• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes What base and rings for light weight hunting rifle

justintimesc

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2010
South Carolina
I'm looking for my the best base and rings for my newly built hunting rifle. I'm looking for something high quality and lightweight. I was thinking about leupold 2 piece base or one piece base, with leupold rings? Anything out there better for the application? Action is a remington 700 scope is a leupold with 30mm tube.

Re: What base and rings for light weight hunting rifle

I really like the Leupold PRW rings. They are the best I have used for the money.

Take a look at Talley Rings for a hunting rifle. They are very high quality and have never shifted zero on a 300wsm, 300Weatherby or a 30-378Weatherby. Hope this Helps.

Chris

Seekins are very nice and very light. I'd take a look at them.

The lightest rings I own are actually some cheap leupold rifleman vertical split rings, only about $15 but they have withstood my 300WSM easily. They feel practically weightless in my hand and are noticeably lighter than my Burris signatures and my Burris XTR rings. If weight is the only factor to consider, go with the leupold rifleman rings, but I would spend a lot more and get some durable rings, in the long run rings and bases don't add nearly as much weight as anything else.

3.5oz, base and mount all wrapped up into a one piece, tuff as nails mount from DNZ. Well-made and made in the USA

006-3.jpg

Some call them ugly, but there is beauty in function.

Integrated-Scope-Mount-System-MID-123187-m.jpg

The Talley 2 piece mounts with integral rings are the lightest system I have found.

But if you build a rifle and are willing to pay $10 for every ounce you save, the rings and mounts are not going to be a big part of total.

i'm looking at nightforce rings and 20 moa base now for my next 30 mm scope to go on a winchester 70

they ain't cheap but the rings are lightweight and the base appears to be of the highest quality

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnnyappleseed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i'm looking at nightforce rings and 20 moa base now for my next 30 mm scope to go on a winchester 70

they ain't cheap but the rings are lightweight and the base appears to be of the highest quality </div></div>

I have several bases and rings from NF...never have had a complaint. Really like their alloy rings...light and high quality. The only other option that I've been as happy with is from Ken Farrell....his stuff is really good! Might also consider checking him out?

Wayne

When I changed my scope to a 30 on my 7mmRM I went with Leupys. I like the rounded lines, and more traditional look.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3.5oz, base and mount all wrapped up into a one piece, tuff as nails mount from DNZ. Well-made and made in the USA

006-3.jpg

</div></div>

+1

The NF Ultra Lights are my favorite rings. Quality is excellent, they're low profile, and most of the edges are rounded. Heft them with a pair of Mark 4's and you'll be stunned.

NF's one piece bases are heavy though. Good quality, but heavy. If staying with NF products, their two piece base is a better option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3.5oz, base and mount all wrapped up into a one piece, tuff as nails mount from DNZ. Well-made and made in the USA

006-3.jpg

</div></div>

I also have the 30MM DNZ mount/rings on my L/H Tikka T-3 in .270 Winchester. Very happy with them. Great for a lightweight hunting rifle

Nightforce Ultra lights and EGW alloy base is fairly light setup and works well for two of my rifles.

Leupold Dual Dovetail is bombproof and light.

Leupold Quick Release QR system with side lever on base release is also excellent. Maybe you want to use 2 scopes on same rifle? QR is a great solution and very elegant.

Weaver Steel Mounts and TPS Tactical rings for Weaver slots is another great solution. Warne rings and Burris Zee rings also are excellent.

If you want a +moa base, you can shim your rear base with brass .05" thick sheet material. Cuts and perforates easily.

Also like the Warne Weaver style bases for Rem 700 as they are lower profile than the Weaver Steel base. Weaver or Warne base set plus Zee rings is an under $50 solution and very solid.

TPS Alloys are plenty light and stout. Working well on my 300 Ultra and WSM.

Another vote for Talley. Well made, nice looking, and the best customer service I've ever experienced.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DerMeister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seekins are very nice and very light. I'd take a look at them.</div></div>

+1 Seekins are high quality but light as they are aluminum. Check them out.

For a lt wt hunting rifle, take a look at S&K rings and bases. I've used them on more than one lite rifle including a Kimber 300 wsm with no problems.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to go with the talley rings. Because not only do they look nice and seem well made, but there also made in SC. I didn't know that. Thanks for the help.

Good choice, and their customer service is outstanding.

You'll be very happy. They fit well and have 4 screws per ring cap which I really like.

I also really like the fact that you lose the interface between a ring and a base. That's one more thing you don't have to worry about coming loose or simply being a variable in the equation.