• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is happening?

Centerfire01

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2019
I first really emersed myself in reloading during the sandy hook fiasco and to say the least that pales in comparison to our issues currently. I assume we all believed the market would have reset or somewhat normalized by now. I just got word that primers are going to double in msrp locally at sportsmans warehouse. Is this the new norm or will prices eventually reset? Has panic buying and hoarding by non reloaders without actual jobs charging a $1000 for 8lbs of powder caused manufacturers to reassess what people are willing to pay? I'm at a point that I'm going to start buying factory ammo as component prices are much cheaper when you factor in time. While I understand this is all conjecture, what say yall?

Reactions: rottenruger
Yeah, this has been pretty crazy. In a few months it'll have been two years ago when this shortage started.

I'm hoping that when the shortage settles down that prices will come down some. I don't think they'll go back to pre-shortage levels though.

When I started doing higher volume pistol reloading in the early 2000's I was paying $14 for 1000 primers. Pretty crazy.

• Wow
Reactions: AXEFORCE6
As far as I know there are two primary drivers to supply and prices. One is supply chain shortages in general as we all have seen the parking lot of ships waiting to be unloaded out in the Pacific, shortage of truck drivers and shortage of employees that want to work. This is essentially a worldwide transportation problem.

Second is the component hoarding based on fear, combined with gougers that buy in bulk knowing that they can contribute to the shortage and drive prices up and therefore turn a profit. I hate to say it but many of the latter are directly employed in the firearms industry and have connections where they can buy at a discount. They have first hand knowledge of shipment arrivals so they can plunder the goods first and then sell on the side for a profit.

On another note Sierra and Berger changed hands in the last couple of years with significant internal changes. Not sure how much, if any, these changes effected their manufacturing but I find it hard to believe that it helped.

Just my take on the problem.

Problem is that right now, every part of the process to make things has gone up. Raw materials, transportation, energy to run things, worker shortages causing business to pay more to keep people working.

Its a damn shame our government can’t take steps to get its budget under control instead of blasting more and more trillions into the debt side of the ledger.

As far as I know there are two primary drivers to supply and prices. One is supply chain shortages in general as we all have seen the parking lot of ships waiting to be unloaded out in the Pacific, shortage of truck drivers and shortage of employees that want to work. This is essentially a worldwide transportation problem.

Second is the component hoarding based on fear, combined with gougers that buy in bulk knowing that they can contribute to the shortage and drive prices up and therefore turn a profit. I hate to say it but many of the latter are directly employed in the firearms industry and have connections where they can buy at a discount. They have first hand knowledge of shipment arrivals so they can plunder the goods first and then sell on the side for a profit.

On another note Sierra and Berger changed hands in the last couple of years with significant internal changes. Not sure how much, if any, these changes effected their manufacturing but I find it hard to believe that it helped.

Hah!

I just stopped at the cabelas in SC on my way up from Florida. The guy behind the counter in the firearms dept was wearing a nice Omega. 🤔

• Wow
Reactions: Kalthoff
Is the 100th thread on reloading components supply scarcity and increasing prices?

If not, and we haven’t gone over, are we getting close?

The goal is to make 100 separate topics/threads on the exact same thing…Time is running out, already into the second full week of December.

Yawn.

Have you seen the prices of factory ammo

Is the 100th thread on reloading components supply scarcity and increasing prices?

If not, and we haven’t gone over, are we getting close?

The goal is to make 100 separate topics/threads on the exact same thing…Time is running out, already into the second full week of December.

This sounds like someone is bitching that they haven’t been stocking up
Not really bitching I'm just running ow due to the fact I actually run my guns weekly unlike 75% of the hard dick dragon slayers on this forum. I'm sick of people panic buying 70lbs of powder that shoot their rifle 2 days a year. It's fucking stupid.

Not really bitching I'm just running ow due to the fact I actually run my guns weekly unlike 75% of the hard dick dragon slayers on this forum. I'm sick of people panic buying 70lbs of powder that shoot their rifle 2 days a year. It's fucking stupid.
I run mine as much as you do, weekly and often twice weekly. Its really the only thing i love doing.

I have had no problems as of late finding powder and primers locally for non-ass rape prices. I’ll occasionally get lucky with an online retailer, usually when randomly checking inventory at all the usual places. Most bullets are available, except for a handful of popular ones.

Panic buying is what it is (ex: toilet paper, early 2020). Just gotta stay ahead of the wave…

Had a bad feeling about 2020 election as far back as early 2018 so I started buying reloading supplies for everything I shoot in large quantities twice per month (8 lb jug of whatever that I need and was available here, there; 2-4 bricks of primers, etc). I grabbed bullets in bulk monthly or so. All this over the couse of ~20 months.

I sometimes bought/buy powder that I know is real popular but i dont use whenever the stuff I normally use wasn’t available at the time because i know i can trade it for shit i did/do need.

Supplies were cheap and plentiful back then, can’t believe more didn’t prepare (not saying that you personally did or didnt) but there’s generally a strong relationship between folks who start these kinds of threads and those who didn’t prep.

Things have definitely improved locally and online. Projectile availability is way up here. I seem primers and powder a few times a month, but not at prices I'm willing to pay. Online it seems like Midway and Brownells have stuff every week.

And the shortage hasn't been going on for 2 years for everything. I was able to place a large powder order at normal prices October 2020. My only regret was not buying more. Primers are the first to do in a scare and the last to come back, we will get there sooner than we think if everyone can just calm down. Prices won't go back to normal, but once demand drops they'll drop from current levels.

Things have definitely improved locally and online. Projectile availability is way up here. I seem primers and powder a few times a month, but not at prices I'm willing to pay. Online it seems like Midway and Brownells have stuff every week.

And the shortage hasn't been going on for 2 years for everything. I was able to place a large powder order at normal prices October 2020. My only regret was not buying more. Primers are the first to do in a scare and the last to come back, we will get there sooner than we think if everyone can just calm down. Prices won't go back to normal, but once demand drops they'll drop from current levels.
8 million new gun owners? and that number continues to rise daily, things will continue to be snapped up for quite some time with the current state of affairs, maybe for years. and like everything costing more today, don't expect prices to come down to much from the current state. I started preparing the first time this shit hit with obammer. Never quit. Now that i'm slowing down business wise in my older age, i'm shooting more than ever and know i can do so for many years to come even if i never buy another component. Like said above, components are hitting the shelves with more frequency but still vacate the shelves quickly

Reactions: LoCal247
8 million new gun owners? and that number continues to rise daily, things will continue to be snapped up for quite some time with the current state of affairs, maybe for years. and like everything costing more today, don't expect prices to come down to much from the current state. I started preparing the first time this shit hit with obammer. Never quit. Now that i'm slowing down business wise in my older age, i'm shooting more than ever and know i can do so for many years to come even if i never buy another component. Like said above, components are hitting the shelves with more frequency but still vacate the shelves quickly
Things have already gotten much better than they were. Local stores have 9mm and 5.56 in a few varieties every day. Lots of projectiles, maybe not exactly what you want, but a few options in all the common calibers. Every panic everyone says things will never go back to normal and they always have. There's more production now than ever, once people stop hoarding and demand waned things will get eve better. Powder valley has CCI #400 right now for $75/brick. They've been up for a few hours already, I'm calling that an improvement.

Things have already gotten much better than they were. Local stores have 9mm and 5.56 in a few varieties every day. Lots of projectiles, maybe not exactly what you want, but a few options in all the common calibers. Every panic everyone says things will never go back to normal and they always have. There's more production now than ever, once people stop hoarding and demand waned things will get eve better. Powder valley has CCI #400 right now for $75/brick. They've been up for a few hours already, I'm calling that an improvement.
add $36 for hazmat and shipping with a limit of 1, but at least they have some or did :)

I got an email from Midway yesterday informing me that Remington 6 1/2 primers are no longer available from them. ???

Reactions: Gunnn
Dm7MaI.gif

Reactions: The D
Guess you should have hoarded more a few years ago. You’ll get ‘em next time, slugger

Don’t really care what today’s price is.
I know the commies want to stop all online sales of anything related to firearms, and will require a background check and additional tax (like tobacco and alcohol) to buy through an FFL, as soon as they can manage it.
So I’m happy to pay “whatever” today, as the future is totally fucked.

I know the commies want to stop all online sales of anything related to firearms, and will require a background check and additional tax (like tobacco and alcohol) to buy through an FFL, as soon as they can manage it.
you get it

Remington probably discontinued them as the 7-1/2 will perform the same
function.
Maybe. The 7 1/2 is considered a magnum primer. The 6 1/2 is a standard. The email said only that they weren’t available from Midway, not that they were discontinued.

I got an email from Midway yesterday informing me that Remington 6 1/2 primers are no longer available from them. ???
Well Midway sucks anyway. I stopped buying from them years ago. One of the other sellers will start selling them.

Partially correct. They want to stop the sale of all firearms and related items, period. They dont give a shit what we have to pay.

ETA: I have been engaged in other hobbies during all this to save components and money. I am fearful that the overall trend with our chosen hobby/lifestyle/sport is going in the wrong direction.

I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Well Midway sucks anyway. I stopped buying from them years ago. One of the other sellers will start selling them.
I have notifications with everybody. Whether they suck or not. Hopefully someone has them soon. And everything else.

I have notifications with everybody. Whether they suck or not. Hopefully someone has them soon. And everything else.
Midway does not send out notifications on powder and primers.

Ya. You make it 6. By the time you get notified its out of stock. Thanks for playing though.
You said “they don’t send notifications on powder and primers”

Guess what ? They do.

Whether the product(s) are still in stock by time you log on and buy is a completely different matter. But the notifications are being sent.

You’re wrong, again…Take the L and move on, retard.

You said “they don’t send notifications on powder and primers”

Guess what ? They do.

Whether the product(s) are still in stock by time you log on and buy is a completely different matter. But the notifications are being sent.

You’re wrong, again…Take the L and move on, retard.
OK Karen. Whatever you say.

OK Karen. Whatever you say.
You would be better off deleting all your posts in this thread.

As of now, you have shown only a handful of people how stupid you really are.

But keep them up if you want everyone to know.

Reactions: LoCal247

oh yeah........I know of one gun shop where the popular powders dont make it to the shelves, the employees and their buddies never run out....

I first really emersed myself in reloading during the sandy hook fiasco and to say the least that pales in comparison to our issues currently. I assume we all believed the market would have reset or somewhat normalized by now. I just got word that primers are going to double in msrp locally at sportsmans warehouse. Is this the new norm or will prices eventually reset? Has panic buying and hoarding by non reloaders without actual jobs charging a $1000 for 8lbs of powder caused manufacturers to reassess what people are willing to pay? I'm at a point that I'm going to start buying factory ammo as component prices are much cheaper when you factor in time. While I understand this is all conjecture, what say yall?

If I could find the factory precision ammo at the prices I was finding it at in September of 2020, I'd buy it. I just buy what I need at this point when it comes to primers and powder. If we ever come out of this I would think they'll very easily get $40/1k for absolutely nothing in the way of technology or improvements.

What I find most interesting is that the only ammo in stock is for guns our "friends across the aisle" would ban. .30/06 hunting ammo is like $2.50 a round. If I could find .260 or 6.5CM from Berger in stock I'd probably die from the sticker shock.

The NRA and gun industry has spent every last cent for decades telling us how our firearms are soon to be taken away. And yet year after year the number of guns purchased and permits issued goes up, up, up. We are rubes for allowing them to create a constant, non-stop, panic, which just makes the prices for everything go up, up, up, and that was before the pandemic and supply side problems. I've been waiting for 30 years for prices of guns and ammo to come back down. Instead of investing in gold or stocks, I just should have bought ammo and primers it turns out.

Reactions: SanPatHogger
I live in the Houston area and ammo prices have become tolerable; 9mm $0.35 p/r, .223/5.56 $0.50 p/r, 40 S&W $0.55 p/r.

My carry gun is the 40 S&W which used to be in the 9mm range, sometimes less. Like most I’ve been trying to build inventory as much as my budget will allow.

The world is upside down, hopefully someone can right the ship.

I just picked up a few 1000 7 1/2s the other day for 61$ 1000 the 71/2s are Remingtons BR
Nice score….7-1/2’s are my favorite srp and are a wicked combo with LC brass, 25g of AA2520 and the 77smk. Basically a clone of mk262 mod1. I run it in all my ARs.

Just got this

564660A5-B0A1-49E0-8A69-BBAC22703D73.jpeg

…so, I guess they will have 6 1/2’s after all. 😜