• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Maggie’s Wearing an authentic ACU as a Halloween costume?

GT40MkI

Texas
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2011
West of DFW, Texas
I met up with some friends last night for dinner - and one of them had an authentic name taped full ACU on as a Halloween Costume. In my part of the country there are a few Army bases, and seeing someone in a uniform is a normal(although typically it's with at least 3 or more soldiers).

A young veteran was giving him the eye for a few minutes, walked over and gave him a shove and asked him for his rank, "You have some weird shit going on there, I'm trying to figure out who you are" to which my friend responded "I mean no disrespect, it's a Halloween costume sir." This sent the veteran over the edge, and we did what we could to diffuse and control the situation - he was very apologetic and asked what he could do to make the uniform right , to which he was told "take it off. all of it." with a straight face.

Fortunately we were done with dinner by now, closed out, and able to walk away - with some quick brainstorming he swapped his field coat and tags for a pink polo and became "Don't ask, Don't tell..." to appease the group.

A little more background - Calvin had lost a cousin he had grown up with to Afghanistan (after active duty, as a contractor), and the ACU's were his. The fallen soldier's wife had gifted them to Calvin because of how close they were, and he had worn them during a Halloween party a few years ago with no issues. His wearing it was not an act of disrespect, but he had in no means earned the right. He knew better than to be drinking or acting out, and didn't cross a line. Based on suggestions from some friends in active duty, he swapped the nametapes and patches as to keep from looking authentic, but that seemed to upset this veteran even more.

Thoughts? When, if ever, is it ok for a CIVILIAN to wear an ACU? MARPAT? Surplus clothing is for sale all over the internet and the hide - and most of the time it's soldiers and their families selling from what I've seen.

I have a set or two of ACU's I use for hunting (no insignia or patches needed there) and a set of brand new MARPATs I've yet to use, as no one wants to piss off a Marine
smile.gif

Not sure which forum this belongs in, and for the record I can see and understand both sides, to an extent...

Re: Wearing an authentic ACU as a Halloween costume?

Anytime they want. Civil war and Revolutionary reenactments? These uniforms are Purchased not hand dyed in boot. That's a guy looking for a fight or maybe he is dealing with some PTSD. As a fireman, I make my next comment. 343 firefighters died in one fell swoop. Did we stop going to Halloween parties as firemen? I believe that brave men should be looked at with all the honor they deserve. However, I am sure Steven Seagal(?) could rock MARPAT and the guy would love that. I would bet my sack he is full of contradictions. I love how Clint Eastwood or the Duke pretending to be XYZ but fack Joe Blow. He can't pretend. Just my .02

I for one do not like the fact that my former profession is a grown mans holloween costume. OK for a child who wants to be a soilder not ok for adult to make fun of (typicaly what halloween costumes do). I never like seeing civilians in any type of military uniform ever thats why there is hunting camo. Just my opinion. And for the record I will never again were the uniform even as a veteran.

It's a uniform, one that has and will change many times. It accords no more respect than a Subway uniform. It is the soldier who deserves respect. Unless your friend is trying to pass himself off as a soldier who deserves respect, I see nothing wrong with wearing the uniform.

When is it OK for a civilian to wear our BDUs? Anytime they want.

When is it OK for a civilian to wear a set of Marine Corps Dress Blues (or other service's equivalent)? NEVER!

The military cultivates an attitude that leaves some people feeling compelled to correct very minor issues even with people they don't know who they run into when not on duty and not in uniform.

I think that kind of attitude is obnoxious. It sounds like your friend was the victim of an overzealous guy who couldn't remember it is pretty much Halloween... and Costumes are good to go-

I don't think it's disrespect- on the contrary the guys that go to halloween parties as soldiers probably either are, or look up to them.

depends on how the person acts while in it.. i wouldnt like it but, i wouldnt go pick a fight if it was just a costume attempt.. now i they started acting like those church knuckle heads going on about death to soldier, then ya get the ass whopping..

I personally don't like it when civilians wear military uniforms. If it's an outdated uniform or a modified to the point it doesn't look like the service uniform then okay but please don't try to imitate a soldier. You will just end up looking like a jack ass and pissing a service member off without even knowing it. That's my personal opinion.

Whatever

It is only a problem IF the person wearing the uniform is impersonating a soldier. If he is not trying to act in an official capacity or make people believe he is a soldier then there is no problem. Even Marine Corps blues or Army dress mess is fair for a costume.
The ACU looks like shit anyway and I wonder who would get upset to see someone wearing it.
I would have told the young vet to drink a beer and chill.
OTH if the guy in the costume was doing the "there I was...." and pretending to be a vet or active duty then any one of us civilian or vet alike should kick his ass.

Let's just get rid of Halloween. I am sure there is a zombie somewhere pissed off that someone dressed up like him on Halloween. What about doctors? 8 years of college, 10 years of shitty pay and then it starts getting ok. No one should dress up like a doctor. Treat it like all jobs as a profession, because that is what it is. The only people who might have a gripe are draftee's. Need a warm fuzzy feeling, join the peace Corp. All the military guys I know including family could give a hoot less what anyone does. If you can't have fun on Halloween you might want to reassess what's going on in life. Heck, make a YouTube video out of it. Let's remember that this is just a form of PC bullshot and the sand of a thousand deserts do not need to be lodged in a mangina.

Sorry,
It's never right to wear a complete uniform unless it is earned. I am out and would have an issue wearing my old uniform. Call it a pet-peeve, but I don't think it's correct.

Now kudos to your friend for being respectful, and that goes to his character, but not to wear a full uniform. By doing so I "feel" like you're saying "I'm in the ______, can you tell by my uniform?"

Just my $.02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: guntard007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When is it OK for a civilian to wear our BDUs? Anytime they want.

When is it OK for a civilian to wear a set of Marine Corps Dress Blues (or other service's equivalent)? NEVER! </div></div>

^^^I agree 1000% with this statement. I still have dress, and woodland camo from my days, and I can't remember the last time I put any of it on. Shitty for hunting now, shitty for hunting then. BDU= whatever. Anybody can buy them anywhere, and all of the mall ninjas have more gear than I ever did. Dress uniforms are a different animal. I believe there is a line there that should not be crossed, and innocent intentions fall into the grey area. Besides, the individual who <span style="text-decoration: underline">earned</span> the respect should be cared about, not the clothes. Also, more times than not it is easy as hell to tell the difference within a few sentences of a conversation. Not worth the time unless there is a real issue to be concerned with.

I'll give em a full set of service ready BDU's, two days more and I cant wear em anyway... RIP my friends, you smelled like starch and glowed in the dark, but you were the first thing issued to me and the first thing that made me feel a part of the team... fair well.

To the topic... it stings a little that it was worn as a "Halloween costume" before Halloween in a public setting. Just SEEMS like someone being a goof and having a bad excuse. But normally, it doesn't bother me. You can usually tell service members from civilians anyway, they're usually the almost broke ones trying to buy the tables meals anyway
smile.gif

Isn't it illegal to wear a uniform with name and rank on it??
Felony impersonation of government officer or something to that effect...
An official legit uniform can get you access to places you aren't legally allowed to access, therefore measures have to be taken to let it be known it is a costume/fake/out of use... and that you are indeed not an officer.
I thought this was explained to me once by a gentleman in the air force, but, I could be wrong, have been before.
So, with name, any rank marks, medals etc taken off, perhaps it is ok, I don't really know, it is not a place I wish to go, as a person never in the military, it would be bad form for me to assume I had any f'in clue as to what it takes to earn and wear that uniform, isn't my place to pretend as if I do.
Let your girl impersonate the military in her camo bikini top and short skirt, it's cute, wearing a departed soldiers uniform, not so much.

What this needs is regulations and rules. MORE GOVERNMENT please. You guys might not live in a nanny state but it sucks. It's cloth. Any person knows it's the (wo)man not the uniform. I believe intent would be necessary for impersonation and criminal impersonation. It's Halloween or the days prior too. For most adults, Friday and saturday Halloween would be celebrated. I don't celebrate my Christmas' on 12/25 because most times I am away from my friends and family. So if I show up dressed like st nick on 12/28 am I an imposter? I do not believe any service gives the right to clothing but a right to a title of Veteran, Marine, etc.

I think calling4life is correct about the legality but I have not verified that.
I personally have no problem with Civilians or Prior Service wearing BDU's but if you have not served you better wear them without name and rank. I wear my MARPAT woodland digital BDUs exclusively for hunting, cutting trees, digging ditches, or whatever may come up. But, I have removed the name tapes from them because I am no longer in the service.

I am not in the military, nor have I ever been. Not due to choice, but to certain physical disability that kept me from enlisting. Even after trying...

However, I would never fathom wearing a military uniform. It just doesn't seem right to me regardless if it's Halloween or not..

Respect and Halloween costumes don't go together.

The young veteran was completely in the right.

And your buddy's a complete dipshit.

As far as legality goes:

Sodomy is illegal still in some states. If you live in a state where it is illegal, give up BJ's. That being said, could you be prosecuted for uniform. Most states yes but intent (mens rea) would be a factor. Sodomy had no intent in those places. Out right illegal. Is every BJ prosecuted? Doh, NO. Would they be prosecuted for uniform. Probably not.

There is an exception in UScode 702that allows the use of uniform for theatrical production. Could Halloween be theatrical? Supreme court ruled not to limit it to specific productions. As long as it does not discredit the service. Was paraphrased from military.com

Regarding whether or not he was impersonating a soldier, veterans and those affiliated with the military may spot an impersonator, but your average joe may not be able to tell the difference.

But because i've worn the uniform and watched friends get killed in action while wearing the uniform, I feel that wearing it as a halloween costume is disrespectful and insensitive.

Having never served, I'm very careful about wearing any type of clothing that would leave someone with the notion that I have served. To me, it's disrespectful towards those who have served and earned the right to wear that uniform.

Being in and around shooting sports you are constantly surrounded by current and former military. In my eyes, it's ok for them to wear military camo and apparel at matches, but I won't do it cause I would feel like a poser. To me, there is nothing worse than some douche decked out in military apparel that has never served, but is trying to look the part.

It's natural that shooting sports and the military are closely tied, but there are too many people that are more concerened with looking like GI Joe than they are with their shooting abilties. To me, this is very similar to the urban cowboy douche bags that wear cowboy hats and boots to the bar to pick up girls when they don't know the first damn thing about being a cowboy.

Like others have said, it's okay for a kid to wear a uniform, but I think it's disrespectful for an adult.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BFMF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Regarding whether or not he was impersonating a soldier, veterans and those affiliated with the military may spot an impersonator, but your average joe may not be able to tell the difference.

But because i've worn the uniform and watched friends get killed in action while wearing the uniform, I feel that wearing it as a halloween costume is disrespectful and insensitive.</div></div>

If that's the case, firemen, police, emts should be off limits. You ever dress up as a cop for Halloween or is there a double standard. It's cloth and and hanging out with a couple active duty Marines today I posed this question. One response was "I never signed up for a uniform, if some guy is hung up on a uniform his priorities are fucked." maybe it was because I said it was ACU not MARPAT. I think it was clearly stated the guy wearing the uniform was not acting like a doucher. Why get hung up on bullshit? Have a good night guys.

I figured this would spark some interesting conversation, and appreciate all of your views.

I'm still on the fence - and feel a lot of it comes down to intent and how they carry themselves. That said, I've never served, and the closest I've come to "earning" a rank or uniform is my brown in BJJ...there are some clear cut rules that go around the 7 years I spent earning it.

To the people who are saying its insulting, disrespectful and NEVER ok...is that for the full uniform, or predominantly the coat and insignia/rank/nametapes?

How about wearing those comfy ACU pants and some tan boots with a different shirt altogether?

Please be honest - like I said I own a few sets personally and want to respect those of you who have earned the right, but they are pretty damn comfortable and useful...I've never worn them in public, but this even has me thinking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deputy Dawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If that's the case, firemen, police, emts should be off limits. You ever dress up as a cop for Halloween or is there a double standard.</div></div>

The first part of my post wasn't arguing for or against it. I was merely pointing something out regarding impersonation with a military uniform.

The second part was how I personally felt. Again, I'm not arguing that people can or can't wear it, but it does seem to cheapen the uniform regardless of intentions.

I don't know if its a double standard with police, fireman, and EMT halloween costumes. I personally think its poor taste. The LEO's, Firemen, and EMT's here may have an opinion regarding that, but you will have to let them answer that question.

Have I ever dressed up for Halloween? I can say that I never have, and I never will.

I'm former military and I don't have a problem with it.....until they start acting like an idiot while wearing it.

If he wanted to rip the sleeves off and camo up and go as some Rambo type, so be it...If he wore the uniform like it was intended tp be worn ,then YES, I have a problem with that.

I can understand the guys irritability upon seeing someone in uniform who should not be wearing it.

I spent over twenty years as a firefighter/EMT and currently volunteer my time (for the past 10 years) at the fire museum. Each October we have an open house, primarily for the kids. They come in costume and we have games for them, they get to squirt water and ride the fire trucks.

Most of the volunteers are all former firefighters from somewhere around the country and we wear the museum tee shirts.

There is one guy who comes every year. Mid to late 40's, and has never been a firefighter. He shows up wearing full bunker gear, helmet, AND a Scott air pack and mask and passes himself off as a the real deal. This really pisses off those of us who know he is a fraud, especially when folks ask him questions and he "gives advise". We can't really chase him off because it is a public event, but it is irritating.

Impersonating a LEO is a more serious offense, but this clown posing as a FF still irks me.

So, Yes, I can understand where someone would take offense to non-military wearing a military uniform. I do understand that he did take off insignia and name tapes, but I think respect should be shown. Using a military uniform as a costume is in bad taste, but that is only my opinion.

I am an LEO and as previously posted for wearing for Halloween, plays, movies, skits. There is a broad line between I am a cop (who's not) and I am pretending to be a cop for a holiday that promotes wanting to pretend to be something else. Was the guy in question duck stepping around or Snapping off salutes or giving a general sense that he was a member. That said the OP said he was respectful.

Lastly, it was given to him by his cousin who died wearing it. He was given the privilige to do what he wants when it was given to him after his cousin died. He is not wearing your uniform. The jack off in bar was looking for a fight. Three military bases and he knows everyone on all three bases. Let's be realistic, first we know the veteran was probably not command staff who might have access to knowing all base personnel. Command staff foes not get to know all people on their base let alone two others. To think that enlisted staff would know all personnel on 3 bases is unrealistic. The veteran was looking for attention. He probably took a guess because he was not acting like he was in the military. Just an observation.

I bet if it was a good looking gal with a big set of hooters he wouldn't have said shit. Who really gives a rats ass about what someone wears. Seems pretty petty to me.

I wear my brothers Marpat when hunting. He gave them to me for this very reason. Kind of hard to impersonate a Marine when I have a full beard. However I don't go parading around other people while wearing it or wear it for shits and giggles. Not to mention Marines aren't supposed to be in uniform while off base.

No matter what you do, someone will have a problem with it. If you wanna wear cammies, go for it, if not, don't. Personal choice.

I wear my sons extra clothing that he gives me.After 14 yrs,3 stans and 2 iraqis i feel i have earned it.I feel i would have gotten in some trouble had i been told to remove it!

Deputy Dawg has hit the nail on the head in every post in this thread. I also asked a great friend of mine who served in the Army both in Afghanistan and Iraq, he just laughed.

Truthfully, I have tremendous respect for all service menbers and I can agree that they earned the uniform, but there is a ton of shit day in and day out thats gonna get on your nerves, you can't make a scene everytime something like this happens. Get over it.

IMO i would never wear any military uniforms unless it was obviously not authentic. Just disrespectful to me, if you didnt earn it, you should not wear it. The vet was in the right, your friend should not have worn it. When did people start losing common sense and respect for the military?? Just my opinion

Ran into this with my brother-in-law I gave him my old dungaree tops and he would wear them around town. My name tapes and branch were still above the pockets, I told him that he should remove them but he wanted to leave them on to brag about his new brother-in-law I guess (not that I am anything to brag about). Anyways some salty old retired Chief ran into him and started asking questions about shellbacks and what not. It ended up with him getting a pretty good cussing from the ol'timer. Funny thing is my brother-in-law didn't care and still wears it around. I also gave my best friend an old pea coat that didn't fit as well. To tell you the truth it flatters me to have adult men mimick me so who really cares. I don't think civilians should disrespect the dress uniforms but if the wife wants to slip into my jumper and takes some picks for me then I am game! Something else to consider, if it is sold at a surplus store then who cares if they want to wear it. I know they sell dress uniform items and thats why I said consider.

We learned in the Military that there is a certain amount of respect that you give the uniform and a that you must act in a respectful way while wearing it.
With that being said, I would never wear my old uniform as a costume, but I don't think I would jack someone up for wearing one, although I might have to have a small conversation with this person if I see them acting like a jack ass while in uniform.
SScott

what a bunch of hypocrites...half of you people liked a old thread here on the hide containing these images

http://www.body-painting-women.com/Body-Painting-Pictures.asp?TPictureid=52&Tid=14&Cid=7

http://realpaintfineart.com/Galleries/Bodypaint/tabid/689/AlbumID/1524-84/Default.aspx

if anything this is the ultimate disrespect...but you people loved it! and had nothing but good things to say..

while i do agree with what you are saying about no one other than military should be rocking the dress...but i am also saying to get your standards straight..and stop being so damn 2 sided

this place is worse than AR15.com these days.....

Geeze man you are going to get me sent to mast putting out links like that! I guess I need to read the link before I click, the government is very picky about whats on your work computer screen

I was in the 82nd when I was in 87-90. I still wear BDU pants all the time. I think they are comfortable and I really like them. I go to the range in them ,hunt work around the house. But to wear a full uniform is not exceptable. Unless you are prior service and have a reason to put it on ( funeral,veterans day,recieving a comedation) to name a few. The man had no bisiness w/it on.

i agree with crumpmd, sounds to me like vet was just looking for a fight, me personally dont have a problem with someone dressing like a soldier for halloween( as long as they not acting like they are a real or former soldier) , heck i saw people dressed like doctors last night and so on didnt see no real doctors getting in their face, causing a stink

Wouldn't be an issue for me. I am a veteran as well as an Army brat. Just about every other kid around had a pair of scaled down jungle BDU's of their Dads. I am a lot older now, so not much really bothers me. Along those lines anyway.

When I got out of the Army I'd always tell people it was wrong to wear the "US Army" on their BDU's.

Once you ditch the brainwashing you just don't care.

I am a Black Belt in Shotokan Karate and I saw a kid wearing a Gi.

I was not offended, he even had the Obi (belt) tied correctly.

What's different? Both are a uniform that must be worn properly when serving their purpose.

I honestly don't care about someone's choice of wear any time during the year, however impersonating a service member is a totally different beast in my eyes and should be dealt with harshly. Halloween is a totally different animal and it sounds like the guy in the OP's post is too severe imho. I know a lot of guys who get bent out of shape over civvies in EGA's during airsoft and such, but as long as they aren't walking around talking about how they shot osama when they were in delta force snipers with their barret I figure to each their own.

I remember as a 13 yr old wearing with PRIDE my uncle's WWII but probably Korea era Insulated Field Jacket that had my same last name. Patriotic individual that I am, during Desert storm, they decided they didn't need old fat guys for a while yet (sic).

My son keeps sending me his "hand-me-downs" with my last name on them but other than a couple of hunting trips, they remain in the closet. One of these days, I hope to pass them on to his son.

While it was with pride I wore my Uncle's Field Jacket, it's with Respect that the BDU's remain in the closet.

As this holiday season approaches, pray for our Troops!

You can go to Cabela's and get a gun case that is U.S. Army BDU camo pattern or back pack for that matter.....it's not like dude was wearing a Ranger tab. At least it is not MarPat w/anEGA every 18"......then we would have a problem.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what a bunch of hypocrites...half of you people liked a old thread here on the hide containing these images

http://www.body-painting-women.com/Body-Painting-Pictures.asp?TPictureid=52&Tid=14&Cid=7

http://realpaintfineart.com/Galleries/Bodypaint/tabid/689/AlbumID/1524-84/Default.aspx

if anything this is the ultimate disrespect...but you people loved it! and had nothing but good things to say..

while i do agree with what you are saying about no one other than military should be rocking the dress...but i am also saying to get your standards straight..and stop being so damn 2 sided

this place is worse than AR15.com these days.....</div></div>

Umm boss, thats paint, not a uniform like being discussed in this thread...
And if you dont like the hide or people on the forum, why are you still here? You ever think YOU might be the problem? Your post from yesterday got banned, take it as a sign and leave.

The more I think about the whole issue in the OP the more I realize that the pissed off veteran is more of an embarrassment to the military. Same with anyone else who thinks its a big deal to put on a uniform for halloween. Someone wants to be a fake seal or delta then that is their compromising of morality those of us who have actually served carry it with us.

I don't know, I'm actually torn on this issue! Which shocks me because i'm pretty cut and dry. I will not wear a storm tactial shirt due to the EGA on it. Not that I don't like jarheads, I'm friends with penty of them, but I didn't earn the right to wear it. Luckly the threat of my fat ass getting back into my CNTs or dress blues is quite unlikely. Dec. 10 I hopefully will be laying a red ribbion wreath on a grave site at Riverside National Cemetery. I will wear a mini Surface Warfare pin. I did earn that. What causes me to be torn is the question "why did we serve?" Did we do it for the uniform? No, nobody I know did. The stolen honor part I get and agree with 100%. But as a holloween costume? Why get pissed about it.

BTW: We should all try to take part in Wreaths Across America. If you don't know about it, google it.