• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is the 'Glock' of .308's?

Re: What is the 'Glock' of .308's?

Bleh @ Glock.

Reliability, Quality, and Life Epectancy are mutually exclusive terms when referencing a glock...

You should have just said, "what is the most reliable 308?"

I don't think the Glock of 308s exists quite yet.

For just reliability, reasonable price, and now, sure: FAL.

But as far as universality/ubiquity (in the USA), I think the LMT is up-and-coming, and that particular AR platform will dominate the market (KAC/DPMS/etc). Also yet to be seen is Colt's new vapor-308.

I just haven't heard of FALs issued with LE, nor seen any significant numbers at gun ranges or gun shows, and the market just doesn't proliferate. DSA dominates, and there just isn't demand for more companies to jump in...as opposed to what Glock has done with the "wonder-nine" revolution.

So I think the answer to your question TBD a few years hence.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: carbinero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think the Glock of 308s exists quite yet.

For just reliability, reasonable price, and now, sure: FAL.

But as far as universality/ubiquity (in the USA), I think the LMT is up-and-coming, and that particular AR platform will dominate the market (KAC/DPMS/etc). Also yet to be seen is Colt's new vapor-308.

I just haven't heard of FALs issued with LE, nor seen any significant numbers at gun ranges or gun shows, and the market just doesn't proliferate. DSA dominates, and there just isn't demand for more companies to jump in...as opposed to what Glock has done with the "wonder-nine" revolution.

So I think the answer to your question TBD a few years hence.</div></div>

Because at the end of the day, there's a far, far, far larger market for a highly-reliable, durable, and customizable $500 handgun than there is for semi-auto .308s. Vanishingly few law enforcement agencies have ever decided to issue semi-auto .308s to patrol officers, and even amongst SWAT teams 5.56 or 9mm will be found to be far more prevalent outside of a sniper role. There are only a few models available (Saiga, CAI's CETME, perhaps CAI's IMBEL FAL) that can come close to the $500 price point, while most of the others run well over $1k, which puts them outside the range that most people will spend. .308 Win/7.62 NATO costs more to shoot, has more recoil, holds fewer rounds, and generally has fewer accessories available to it than .223/5.56. For all of these reasons and more, both the civilian and LE market has shifted towards 5.56. I don't think we'll ever see a single .308 semi that achieves great enough market penetration to be colloquially known as "GLOCK-like" in distribution or popularity.

If they knock $3k off the price, the REPR would fit the bill
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If they knock $3k off the price, the REPR would fit the bill
smile.gif
</div></div>
Glock-like reliability.....guess I've been reading the wrong forums on the REPR...and definitely watching the wrong youtube videos....lol.

My vote would have to be for the LWRC REPR. The M1A does not place on this list for me because of the issues they have with Wolf ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If they knock $3k off the price, the REPR would fit the bill
smile.gif
</div></div>
Glock-like reliability.....guess I've been reading the wrong forums on the REPR...and definitely watching the wrong youtube videos....lol. </div></div>

You should try shooting one! Believe it or not, the interweb sometimes provides misleading information...
smile.gif

I suggest you spend a little time behind one so you will have some firsthand experience on which to base your comments.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If they knock $3k off the price, the REPR would fit the bill
smile.gif
</div></div>
Glock-like reliability.....guess I've been reading the wrong forums on the REPR...and definitely watching the wrong youtube videos....lol. </div></div>

You should try shooting one! Believe it or not, the interweb sometimes provides misleading information...
smile.gif

I suggest you spend a little time behind one so you will have some firsthand experience on which to base your comments. </div></div>

Whatever...you need thousands of first-hand experiences, millions of rounds down-range, and ten or more years of uber-reliable performance before you could even begin to compare a weapon's reliability to the amazing Glock. It's a joke to compare any new weapon to a pistol that has proven so reliable and safe over .....decades.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a joke to compare any new weapon to a pistol that has proven so reliable and safe over .....decades.
</div></div>

Agreed, hence the
smile.gif

My latter point was simply that the stories of the REPR's problems are greatly exaggerated and the product of internet BS---and your referencing such stories in an effort to establish a lack of reliability is a tad short-sighted. Clearly any effort to compare a brand new $4k weapon, with all of a couple thousand produced, to a decades old $300 well vetted pistol was meant to be taken with a grain of salt.

If you recall, according to the un-informed, the Glock started out as a metal-detector defeating plastic terrorist weapon.

Well if you're comparing Glock, I'd think of something affordable, sold widely, and utterly reliable. I'd have to say a Remington 700, maybe an SPS Tactical.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TrooperBrian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well if you're comparing Glock, I'd think of something affordable, sold widely, and utterly reliable. I'd have to say a Remington 700, maybe an SPS Tactical. </div></div>

With that definition one would have to look to the FAL or AK on the world wide market.

Pat

I would say a 700P, but a 700P isn't ugly and uncomfortable...

Savage 10FP maybe?

In it's stock off the shelf configuration, the stock is horrible feeling, it's not real comfortable, but it's reliable and accurate.