• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What does it mean when shooting at 400 plus yards ?? Set the the dial 6.4

How about a complete post with a question. Might be easier to help.

it means click you scope 64 times if mils

If I was to take a wild guess, you had a guy spotting for you and you were 6.4 mils off

Last edited:
If you were driving up the side of a mountain in a canoe and one of the wheels fell off, how many pancakes would it take to cover the side of a doghouse? 6.4?

Set the the dial 6.4

Ok I got this one. So when you have your axial motivator elevated to 6.00 for 375 yards then you need to bring it up another 0.4 feebars so your total feebar scale is numerated to 6.40. Now it's important to remember when you make any optical adjustment above the equator you have to do so with your right hand, left hand for Australia/NZ etc. Ok, hope this helps, good luck!

:) really hard to tell without more info?

Where can I learn or read about long range shooting and scope adjustment? I have the mildot master calculator card but I have no idea how to adjust for different ranges would like to learn more about it.

I wasn't being a dick but it seems like lately new guys are coming in with posts like this and not making it easy to help them. Any new member reading this think about what you want to ask and do it in full sentences and questions. Help us, help you.

Set the the dial 6.4

Well, it depends on what you are shooting, and how far the distance was. How far were you shooting? If you are shooting a 25-06 or some flat zhooting round then 6.4 would have meant dial 6.4 moa on your scope. You already said your scope adjustments are 1/4 inch at 100 yards. Your scope has moa adjustments. Turn your dial 4 clicks. That represents 1 inch at 100 yards, which is roughly 1 moa. If someone said 6.4 they meant 6.4 moa. The closest you can get to that would be 6.5 moa. Tbis would be 26 clicks on your scope if you have a 100 yard zero. That would be good for 400 yds or so for a flat shooting, high velocity rifle.
J

Rob01 you were fine. This is the first time I've ever posted anything on a forum like this.
I was watching tac tv and they were shooting the 308 bolt vs semi and the spotter was calling out different dial marks. He was saying 4.3 and 18.6 just wondering what they meant. I have been wanting to learn more about long range shooting.

What scope measures in mils?

I have a millet 4x16x50 mildot scope that is 1/4" moa

Lots of scopes have mil turrets these day, from low end up to the best scopes you can buy. The spotter was probably calling out comeups. 18.6 mils (if that is in fact what the spotter was referring to) is for a target a long ways away, unless your shooting a really slow, heavy bullet.

6.4? Man, whatever bullet he is shooting to 400 yards sure is slow if this is mils.

If this is MOA, how does one do a .4 when each click is .25?

Nah, I'm sure it was 6.4 MOA for 400 yards. To answer the OP's question, if you were watching this on a show they may have been using a ballistics calculator to come to that value. Since most MOA turrets are .25 MOA per click the shooter would dial 6.5 MOA and hold under a bit.
Be careful about the difference between 1/4"@100yds per click and 1/4 MOA per click. There is a difference. Not significant at 100 yards but can get you in trouble if you confuse the two

Dude, you need to start at the basics. Start off with the "FAQs" at the top of the first page in the Optics and Bolt Action forums and start reading one thread after another. Then go here, follow the steps to sign up, and start watching: Accessing Training

Once you're done there, go into the "Link Up" section and find someone in your area willing to shoot and mentor you, and filling out your profile will help others know where you're at. Rock that for a while, maybe try some local competitions and whatnot, then move on to professional training. It's all a building process.

Good info for the new guy. Lot's of good info here on all types of subjects. Rocky start, with happy ending. I love happy endings.