• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is the weather like in your AO today?

Cooling off

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240113_161329_Weather.jpg
    Screenshot_20240113_161329_Weather.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 19
I just spent 3 hours today, clearing driveways, roofs, and other crap. We got about 8" to 10" of drifting snow. Winds during the night, were between 40-50 mph. Winter has finally arrived here in Wisc. Single digits coming next week.
Mac:rolleyes:

So… like us here in VT? Stocking up on beer, scratch tickets, unfiltered Camels, jerky and HoHo’s???

Because that is how we handle winter.

Sirhr

I just spent 3 hours today, clearing driveways, roofs, and other crap. We got about 8" to 10" of drifting snow. Winds during the night, were between 40-50 mph. Winter has finally arrived here in Wisc. Single digits coming next week.
Mac:rolleyes:
See my driveway above. Wisconsin winters really aren't a big deal, it's just the surprise of when it comes! This year has been really mild and then BOOM! Winter bitch!

So… like us here in VT? Stocking up on beer, scratch tickets, unfiltered Camels, jerky and HoHo’s???

Because that is how we handle winter.

Sirhr
I'm stocked up on Jack, cigars, Twinkies, deer sticks and peanut butter. Bring on the apocalypse, brother! Mac;)

See my driveway above. Wisconsin winters really aren't a big deal, it's just the surprise of when it comes! This year has been really mild and then BOOM! Winter bitch!
Actually, we've had a mild start here. 35-42 deg. up until 2 days ago. Like you said, BAAM! Had to pull on the ol' thermies. Mac(y)

Well, we have logged 1.8” of rain since midnight. And of corse these ID10ts who can’t drive on dry roads are trying to do 70-80 in conditions that all suck, but change by the mile.🤦🏼‍♂️
Too bad we keep trying to make roads and vehicles safer, it seems to not help the Darwinian process

Reactions: acpchuck
28°C (about 84° F for most of you.) here today and a bit humid with northerlies.

I've got the fan on.

Here in Balmy Arkansas it’s 1*f , just finished running a 5 miler …had 10 planned but the wind made me soft. 😳
Those Hot Hands warmers are da bomb , one in each mitten , one for my junk 👍
kept it doable.
Picked up some friends at the airport from Goa India where it was 83*f
when they left.🥶 quite a shock for them.
Stay warm & safe y’all !!

This morning, hovering around 9 - 10 degrees real temperature. Left the house at 11 ish to go and visit my wife. The vehicle thermometer showed 13 F. No precipitation, yet. Just and butt ugly cold, buy Texas standards.

I have a similar rug. How do you do a snow scrubbing?
Really? Tibetan? This one is wool hand woven 100 knot vegetable dye.

From memory: The cat like creature is a Tibetan “Tukdor”(sp?) and the “waves” around it, the “Sea of Samsara” (life’s suffering). The Tukdor hooks you with his hooked tail and pulls you from the sea of samsara……

The trick is a really cold day with fresh clean powdery snow. This is perfect weather.
  1. Just lay the rug in a clean area of snow. Let it cool to snow temperature. You do not want snow melting.
  2. Cover with snow and rub it in with a broom
  3. Let it sit 15 mins
  4. Brush all snow off
  5. Flip and repeat
  6. Get rug as clean of snow as possible and bring inside. Again you do not want snow melting on it.
  7. Done
Below is a picture of “rug cleaning day” in Poland

IMG_4275.jpeg

From memory: The cat like creature is a Tibetan “Tukdor”(sp?) and the “waves” around it, the “Sea of Samsara” (life’s suffering). The Tukdor hooks you with his hooked tail and pulls you from the sea of samsara……

The trick is a really cold day with fresh clean powdery snow. This is perfect weather.
  1. Just lay the rug in a clean area of snow. Let it cool to snow temperature. You do not want snow melting.
  3. Let it sit 15 mins
  4. Brush all snow off
  5. Flip and repeat
  6. Get rug as clean of snow as possible and bring inside. Again you do not want snow melting on it.
  7. Done

View attachment 8322855
Here's are a couple of my Tibetan carperts. the maroon/gold one is about an inch thick, solid wool. I rolled up in it once and talk about getting warm. It's so heavy I can move it myself but its a lot easier with help. The one on the wall is a Navajo corn Yei.
Ubangis.jpg

3. Let it sit 15 mins
  4. Brush all snow off
  5. Flip and repeat
  7. Done

View attachment 8322855

9x12 ft hand woven Persian rug made with Belgian lamb wool.

It is exquisite. I bought it for 550 bucks.

Reactions: Holliday
Here's are a couple of my Tibetan carperts. the maroon/gold one is about an inch thick, solid wool. I rolled up in it once and talk about getting warm. It's so heavy I can move it myself but its a lot easier with help. The one on the wall is a Navajo corn Yei. View attachment 8322870
Love the color. Those are traditional Tibetan Buddhist monastic colors. I actualy did a work study living at a Tibetan Buddist Monastery.

It’s amazing we treat these rugs well but folks must remember they were originally used on dirt floors…..

9x12 ft hand woven Persian rug made with Belgian lamb wool.

It is exquisite. I bought it for 550 bucks.

Nice, I have a persian as well but I doubt hand woven. Elephant foot pattern, which I love. Probably 2-4 people would be best for the snow wash though for that size. Probably would be getting most of the snow off of it before you bring it inside.

Love the color. Those are traditional Tibetan Buddhist monastic colors. I actualy did a work study living at a Tibetan Buddist Monastery.

It’s amazing we treat these rugs well but folks must remember they were originally used on dirt floors…..
Yeah, as cold as it gets in Tibet then need a good floor. I spent a week at the Abbey of Gethsemane in Kentucky, a Trappist monastery. The days of silence punctuated by times of chant were really powerful.

The maroon one is for sale if you know of anyone. I'll likely never have another place big enough for it

Yeah, as cold as it gets in Tibet then need a good floor. I spent a week at the Abbey of Gethsemane in Kentucky, a Trappist monastery. The days of silence punctuated by times of chant were really powerful.

The maroon one is for sale if you know of anyone. I'll likely never have another place big enough for it
We had silence every day until noon after morning chants. Then at one point we had a two week silent period of “retreat”.

One thing I learned, beware of living in the middle of nowhere, in quiet and peace. It is addictive.

Reactions: Maggot
We had silence every day until noon after morning chants. Then at one point we had a two week silent period of “retreat”.

One thing I learned, beware of living in the middle of nowhere, in quiet and peace. It is addictive.
I grew up in the middle of nowhere. I miss the silence and the dark sky terribly.

Reactions: Holliday
updated forecast. North of the Red River could see some precip. In Texas, Fannin County and east could see some stuff. For the rest of us, just bone-snapping cold.

• Haha
Reactions: JMGlasgow
South Louisiana mid-week low: low 20’s.
Fuck global warming! 🤣😆👍

Attachments

• A1029382-178F-47B0-B504-404013555D9D.png
    A1029382-178F-47B0-B504-404013555D9D.png
    831.9 KB · Views: 6
Saw -28 at our place. Wife told me she saw people talking about -38 10 miles away.

Most of the day yesterday and today my weather app was off 15-20 degrees. Also my wife and I have the same phones, same weather app, all that, and we always show different temps. And it isn't that one of us has location turned on and the other doesn't. They must not have AI handling the forecasts yet. Either that, or they do and AI figured that it don't matter and is just sitting back like

updated forecast. North of the Red River could see some precip. In Texas, Fannin County and east could see some stuff. For the rest of us, just bone-snapping cold.
North of the Red River where I am its showing 6% but wiht wind chill -7. No precip but fuck this cold. as much as I've come to love Oklahoma I want to leave this world warm. I'm looking towards Tucson.

Reactions: Govt Mule
I am sooooo glad I moved to South Texas. It's going to be down in the 20s for a few days. Had snow one time since I moved here in 2012.
113° is pretty rough too... but I never had to shovel hot off my driveway.

Reactions: Ronws and XP1K
16 right now west of Austin w/ high of 29 expected today. 60% chance of sleet and snow flurries.

ERCOT sent a message out for everyone to conserve energy between 6a.m. and 10a.m. to avoid power outage.

FJB and his wind(less) turbines.

Upper 20's and light snow right now, mixed projections/forecasts for the total amount of snowfall range from 1-5", so it could get interesting for the people who "think" they know how to drive in snow. :D

We have had 9+ inches of rain since last Thursday, even more in the coastal mountains. River went from about 12 feet to 35 feet, 5 over flood stage. High water on this road is normal in the winter but not this deep. Fortunately most of the low lying ground under water is pasture or hay fields. More rain this week but river levels are supposed to go down, will see if that happens or not.
PXL_20240114_202524359.jpg
PXL_20240114_202835908.MP.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20240114_202524359.jpg
    PXL_20240114_202524359.jpg
    794 KB · Views: 9
Annnnndddddd........

It's snowing.
Heavily.
Again.
With dunno how many feet already on the ground.
Roads closed, been closed, will be closed.
Fuck.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandhog308
20240115_085816.jpg

Went below freezing here around midnight. It was 29 when I got up at 4:30am. Doubt we make the forecasted high of 34. They say 22 tonight but I bet we end up in the teens.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton