• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wet tumbling what a difference WOW

I’ll speak up here, 260 rem Norma brass, once fired, dry tumbled, re loaded with a 136 scenar on top. Let it sit for over a year, got a new barrel and bullet needed to be pushed back a bit so it wouldn’t be jammed into the lands. Tried pushing it back .030 with my Redding micro seater, and it would not budge. Deformed the bullet before it would push it back at all. Had to use an inertia hammer to break the bond on that whole lot of ammo before I could push them back.

Did you use any wax in your tumbler?

I have not pulled any down after storage for a year but have shot plenty of them with no changes noted.

So I watched the vidio test and hmmm.

My dry tumbled brass looks like this.

20210329_202209.jpg

20201012_190817.jpg

This was range brass swept up from the floor.

I’ll speak up here, 260 rem Norma brass, once fired, dry tumbled, re loaded with a 136 scenar on top. Let it sit for over a year, got a new barrel and bullet needed to be pushed back a bit so it wouldn’t be jammed into the lands. Tried pushing it back .030 with my Redding micro seater, and it would not budge. Deformed the bullet before it would push it back at all. Had to use an inertia hammer to break the bond on that whole lot of ammo before I could push them back.

But would it matter where it matters?

That's the point a lot of people miss.

Just like cleaning primer pockets. It's a total waste of time.

Reactions: 260284
Foster offers an inside the neck graphiter setup. The steps would be - clean sized and dry case, primer seated, neck ID brushed with graphiter, powder dropped in case.

BTW they describe its use as a preparation for sizing, not bullet seating, but it would work in this capacity as well.

Just wait until your case necks start peening over. Then sticks to your expander or your mandrel. Oh the joys. Graphite is a mess. 2 steps forward one step back. Good luck.

I'll have to keep an eye out for these issues...so far I don't see any issues

I wet tumble,15 minutes without media and its gtg, mho.
Just because your dishwasher runs for an hour+ doesn't mean your wet tumbler has too.
No peening, no rolled case mouths!
Sometimes I use a brass cleaner, sometimes just a detergent.
AND always make sure the tumbler is filled to the top with water! It serves as a buffer.
Oh yeah, you still have to DRY the brass lol 😆
Did I mention that I hate listening to a dry tumbler running for hours and hours!

Just because your dishwasher runs for an hour+ doesn't mean your wet tumbler has too.
AND always make sure the tumbler is filled to the top with water! It serves as a buffer.
Did I mention that I hate listening to a dry tumbler running for hours and hours!

What formulas have you been using for your cleaning agent.

I am still experimenting but I run 30 minutes with pins dawn and lemi shine

Reactions: Halfnutz
I'm going to echo what others said above, there's a lot of unproven BS in reloading advice so be careful. I personally haven't noticed any difference in SD between clean brass and dirty, carbon on necks or not. I have tried graphite lube and I don't think it does anything with seating force. What does reduce seating force is using a larger mandrel and/or neck turning.

For those not using media when wet tumbling, remember one of the functions of that media is to buffer against collisions between brass, so you might end up with more case mouth damage that way. I would always use a mandrel and trim after wet tumbling anyway, so I don't think it's a factor.

Reactions: 918v and Remman13
I'm going to echo what others said above, there's a lot of unproven BS in reloading advice so be careful. I personally haven't noticed any difference in SD between clean brass and dirty, carbon on necks or not. I have tried graphite lube and I don't think it does anything with seating force. What does reduce seating force is using a larger mandrel and/or neck turning.

For those not using media when wet tumbling, remember one of the functions of that media is to buffer against collisions between brass, so you might end up with more case mouth damage that way. I would always use a mandrel and trim after wet tumbling anyway, so I don't think it's a factor.
Thanks for advice

The tumbler I use doesn't allow a lot of room for brass to move. I hear it rattling but it can't be much actual movement because I have never, ever had any neck damage whatsoever.

And believe me I've looked hard for it since some people here continue to harp about it.

Nope. No damage.

Quite honestly I was done taking reloading advice over the internet several years ago. Now I experiment on my own and keep what works for me and ignore what doesn't work or anything where the juice isn't worth the squeeze (primer pocket cleaning/uniforming for instance)

Here's what I use: https://www.harborfreight.com/dual-drum-rotary-rock-tumbler-67632.html

What formulas have you been using for your cleaning agent.

If I have it I use Frankford brass cleaning solution (couple onces) with Dawn.
Mostly just use Dawn.

Making sure the tumbler is brim full of water IS the buffer!

Probably for me, I want the sizing lube gone and just have clean brass

If it were round things would just slide along the bottom?

Is that tumbler round inside or does it have angles or agitators? The frankford is hexagonal so its a rough spin and things get mixed and banged around pretty good.

It's round and smooth inside, no vanes, flaps, or any protrusions.

If it were round things would just slide along the bottom?

It's round inside. I don't know how cases move inside. I do know they come out shiny (without the need for pins), clean, and undamaged.

I looked it up.

Evedently made or lined with rubber. Guess that makes for traction / friction that moves and rotates contents.

Wonder if it would work with dry media?

Much as I love my vibratory cleaner they do make noise and if I can not close the door on the room it is a bother.

Some days I take it outside of the house.

Everything has a tradeoff.

If I had a wet tumbler then my wife would bitch I was qualified to wash, rinse and dry.

Hell no.

Reactions: GONE BAD
Also, you should be examining every case to make sure there are no pins stuck in the case neck and/or primer pocket. All it takes is to miss just one pin. I don't have that kinda time.
Even though I trust that a pin would just get blown out the barrel behind the bullet, I'm still paranoid about it. When I use steel pins, I go over the cases with a fist-sized neodymium magnet after they are dried.

Reactions: Lite and Remman13
Try Hornady one shot that is used in ultrasonic cleaners in your wet tumbler a cap full will make your brass new. I’ve wet tumbled for years and never had any of the problems listed above.

Reactions: Remman13
I looked it up.

Evedently made or lined with rubber. Guess that makes for traction / friction that moves and rotates contents.

Much as I love my vibratory cleaner they do make noise and if I can not close the door on the room it is a bother.

If I had a wet tumbler then my wife would bitch I was qualified to wash, rinse and dry.

Hell no.

Lol. Tell her she can use your wet tumbler to clean the silverware!

• Haha
Reactions: 6.5SH
I looked it up.

Hell no.
The Frankord wet tumbler isnt any quieter than a dry one, just a different obnoxious sound. Not sure about the little harbor freight one.

Here we go again.

Unless you measure the force it takes to seat a bullet to a consistent location, your feel is BS. I'm an engineer, and a lot of people here are either same or are in professions where data matters and feelings don't mean a thing. We don't care how something feels. We care how something IS, and we care even more what effect something has on the end result. That's why full factorial experiments are useful. They show you how much influence each variable that you test for has on the system output. Full factorial experiments also let you test more than one variable at once (something I'm told is impossible) but I digress.

Did you feel 30 lbs of force to seat the bullet? Or did you feel 32? Or did you feel 50? Did that difference matter to accuracy? How do you know? What other factors could cause MV variation and did you isolate them out?

What if you wet tumble without SS pins? What if you wet tumble for 30 min instead of two hours?

Reloading is probably THE number 1 repository of bullshit and old wives tales in the gun world.
Tipical comments of an engineer

Typical comments of those who deal in feelings and opinions
I would have said "typical comment of someone who just got butthurt" but whatever.

The amount of people who have calibrated trigger fingers and can apparently measure 2oz, and accurately tell me what the weight of any rifle is, should put trigger pull gauge companies out of business. Secondly is people who have vernier scales tattoo'd to their eyeballs and tell me how long or big something is.

Yes people can learn, but even the most seasoned veteran can't do shit compared to the correct measuring equip, which is why we use it.

Reloading. Results are down range, not arguments on the internuts.

Reactions: 308pirate
I would have said "typical comment of someone who just got butthurt" but whatever.

The amount of people who have calibrated trigger fingers and can apparently measure 2oz, and accurately tell me what the weight of any rifle is, should put trigger pull gauge companies out of business. Secondly is people who have vernier scales tattoo'd to their eyeballs and tell me how long or big something is.

Yes people can learn, but even the most seasoned veteran can't do shit compared to the correct measuring equip, which is why we use it.

Reloading. Results are down range, not arguments on the internuts.

I can't say for sure which area of rifle shooting is most rife with bullshit but reloading's got to be in the top 3 for sure.

Reactions: slowworm and iceng
Here we go again.

Unless you measure the force it takes to seat a bullet to a consistent location, your feel is BS. I'm an engineer, and a lot of people here are either same or are in professions where data matters and feelings don't mean a thing. We don't care how something feels. We care how something IS, and we care even more what effect something has on the end result. That's why full factorial experiments are useful. They show you how much influence each variable that you test for has on the system output. Full factorial experiments also let you test more than one variable at once (something I'm told is impossible) but I digress.

Did you feel 30 lbs of force to seat the bullet? Or did you feel 32? Or did you feel 50? Did that difference matter to accuracy? How do you know? What other factors could cause MV variation and did you isolate them out?

What if you wet tumble without SS pins? What if you wet tumble for 30 min instead of two hours?

Reloading is probably THE number 1 repository of bullshit and old wives tales in the gun world.
I'm interested in knowing your thoughts on wet/dry tumbling? Sticky bullets, etc.?

I'm interested in knowing your thoughts on wet/dry tumbling? Sticky bullets, etc.?
I wet tumble. It cleans better than any dry media process I have ever used. The way I do it doesn't damage cases in any way and I don't fuck with stainless steel pins or anything else other than hot water and soap.

I dry cases in an oven at a temperature above the boiling point of water but below the transition temperature of brass.

I don't care about sticky bullets because I don't see any ill effects in either pressure (subjective) or accuracy (objective).

Even though I trust that a pin would just get blown out the barrel behind the bullet, I'm still paranoid about it. When I use steel pins, I go over the cases with a fist-sized neodymium magnet after they are dried.
So neodymium magnets work on stainless steel?

I have a wet tumbler and have not been satisfied with my ES. Lately I’ve just been reloading without any cleaning at all. Any drawbacks to this method?