• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What do I do now?

Here's my advice. Sell the rifle and cut your losses because it's been bad luck to you.

I stand by my original post, all of it.

I guess I'm just a bit dense today.....why in the world would the OP want to sell this gun insofar as; 1) the gun ain't right so why try to stick someone else with it and, 2) He has already gotten a .308 barrel shipped from Mike at TacOps (chambered, I suspect) to SAC who is building a new gun for him basically from scratch....using a Surgeon action, I think (but may recollect this incorrectly).

You can stand by it all you want.....it still doesn't make any sense to me.

Cheers

Maybe he was standing by the divorce part! He may have a point there!

Hey guys, I haven't read any of the 200+ response thread but obviously the OP should do X, Y, and Z because it's obviously not going to be taken care of by anyone at any point.

These fucking guys...

Actually, had you taken a bit more time, you would have read that, indeed, it IS getting taken care of.

Reading....something my granddaughter wants oh so bad to do. Yet grown men are too fucking lazy to do!

Hey guys, I haven't read any of the 200+ response thread but obviously the OP should do X, Y, and Z because it's obviously not going to be taken care of by anyone at any point.

These fucking guys...
Actually, had you taken a bit more time, you would have read that, indeed, it IS getting taken care of.

Reading....something my granddaughter wants oh so bad to do. Yet grown men are too fucking lazy to do!
Pretty sure @jtackmann is making fun of the idiots coming in and not reading.

Are the take off barrels for sale?

7A46C848-B0A8-430E-BA6B-ACF702488886.png

This may turn out to be one of the most interesting rifle builds in history. If you go to a great builder, he builds you a rifle and it shoots lights out what kind of story does that give you? This is going to be story to tell.

Reactions: SamsonSimpson
I'm pretty sure I could help you if you pay shipping both ways ;)I'll put my lab coat on and roll up my sleeves :) I have a few idea's what it might be but what would I know ?

Mike R.
This right here. The 308 guru speaks. I’d be packing that rifle as quick as I could

This thread was somebody’s wet dream they finally got to show everyone.

EVERYONE BURN YOUR IMPACTS!!!!

Lmao
Is that what you got out of this? Everyone turns out a defective product once in a while. Nowhere did I see on this thread where anyone has even hinted at what you claim.

Unless you're just joking.

Is that what you got out of this? Everyone turns out a defective product once in a while. Nowhere did I see on this thread where anyone has even hinted at what you claim.

Unless you're just joking.
I think the “lmao” is indicative of his joking

• Haha
Reactions: ken226
Just spec'd out paint with Mark today. Black/midnight digital camo on the stock, Cerakote Titanium on the metal bits, with Cerakote Blackout on the accent pieces.

Quite excited to see how that color combo turns out.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
Shit, I finally got to the end...

I have three builds done by Mark. He was first class from the first to the last. Newfound respect for him here, though. I decided to have them do a build after a conversation 7 or 8 years ago that started over a TBAC thread protector and this gesture seems to echo the feeling I got from him then.

Never spoken to Mike, but I’d gladly give you my business as well.

Congrats, OP. Anxious to see how this turns out.

I am more anxious to find the root cause analysis.

And yes I plowed through the whole or is it hole thread?

Yes Sir we know that.

A little more detail will be necessary for a full explanation.

Kind of like your mechanic telling you the car will not start.

Action has been returned to manufacturer and full cost refunded. If Impact would like to dig into it and offer up their opinion/analysis, I'd love to know as well. It was originally sent back to them early in the process of tracking things down and it was returned shortly thereafter with a "within spec" and "shoots great" assessment from what I was told.

Unless that happens, like trying to figure out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll pop, the world may never know.

To put it in your terms, the mechanic told me the car would not start and when he called Ford about it, they bought the engine back from him so he could buy a new one from Chevy.

And yes Ford guys .. I did just go there.

Action has been returned to manufacturer and full cost refunded. If Impact would like to dig into it and offer up their opinion/analysis, I'd love to know as well. It was originally sent back to them early in the process of tracking things down and it was returned shortly thereafter with a "within spec" and "shoots great" assessment from what I was told.

Unless that happens, like trying to figure out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll pop, the world may never know.

To put it in your terms, the mechanic told me the car would not start and when he called Ford about it, they bought the engine back from him so he could buy a new one from Chevy.

And yes Ford guys .. I did just go there.

Good to know that everyone is getting you going, class acts with Marc and Mike. I imagine this new rifle will hammer. All this talk about 308 rifles and I realized I didn't have anything in 308 anymore. I cruised the px here, and found an AIAX mk1 with a 16.5" 308 bartlien wintac barrel. Snagged it for 3k and got to the range a couple days ago. Typical AI.....
20201020_072043.jpg

Last edited:
The internet is full of people with sub 1/2 moa rifles, but I dare you to go to the zero range at a PRS match and count how many groups you see under .5. It’s not many lol.

Honestly if I spend $6-7k on a rifle that shoots .5 I wouldn’t want it. .25 ehhhhhhh that’s always possible .....but in the zeros like Mike @ Tacops has been building is what folks pay for bedsides stellar customer service and a few other things

Honestly if I spend $6-7k on a rifle that shoots .5 I wouldn’t want it. .25 ehhhhhhh that’s always possible .....but in the zeros like Mike @ Tacops has been building is what folks pay for bedsides stellar customer service and a few other things

Ehh, nobody is shooting 0's consistently with a tactical rifle, certainly not with factory ammo. Out of maybe 20 barrels, I've had two that would shoot a 5x5 in the .1's. Most tend to be .2's-.3's, and with factory ammo I haven't had one that was less than .3's. Expecting .2's or better, consistently, with all factory ammo, is setting yourself up for major disappointment.

I've personally shot a Tac Ops rifle. It did not shoot 0's, in fact on average it was barely sub 1/2 moa, and with certain factory ammo it was not even a 1/2 moa rifle, more like barely sub moa. Really awesome build quality, but the accuracy was not any different than I'd expect from anything else.

These are legitimate .1s. One was only a 3x3 but that barrel would go .1s for 5 shots as well. One charge weight on the barrel that shot a .18-.19 average 5x5 was in the high .2s. These were also shot on absolutely perfect days, with cool dry air and zero wind. I feel like it’s absolutely nuts to expect this result day in and day out, much less believe it’s possible with literally every rifle that comes out of a shop, with non hand loaded ammo, non sorted bullets and brass, etc.

Now should they all shoot .5 moa with tuned ammo? Yes. Factory ammo is a bit of a stretch, but yes most should. All bets are off once you start talking .2s. You’re at the mercy of the barrel blank, which is as much about luck as it is anything.

Attachments

• 1F5B6F77-B3CC-44CD-A3D7-FEBAAC1A0A5F.jpeg
    1F5B6F77-B3CC-44CD-A3D7-FEBAAC1A0A5F.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 374D7C83-5819-4D57-AA48-D40C57DFDC69.jpeg
    374D7C83-5819-4D57-AA48-D40C57DFDC69.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
No one is shooting in the 0s, on command, with a bipod/rear bag and factory ammo. I dont care who built the rifle. Can a rifle shoot that good, in a machine rest without human error , probably. With human factor, factory ammo and on demand, nope. In the .0s on demand is 6ppc tuned br rig in a Farley coax and 15lb bumble bee bag.....in other words, a long way from a tac rifle off bipod and rear bean bag and factory ammo.

No one is shooting in the 0s, on command, with a bipod/rear bag and factory ammo. I dont care who built the rifle. Can a rifle shoot that good, in a machine rest without human error , probably. With human factor, factory ammo and on demand, nope. In the .0s on demand is 6ppc tuned br rig in a Farley coax and 15lb bumble bee bag.....in other words, a long way from a tac rifle off bipod and rear bean bag and factory ammo.
100%. Internet folklore travels quickly lol.

So after making my way thru all of this, and maybe I missed it, but I'm wondering if the original and second barrels were chambered with the same reamer.

I've personally shot a Tac Ops rifle. It did not shoot 0's, in fact on average it was barely sub 1/2 moa, and with certain factory ammo it was not even a 1/2 moa rifle, more like barely sub moa.
All that presumes that you can shoot in the 1s or better on command.

Such a wonderful story re two builders working together. I had never researched Mike nor his rifles, but once I did, it seems he and his rifles are clearly in a category by themselves...or at least they are to some. As a result, Mike and I talked extensively the other night and I walked away even more impressed. Hopefully, I'll commission Mike to build me one of his Masterpiece rifles one day soon...I do have a Remington action ready to travel to Beverly Hills, but I'll need to sell a couple of .308's first. Great thread.

Reactions: SamsonSimpson
All that presumes that you can shoot in the 1s or better on command.

Most rifles / barrels are not ever capable of 0s and 1s consistently, and even then there is a small and finite window in which the ones that can, will. Not every blank is created equal, and no magic reamer design or other “special process” is going to change that.