• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is Reno Nevada like? (Update: Looking for a rental)

There isn't a home for sale for less than $1M near where my friends live in Minden.

Most cities have good and bad. If someone said "should I move to Atlanta" my first response would be hell, no. But there are decent places to live outside the city limits. Just costs a lot more. I'm about 40 minutes from the center of the city, and have worked from home since the 90's.

I live just down I80 from Reno, Gold Country.

Reno is definitely not what it used to be +30 years ago. Virgina St was the happening spot, Circus Circus and before Silver Legacy got put in.

Many a nights at the Peppermill to boot.

Now it's not a destination any more from Cali IMO, just another city that has lost it's roots to modern times. 'Tis a shame really.

On the outskirts off McCarran Dr there are still some pretty nice ranch style homes with some "decent" property/neighbors.

And new developments outside of Cabela's @ Verdi.

I lived in “Gold Country” area for years and miss it a lot. Too bad democrats found out about it and blew up the housing market.

My wife and I (European tourists) spent a day and a night in Reno a couple of years ago. The hotel was very nice for what we paid for it (central Reno). I made her spend time with me at a rental shooting range. They were staffed by extremely friendly and service-minded people. We had breakfast at some artsy cafe. A guy on the street was interested in our language. Friendly encounter.

No bad vibes from anybody, kind of a small town feeling overall. Easy traffic. A section of tall buildings in the city center but the rest of the city felt like somebody had poured out a bunch of houses out on the plains. Accessible and a lot of beautiful spots in the city centre. I would never dream of living in the SF Bay Area but Reno was cool and welcoming.

I can see why people would call it "dirty" or "white trash", but that just made me feel right at home ;)

I do distinctly remember driving down from the mountains and being greeted by absolutely giant and numerous billboards advertising whiskey and cannabis extracts. That was slightly concerning and made the GTA video game series seem like social realism rather than satire.

Reactions: CE1371
No bad vibes from anybody, kind of a small town feeling overall. Easy traffic. A section of tall buildings in the city center but the rest of the city felt like somebody had poured out a bunch of houses out on the plains. Accessible and a lot of beautiful spots in the city centre. I would never dream of living in the SF Bay Area but Reno was cool and welcoming.
I would agree, the best skiing spots in Tahoe are the ones closer to Reno, it gets a better crowd. The Cali side that gets Bay Area fuck-oh skater tards like Heavenly and North Star just suck a bag of dicks. Every time I have skied at Heavenly or Squaw Valley I felt like I want to rip someone's snowboard off their retarded legs.

Thanks for the help everybody but it seems like it might not happen. I spoke to HR. Apparently there are not many positions out there and it's unlikely that one would open up in the time frame I'm looking for.

Side note, still sounds better than Maryland. Not sure if I could afford it though.

I would agree, the best skiing spots in Tahoe are the ones closer to Reno, it gets a better crowd. The Cali side that gets Bay Area fuck-oh skater tards like Heavenly and North Star just suck a bag of dicks. Every time I have skied at Heavenly or Squaw Valley I felt like I want to rip someone's snowboard off their retarded legs.

I have gone to Squaw since the 90s. It used to be 42 bucks, then 64, then 86, now I don't even know. Still the same lifts and runs.

Sugar Bowl had "White Trash Wednesdays" that were half price, I'd skip out on high school and drive up there to ski/board for 18$. Now they want 121$.

Skiining/Snowboard has become another "fuck the poors" activity for the rich bay area yuppies.

I have gone to Squaw since the 90s. It used to be 42 bucks, then 64, then 86, now I don't even know. Still the same lifts and runs.

Sugar Bowl had "White Trash Wednesdays" that were half price, I'd skip out on high school and drive up there to ski/board for 18$. Now they want 121$.

Skiining/Snowboard has become another "fuck the poors" activity for the rich bay area yuppies.
$225 For my kid and I to ski one day at Sugar Bowl this last season just for one day. Of course that didn't include the $10 beers, Insane!

Reactions: BCP
Thanks for the help everybody but it seems like it might not happen. I spoke to HR. Apparently there are not many positions out there and it's unlikely that one would open up in the time frame I'm looking for.

Side note, still sounds better than Maryland. Not sure if I could afford it though.
Did you say Maryland in the first place! It's way better then Maryland, you should make it happen asap. 😃

I am in Arizona

Its windy

Its hot

Its dusty

Everything is dead

All the people are old and wrinkly

Buildings are all brown

Traffic is nuts

Sales tax is 9%

At least Hell has good gun laws
Some of that applies to northern Nevada. Way nicer conditions though, along with the friendly gun laws.

D8ECF5B8-C20F-49F4-89A3-C35097143388.png
4043BF04-4224-4514-8BCF-A5A1C7B27EE2.png

Reno you can escape into those mountains though. Sierra Nevadas are gorgeous.

Phoenix you’re trapped and the people here are mean and dumb. Fucking off out into the desert and shooting guns is how I keep my sanity.

ATF made me move part of my business to NV(Sparks). I'm over there a lot but have never warmed up to it. Dirty looking, lots of crime, and the color green is absent(no trees, bushes or grass) I always feel better when I get back over the hill to CA. The part of CA where I live is quite pleasant (all politics aside).

Not going to argue with someone that lives there but PHX (specifically the northern suburbs like Scottsdale) has lots of trails, especially around the golf resorts which is generally verboden in other places. Also a ton of trail riding (horses).

I've had some nice visits but could not survive the summer heat.

ATF made me move part of my business to NV(Sparks). I'm over there a lot but have never warmed up to it. Dirty looking, lots of crime, and the color green is absent(no trees, bushes or grass) I always feel better when I get back over the hill to CA. The part of CA where I live is quite pleasant (all politics aside).
Yeah, companies like Franklin Armory, and my buddies custom rifle shop had to move out of Cali, too hostile.

I am in Arizona

Its windy

Its hot

Its dusty

Everything is dead

All the people are old and wrinkly

Buildings are all brown

Traffic is nuts

Sales tax is 9%

At least Hell has good gun laws

Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 10.00.29.png

From my personal experience in reno, I'd say I've seen sewer ponds cleaner. Granted we transported a 50 year old alcoholic millionaire with a hot shit in her pants over 700 miles only to end up keeping her alive until her piece of shit ex boyfriend drove her Mercedes through the private gate and had to dig in when it took swat 1.5hrs to roll in. P.s. her boyfriend killed her a week after we left. 10/10 never going back to the palomino Valley. Lol

Are you hiring? Lol.

I rented a car last May in Reno and drove it for a week in Northern Nevada, Winnemucca, McDermitt, Denio Junction, Virgin Valley. They ass raped me when I turned it back in. Won’t do that shit again.

Pretty much agree with what has already been said. Huge influx from California the past few years. The median house price for Reno is over $600k now. It's a little less in Sparks. The infrastructure is not keeping up with the growth in population, so traffic is getting worse. It might take weeks or even months to see a doctor, dentist, vet, etc.. Warehousing & service are two of the biggest employment sectors and the pay isn't enough to live here. A two bedroom apartment is around $2k a month.

Warehousing & service are two of the biggest employment sectors and the pay isn't enough to live here.
What's paying now is landscaping and concrete. Never thought I'd see a day where a sod-layer would demand $80 or more per hour (each) or concrete be at over $200 an hour plus materials.

My original company was not willing to move me out there in a reasonable time table. I might be able to get hired on at another compnay though. Anybody know a good rental company or agent to work with?

OP not sure if you ever got moved out here. Wife and I just bought a house in sparks in august. We enjoy it so far! Moved from bozeman MT. Not as many hippies/soy boys running around and you can actually get in to eat somewhere within 5 minutes compared to 1-2 Hr wait in bozeman.

Do you need a good realtor or rental agent?

OP not sure if you ever got moved out here. Wife and I just bought a house in sparks in august. We enjoy it so far! Moved from bozeman MT. Not as many hippies/soy boys running around and you can actually get in to eat somewhere within 5 minutes compared to 1-2 Hr wait in bozeman.

Did not happen. My old company didn't come through and plans have been put on hold pending some reassessment.

Reactions: BigSkyRF

What brought you out here?

That's a real shame about Bozeman, it was awesome about twenty years ago, I hate to hear that the culture has changed there so much. I have to add that Reno has changed a lot as well.

Reno has always been a toilet but it used to be affordable and the outlying areas were normal and affordable. Now it's gotten expensive and a lot of those outlying areas where I remembering going shooting or ATVing are getting these weirdo environmental types complaining about damage to the land etc.