• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s What are you drinking right now!?

Still working on attaining an appreciation of amber colored liquids.

Really liking the bottle of Balvenie Carribean Cask it was suggested I buy.

Ive tried some Tullamore Dew and found it mild, kind of neutral.

Tried Knob Creek this weekend and liked it, just not as much as I like the Balvenie.

Johnnie Walker Blue - Meh.

Woodford Reserve - too burnt barrel.

Read good things about Balvenie Single Barrel First Fill 12 year but cant find it anywhere - Is it a special or only released at certain times of the year?

This one. It's....ok I reckon.
IMG_20190716_123738652.jpg

Who knew Massachusetts was a whiskey producer.

image.jpg

If it sucks Ill blame my friend that lives out that way.

Meh, drinkable...a mouthful of butter with a spice tail.

Last edited:
Belle Meade. Toured the distillery and had a tasting. Good stuff. Too bad they don't sell it in my home state. I hope this bottle survives the flights home.

Attachments

• 20190716_130032.jpg
    20190716_130032.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 117
Wife is out of town so today's bachelor brunch started off with a bacon infused bourbon (1) (Basil Hayden's). Being on an empty stomach a few of those led to vertigo, which gave way to hunger. Locating a few octopus tentacles and a small lobster tail in the fridge I searched for something to wash them down whilst they baked on the Green Egg.

Bacon Infused Bourbon

Reactions: Edgecrusher
We need a well balanced dinner to round out the day.

Keeping alive the mantra, never eat without a weapon... In the foreground is the cornerstone of a strong and healthy heart. Against the backsplash is a Desert Eagle 1911 U I picked up off a prize table. This afternoon I put 100 rounds of PMC 185 JHPs through it without a hiccup. Very nice trigger, super sweet grips, and quite accurate. Given their street price these things are a friggin steal.

I have had a fews cases of this stuff in the cellar for a while. Turns out my timing was pretty good on uncorking this one.

Reactions: Jscb1b
We need a well balanced dinner to round out the day.

Keeping alive the mantra, never eat without a weapon... In the foreground is the cornerstone of a strong and healthy heart. Against the backsplash is a Desert Eagle 1911 U I picked up off a prize table. This afternoon I put 100 rounds of PMC 185 JHPs through it without a hiccup. Very nice trigger, super sweet grips, and quite accurate. Given their street price these things are a friggin steal.

I have had a fews cases of this stuff in the cellar for a while. Turns out my timing was pretty good on uncorking this one.

KaBars go better than German steel with French reds...…..

i-2tGFQXj-XL.jpg

If you haven't had it, it's very, actually, exceptionally tasty. (y)

Only drink it neat FWIW.

Last edited:
Looked at a bottle of Bourbon on the shelf and thought price was too high so I put it back and picked up a $53 bottle of Balvenie sherry cask.

Guy at the counter starts yakking about how special the first bottle I looked at is.

I'm such a fool.....

image.jpg

Cost me an added $34 dollars and on top of all the other gun buying stuff in the picture I'll be drowning my wallet sorrows in this shit.

Looked at a bottle of Bourbon on the shelf and thought price was too high so I put it back and picked up a $53 bottle of Balvenie sherry cask.

Guy at the counter starts yakking about how special the first bottle I looked at is.

I'm such a fool.....

View attachment 7120972

Cost me an added $34 dollars and on top of all the other gun buying stuff in the picture I'll be drowning my wallet sorrows in this shit.
I like really good bourbon, but for everyday it's hard to beat buffalo trace for $23 a bottle.

I like really good bourbon, but for everyday it's hard to beat buffalo trace for $23 a bottle.

Had a glass of Angel Envy last night.

Better than the Balvenie Caribbean cask Whiskey.

Thank you for the Buffalo Trace suggestion.

Im new at this and could use saving the money.

I completely agree with you on this. Compare Blanton's side by side with Elijah Craig small batch too.

The EC, McKenna BiB, and Eagle Rare are my every day drinkers.

I finally got my hands in some Blantons. My take is it's good but it's not THAT good. Seriously some people talk like this is THE best bourbon ever, and it is good, but Eagle Rare is just as good, a lot cheaper and readily available.
My $.02 bourbon is a vey subjective topic.

I got a bottle of Angel's Envy not long ago. Count me as unimpressed. I found it thin and with little complexity. I understand that the barrel strength is better, but I won't be looking for it.

Using it as a mixer now.

Had a glass of Angel Envy last night.

Better than the Balvenie Caribbean cask Whiskey.

Thank you for the Buffalo Trace suggestion.

Im new at this and could use saving the money.

I spent the evening relaxing in the hot tub with a generous snifter of Flor de Cana 18 year old rum.
Life is good!

I spent the evening relaxing in the hot tub with a generous snifter of Flor de Cana 18 year old rum.
Life is good!

What's your opinion on it? I just picked up FDC 18 at the ABC store this past Friday and haven't popped the top yet, though I'm excited to try it. They also had the 25 year on the shelf. Rum reviews has it rated as a descent sipper.

It's quite good, although perhaps just a little woody. Enough to scare me from the 25 year.

It will stand up to a cigar better than many others.

I have it more for variety than for absolute "I love this stuff"

On the whole, I find Diplimatico Reserva more satisfying.

What's your opinion on it? I just picked up FDC 18 at the ABC store this past Friday and haven't popped the top yet, though I'm excited to try it. They also had the 25 year on the shelf. Rum reviews has it rated as a descent sipper.

One thing to remember on barrel aging, the hotter the climate, the faster a spirit will take on the flavors that the wood imparts. That is why Scotch can rest in the barrel for 40 years and be good (been to Scotland? It's friggin cold!) where the sweet spot with bourbon is from 12-18 years depending on conditions. (Hot and muggy Kentucky summers anyone?)

So rums aged in the Caribbean are subject to heat and humidity year round and so the higher aged years rums have the potential to be woody. 12-15 years on average is a good time frame for sipping rum. Now there are some rums, like Zacapa 23, that get special handling and age very well without getting too much wood. Like PVW 20 year does for bourbon.

YMMV

One thing to remember on barrel aging, the hotter the climate, the faster a spirit will take on the flavors that the wood imparts. That is why Scotch can rest in the barrel for 40 years and be good (been to Scotland? It's friggin cold!) where the sweet spot with bourbon is from 12-18 years depending on conditions. (Hot and muggy Kentucky summers anyone?)

So rums aged in the Caribbean are subject to heat and humidity year round and so the higher aged years rums have the potential to be woody. 12-15 years on average is a good time frame for sipping rum. Now there are some rums, like Zacapa 23, that get special handling and age very well without getting too much wood. Like PVW 20 year does for bourbon.

YMMV

I think I should elaborate on this a little.

When stating age on the label, like say a bourbon saying "aged 8 years" or perhaps "12 years old" then legally, what that means is the youngest juice in the bottle is 8 or 12 respectfully. They can mix older with the younger (which happens all the time) but must state the younger age. With other booze, especially rum, advertising notes and even what's on the label is misleading. On the Flor de Cana for instance, it only says "18". Not "18 years old". Same with the Zacapa 23 I mentioned. It is not all 23 years old and is misleading. Buy it for the flavor... not because you were led to believe it is juice that old. It isn't. At least not wholly. And yes, they do break some laws. But no one seems that interested in enforcing them. Still, buy for what you enjoy and nothing else. Be an informed consumer.

Reactions: DaveinCO
I completely agree with you on this. Compare Blanton's side by side with Elijah Craig small batch too.

The EC, McKenna BiB, and Eagle Rare are my every day drinkers.
Thanks for the reminder about EC small batch, my corner LQ store doesn't stock it but I got a bottle and we are getting reaquainted.
I do reccomend it, not too much of anything, just a nice straight sipper.

I tried the Angels Envy as well. It sucked, and sucked again for how expensive it is. I would rather buy Woodford Reserve at costco for half the price if I'm going to not love it anyway.

image.jpg

You know the worst thing about Angels Envy?

The fucking bottle.

John Wayne never uncorked as gay a bottle at any bar.

I feel like I should be sucking cocks while pouring out of that container.

Round, waisted or no taper, with a cork as it should be.

Reactions: jego
View attachment 7124023

You know the worst thing about Angels Envy?

The fucking bottle.

John Wayne never uncorked as gay a bottle at any bar.

I feel like I should be sucking cocks while pouring out of that container.

Round, waisted or no taper, with a cork as it should be.
The biggest problem I see is watered down bourbon! If you like it on the rocks get a set of whiskey stones, if you want to add a splash of water do so but it will be controlled and consistent.

Edit:
And yeah that bottle is Ghey.

Reactions: graydog1
The biggest problem I see is watered down bourbon! If you like it on the rocks get a set of whiskey stones, if you want to add a splash of water do so but it will be controlled and consistent.

Edit:
And yeah that bottle is Ghey.

Im just getting into this as a replacement for my usually carb laden drinks.

I dont mind the cool, cool water....

Reactions: DaveinCO
Need to buy a bottle of something for sipping on vacation next week.

New to the whiskey/bourbon game.

Others I have imbibed upon include Balvenie Carribean Cask, Angels Envy Woodford Reserve, and some local produced in Massachusetts stuff that wasnt bad.

Some of this stuff is pretty pricey. Not looking to be a $45 a week sipper.

Friend suggested Makers Mark.

Good sipping?

Others I have imbibed upon include Balvenie Carribean Cask, Angels Envy Woodford Reserve, and some local produced in Massachusetts stuff that wasnt bad.

Good sipping?
Eagle Rare, if too pricey go with Buffalo Trace, they are distilled at the same place, just different time, grades...

Reactions: pmclaine
@pmclaine

Do you like bourbon or single malt better?
Also a couple irish whiskeys arent too bad for sipping.

Affordable decent bourbons: Kirkland (1L bottle is $30) buffalo trace, bulleit, 4 roses, i think woodfords isnt too pricey. Blantons.
Not a fan of makers for sipping.
Single malt: not really under $45 depending on the volume you drink.
Most stuff from Macallans is good and have found a couple for a good bargain at costco.

Try Toulimore Dew (sp). Pretty smooth irish and easy to sip.

Gonna have a sip if bourbon right now! You made me thirsty.

Think I'll go
@pmclaine

Do you like bourbon or single malt better?
Also a couple irish whiskeys arent too bad for sipping.

Affordable decent bourbons: Kirkland (1L bottle is $30) buffalo trace, bulleit, 4 roses, i think woodfords isnt too pricey. Blantons.
Not a fan of makers for sipping.
Single malt: not really under $45 depending on the volume you drink.
Most stuff from Macallans is good and have found a couple for a good bargain at costco.

Try Toulimore Dew (sp). Pretty smooth irish and easy to sip.

Gonna have a sip if bourbon right now! You made me thirsty.

I don't really know what I like until I know what I like.

Think I'll try they Buffalo Trace, frequent recommendations and bottle looks cool.

I'll be looking forward to a tipple next week while on the Cape of Cod.

Which one goes with me on vacation and which one stays home to be available on return from vacation?

image.jpg

Reactions: lash
Take both.

You can always get more later.

:devilish::devilish::devilish:

Yeah want to leave the option for resupply open if needed and it will give me a reason to check out a liquor store while away......

Gonna hit one of these tonight to accompany the burgers and the luggage packing.

Thinking it will be the Bulleit.

Reactions: lash

Good sipping?
No! Much better out there than Makers swill. It's only a step above Kessler or I.W. Harper.
Angel's Envy and Woodford also not great choices.
That said, everyone has their own palate and unique taste profile that suits them. If you like something regardless of price or reputation, rock on. There's a reason Jack Daniels sells so much.

So a good quality middle of the road starter at a reasonable price is Elijah Craig small batch. At 94 proof, not too hot but still a great profile. Eagle Rare is another choice. If you prefer a little more spice, Four Roses small batch. If you prefer a little smoother and sweeter, Larceny. Larceny is what Makers should be but isn't.