• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report What a difference a $90 stock can make!!!!

5Redman8

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2005
DFW TX
Bought a Stevens 200 when they were on sale at Academy for $179. Bedded the original stock but noticed quite a bit of flex and movement.

After much looking, I bought a cheap Bell & Carlson Duramaxx. Bedded it and the results follow.

Each pair of targets are the same exact load.....three different test loads.....original stock on the left.....new stock on the right.

100yds and the squares are 1"

P1010287.jpg

P1010286.jpg

P1010285.jpg

Re: What a difference a $90 stock can make!!!!

Im still amazed at how manufacturers can sell rifles with such crappy stocks.

Surely It cant be too hard to incorporate higher rigidity and more float into a crappy polymer stock.

Results look good

yeah man looks good. i too am dumbfounded at the crap they turn out from the factory.

slap a piece of aluminum or something in the forend for heavens sake.

rifle that shoots 1 1/2 moa $700
piece of aluminum in the plastic that could have made it shoot 3/4 moa $10
the feel of satisfaction when handloads and newly bedded stock make it shoot 1/2 moa priceless

maybe they are just looking out for our gunsmithing skills and want to make sure we practice
grin.gif

anyway nice job!

I should have gotten someone to pick one up for me and ship it to my FFL.
frown.gif
$179 for a donor action where you can sell the take of barrel is a steal. Wish we had a Academy's in KC.

Branden

I snagged two for myself of the short actions. Sold the stock for $35, so the barrel for $75. Have Savage short action centerfeed for less than $80 each. Best deal ever.

My brother-in-law bought the long action version and I just sold his stock for $45. Going to gunkote it, place in a nice laminate stock, convert to DBM and bedded for less than $400. You can't beat that.

Academy didn't want to sell them for that price but they honored the ad. They pulled it from their online ad within a day. Luckily when I went down there I brought the paper with me cause they pulled the ad from their counter too.