• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s What are you drinking right now!?

I have to confess to total ignorance of the existence of this spirit until you posted up. A little research came up with the following description of it:

"A nice alternative to cognacs or Calvados. It is to Calvados what armagnac is to cognac – a cousin from the provinces (or in this case the colonies) that has more texture, body and aroma. All around, an interesting tipple that is worth a try."

I'll have to search it out now. (y)
20211025_204133.jpg

Reactions: rhsc
^^^^^ooh, color me jealous!!!
That is ultra difficult to obtain, so congratulations are in order.

Now last years offering was considered a big disappointment. (I've never been able to have any, so I am parroting different reviews from folks I trust).

This year is supposed to be much better and more along expectations.

Reactions: 6.5SH
^^^^^ooh, color me jealous!!!
That is ultra difficult to obtain, so congratulations are in order.

Now last years offering was considered a big disappointment. (I've never been able to have any, so I am parroting different reviews from folks I trust).

This year is supposed to be much better and more along expectations.
Roger that! My family is in the middle of a big move— I’ll crack this once we’re all settled in to our new digs.

Thanks, always appreciate your insight.

Reactions: Soulezoo
Almost finished with what is probably the best Old Fashioned I’ve ever made… Only changed one ingredient from my normal “boxcar” variant of this drink: The cherries.

Was talking to a fellow brown liquor aficionado at a neighborhood wine tasting/gathering last weekend and we got to arguing the merits of different versions of this classic…and he told me “you have to get real candied black cherries instead of regular maraschino, trust me.”

So I sprung for the real-deal $20 jar of Italian Amaretto cherries:

i-zcrhkBb.jpg

And holy crap. What a difference!

Literally no other change, but the flavor just pops now…and I actually used almost no “syrup” from the jar; just what was on the cherries (double, so I used two) as I dropped them in the glass. Completely worth the 4x cost of regular cherries. Honestly can hardly believe such a small change made such a huge difference in this drink.

i-dPRDZDd.jpg

I typically ‘cheat’ and use a bourbon instead of rye when I make an Old fashioned for myself, and I‘ve come to prefer a sweet liquor instead of simple syrup (that has to be fresh-made btw), lately have been using praline liquor for that bit of smokiness on top of the sweet. I also tend to use orange bitters instead of an orange peel…so much easier, LOL.

My recipe:
2 parts good aged rye (or bourbon if you want it sweeter)
1 part praline liquor
a few dashes orange bitters to taste
2-3 dashes regular Angostura bitters
1 cherry … and now highly recommend getting real-deal Candied or amaretto black cherries vs maraschino

i-nXTp7xL.jpg

I typically serve it over a large ice ball from a mold I keep in the freezer, and add a very small splash of water on top to get everything mixing, but just used regular cube ice this time so no need for the splash of water.

I'm lazy and use cherry/lemon/orange bitters in place of fruit/peel as well. I've got four different kinds of orange.

I've tried the Luxardo cherries and frankly thought they suck. The various Tillen offerings tasted way better to me (the Bada Bing especially). Will keep my eye open for the Lazzaroni's.

Almost finished with what is probably the best Old Fashioned I’ve ever made… Only changed one ingredient from my normal “boxcar” variant of this drink: The cherries.

Was talking to a fellow brown liquor aficionado at a neighborhood wine tasting/gathering last weekend and we got to arguing the merits of different versions of this classic…and he told me “you have to get real candied black cherries instead of regular maraschino, trust me.”

So I sprung for the real-deal $20 jar of Italian Amaretto cherries:

i-zcrhkBb.jpg

And holy crap. What a difference!

Literally no other change, but the flavor just pops now…and I actually used almost no “syrup” from the jar; just what was on the cherries (double, so I used two) as I dropped them in the glass. Completely worth the 4x cost of regular cherries. Honestly can hardly believe such a small change made such a huge difference in this drink.

i-dPRDZDd.jpg

I typically ‘cheat’ and use a bourbon instead of rye when I make an Old fashioned for myself, and I‘ve come to prefer a sweet liquor instead of simple syrup (that has to be fresh-made btw), lately have been using praline liquor for that bit of smokiness on top of the sweet. I also tend to use orange bitters instead of an orange peel…so much easier, LOL.

My recipe:
2 parts good aged rye (or bourbon if you want it sweeter)
1 part praline liquor
a few dashes orange bitters to taste
2-3 dashes regular Angostura bitters
1 cherry … and now highly recommend getting real-deal Candied or amaretto black cherries vs maraschino

i-nXTp7xL.jpg

I typically serve it over a large ice ball from a mold I keep in the freezer, and add a very small splash of water on top to get everything mixing, but just used regular cube ice this time so no need for the splash of water.

Damn that looks tasty. And with Buffalo Trace. Now I gotta go shopping before the weekend!

Well that looks good.
Guess I'll order one at a bar to see if I like it.

Had a margarita with TX whiskey added to it tonight.
Made it taste like cheap rank mezcal and bad mixer.

Almost spit it out. I did not order it myself.

Only pumpkin beer I’ve found that I like…occasionally
2FAC6C09-73AA-4DA7-80E4-09B4B7143240.jpeg

On a related note, what's the situation on the ground with Weller 12yo these days? Years ago, that was my go-to bourbon, but then the craze hit and it all flew off the shelves and you could only get it if you knew the secret handshake at your local liquor store and maybe slip a guy a $20. Is it still unobtanium? If you have a secret source, what do you pay for it? I just did a quick search and prices are all over the place, ranging from $35.00 (out of stock) to $600.00 each (only 2 bottles left!) - I payed $25.00 for it the last time I found some, which was nearly 10 years ago. Has the craze abated anywhere, or do too many people still regard Weller 12 as though it were more of an investment commodity rather than something you actually break the seal on so you can sip and enjoy it?

On a related note, what's the situation on the ground with Weller 12yo these days? Years ago, that was my go-to bourbon, but then the craze hit and it all flew off the shelves and you could only get it if you knew the secret handshake at your local liquor store and maybe slip a guy a $20. Is it still unobtanium? If you have a secret source, what do you pay for it? I just did a quick search and prices are all over the place, ranging from $35.00 (out of stock) to $600.00 each (only 2 bottles left!) - I payed $25.00 for it the last time I found some, which was nearly 10 years ago. Has the craze abated anywhere, or do too many people still regard Weller 12 as though it were more of an investment commodity rather than something you actually break the seal on so you can sip and enjoy it?
$150 is a great deal and $180 is usual these days. Yes that’s for a 750 mL bottle. These are sold on secondary markets as you’ll be hard pressed to find this “in the wild”

$150 is a great deal and $180 is usual these days. Yes that’s for a 750 mL bottle. These are sold on secondary markets as you’ll be hard pressed to find this “in the wild”
Wow.

There's excellent Scotch whisky that I would much rather spend that kind of money on. Weller 12 is certainly a "good" wheated bourbon, but it doesn't come close to justifying those prices in my estimation. So, it's still a craze then.

Lately, I've been enjoying Old Grand Dad Bonded and/or Buffalo Trace as my budget buys, and even garden-variety Buffalo Trace has been getting harder to find and often has bottle limit restrictions . When I want to splurge a bit, I'll get some Jefferson's Very Old or Belle Meade Reserve.

I always gravitate to the imperial stouts when it gets cold outside. Really enjoying this one. The bourbon barrel aging is really nice, as are the coffee and dark chocolate undertones.

1247836D-08FD-4738-99CC-B369A64D28E6.jpeg

Reactions: db2000
Ugh. Why do the pics get flipped. It’s been happening to me on other sites. Super strange. Anyway try wicked easy. You’ll love it if you have taste buds

I used to drink quite a bit of knob creek. Always had to be straight room temp for me. I think it’s good shit. Stopped drinking whiskey and just do beer. I was getting to fucked up. 1 beer..a shot…1beer..a shot. Lol

You had it right.

• Haha
Reactions: XikoPlavi
In case any of you deplorables have a job might moderate that on a work night.

I'll take care of the heavy lifting.
All I have to do is listen to the wife and doctor bitch, no work.

You would think as you get older you would get drunk easier.
Not the case.

You just get pissed faster if your sober for some stupid reason other than shooting or driving.

Just got home from work. Tonight's line up. Already finished the first pour and on to the second....going from left to right.

KC 2001 LE Batch 2, KC 2001 LE Batch 3, JDSBBP, ECBP A120, ECBP B521, ECBP C920

Cheers

Reactions: BigTex
Just got home from work. Tonight's line up. Already finished the first pour and on to the second....going from left to right.

KC 2001 LE Batch 2, KC 2001 LE Batch 3, JDSBBP, ECBP A120, ECBP B521, ECBP C920

Cheers

While these were all excellent pours, KC 2001 LE Batch 2 and ECBP c920 really stood out for anyone interested. KC 25TH was good but I expected a lot more.. EHTBP.....well it's EHTBP.. DELICIOUS

While these were all excellent pours, KC 2001 LE Batch 2 and ECBP c920 really stood out for anyone interested. KC 25TH was good but I expected a lot more.. EHTBP.....well it's EHTBP.. DELICIOUS
I was just going to ask which ECBP you liked best. 920 is a beast, the others aren't memorable to me. 919 is a good one too. I'm trying to get my hands on a 921. I have a theory that the 9 batches are the best.

Reactions: padom
I was just going to ask which ECBP you liked best. 920 is a beast, the others aren't memorable to me. 919 is a good one too. I'm trying to get my hands on a 921. I have a theory that the 9 batches are the best.

I actually decided to do a ECBP tasting tonight and pulled these out of the bunker to open. I have 4 or 5 more down there, not sure what Batch they are. 920 was very very good. B521 wasn't far behind... I didn't dig A120. Meh

I also have 2 batches of ECTB which is one of my favorites. I rated 2020 ECTB as bourbon of the year for me with 4RLE2020 a close second due to its uniqueness. Still a month and a half in 2021 and the vote is still out at the moment but Old Fitz 8yr and StaggJr Batch 16 are st the top of the list. I'd give Stagg Jr B16 the edge at the moment.. that cherry cola flavor, thick mouth coating and everlasting finish. Mmmmmm

Like I said, the vote is still out...this current release MWND is like a dessert in your mouth. This is up there to. Picked it up a few weeks ago

Last edited:
A friend, over the road truck driver, said he has been looking to no avail. I told him that it's just not available to him. Tipping the people that work at the liquor store will get better results.
I probably should get an order in at my local place to insure I have a better stock
People go bonkers over it here in the NE... I thankfully have a nice stockpile in the bunker of Small Batch, Single Barrel, Straight Rye and Barrel Proof. I really enjoy it.

A friend, over the road truck driver, said he has been looking to no avail. I told him that it's just not available to him. Tipping the people that work at the liquor store will get better results.
I probably should get an order in at my local place to insure I have a better stock

PA is a controlled state. Everything is sold by the state. BT products drop 1x per month at the state stores...blantons, Eagle Rare, EHT Small Batch and Buffalo Trace... it sells out in a few hours.. they also release it along with Weller Special Reserve on their website a few times a month.

I find most of mine on the shelf in surrounding states.. I'm not into lining up at the liquor store 30min before they open to score bottles...hahaha

Ahhh yeah, I remember the State Store from when I lived in the keystone state. Luckily I lived close to the Ohio border.
PA is a controlled state. Everything is sold by the state. BT products drop 1x per month at the state stores...blantons, Eagle Rare, EHT Small Batch and Buffalo Trace... it sells out in a few hours.. they also release it along with Weller Special Reserve on their website a few times a month.

I find most of mine on the shelf in surrounding states.. I'm not into lining up at the liquor store 30min before they open to score bottles...hahaha

Ahhh yeah, I remember the State Store from when I lived in the keystone state. Luckily I lived close to the Ohio border.
Luckily Im in SE PA, so im very close to the NJ, DE and MD border and thats where I find 99% of my juice. Good old Ohio, the land of Weller. I have some bourbon buddies that send me all my OWA 107 from Ohio.

Reactions: DarnYankeeUSMC
Mexican Manhattan

2oz Bulleit Rye
1oz Ancho Reyes Chile liquor (red)
5-6 dashes of Chocolate Bitters

Mix it up and pour it over a 2” Ice Cube and take your time.

I got to "enjoy" the state store when I was back there for my Dad's funeral.

More than $20 over what I pay in AZ, that was 2014.

I still have fond memories of high school ('77) and driving to NY where it was 18 to drink.

Reactions: Snuby642
Ya was 18 in Texas as well and I think in Az and Illinois.

Some NJ pickups today. This OE LE Infinity Blend is amazing. Also found this OE SiB SP 107 proof bourbon and C921 I was hunting for. The Blue Run High Rye Bourbon is the first Blue Run whiskey made with bourbon legend Jim Rutledge serving as the contracted master distiller . Looking forward to this one.

Reactions: DarnYankeeUSMC
Hot apple cider, a double.

Just something different.

Many weekends at the boy scout ranches was my treet at the end of the day. Never slipped anything in it those days.

You could never guess what the hell 40 kids would do next to require my sobriety.

One day they hoisted a truck 20 foot off the ground with its winch. While they were in it.

Reactions: Jim Out