• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing What boresight do you use

Ferryman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2009
UK
I have an old Nikko boresight 1980's era I also have the Laser Devices Laser Borelight.

Just interested to know what others use.

Re: What boresight do you use

I bought a bushnell, but sent it back because it was pointless to have. Paper at 25 yds is my boresighter now.

piece of paper with a dot on it, and about 50 yards of distance, laid out here (shorter distance used for demonstration purposes):

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1560808&gonew=1#UNREAD

while i'm there, might as well make crosshairs absolutely level during the mounting process:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1560804#Post1560804

doing both at 50 yards usually get me within 4" or less and hitting a 1"-2" spot within 5 rounds or less.

of course, with a bolt action.

with a lever or pump it's tough withuot using some sort of bore light and / or mirror to look down the chamber / bore to either see the spot, or cast a light through the bore onto the paper. usually with a pump or lever, it's tougher to do it without a lazer boresighter, and usually have to use more rounds at 50 yards.

270092216eOQEXU_fs.jpg

Save your money and just either look down the bore or set a target at 25yds like said above. Just remember that low at 25yds could be high at 100 depending on what you are shooting. Best to just get it centered and then if you know the ballistics of what you are shooting, get on paper at 100yds from there.

Mike

Mk. 1 eyeball at 100 yds. or less for something where I can look down the bore. If not, start close, shoot; adjust sight towards resulting group center while maintaining original sight picture. Repeat as you move out to desired range.

HTH,
DocB

Agree with the looking through the bore. On rifles I can't do that with (m1a, AR platforms) I use a NRA pistol silhouette target stapled with the silhouette facing the backer - basically just a really large sheet of paper at 25 yards.
Then I get the scope sighted in at that range and move to 50 with a regular sight in target and move on out in range from there.

Usually able to get the scope to 100 on paper for zeroing with less than 5 shots for the rifles I can't sight through.

Haven't seen the need for a laser boresight yet, and I am sure you have seen the pictures of blown up barrels from accidently leaving the bore sight in.

madd0c

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: madd0c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agree with the looking through the bore. On rifles I can't do that with (m1a, AR platforms)
madd0c</div></div>

You can most definitely look down the bore on an AR. Just pull the rear pin, pull out the bolt carrier and look thru. Helps to put it in a vice. Then just make your scope adjustments as usual.

palmik,
I know you can look through the AR platform, I just can't figure out how to keep it steady while pulling the rear pin, sighting in, then closing the upper/lower and then sighting the scope. I guess I could bring a gunvise to the range and just use the upper, but a big piece of paper is alot lighter
smile.gif

Oh, and those optical arbor sights do seem like a nice piece of gear.

madd0c

Why do you have to close the upper/lower to sight the scope.

Take the upper completely off my lower, scope already mounted.

I had a bipod on the front and I put a big sandbag under the rear.

I looked down the barrel and then up through the scope, make the necessary adjustments until the crosshairs pointed and what the barrel was pointed at.

Clip the upper and lower back together, on paper at 100 yards.

Hi Madd0c

I have the LDI laserbore sight as we are UK distributors and yes to my knowledge a certaing Govt depart have fired 3 of them down range (But good for repeat sales)

"Eyeball" bore sight!

Been using the eyeball method for over 40 years and it has never failed. Have a paper plate on the back fence with a big X at ~ 60ft. I'm usually within 2 MOA.

ktdLS7

I like the eyeball method as well, tried the "Super duper see it at 100yds laser" and that aint all its cracked up to be. But that little laser is handy for setting up the chronograph, just put in the bore, turn it on and use a clip board or something to locate it through the screens and viola you know exactly where the rounds are passing through.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-Zero-Point-Magnetic-Boresighter-P3376.aspx

2005-04-28_143743_Zero_Point_Boresighter.jpg

After63thouverticallyand41thouhoriz.jpg

Here is a pic I took looking through a 13X scope with target dot reticle. The graduations are for 100 yards, but the bore sighter usually gets used at 50 yards, so divide by two.

The magnetic base works on Stainless Steel barrels.

Some guns have beat up crowns or some other problem, but most rifles shoot very close to the Leupold bore sighter prediction. I still shoot at 50 yards first, so that is no great advantage over bore sighting with my eye looking down the bore.
But doing gunsmithing on rifles at night, it is often hard to bore sight by eye for glassing scope mounts.
The good bore sighter allows me to work at night.
AND the lever action rifles benefit greatly from the bore sighter.

The Leupold Bore Sighters work well. It takes a little practice but you can be on paper at 100 yds and only use a few rounds to zero once you get the hang of it.

Believe it or not, I do it the way they taught me in Tank Gunnery School....I pull the bolt out of my AR-15, or Savage tactical bolt action and set the target out at 25 yards...Then looking through the barrel dead center, I locate the target and center it through the barrel... Then set my sights on the target and recheck everything several times to ensure a first round hit...It works 99% of the time on one shot...Then set the target at 100 yards and click into the X ring...Dirt simple, cheap, and fun to learn for the field when MURPHY gets in the middle of things~!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11D20</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Believe it or not, I do it the way they taught me in Tank Gunnery School....I pull the bolt out of my AR-15, or Savage tactical bolt action and set the target out at 25 yards...Then looking through the barrel dead center, I locate the target and center it through the barrel... Then set my sights on the target and recheck everything several times to ensure a first round hit...It works 99% of the time on one shot...Then set the target at 100 yards and click into the X ring...Dirt simple, cheap, and fun to learn for the field when MURPHY gets in the middle of things~! </div></div>

Exactly.

And...if you have a dentist...get him to give/sell you one of the little intra-oral mirrors. It is a front surface so no double reflections. Stick that into your M1A receiver and look down the barrel. No problems. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11D20</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Believe it or not, I do it the way they taught me in Tank Gunnery School....I pull the bolt out of my AR-15, or Savage tactical bolt action and set the target out at 25 yards...Then looking through the barrel dead center, I locate the target and center it through the barrel... Then set my sights on the target and recheck everything several times to ensure a first round hit...It works 99% of the time on one shot...Then set the target at 100 yards and click into the X ring...Dirt simple, cheap, and fun to learn for the field when MURPHY gets in the middle of things~!</div></div>

Yes, this is the way I tell everyone to do it. Forget the laser boresighters and the Leupold thingy. Save your dough and look down the bore. Unless you have an M1a of course.

I have a joint at the PC in the curbline down the street that is exactly 100yds from the corner of my garage.....
Closest I get to stalking is laying there bolt out getting my scopes close.

Once at the range I pick a spot on the berm and let fly-watch spash-adjust scope accordingly, then go to paper.

Yep I prefer the eyeball method for bolt guns, it's cheaper, doesn't require remembering to bring tools etc., and I hate the idea of sticking something in the barrel. In fact after a little practice you can usually get on the paper at 100 yards first try, but I usually start at 50 anyway.

For those guns I can't see down (mirror is a great trick!) I usually just start at 25 yards with a big 18-24" target. If it's not on a target that big at 25 yards you have bigger problems! A pop can or berm will at least provide feedback if it is off that far. If you are dead on at 25 yards you will be on the paper at 100 with most calibers.

Another use for the Bushnell Bore Sighter is recording your actual scope setting. After gun is sighted I use my Bushnell to record where the cross-hairs are set and record the setting. If I have to disassemble the scope/rings for any reason I use this setting to set it back on target before going to the range. I started taking digital photos of the setting and keeping it on the computer because it makes it faster to find.

Reactions: aku

+1 for looking down the barrel I do it wile im still at home
put rifle in vice and line up on distant target (nail on nabours roof)
get bore sighted and go to range for final sighting in

+ 1 on the Leupold magnetic boresighter. Theyre the easiest at home, ready for the range you can get IMHO-

Nice collimator grid on that Leupold.

Think you guys are missing the point, a boresight tool with grid collimator is a diagnostics tool as well.

Not so much about "getting on paper". More important is being able to align your reticle with precision and also (if you keep a logbook), swap scopes between rifles.

The diagnostics are most critical though. Think your scope is problematic? Test it with a box test. Test reticle movements etc. The Bushnell 74-3333 or others that use bore spuds are going to return to same point each time you use it in a particular rifle.

Cannot imagine not having a Bushnell 74-3333 tool to setup and maintain/diagnose scopesight matters for my shooting purposes.