• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What did you use to paint your rifle?

Rattle can, Krylon. Holding up really well thus far. I did use several coats of clearcoat on the barrel action and chassis.

Attachments

• 0209131214.jpg
    0209131214.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 95
Duracoat and webbing in a spray can. Since it's the DIY forum, a couple of custm handguards as well.
300blkbolt003_zpseeb1917e.jpg

salestuff001.jpg

salegunsandstuff019_zps807d0a79.jpg

Last edited:
Krylon works fine. But several layers of clearcoat makes it way, way, way more durable.

When using spray paint use Bulldog Adhesion Promoter as a basecoat and it will hold up much better.

Rattle can has held up for me on several rifles(4)......make sure its clean before you paint...of course.....another good tip is heat the (paint) can up to about 90 degrees for 5 minutes or so(boiled water works the best)...apply multiply thins coats for best results.

Has anyone used sponges to apply paint. I'm thinking of doing a camo pattern on a Boyd's tacticool stock. I plan using khaki for the base coat and then using black, green, and brown with the sponges.

I used the khaki as a base coat, then the green and brown to give it the camo. Used the "ultra cover" as a finish it hardened the paint and doesn't scratch off, worked very well.

20sxel4.jpg

2v3kbvl.jpg

351wnyd.jpg

2h2e2c7.jpg

Attachments

• image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
engine primer and header paint, probably krylon, but i should have used more clear coat.
the black areas are original finish.IMAG0501 (640x317).jpgIMAG0503 (640x376).jpg

That looks pretty sweet komishe!
I did my stock in a Khaki the other night, and I like how it looks. I kind of don't want to go any further lol. If I decide to do the sponge camo I' am going to doing bigger blotches of color. Think a GAP camo pattern with sponges instead of stencils, if that makes any sense.

Komishe, your rifle is exactly the pattern I'm going for. Mind if I ask what colors of Rustoleum you used on yours? Did you just do a base coat and then sponge all over or did you do a couple of contrast lines before you sponged?

Cereakoat base of green, Krylon over that. Allows me to change the pattern/colors

For sure. It is possible, JRN shows the good kinda sponges for that in the tutorial.

Find a BB or airsoft gone to get your pattern perfected to your liking. My GF's pellet gun is on coat#5:0)

RustOleum camo colors-
I used:Khaki base coat,Army green stripes, accents of flat black and Foliage green
If I was to do it over, I might omit the little foliage green. Just to make it look a bit less bird-shitty lol

+1 for cerakote base coat with paint patterns over that

I haven't used rattle cans since setting up my cerakote booth, but I like the Idea of changing camo to match environment.

I am a big fan of the ultra flat Krylon camo by itself. Reason I use this is that it can be easily removed if you need to adapt a pattern for different areas and the lack of sheen on the finished product is a big +1 in my book.

Krylon guy here. First the stencil, then the gun.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 71
I have used both rattle can and an airbrush with dura-coat. The rattle can is nice and quick and easy to remove/change like people have said another option for removable camo is something like the foam camo tape or a ghillie wrap.

if you want a "tacticool" rifle then you can use and spray paint and clear coat you want. In my opinion clear coat makes it shiny and then if it is shiny what the hell was the point of making it camo? if you want a practical paint job then just make sure it is a flat color. Krylon camo colors have worked well for me and don't scratch too bad, if they do scratch it only adds to the design which the sole purpose is to break up the outline and blend it into the surrounding environment.

Finally got around to finishing up the paint on my Savage rimfire. I did the khaki base coat a few weeks ago. Then got out the sponges and some Rustoleum green, and dark brown. Pretty happy with the results.

photo-26.jpg

Edit...some pics with much better lighting....

photo-28.jpg

photo-27.jpg

Last edited:
Krylon here. Khaki, Brown and Green with clear coat at end.

Last edited:
Sea Sponges and some old rags will get you the ATACS effect. You need to play with it a bit to get the true pattern down and of course find the appropriate colors but applying with sponges is not a problem.

Ok so I started to sponge my stock today I got my tan bace cote on and I got my black spray paint took a cup and sprayed the black paint in the cup till I had a pool of black paint to dip my sponge in well I pulled the sponge out and it was very runny like water and tried to sponge stock and it just run down like water like the paint was very deluded with paint thiner it would not go on I guess it needs to be spray on paper plate instead of cup

I use face camo that comes in a makeup looking little compact. It is very tactical to camo up your rifle and face at the same time. Sometimes I use ashes out of a fire in a pinch, and once every great while when me embers have died out in the rain and my camo compact is empty, I have to rub my own feces all over my rifle. The flies really blend you in to your surroundings when out on snipery manuevers.

I really like mscott's paint job. I am however quite hesitant to try to replicate on my own...

I've used Krylon on 2 of my firearms and cant complain. I just recently repainted my 870 after this year's turkey season. The paint is pretty durable but if youre out in the rough its going to get scratched up. Just repaint it as needed.

I like Rustoleum as it holds up well enough and is very flat if you don't spray it on to thick.

gei5aESl.jpg

eE3bhCcl.jpg

Base coat rattle can, then brushes.

uploadfromtaptalk1370917711088.jpg

This was on my Mossberg 715T 22lr.

Took the stock off and added single point sling.

Rootbrain