• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

We should buy a Chevy Volt

Re: We should buy a Chevy Volt

Really upset that Chevy is making these cars but I shouldn't be suprised now that its government motors instead of general motors.

The actual best car they could make is the HH0 generator, invented back in 2000's by a guy who wanted a hotter cutting torch.

last reported "HE was in discussions with major auto makers".

The only issue with using that technology is you have to have a garden hose nearby....and we know the oil companies probably do not want you getting free fill ups...

But, when added to his 1990's toyota truck he got 750mpg....beat that.

Remember, the propaganda films (commercials) said it's the car America "Had to build".

I agree we "had to" because it was basically shoved down our throats, not because we wanted it. I contend that the VOLT exists solely because Chevy's lobbyists are good at their jobs, not because it was the correct or necessary response to the economic situation. Kind of like how they reported paying back the bailout, even tough they did it with $$ from a different US Treasury bailout account. It's all bullshit.

PS- the issue with the burning volts isn't that some caught fire in wrecks... it's that they were cars used in NTSB crash testing, and the car still got approved. THAT is why people are angry about it. Some of the cars took several hours to "flame up"- hypothetically it may have been towed away or even driven home and caught fire in a garage or something. IMHO that poses an undue risk to the consumer (and other people/property).

The corruption issue is bad enough, but when the product is total shit it's just salt on the wound.

BTW- if you haven't seen the reports, GM expected to sell at least 10k units in 2011... as of Feb. 2012, they still have not hit that target (since release in fall 2010). 2,300 of those were "demo" cars, so they didn't even make all of that 10k as retail models anyway. Also, 600 of them were sold to fleet customers, but reported as retail sales (just like if you or I bought one), in order to skew sales statistics. Many dealers are now refusing to stock the Volt, and many have sold theirs to dealers in other markets. GM has dealer "allotments", many have chosen not to order most (or any) of what they were alloted.

Today's GM is dishonest beyond all recollection. I used to be a Chevy boy, but I wouldn't touch their shit with a ten foot pole these days. I won't even swap their drivetrains into my jeep projects. I want ZERO to do with them, which saddens me a bit because I was really looking forward to owning a new camaro... but now, no way. Fuck 'em all, cheatin' bastards.

Please don't confuse my disdain for GM with hatred for efficient cars. Eco boxes, including hybrids and EV, have their place in this world. Even in America, they may work good for "some" (ex most VOLT sales were in Washington DC). What I dislike is having my tax dollars subsidize corrupt corporations and the garbage they puke out and insist we all must have it. Last time I checked, I can't haul lumber or dead elk in a Volt. It can't plow snow, pull out stumps, drive through deep mud, or tow anything. Besides, the range of the current EV cars just doesn't work for those of us that live out here in the middle of nothingness.

Not to mention, an EV is great where the grid is efficient and clean (hydro, nuke, etc.) but for most of the USA where the grid is coal-fired, the CO2/pollution produced to make the electricity to charge the EV is greater than if you had just driven the fucker on gas to start with. Then add in the battery mfg like TNT said... plus remember the metals for that Lithium battery were mined (probably in China) by diesel heavy equipment. So the green agenda here is just that, an agenda... not fact.

lastly, they call this thing an EV, but this fucker has a gas engine... I know it's not the same mechanically as previous hybrids, but how is this any different in overall scope? Many of those designs got far better mileage and range than the Volt, and did not depend on the grid. IMHO, it's a solution looking for a problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: luvtolean</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Radioisotopes come out of the ground, and the centrifuge/enrichment process isn't exactly light on energy use either. Breeders can be used to help some. I think it should be intuitive we don't want to encourage dumping radioactive waste in the ocean, especially if the world scales nuke power.

There is no perfect solution. </div></div>

There's already a lot of nuke power in the world - China is going to surpass us in a while when they really start cranking out the AP1000s. Enrichment is expensive, but we don't need to enrich to the really expensive HE levels. There is a lot of LE at high enough enrichment levels already in stockpile for commercial power.

Trust me on the dumping it in the ocean - actually a very good idea. 1. Dilution is the solution to pollution. Do you know how freaking big the ocean is? 2. Spent fuel down in the bottom of the Marianas would actually aid existing thermovores, to the extent that we would be building habitats for the suckers and bolster the deep sea life community. That's greener than green! For evidence of this, just look at what was found when they cracked the dome on Chornobyl. Looks like a fricking jungle in there. 3. It's super cheap, and farther away from everyone than a land burial. Plus, the thousands of feet of water act as the perfect heat sink and radiation shield. Seriously, you'd only need about 20 feet of water for the purpose, so we get a safety factor of 10,000. Consider that you fly in airplanes with safety factors of 1.2.

Then, after you run your household outlets on atom-splitter plants, plug whatever the heck you want into them and run your electric cars. The $/MW is reduced AND there are no atmospheric pollutants. Win/Win.

Instead, we'll fricking dump chemicals into the rivers/oceans making batteries that will require more oil to be burned to charge up that will be installed in cars with less performance and effective mileage/energy than their ICE counterparts. All of this because of the ignorant fools who base decisions on their emotional reactions to propaganda campaigns and on what they want the world to be like. Yeah...I'm sure if you want gravity to not exist hard enough, you can fly...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bdw0469</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The oil companies don't like cars that are efficient. They will do anything to keep better ideas hidden. A good friend of mine designed a fuel injector that required 6 parts and was more efficient. He died in his car when it caught fire while drib=ving down the road. He could not get out of the car. Locks were inop, and door handles inop. If an idea does surface they buy it and hide it or eliminate the guy who had the idea. </div></div>

Time to put the barn boots on.

I realize that the paper doesn't have really anything about thermodynamics in it. It was just a small part of a homework assignment and I thought it was hard to apply anything we have learned yet in class to anything to have to do with the cars other than what I did, so that's what I went for in the paper. When i got to that part of the assignment, I actually wondered why The professor would have decided to assign a paper on that topic. I'm only taking the first thermodynamics class now so we haven't really learned much more than how to use the property tables in the back of the book.

Nick L,
Thermodynamics in a nutshell:

First Law: You can't get something for nothing
Second Law: You can't even break even

Bam, you've graduated.

I joke about how that's all there is to the subject, but in reality, if people would just learn and understand those two points, and APPLY them, we wouldn't have half the crappy ideas burning up public money. They would be left on the drawing board after the lead engineer realizes that he has to multiply when calculating system efficiency and not add. IF elected officials remembered these two principles and heeded them, we wouldn't have laws that demand our GDP be fed into a woodchipper (a.k.a. wind turbine). If people would think for two seconds before they judge what someone just told them, instead of jumping on one bandwagon or another (including mine), then I think we'd have a much less wasteful country.

But...when we are fighting to keep islands from capsizing and depending on the machine to make vegetable trees for us to sell at the farmers market, I guess there really isn't any time for all that common sense stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Volt doesn't depend on the Grid! </div></div>

Not with the gasoline motor, but if you want to use the EV feature then you need to charge... how is that not grid dependent?

My point was that it's a tech that still depends on a point-source of pollution to work, either fossil fuel or electricity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but if you want to use the EV feature then you need to charge... how is that not grid dependent? </div></div>

You could carry a generator in the trunk.