• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weatherflow Weather meter not showing D.A.

Olen_4504

[ ]
Supporter
Minuteman
May 16, 2018
Montpelier, Virginia
I've been using a weatherflow weather meter connected to my BallisticARC app with good success for 8-9 months now.

on two occasions however, it won't show D.A. when paired with the app.

it shows all other data - but has "--" marks where D.A. output is.

Anyone else experience this and any solution? i've tried unpairing - closing app, etc. didn't work. running iOS if it matters.

@GeoJoe

(yeah yeah yeah - get a Kestrel.... I know)

I've been using a weatherflow weather meter connected to my BallisticARC app with good success for 8-9 months now.

Anyone else experience this and any solution? i've tried unpairing - closing app, etc. didn't work. running iOS if it matters.

@GeoJoe

I’m on a tight budget and just getting started with PRS. Do you feel the Weatherflow was money well spent? For the price of a kestrel I feel going to a class would be a better usage of my money.

@GeoJoe

Not to sound all "tech-supportish", but have you tried removing the battery and putting it back in after 30 seconds? My first one would give me CRAZY pressure readings every now and then. We're talking 60.0 inHg on reading, and then 0.69 inHg the next time. Taking the battery out and then putting it back in would reset it and it would work fine after that for a match or two. Then it would do the same thing again. I finally had to send it back and have them replace it. The replacement has been working perfectly since I got it, but that may help you out if you haven't tried it.

I’m on a tight budget and just getting started with PRS. Do you feel the Weatherflow was money well spent? For the price of a kestrel I feel going to a class would be a better usage of my money.

except for this weird issue which after talking to Joe at geoballistics seems to be an isolated phone/app problem... i definitely think it's a good way to go.

in a PRS match setting, a Kestrel can't provide anything that this set up doesn't in my opinion.

i will say - when comparing the data outputs with a buddies Kestrel they don't match exactly - to be expected. but i haven't seen a difference large enough to create any dope errors.

(ex: sometimes my weather meter will read 5-10 degrees warmer than actual temp), and DA will be a couple hundred feet off from a Kestrel.

It's gotten me on steel at 1135 at a match - I can't complain about it.

as long as i can get this DA issue to stop. i uninstalled and re installed the app - hopefully that helps

Reactions: Shawn1492
Not to sound all "tech-supportish", but have you tried removing the battery and putting it back in after 30 seconds? My first one would give me CRAZY pressure readings every now and then. We're talking 60.0 inHg on reading, and then 0.69 inHg the next time. Taking the battery out and then putting it back in would reset it and it would work fine after that for a match or two. Then it would do the same thing again. I finally had to send it back and have them replace it. The replacement has been working perfectly since I got it, but that may help you out if you haven't tried it.

I will try that! haha.

i also uninstalled and reinstalled the app.

Joe at Geo Ballistics thinks it's an app problem because it's giving me all the other data that DA is calculated from - just not doing the actual calculation.

You will do just fine using a good ballistic app until you can save up for a Kestrel. FYI, my shooter app usually matches my Kestrel perfectly.

Reactions: Shawn1492
I will try that! haha.

Joe at Geo Ballistics thinks it's an app problem because it's giving me all the other data that DA is calculated from - just not doing the actual calculation.

is your weather flow the geo ballistics version? the tan one?

I will try that! haha.

I have had this issue happen only once while at the range. Since then I have used the Kestrel method of spinning the meter around on a landyard to get it acclimated to the conditions. Haven't had an issue since going with this approach. However, it sounds like your issue may be different.

I have had this issue happen only once while at the range. Since then I have used the Kestrel method of spinning the meter around on a landyard to get it acclimated to the conditions. Haven't had an issue since going with this approach. However, it sounds like your issue may be different.

i do the same thing when i first pull it out of my pack.

definitely seems like an app issue

I started with the Weatherflow + Phone App setup and it's works great. Provides really good data (I used Strelok). The main difference, and the reason I eventually upgraded to a Kestrel is my phone is more fragile than a Kestrel. You can buy waterproof cases for the phone but high temps will also shut it down. Kestrels are able to tolerate heat, water, etc. much better than my phone did. I still keep my phone as backup in case something goes wrong with the Kestrel. Overall, the App+Weathermate worked great as a low cost alternative.