• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo Gun Works V-22 Rimfire Bolt Action

Well, my wait is finally over. Managed to get it all put together and run about 50 rounds down range. Wow, this bolt is so buttery smooth and loads each round without issue. I'll post some groups later on as tonight it was mostly testing things out, getting it zeroed, etc. I will say that my 50 yard groups were 1/4" or so however, so pretty ridiculous.

What's interesting for me its that I'm a major fan of 22LR and I have several very nice builds, but this is the first one where I feel it is indistiguishable from a real PRS rifle. It just feels that good and operates so similarly.

Specs in case it is useful to anyone building one of their own
- Vudoo 18"
- 30 MOA rail
- Cadex Competition chassis in SSV
- Spuhr 4006 1.26" high 0 MOA
- LRA Send-it electronic level
- Nightforce ATACR 7-35 F1 with 10m parallax (last part is critical for 22LR)
- Timney 510 trigger
- Special thanks to Zach at Trigger Time Gun Club in Longmont Co

i-bKTxkp9-X2.jpg

i-LCpR9Sn-X2.jpg

i-3WDVgMq-X2.jpg

i-LkS9qRH-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Got out to the range today and went through a couple of boxes of SK Rifle Match and Lapua Midas +

Below is SK Rifle Match. 5 shots per grid, 50 yds on 1/4" grids (so I don't have to show you a dime or nickel in the pics ;))

Overall I think this is a great, reasonably priced ammo that will be perfect for various drills and ringing steel. What I saw is typical of what I get out of my other high-end 22LRs. Good grouping with the occasional, unexplained flyer. The flyers are not horrible, but they knock you out of getting those crazy tight groups. That said, overall I'm very impressed with the Vudoo in that consistency is on par with my custom benchrest.

i-LH3whw3-L.jpg

Next up is Lapua Midas + which is my go-to ammo for accuracy. Same setup as SK and damn this stuff does not disappoint. Considering I'm just getting used to this rifle and getting a feel for cheek position, trigger, etc. it shot lights out. The lower right grid is on par with the best, single-load, benchrest rig I own. Remember, those grids are 1/4" !!! The other three are nearly as good too. I shot a couple more sheets with equal results. I was unable to reproduce that sick one-hole group, but the rest were on par with the other three shown. I think I will be buying a case of this lot next month when my credit card cools off.

i-d7XD2Vg-L.jpg

To finish up the day I decided to test my calculated 100yd dope. I've not chroned anything yet, so I just estimated my range and took 5 shots of each box I brought. I was a little tired after a lot of shots, but damn I'm impressed, even with the SK. I have a lot of nice 22LR rifles but this is the first repeater to match what I get out of my BR setup. It's actually more enjoyable to shoot too :D

i-m96Cs9G-L.jpg

Last edited:
Finally the wait is over and it has arrived. Just waiting for the scope on order, threw a SWFA 3-15FFP on it for now. Too windy to sight in today.

This is one of the Grayboe Renegade stocks with the Vudoo bottom metal. One Item that is driving me nuts and I will IMMEDIATELY pay for as an upgrade is an extended magazine release. The release button is on the front inside of the trigger guard, I'm used to all my chassis having an extended lever below the trigger guard and wrapping my hand around both the mag and release at the same time to pull it out in one motion. Cant do that with this set-up, but good news is it looks like an extended release is feasible.

Reactions: deltawiskey
Finally the wait is over and it has arrived. Just waiting for the scope on order, threw a SWFA 3-15FFP on it for now. Too windy to sight in today.

This is one of the Grayboe Renegade stocks with the Vudoo bottom metal. One Item that is driving me nuts and I will IMMEDIATELY pay for as an upgrade is an extended magazine release. The release button is on the front inside of the trigger guard, I'm used to all my chassis having an extended lever below the trigger guard and wrapping my hand around both the mag and release at the same time to pull it out in one motion. Cant do that with this set-up, but good news is it looks like an extended release is feasible.

I'm running that exact same set-up! I had to put on an adjustable cheek rest and LOP...the SWFA is working great for me : )
DW

Yours is similar to mine, except I've got a Masterpiece Arms Chassis, but I've got the 18" barrel and the NF 7-35 Scope.
I still need to get a decent bipod, the model I currently have does not want to cooperate so I'm saving my dimes and nickels for a Evolution.
I'm very new to the shooting sports world but I'm really looking forward to getting up to speed over the next several months.
I'm the 'weak-link' in my effort to learn about everything, but learning all the in's and out's is part of the fun while enjoying being outside with some new friendships that come with this 'adventure'.
Thanks for sharing and I hope you have as much fun with yours as I've had with mine.

How do you like your LRA Electronic Level so far?

I love it! I have it on all my rifles where cant matters. What I like about it is I can see it without actually looking at it, if that makes sense. I just pickup the indicator lights in my peripheral vision.

If anyone is on the fence about the Vudoo rimfires, its time to jump. Paul is an awesome guy and will go the extra mile to make sure you are satisfied with every aspect being a Vudoo owner. The rifle itself is a work of art and shoots little bitty knots with proper ammo. By far my favorite rifle to shoot right now.

Thanks Paul

Eddie

Last edited:
Hadn't shot my V-22 at 50yds since bedding it, so did some of that yesterday. Was a little breezy, with some stronger gusts occasionally coming through, but not too bad. Shot 10rd strings of both SK Rifle Match & Pistol Match on reduced silhouette target. Pig on left was with action screws torqued 40/35 in/lbs; loosened them, then tightened to 50/45 in/lbs, then shot pig on right w/RM. Turkey was shot with SK Pistol Match. View attachment 6879747View attachment 6879748

Hey Flatlander, have you tried even more torque values? I was told by Vudoo that 60 in-lbs front and 55 back works well. I wonder if that depends on what stock/chassis you're using? Looks like 50/45 works well for you.

If anyone is on the fence about the Vudoo rimfires, its time to jump. Paul is an awesome guy and will go the extra mile to make sure you are satisfied with every aspect being a Vudoo owner. The rifle itself is a work of art and shoots little bitty knots with proper ammo. By far my favorite rifle to shoot right now.
Eddie

+1 and you'll have a serious rifle to boot!

Well, my wait is finally over. Managed to get it all put together and run about 50 rounds down range. Wow, this bolt is so buttery smooth and loads each round without issue. I'll post some groups later on as tonight it was mostly testing things out, getting it zeroed, etc. I will say that my 50 yard groups were 1/4" or so however, so pretty ridiculous.

What's interesting for me its that I'm a major fan of 22LR and I have several very nice builds, but this is the first one where I feel it is indistiguishable from a real PRS rifle. It just feels that good and operates so similarly.

Specs in case it is useful to anyone building one of their own
- Vudoo 18"
- 30 MOA rail
- Cadex Competition chassis in SSV
- Spuhr 4006 1.26" high 0 MOA
- LRA Send-it electronic level
- Nightforce ATACR 7-35 F1 with 10m parallax (last part is critical for 22LR)
- Timney 510 trigger
- Special thanks to Zach at Trigger Time Gun Club in Longmont Co

i-bKTxkp9-X2.jpg

i-LCpR9Sn-X2.jpg

i-3WDVgMq-X2.jpg

i-LkS9qRH-XL.jpg
Send me these please! [email protected]! sweet pics

Reactions: branson1369
fret - Nope, I haven't tried going with any higher torque values on the action screws. Might consider it - about the easiest thing to change, so little reason not to experiment further. Need to do the same with my 40XB jelrod converted repeater - it's in a Manners T4A w/mini chassis.

You guys see they are taking orders on the lefties!!!

Athlon cronos has nice glass and the 2nd gen reticle I like a lot better with even hashes instead of the alternating hashes (MILS) that were in the first gen.

Last edited:
Reactions: deltawiskey
What brake is that
Custom made by me, basically an aluminum 2xxx series 1/2-28 copy of the VAIS design (expired 80's era patent). I made a dozen of em for fancy thread protectors as a .22 really doesnt generate enough gas product for effective use, might get a slight recoil reduction but I don't notice a difference with it on or off. Didn't feel like paying Kidd or Volquartsen prices for a easy project I enjoyed making.

Last edited:
Keep having the terrible thought of selling my two rifles and buy one of these. Still haven't fired a shot through my new sako either.........not sure the wife would approve

A lot of nice Vudoo's our there. Keep up the great work. I am beyond loving mine

Awesome looking rifle!!! You know that will turn heads coming out of the case and again when comparing group sizes!! I can't wait till mine is complete in a few more weeks. I'm struggling with glass choice as well. I keep looking and looking, just can't decide what is the best fit for this rifle. I wish they made a specific optic series for rimfire with high magnification and a parallax range of 25yds. I'm leaning towards Athlon but not committed yet.

Awesome looking rifle!!! You know that will turn heads coming out of the case and again when comparing group sizes!! I can't wait till mine is complete in a few more weeks. I'm struggling with glass choice as well. I keep looking and looking, just can't decide what is the best fit for this rifle. I wish they made a specific optic series for rimfire with high magnification and a parallax range of 25yds. I'm leaning towards Athlon but not committed yet.

Athlon is a great choice and many here can confirm that. It all depends on your budget I suppose. Mile High has S&B PMII which have 10m parallax for 2.3k, which is a great price if you want to go over the top on your build.

Custom made by me, basically an aluminum 2xxx series 1/2-28 copy of the VAIS design (expired 80's era patent). I made a dozen of em for fancy thread protectors as a .22 really doesnt generate enough gas product for effective use, might get a slight recoil reduction but I don't notice a difference with it on or off. Didn't feel like paying Kidd or Volquartsen prices for a easy project I enjoyed making.
Can i buy one of those brake in .90 bare metal no coat :)

More Vudoo stats, bare rifle weight with 18" Kukri heavy contour, mag and grayboe renegade stock is 10lb 9oz

Fully kitted out with harris bipod, scope, mag, sparrow suppressor and RLA level weight is 14lb 3oz

My only seriously minor gripes so far are the mag release location and the buttpad looks to be glued on. I'd like to stick a spacer or two in for a little more LOP but it works as is

Can i buy one of those brake in .90 bare metal no coat :)

lol, What are you a precognitive psychic or something? I've got a leftover in raw machine state. 5 rows of ports, all threaded for set screw install to play with gas porting
1UXYiLu.jpg

More Vudoo stats, bare rifle weight with 18" Kukri heavy contour, mag and grayboe renegade stock is 10lb 9oz

Fully kitted out with harris bipod, scope, mag, sparrow suppressor and RLA level weight is 14lb 3oz

My only seriously minor gripes so far are the mag release location and the buttpad looks to be glued on. I'd like to stick a spacer or two in for a little more LOP but it works as is

The buttpads are glued on, I found the LOP to be too short also!
DW

Would the Proof Carbon barrels in .22 work on a Vudoo action? Seems like it would but before spending that kind of money, I should ask!

I bought Athlon Cronus (originals, not the newer BTR model) for my 40X & XB jelrod-converted repeaters, and love them. Was never a question which scope I'd go with when I finished building the V-22. I bought a couple of the new BTR versions to display on my tables at our club's annual gun show in Feb, but didn't sell either one - keep thinking about trying one of them on the V-22, but need to sell the original Cronus that's on it first. I know the Cronus is more than tough enough to stand up to the vicious recoil of std vel match grade 22LR in a 14lb rifle, so doubt any of the three I have are at risk from being damaged by recoil. Would sell the one off the V-22 for $1k w/Seekins/Vortex low (.92") rings - PM me if interested.

I'm looking through web sites and came across Athlon's new New! Athlon Optics Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 Color: Tan Reticle: APRS1 FFP IR MIL. Makes me drool, still too new to find any reviews. I'm hoping the turrets are improved over earlier models. But unless I hear negative review and nothing else pops up I'll be ordering one when I get the call my rifle is shipping. I like the MIL over MOA version as MIL has floating dot at apex of crosshairs vs the thicker duplex of MOA. Any thoughts on that or the scope?

I'm looking through web sites and came across Athlon's new New! Athlon Optics Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 Color: Tan Reticle: APRS1 FFP IR MIL. Makes me drool, still too new to find any reviews. I'm hoping the turrets are improved over earlier models. But unless I hear negative review and nothing else pops up I'll be ordering one when I get the call my rifle is shipping. I like the MIL over MOA version as MIL has floating dot at apex of crosshairs vs the thicker duplex of MOA. Any thoughts on that or the scope?

The factory making this new scope bought a super expensive and precise multi axis CNC machine just to make it so it should be incredible! Closed door, I got to fiddle with a one off test model (not the ETR) made from the new machine which had amazing control feel, etc.

The preproduction ETR's at Shot had better turrets than the Ares BTR and I expect more quality overall and throughout.

Last I heard from Athlon, they weren't expecting to have any of the ETRs until July - have a couple pre-ordered, and am very much looking forward to seeing them.

I saw OpticsPlanet had them but they were listed as 2-4 months out so July sounds a bout right. Might Pre order this weekend as I'm getting itchy for one. I'm hoping their FDE will color match my cerokote and stock for color.

I saw OpticsPlanet had them but they were listed as 2-4 months out so July sounds a bout right. Might Pre order this weekend as I'm getting itchy for one. I'm hoping their FDE will color match my cerokote and stock for color.

These guys are gonna kill the NRL22 and similar setups if other manufacturers don't get on the ball. For the price, and what you get, these are hard to beat.

If you watch Youtube comparisons of Athlon to Vortex same class of scopes, the Athlon has clearer glass but the Vortex has better turret controls and reticle designs. Vortex is a good scope, but many will tell you dollar for dollar they don't have the best glass optically compared to others. They are better than many in scope design and function. If you are dialing your scope often, mushy turrets are going to get old fast before you get tired of less than perfect glass. I think they choose their consumer base and decided to put the money on function first, which has paid off huge for them. I don't feel Athlon is directly trying to compete head to head with Nightforce/S&B/March etc. I do see them competing for Nikon/Vortex/Leupold market share. They may have a few high end models that can compete with the big boys but in personal opinion if I'm dropping north of $2k on an optic I'm looking at Nightforce/S&B/March.

If you watch Youtube comparisons of Athlon to Vortex same class of scopes, the Athlon has clearer glass but the Vortex has better turret controls and reticle designs. Vortex is a good scope, but many will tell you dollar for dollar they don't have the best glass optically compared to others. They are better than many in scope design and function. If you are dialing your scope often, mushy turrets are going to get old fast before you get tired of less than perfect glass. I think they choose their consumer base and decided to put the money on function first, which has paid off huge for them. I don't feel Athlon is directly trying to compete head to head with Nightforce/S&B/March etc. I do see them competing for Nikon/Vortex/Leupold market share. They may have a few high end models that can compete with the big boys but in personal opinion if I'm dropping north of $2k on an optic I'm looking at Nightforce/S&B/March.

Just commenting on that, the thing is, is that every brand of scope has things about them which one might personally dislike. I call it the "no perfect scope" thing.

I've owned 5 NXS, 3 S&B and 2 March. ^^^^ certainly applies with all of them. After owning my Cronus BTR, there's no way in the world I'd pay what I paid for any of those other scopes! That being said, there are certainly some things which I really like about S&B and March, March FX- 40x on top and 10Y close focus are awesome features!

S&B, it's an S&B, they're wonderful, I just can't justify $3000+ scopes anymore as much as I love them. Oh, my 3-20 was sent in for repair last Friday. It actually started going funky during a match but held up just enough for me to finish, and win.

I think price drives peoples scope buying decisions the most. the Talos, Argos, Midas, most shooters don't want to spend more money on a scope so this is a niche that these scopes excel in because of their combined tactical oriented features. Most of my friends are this way, they will not even consider spending the money I have on scopes, they laugh at me, lol.

I really like the PST2, I'd buy one but I'm picky about reticles, I hate numbers off to the side of the vertical so that leaves me to the Ares 4.5-27, which I'm fine with.

Last edited:
i ordered in mid december, but in late january i called to put the order on hold. 3 weeks ago i called to make the final payment and to put me back on the list. unfortunately i am not a real good baseline of the time frame.

My Vudoo... since pic was taken I’ve switched to a NF ATACR. Also running the MPA RAT ARCA Swiss rail adapter for the bipod. Great rifle. I’m running Lapua CenterX. The chambers are cut for this bullet and I found that it shot the best (tested about 10 dif loads). One piece of advice is to not just shoot five shot groups of different ammo when judging accuracy.. You really need to season the bore with at least 15 to 25 shots before you shoot for groups with a particular load. I made this mistake and when I came back and seasoned the bore, the true accuracy of each load showed. Lapua CX also had the lowest SD and ES. 1069fps from my rifle. The ballistic app has been right on out to 354 yards. On a side note Eley 10X was second, but the lube on the Eley is a bee’s wax type consistency and it does not feed nearly as smoothly as Lapua which has a slippery grease type lube.
805D1BA0-20F6-4C75-A059-353C24152148.jpeg68B7E2B0-81D6-4C77-8C3D-0B439B4E3157.jpeg4D3C87C6-57B0-4A81-BD9A-739153F2DB61.jpeg

For those that have the Vudoos in a Grayboe. Do you find a need to bed them?

I asked the bedding question when I placed my lefty sinister order. Because the action and stock are pillared and torqued, and because the recoil of the .22 or is so minor, they haven't found any benefit to bedding. I mean, it couldn't hurt, but it's not needed is what I gathered. I've never handled a grayboe so I'm trusting Vudoo knows its voodoo. Plus, I'll probably find a chassis system eventually anyway with my ADHD.

For those that have the Vudoos in a Grayboe. Do you find a need to bed them?

I have the Ravage which uses the Grayboe Renegade stock. It's not bedded but still pretty accurate. Was testing out SK Pistol Match and Rifle Match at 55 yards with 10 shot groups awhile ago:

Q0J1Ks0.jpg

What does Vudoo use for f/r action screw torque values for the Grayboe stocks?

I was told by the Vudoo people that 60 in-lbs front and 55 in-lbs rear works well on the Ravage but you can try torque up to 65 in-lbs. Under 45 in-lbs doesn't work very well.

Ok, so what am I doing wrong here. Magazines feed all round nose ammo fine, but put in ELEY Edge or RWS R-50 that have less than round noses and I'm having feeding problems----about every 2nd or 3rd round will lock up tight in the mag and not feed. When the bolt is moved forward it will just crash the round into the front edge of the mag instead of feeding into the chamber. This indents the nose pretty good with the seam print of the magazine:

AM I missing some loading technique?

Cen2TNR.jpg

ELEY black round on left has line imprint in center, RWS-50 rounds on right with deep magazine impressions.
Z0eCMNu.jpg

HDp0rRA.jpg