• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WeldWell - Consistent cheek weld for better accuracy!

TheBelgian

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2013
CA
koTOfkc.jpg

Hey guys, I submitted an idea on Quirky for a little device to help get a consistent cheek weld and would love your feedback and vote (on Quirky.com, not in this thread if possible).

The idea is to have a re-usable adhesive patch with a raised silicon line (marker/indicator) to put on your stock in order to repeat the exact cheek weld and guarantee the same cheek weld 100% for proper eye relief.

Yay / Nay ??

Would it not be a better idea to simply mount your scope in the correct location?

I wouldn't want that ridge to rip the skin off my cheekbone with the recoil... just sayin.

DK

Would it not be a better idea to simply mount your scope in the correct location?

I am going to assume that this is for rifles that have an optic where the comb/stock design wasn't the greatest towards using an optic. This is before everyone put a HS Precision or McMillan or Manners on even lower end rifles.

The best example I have of this personally is using a K98 Mauser with the correct LSR scope on it. The rifle was designed to be an infantry battle rifle and thus, the comb has you looking down the irons and not the optic that is up much higher and requires you to practically crane your head up and forward. With the K98 and many other older types of hunting rifles you practically touch the stock with only part of your jaw and have to index your 'weld' with a small piece of your face or where a certain finger is touching your chin, etc.

His idea just negates some of the variables of this.

This address front to pack placement but what about elevation? Getting your eye high enough to be directly in line with the scope. The elevation of your facew is critical to eye alignment and having the same cheekweld on each shot.
Not knocking your idea and your idea would be good on an adjustable cheek piece.

Bill

Note the device is on a nice wooden stock, not designed for a tactical rifle. It is appropriate that the thing is removable and adhesive. It is a bandaid to help remedy the deficiencies of mounting a modern optic on a traditionally designed bolt action hunting rifle. It is like a "kisser button" on a bow string. It is there to help index a suboptimal weld. The silicone ridge gives you an index point, that is otherwise missing from that stock, that can be used to position your face repeatably both vertically and horizontally. It is a neat idea but i find it just as easy to use the scope image to insure that I am lined up. Minute of vitals is sufficient for hunting, and those doing long range "hunting" have rifles designed for the task.

The scope is mounted in the correct location, this really helps when you have to shoulder the rifle quickly or when there's another shooter that needs to fire the rifle.

Note the device is on a nice wooden stock, not designed for a tactical rifle. It is appropriate that the thing is removable and adhesive. It is a bandaid to help remedy the deficiencies of mounting a modern optic on a traditionally designed bolt action hunting rifle. It is like a "kisser button" on a bow string. It is there to help index a suboptimal weld. The silicone ridge gives you an index point, that is otherwise missing from that stock, that can be used to position your face repeatably both vertically and horizontally. It is a neat idea but i find it just as easy to use the scope image to insure that I am lined up. Minute of vitals is sufficient for hunting, and those doing long range "hunting" have rifles designed for the task.

Dead on! Thanks for all the feedbacks tho!

ill agree with this

Have you ever be part of a tactical match where you have to switch shooting position? I've seen people use elastic bands, duct tape and what not in order to get that consistent cheek weld while adjusting their shooting position on the fly... Shooting from a bench or prone will slightly change things.

I have in fact shot in a couple tactical matches.
If your scope and stock are set up correctly, every time you put your shoulder on the rifle, and cheek on the cheek piece it will be perfect. No matter if I'm standing, upside down or sideways. It's fit to me. And thus perfect for me. In my opinion only of course.

Then for up and down, you have an adjustable cheek piece/riser. This gets your eye on the same level or plane as the scope. And it's also perfect when you set it.

I'm not saying this is a bad idea, and don't want to shoot anyone's ideas down.

But if your shooting your rifle, it should be set to your face and shoulder. So it's perfect every time you are shooting.
If someone else shoulders your rifle, their face is different. Nothing is going to be perfect. And thus they should never have to take a hurried shot. Why. Have them fitted for a rifle so they can make a proper shot.

My cheek bone and shoulder is different than all of my shooting buddies. Some more than others. My eye location forward and back is different than all my buddies. Where my cheek hits this rubber on the stock it might be perfect for me. But my buddy with high cheek bones will have to ha e his face right on top of it. That would be uncomfortable to say the least. And my other buddy that weights 400 lbs has his cheek way back and than doesn't even touch the rubber

You get the idea. Everyone is different and puts their face and shoulder on the rifle different. If you want someone to make a good successful shot, make sure the rifle is set for them. Again all in my humble opinion