• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s What are you drinking right now!?

IMG_3275.jpeg

Looks like a rum kinda night Found these in the Caymans🍻
IMG_4269.jpeg
IMG_4270.jpeg

One too many of these last night watching LSU whip Florida’s ass in repayment of Sundays game…..
IMG_3310.jpeg

On a whim just created the Old Grand-Dad version of the Weller SB blend.
50/50 mix of Basil Hayden 8 yo (80 pf) and OGD 114.
This works very well, if BH was 90 pf, OGD 100 BiB could work but as is think the 114 is needed here. Wish there was a 12 yo version of BH or OGD to try.

Reactions: db2000
The Old Taylor bottle was found at my father in law's some weeks ago. His kids never knew it was there. His youngest daughter is my wife. They are sure it belonged to his father. I found a few bottles on various websites with the seal around the cap still intact. They were dated from the 50's and 70's. As you can see this one has '42 partly visible. I think it is that old. I may be wrong...who knows..but the ownership by their grandfather adds up. I tasted it and it tastes like ice tea. No joke. Not sure if I want to drink anymore to be honest, but I had to try it!
IMG_5542.jpg

And a few other things I'm working on....☺️
IMG_5543.jpg

IMG_5544.jpg

If anybody has any other clues on that old bottle...please sound off. Everyone was curious about it. As always, good luck and good shooting!!

• Wow
Reactions: HPIguy and JIMB3AM
Asking my bourbon junky friends about this. Just sent them pic of tax seal

The Old Taylor bottle was found at my father in law's some weeks ago. His kids never knew it was there. His youngest daughter is my wife. They are sure it belonged to his father. I found a few bottles on various websites with the seal around the cap still intact. They were dated from the 50's and 70's. As you can see this one has '42 partly visible. I think it is that old. I may be wrong...who knows..but the ownership by their grandfather adds up. I tasted it and it tastes like ice tea. No joke. Not sure if I want to drink anymore to be honest, but I had to try it!
View attachment 8175225
And a few other things I'm working on....☺️
View attachment 8175227
View attachment 8175228
If anybody has any other clues on that old bottle...please sound off. Everyone was curious about it. As always, good luck and good shooting!!
Is pre-1984 since still had a tax stamp. The years made and bottled (since was a Bond) would be in red and near the bottom oriented horizontal to the short dimension. https://bourbonveach.com/2020/01/06/tax-stamps/

Here's a 1980 with the same bottle and label style (click the image to enlarge):

There may be a decipherable date code for when the bottle was made on the bottom which can get you closer to the true age it was bottled.

ETA:
Found it, is likely from from 1971 to 1980 based on the type of plastic cap.

The taste of "ice tea" is a bit concerning though, perhaps it had been refilled with something unless it didn't have a good seal and suffered severe evaporation, but that has a decent fill level. I had some 6 yo non Bottled-in-Bond that was sold after Beam bought them out during the glut years. What was in that bottle was way older than 6 years and is a butterscotcch bomb. A lot of the glut era whiskey was like that, way older than what was on the label (if there was an age statement) unless it was a Bond which has to be from one distiller and one season.

Is pre-1984 since still had a tax stamp. The years made and bottled (since was a Bond) would be in red and near the bottom oriented horizontal to the short dimension. https://bourbonveach.com/2020/01/06/tax-stamps/

Here's a 1980 with the same bottle and label style (click the image to enlarge):

There may be a decipherable date code for when the bottle was made on the bottom which can get you closer to the true age it was bottled.

ETA:
Found it, is likely from from 1971 to 1980 based on the type of plastic cap.

The taste of "ice tea" is a bit concerning though, perhaps it had been refilled with something unless it didn't have a good seal and suffered severe evaporation, but that has a decent fill level. I had some 6 yo non Bottled-in-Bond that was sold after Beam bought them out during the glut years. What was in that bottle was way older than 6 years and is a butterscotcch bomb. A lot of the glut era whiskey was like that, way older than what was on the label (if there was an age statement) unless it was a Bond which has to be from one distiller and one season.
Concur. My findings as well.

That iced tea flavor is likely from exposure to air.

Pour a small amount of whiskey into a glass and let it sit for a day or two. A day or two later, pour a fresh glass and compare side by side with the whiskey left overnight. You'll see what I mean. Flavors become more muted and most bourbons become more earthy/tea-like as alcohol evaporates and the whiskey oxidizes.

How is that? I’ve seen it but never tried it.
I like it. IMO it is the best one among the 4-7.5-12 yo choices. To me this or Calvados gets this odd pepper taste the older it gets.

The Laird family still runs it so is a real piece of American history.

Reactions: db2000