new shape), or only the new V-22S?

Yep, good thing.:LOL:

I did the vertical sear a couple years ago and been using a proto trigger that Calvin at Timney whipped up for me and it's been far better than the angled sear face. I have a lot of support from most all the well known trigger manufacturers, so we'll be seeing a shift away from the angled sear in 2020.

I'd love to see the ammo companies step it up a bit. We've maintained an awesome relationship with Lapua and working on a few things since my meeting with the Eley guys a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, I'm not confident the American ammo companies will step it up beyond the plinking grade ammo....

The Gen 2 fire control uses the crescent shaped firing pin tip and will eventually propagate across all rimfire platforms going forward. The development at Vudoo has been pretty awesome and to stop and look back at what just two guys have done (myself and one other Design Engineer we brought on a few months ago) is pretty cool.

MB

15s are coming off the machine....

7-D23-A92-A-4-A9-F-4512-AEA9-7-D69-D7-F2-C1-DA.jpg

4-EE4-BD8-B-4823-49-DB-B2-A1-F005-A6215-D31.jpg

MB

This is a link on RFC if you guys want to keep an eye on it....might be some cool stuff pop up on it.

MB

I know you already have the 17HM2 are you saying the 17HMR is a done deal?

Yessir, the V-22M, "M" is for Magnum, 17HMR/22WMR is done and available to order around SHOT Show timeframe. It's in the new Gen 2 action format with the new fire control, new bolt assembly (disassembles without tools) and our machined billet magazine in five and 10 round capacities.

The V-22S Benchrest action is also done and available in February. Three lug, mid-lock, six o'clock ignition only available for 22LR.

MB

Yessir, the V-22M, "M" is for Magnum, 17HMR/22WMR is done and available to order around SHOT Show timeframe. It's in the new Gen 2 action format with the new fire control, new bolt assembly (disassembles without tools) and our machined billet magazine in five and 10 round capacities.

The V-22S Benchrest action is also done and available in February. Three lug, mid-lock, six o'clock ignition only available for 22LR.

MB

Whats the "S" stand for on the V-22S ?? Six-o'clock???

Are all the bolt going forward going to look like this?
View attachment 7213631

Yes, the V-22M (Gen 2) and V-22S (Gen 3) will look like that. The difference is the presence of a hole in the firing pin where it protrudes through the shroud that serves to accept the take-down pin used to disassemble the bolt. We're shipping Gen 2 fire controls as pictured that lack the take-down hole because they're in bolt assemblies (Gen 1) that lack the bayonet features for disassembly.

The Gen 2 and Gen 3 bolt assemblies have locking lugs on the shroud (in place of the threads) and bolt nose (in place of the pins). The purely cylindrical features on the shroud and bolt nose fit precisely into the bolt body to create superior concentric alignment. For the bolt nose, the very slight fore and aft thrust is eliminated; this thrust being present due to tolerancing for pin to groove fit in the Gen 1 convention of attaching the bolt nose to bolt body.

These features, along with an Anti-Rotation feature (present in both the Gen 2 and Gen 3 receivers) that doesn't allow the bolt nose to turn slightly about its axis while lifting the bolt handle all work in conjunction with the features in the Gen 2 Fire Control. At the same time, the vertical sear in the Vudoo/Flavio trigger used in the V-22S allows the bolt to remain "relaxed" while cocked and the result is a drag free, very efficient and repeatable creation of energy in the fire control. In concert, all this led to lowering the spring rate which, in turn, lowers bolt lift resistance (important in a three lug system) but effectively indents the case rim, time after time.

So, there ya have it....

MB

Last edited:
I'd love to see the ammo companies step it up a bit. We've maintained an awesome relationship with Lapua and working on a few things since my meeting with the Eley guys a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, I'm not confident the American ammo companies will step it up beyond the plinking grade ammo....

^^This^^
Shot new 17M2 side by side with new 22LR at 50 and 100, 10 shot groups and the 17 gave twice the group size. 22 3/8" to 3/4" one hole groups while the 17 (Hornady) would print 3/4 to 1 1/2 groups with 2 to 3 rds. in one hole, 2 to three rounds in another and the rest around those! VERY FRUSTRATING!
Would love to add a 17HMR, but with ammo that shoots like the 17M2 I'd be upset to not obtain what the Rifle platform should deliver

^^This^^
Shot new 17M2 side by side with new 22LR at 50 and 100, 10 shot groups and the 17 gave twice the group size. 22 3/8" to 3/4" one hole groups while the 17 (Hornady) would print 3/4 to 1 1/2 groups with 2 to 3 rds. in one hole, 2 to three rounds in another and the rest around those! VERY FRUSTRATING!
Would love to add a 17HMR, but with ammo that shoots like the 17M2 I'd be upset to not obtain what the Rifle platform should deliver

We're actually seeing really nice groups using Hornady in our 17M2.

MB

You have plunked down your money for a Gen1 action, quality barrel, quality trigger, quality scope, quality stock/chassis, quality bipod, quality bags. Now just upgrade the action to Gen2. Your yearly cost of ammo is $1100, the cost for a case of Lapua Center-X. Say the cost of the Gen 2 action is $1400 but you sell the old for $700 so net is only $700 plus cost of gunsmithing to change the actions. Also if stock is bedded for the Gen 1 action will that bedding work for the Gen 2 action? However, you will need two Vudoos so you can KOS, Keep On Shooting one while the other is undergoing the upgrade.

Happy New Year

^^^Meh..Got that covered..

"We're actually seeing really nice groups using Hornady in our 17M2."
Guess I need more work!

Duc

You have plunked down your money for a Gen1 action, quality barrel, quality trigger, quality scope, quality stock/chassis, quality bipod, quality bags. Now just upgrade the action to Gen2. Your yearly cost of ammo is $1100, the cost for a case of Lapua Center-X. Say the cost of the Gen 2 action is $1400 but you sell the old for $700 so net is only $700 plus cost of gunsmithing to replace the barrels. Also if stock is bedded for the Gen 1 action will that bedding work for the Gen 2 action? However, you will need two Vudoos so you can KOS, Keep On Shooting one while the other is undergoing the upgrade.

Happy New Year

Only ONE case of Center-X ???? For a whole YEAR ???

Reactions: zenbike
Only ONE case of Center-X ???? For a whole YEAR ???
Hellbender:

You are a better man than I, Hellbender. I shoot standing offhand with rifles weighing 12.5 lbs and up. After 50 shots I am not only old but old and tired. Going to the range 5 days a week for a month that means about 1000 shots per month. Not being a real man I only shoot for about six months per year so you are correct, I need a case plus two bricks.

However, that only strengthens my scenario. The more ammo you shoot the less percentage increase in total cost for the yearly action upgrade.

And I do not do competitions. Only against perfection, 250-25X.

Well, no, he's not right and yes, he's right. Now, if I were to stop right there you'd likely say out loud at your monitor, "what the hell are you trying to say?" First, we have quite a few guys dominating in "F" Class and some Bench Rest with the very same rifles everyone is getting from us. In fact, there's one BR guy that's used his Vudoo numerous times in BR and prefers it over his 2500X BR build. However, at a certain level of competition, this no longer holds true as it becomes a very gear dominate game such as stock design, rests, etc.

So, the way to dominate at those levels is to do a specific BR build with the Vudoo V-22S Single Shot BR Action. This is a three lug, six o'clock ignition with the all new Gen 2 Fire Control system that includes the Vudoo/Flavio Trigger made in Italy. The trigger is a direct collab between Flavio and Fabio Fare and I. It's adjustable from .7 to 2.9 oz and simply blows other Rem700 style BR triggers out of the water. The action will be available in February in traditional right and left hand configurations along with RB/LP and LB/RP. I'm currently playing with various barrels and a few other things unique to Vudoo.

So, in a pretty short period of time, the answer to your question about whether he's right or not is a definitive, "No!"

MB

Gotta start saving my lunch money up

Well, no, he's not right and yes, he's right. Now, if I were to stop right there you'd likely say out loud at your monitor, "what the hell are you trying to say?" First, we have quite a few guys dominating in "F" Class and some Bench Rest with the very same rifles everyone is getting from us. In fact, there's one BR guy that's used his Vudoo numerous times in BR and prefers it over his 2500X BR build. However, at a certain level of competition, this no longer holds true as it becomes a very gear dominate game such as stock design, rests, etc.

So, the way to dominate at those levels is to do a specific BR build with the Vudoo V-22S Single Shot BR Action. This is a three lug, six o'clock ignition with the all new Gen 2 Fire Control system that includes the Vudoo/Flavio Trigger made in Italy. The trigger is a direct collab between Flavio and Fabio Fare and I. It's adjustable from .7 to 2.9 oz and simply blows other Rem700 style BR triggers out of the water. The action will be available in February in traditional right and left hand configurations along with RB/LP and LB/RP. I'm currently playing with various barrels and a few other things unique to Vudoo.

So, in a pretty short period of time, the answer to your question about whether he's right or not is a definitive, "No!"

MB

Forgive my ignorance in asking Mike but would this new Vudoo/Flavio trigger ever be possible in a bolt action repeater? I am generally following what you are describing but cannot visualize it. BTW Happy New Years (and from the sounds of it, sounds like a well-deserved, good year for Vudoo)

Hellbender:

You are a better man than I, Hellbender. I shoot standing offhand with rifles weighing 12.5 lbs and up. After 50 shots I am not only old but old and tired. Going to the range 5 days a week for a month that means about 1000 shots per month. Not being a real man I only shoot for about six months per year so you are correct, I need a case plus two bricks.

However, that only strengthens my scenario. The more ammo you shoot the less percentage increase in total cost for the yearly action upgrade.

And I do not do competitions. Only against perfection, 250-25X.

Rick137....If you shoot that much offhand I doubt if I am one third the man you are at your game...LOL!

What MOA do you strive for in the game you play?

At my backyard range I have a 5" round plate at 200 yards (2.5 MOA) I can usually go 3 out of 5 shots standing offhand with my 11 lb. V22. Wind permitting, of course....but I can't imagine putting 50 rounds at one session, I'm worn out after 5 (I too am old)!

When I shot the PRS series heavily, I had a 40X I converted to a repeater (to mimic my match rifle) and shot 100 rounds a day, 5-6 days a week..... it was a job. But it allowed me to place 8th in the 2012 PRS Finale (I was 52 at the time). I think the .22 practice was more important than the centerfire, as the only difference was a little math (and a lot less barrels and reloading time).

Have a good New Year!

Last edited:
Forgive my ignorance in asking Mike but would this new Vudoo/Flavio trigger ever be possible in a bolt action repeater? I am generally following what you are describing but cannot visualize it. BTW Happy New Years (and from the sounds of it, sounds like a well-deserved, good year for Vudoo)

Yes, it'll work in the Gen 1 22LR with the Gen 2 Fire Control as long as the cocking piece is the Gen 2 cocking piece. Of course, being mindful that the Vudoo/Flavio trigger has no safety as it's intended for Benchrest use.

MB

Reactions: 10ring1 and bjay
Question for those that have a Grayboe Renagade stock. I am curious if yours came with the factory shims to increase LOP? I see they are "accessories" but can't see anywhere to order them? I am obviously missing something but looked on the Grayboe website and other dealers but came up dry. Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers!

Mine came with 4 shims and 3 sets of different length bolts
Question for those that have a Grayboe Renagade stock. I am curious if yours came with the factory shims to increase LOP? I see they are "accessories" but can't see anywhere to order them? I am obviously missing something but looked on the Grayboe website and other dealers but came up dry. Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers!
I also have 2 Grayboe Ridgeback stocks and I love them both. One for my Bergara 6.5 and one for my Vudoo V-22

Was watching the trees through the windows today waiting for a bit of lull in the wind and was finally rewarded for patience. Kestrel said 4-6, couldn’t help but break open a box of Center-x. Still leaning how to accurately use BallisticX, but these seemed close enough to caliper.

E1146BDD-A82F-47F6-AE3D-875D480F82A0.png

Then moved on to some plinking, nothing was safe. Shooting the tops off empty shotgun shells 75-100 seemed routine.

One thing I’m quickly learning about this Vudoo, the gun is no longer the limiting factor in any shot. This gun may be the absolute best thing I’ve ever purchased to improve my skills with a rifle. Next step, time to cut the cord with the bench and start learning more about positional shooting.

Was watching the trees through the windows today waiting for a bit of lull in the wind and was finally rewarded for patience. Kestrel said 4-6, couldn’t help but break open a box of Center-x. Still leaning how to accurately use BallisticX, but these seemed close enough to caliper.

E1146BDD-A82F-47F6-AE3D-875D480F82A0.png

Then moved on to some plinking, nothing was safe. Shooting the tops off empty shotgun shells 75-100 seemed routine.

One thing I’m quickly learning about this Vudoo, the gun is no longer the limiting factor in any shot. This gun may be the absolute best thing I’ve ever purchased to improve my skills with a rifle. Next step, time to cut the cord with the bench and start learning more about positional shooting.

Very solid shooting JC....

MB

Any one using a Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25 or 7-35 on their V22? Particularly interested in knowing if the parallax adjustment made you want more for 25ish yds shots to the point that you wish you bought a different scope. I know Leupold listed the parallax goes to 75 yds on the low end. I am seeing reports from a few people that were saying parallax could be set for significantly closer distances. I am looking at putting a Mark 5 on a V22 to use as a trainer for a future hunting rifle build with a scope from the same family.

Any one using a Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25 or 7-35 on their V22? Particularly interested in knowing if the parallax adjustment made you want more for 25ish yds shots to the point that you wish you bought a different scope. I know Leupold listed the parallax goes to 75 yds on the low end. I am seeing reports from a few people that were saying parallax could be set for significantly closer distances. I am looking at putting a Mark 5 on a V22 to use as a trainer for a future hunting rifle build with a scope from the same family.

I looked a scopes long and hard and I chose the NX8 because of its ability to focus or set parallax at close distances, I had other scopes that had advertised 50 parallax settings and it was so bad you couldn’t see the reticle at just under 50 yards (zeiss)
I have the High power NX8 and it’s perfect for the rimfire game.

I’m not really an expert. I’ve shot a little from a tripod and found that it’s more stable than completely unsupported, but quite a bit less than off a bipod. It can be tricky to position the rifle perfectly, even with a solid ballhead. Part of the problem I think is that a ballhead is the wrong device—photographers using supertelephoto lenses will generally use a gimbal head that keeps the axes of rotation above the center of mass. A rifle is even heavier and would benefit more from something like that.
I've been using Jobu MK IV gimbal heads for my cameras with 600mm tele lenses up to 25 lbs. for years for birds and planes in flight, I've been wondering for quite a while if anyone has actually used them for their rifles. The Mk IV, as all the other Jobu gimbals are ARCA rail system. If anyone has used them I'd be interested in hearing about the results and possibly some pictures.

I looked a scopes long and hard and I chose the NX8 because of its ability to focus or set parallax at close distances, I had other scopes that had advertised 50 parallax settings and it was so bad you couldn’t see the reticle at just under 50 yards (zeiss)
I have the High power NX8 and it’s perfect for the rimfire game.
which one are u using? 2.5-20x50?

I have the Mk5 5-25 and it doesn't parallax below 75. We spoke to Leupold when these scopes came out about optics that parallax closer and they committed to working on it, but haven't seen anything from them yet.

MB

Thank you for the responses! Rather unfortunate as I like the Leupold scopes I have. Looks like I'm back to looking at the NX8 again (which is where I started, but read the Mark 5s did significantly better at dusk/dawn with light transmission).

If in that price range then look at the Vortex AMG also. 25 yard parallax, 28.5 ounces and a good power range and reticle. Worth a look.

I bought a cronus here in the classifieds about 2 months ago for 1050. I love this scope it is perfect for everything I want in a scope and the reticles are great. Parallex goes to 25 and i have used it to shoot 1/4" kyl at 25 and was crystal clear. I am saving to buy another one.

FWIW, as it pertains to scopes and the Vudoo V22, this is what I got from Leupold a few weeks ago:

Listed below will be the minimum parallax settings on our rifle scopes. Please feel free to email me back with anymore questions.

• Fixed parallax: 150 yards
  • Fixed Rimfire scope: 60 Yards
  • EFR scopes: 10 Meters
  • Side focus VX-3i, VX-3i LRP, VX-Freedom: 75 Yards
  • AO (adjustable objective): 50 Yards
  • VX-6HD, VX-5HD: 50 Yards
  • Competition 45x45: 10 yards

FWIW, as it pertains to scopes and the Vudoo V22, this is what I got from Leupold a few weeks ago:

Listed below will be the minimum parallax settings on our rifle scopes. Please feel free to email me back with anymore questions.

• Fixed parallax: 150 yards
  • Fixed Rimfire scope: 60 Yards
  • EFR scopes: 10 Meters
  • Side focus VX-3i, VX-3i LRP, VX-Freedom: 75 Yards
  • AO (adjustable objective): 50 Yards
  • VX-6HD, VX-5HD: 50 Yards
  • Competition 45x45: 10 yards

Yep, lines up with our discussion with them. There are premium optics out there that will parallax around 10 yards and commonly used in rimfire, so Leupold should be quite motivated to figure it out....

MB

Thank you for the responses! Rather unfortunate as I like the Leupold scopes I have. Looks like I'm back to looking at the NX8 again (which is where I started, but read the Mark 5s did significantly better at dusk/dawn with light transmission).
I like my nx8, i think its 4x32. I think i would like a floating dot with holdover lines even better for target shooting.

The Nightforce ATACR 7-35 has parallax down to 10 yards. It’s like it was designed for the V-22.

The Nightforce ATACR 7-35 has parallax down to 10 yards. It’s like it was designed for the V-22.
i've got one of those and the vudoo arrives tomorrow so guess i'll give it a try. Have a Cronus BTR on my other 22 and love it. Guess i'll get a comparison between the two

Reactions: littlepod
I've had early, pre-BTR Athlon Cronus scopes on both the Jelrod-converted 40X/XB rifles, and liked them fine, so went with Cronus BTRs on my two competition V22s. Once I got used to the thinner reticles - particularly the thinner + aiming point while shooting movers - I've been very pleased with both these scopes. They track perfectly, and the optical quality is very good. I have a minor issue with how stiff the parallax knob is, especially in cool weather. This wouldn't be an issue at all if these scopes had the depth of field my Kahles K624i scopes do, but the Cronus are pretty dependent on correct parallax settings, which slows me down a bit when shooting a stage with targets at a wide range of distances. Still, in this price range, I doubt you'll find a better scope. I'd like to play with one of the newer Kahles K525i scopes, since they'll focus down quite a bit closer than my 624s will. Since the K525i has a much shorter body than the K624i, I'm not sure that it has the same depth of field that the 624s enjoy. But given how well the Cronus scopes have worked for me, and the fact that I can buy two Cronus scopes for the price of one K525i.....I'm not at all sure that the price difference is worth it.