• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What is this in my barrel?

kilizyrag

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2022
Colorado
Smith Corona 1903A3 6 groove barrel. What am I looking at here? Corrosion or fouling?

03A3Barrel.jpg

Did you recently aquire a bore scope?
Not recently, but this is the first time I have looked down this barrel. Not that I am an expert by any means. Are we looking at pits or clumps. They look like mounds of something to me.
Push a few patches of hoppes through it and find out.
The picture is after Hoppes, KRG Copper remover and chore boy.
So, nobody said it yet?

Um....how does it shoot?
I really cannot remember. Been at least 10 years. The barrel is 1943 vintage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
Are we looking at pits or clumps. They look like mounds of something to me.
Try removing the side look mirror and use the bore scope looking straight ahead. Then you might be able to see if its pitting or raised up fouling/copper.

Just a suggestion.

brillo pad.
Serious? Brillo pad like in steel wool scrubbing pad?

Reactions: kilizyrag
Try removing the side look mirror and use the bore scope looking straight ahead. Then you might be able to see if its pitting or raised up fouling/copper.

Just a suggestion.

Serious? Brillo pad like in steel wool scrubbing pad?
No, copper scrubbing pads wrapped around brush

Reactions: Baron23
I bore scope can and will drive you mad if you let it.
It will also tell you what the inside of the barrel looks like .

OP I would shoot a few rounds, and see what it looks like . It may strip copper or it may disappear . Jb paste may be the answer .

Certainly some pits. (Missing metal)
This is often from sitting for years with copper in bore. Clean copper and pits show.
You might also see some protruding structure at left side of photo.

I bore scope can and will drive you mad if you let it.
No shit. I’m versed looking in engines, but this is all new to me.
It will also tell you what the inside of the barrel looks like .

OP I would shoot a few rounds, and see what it looks like . It may strip copper or it may disappear . Jb paste may be the answer .
Will try and get out this week and shoot it. I remember it as being accurate. Has dropped many mule deer.

Barrel is probably 80 years old.

You know most 80 year old things shit their pants, let it run down their leg and make no complaints. Some of them run the country.

Call Smith Carona and tell them you want a new barrel. This one that started its life firing corrosive killing enemies of the USA is defective.

I’m actually impressed how good it looks.

• Haha