• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

What NOT to ask on SH

Re: What NOT to ask on SH

Where do you get those big bolt knobs?

Will bolt fluting make my rifle more accurate?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does this stock make me look fat?</div></div>

How would you go about telling your friend it ISN'T the stock?

Do TRGs have chromed line barrels?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dudeman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats the mussel velocity of my custom rifle? </div></div>

I dont know how far your rifle throws a mussel. I presume as fast as you can sling it, catapult style?

medium_I_Photo_single_mussel.jpg

Mussel.

muzzle.jpg

Muzzle
smile.gif

</div></div>

LMAO!!!

this is great

i'll throw in my favorites that make me role my eyes.

Which ring height for rifle x and scope y?
best twist rate?
which bullet?

Wow... I picture you guys sitting around sipping brandy and wearing ascots. Pretty snobby. Remember there isn't a knowledge test to buy a gun, and certainly not to be on this website. I have never understood this phenomenon in forums. People come here to have questions answered and have opinions shared. Why make fun of that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NavalAircrew</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow... I picture you guys sitting around sipping brandy and wearing ascots. Pretty snobby..............</div></div>

I see that you are Military. Let me ask you this.

If an instructor hands you a manual telling you everything there is to know about a piece of equipment, what would his reaction be if you tossed the manual aside and instead required him to verbally tell you the information you want?

If it's anything like the military I came from you would get strong fast.

So is that snobbery.....or a reasonable expectation.

All of the topics we are listing here have either been covered at length OR obviously fall under OPSEC.

because MANY are so painfully obvious that one has to jest about them.

and i don't wear an ascot, i do have a monocle though.
wink.gif

Sorry... I can't find the "Everything you need to know about SH" manual anywhere on this website. Kind of defeats the purpose of a forum if you ask me. Lets get a hold of the webmaster and shut her down. I was just trying to stick up for the little guy. I am quite positive you did not learn everything you needed to know in the Marine Corps from reading it out of a manual. "A Few Good Men" taught us that. Just don't order a Code Red on me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diriel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am getting pretty good with my crossman .177. I seen on TV where some sniper dude shot a can of stew at over a mile. Should I get a 40x mag scope or a 60x mag scope? I hear Tasco makes them, would one of those be ok?
wink.gif

</div></div>

Where can those cans of stew be purchased?
laugh.gif

What are those turny round things on scopes and how do i use them?

Should i get a scope with proprietary ballistic reticle?

Which is better .45 or 9mm. ?

My SKS, AK, Mini 14 are all 1/4" rifles.

There are no stupid questions....Only stupid people who ask questions.

Not bad for a first post. I usually keep my mouth shut, cus I'm stupid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And what does "all day long, if I do my part" actually mean?? </div></div>

One of my favorites as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NavalAircrew</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow... I picture you guys sitting around sipping brandy and wearing ascots. Pretty snobby. Remember there isn't a knowledge test to buy a gun, and certainly not to be on this website. I have never understood this phenomenon in forums. People come here to have questions answered and have opinions shared. Why make fun of that? </div></div>

Because we are our own worst enemy. Instead of embracing the ignorant and teaching them, we chastise them and turn them away from the sport which is contrary to helping the sport and our ability to protect it!

What I really love are the "uber" internet elitists who feel the need to expunge the world of those less knowledgeable in order to show the world their armchair "greatness"(seriously its the internet, your not great so get over it!). Those guys always amaze me, because even when they are wrong they will hold true to their own ignorance and then things will just become petty and they will revert to being "that guy" aka the internet stalker!

A little ribbing and such is fine but sometimes people step over the line and detract from the this form of entertainment, stress relief, enjoyment (which is what this is about for many of us) etc etc etc. More and more people are being turned off to firearms because of either the cost, political and social bias or have never had the chance to experience shooting, we do not need to aid in this process.

and yes I have done many searches which didn't turn up diddly! If you don't like the question then don't look at the thread or just don't answer! Its too simple!

Just my .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: woody22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are no stupid questions....Only stupid people who ask questions.

Not bad for a first post. I usually keep my mouth shut, cus I'm stupid. </div></div>

Welcome!

I like,
The only stupid question is the question not asked!

Some learn by asking, some learn by pain. We hope to avoid pain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NavalAircrew</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow... I picture you guys sitting around sipping brandy and wearing ascots. Pretty snobby..............</div></div>

If an instructor hands you a manual telling you everything there is to know about a piece of equipment, what would his reaction be if you tossed the manual aside and instead required him to verbally tell you the information you want?

All of the topics we are listing here have either been covered at length OR obviously fall under OPSEC. </div></div>

I AM a military instructor and I get dumbass questions from students all the time, but often times even if it IS in the manual - their question relates to practical application or instructor experience that will never be found in ANY manual. AND, as Navalaircrew correctly pointed out, there IS no SH manual to go look shit up in. And frankly, the search engine here sucks. I've found things on here easier by googling a topic and including "SH" in the search query.

As NAC also points out, why not just lock the site to any future threads because apparently every question that's ever been asked has already been posted here, right? How boring would that be?

I think all you guys that have been here too long are forgetting the definition of "FORUM". In simple terms its a "public meeting place for open discussion". Sure, I could spend hours googling everything about what ever question I might have and hope that I got the right answer. OR, I could come to a place where there is a wealth of experience, pose a question and hopefully get the wisdom of someone who has the same issue, setup, equipement, etc. And maybe in the process, I might learn something beyond my basic question that I would not have gotten from just reading. That's the value of a "forum".

Yeah, I get annoyed too when I see a thread for the 69th time asking what is the best brake for XX rifle or what is the best ring height for an XX Scope on a ________ rifle. But I either ignore the thread, because I have that ability to pick and choose what I click on OR I'll remember I was in that person's shoes not too long ago and he/she is attempting to benefit from someone who has the same setup.

I personally don't mind the repetitive questions. Again, if I already know the answer or don't have the experience to help that person, I'll just skip over it. If its something I'm mildly interested in but have no direct need for the information - I'll usually open the thread to learn about the topic. I've learned an immense amount of information that way. But unlike many here, I don't live and breathe and spend every wakling second on this site. So if there were no repetitive topics being posed, I would probably have missed more than half of the things I've learned here.

Just remember - for those of you who get annoyed easily - you have complete power over your hand and your mouse finger to skip right over those silly, repetitive threads. I'm just sayin'

Answering the same questions over and over again teaches someone to ask without looking.

Teaching to look before asking will enable them to learn how to FIND their answers on their own and better equip them to ask intelligent, clarifying questions.

When someone asks me a question that is in the material they have in their possession (or the friggin' internet) instead of just spoon feeding them the answer I would much rather demonstrate to them how to "discover" the answer. Then I will be more than happy to discuss the answer they found if there is still some ambiguity to it.

Looking at it from the other side of the coin I have taught myself some pretty complex skills in this way. It also allows me to get up to speed pretty quickly when I have access to a flesh and blood instructor.

We all have different ways of learning. I just get tired of the current crop of entitled society expecting that everything (including information) should be given to them without any effort on their part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReaperDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I AM a military instructor and I get dumbass questions from students all the time, but often times even if it IS in the manual - their question relates to practical application or instructor experience that will never be found in ANY manual. AND, as Navalaircrew correctly pointed out, there IS no SH manual to go look shit up in. And frankly, the search engine here sucks. I've found things on here easier by googling a topic and including "SH" in the search query.

As NAC also points out, why not just lock the site to any future threads because apparently every question that's ever been asked has already been posted here, right? How boring would that be?

I think all you guys that have been here too long are forgetting the definition of "FORUM". In simple terms its a "public meeting place for open discussion". Sure, I could spend hours googling everything about what ever question I might have and hope that I got the right answer. OR, I could come to a place where there is a wealth of experience, pose a question and hopefully get the wisdom of someone who has the same issue, setup, equipement, etc. And maybe in the process, I might learn something beyond my basic question that I would not have gotten from just reading. That's the value of a "forum".

Yeah, I get annoyed too when I see a thread for the 69th time asking what is the best brake for XX rifle or what is the best ring height for an XX Scope on a ________ rifle. But I either ignore the thread, because I have that ability to pick and choose what I click on OR I'll remember I was in that person's shoes not too long ago and he/she is attempting to benefit from someone who has the same setup.

I personally don't mind the repetitive questions. Again, if I already know the answer or don't have the experience to help that person, I'll just skip over it. If its something I'm mildly interested in but have no direct need for the information - I'll usually open the thread to learn about the topic. I've learned an immense amount of information that way. But unlike many here, I don't live and breathe and spend every wakling second on this site. So if there were no repetitive topics being posed, I would probably have missed more than half of the things I've learned here.

Just remember - for those of you who get annoyed easily - you have complete power over your hand and your mouse finger to skip right over those silly, repetitive threads. I'm just sayin' </div></div>

Well said RD,

-Pat

I think to many of us forget that at one point we were probably asking these same "stupid questions". it may be funny to see the same thread over and over but nobody is forcing us to respond. plus the more people that know the answers the better.

The last thing i want to do is discourage somebody that wants to get into this hobby and is trying to learn. i love it and want it to grow so the more the merrier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NavalAircrew</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow... I picture you guys sitting around sipping brandy and wearing ascots. Pretty snobby. </div></div>

Actually...that is about right.

But it is Scotch...and Shemaghs.

This is still the best place in the world to obtain information. Period.

Is it so wrong to ask that the seeker of this info. Put forth a little effort and not expect everything to be spoon fed to them?

Whether you like it or not, this forum is the big league. The VAST majority of members are more than happy to help out new shooters.

If you think we are snobs, then...actually, I don't think anyone is going to care.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Answering the same questions over and over again teaches someone to ask without looking.

Teaching to look before asking will enable them to learn how to FIND their answers on their own and better equip them to ask intelligent, clarifying questions.

When someone asks me a question that is in the material they have in their possession (or the friggin' internet) instead of just spoon feeding them the answer I would much rather demonstrate to them how to "discover" the answer. Then I will be more than happy to discuss the answer they found if there is still some ambiguity to it.

Looking at it from the other side of the coin I have taught myself some pretty complex skills in this way. It also allows me to get up to speed pretty quickly when I have access to a flesh and blood instructor.

We all have different ways of learning. I just get tired of the current crop of entitled society expecting that everything (including information) should be given to them without any effort on their part.

</div></div>

Well, well. So taking the time to register on this forum after researching and finding this forum doesn't count? Funny, I figure someone would at least get credit for that?

Manuals say a lot. Some are good and some are absolute crap! Do you personally know who wrote what manual and what their background experience is/was? Were they really qualified to write said manual or just some extra broke dick field grade?
There is a lot of bullshit on the net. When I ask a question as do many people it serves to either confirm what I researched, or give me variable opinions from people practical experience as was mentioned above.

I remember when the .50 community was getting big. Biggerhammer was all the rage back then and then a couple of idiots ruined it and ran off many people who might have possibly invested in a fifty and increased the numbers of the sport and the support for the .50 BMG.
Don't think that our sport, entertainment or whatever you want to call it is immune!

I would suggest you remember where you came from. It's not a bad thing to share your knowledge and if you don't want to then there is no reason to be disrespectful, just move on to some other post.

Which is the better scope for shooting elk at 1000yd, a Huskemaw or Counter Sniper Optics? Does Anyone have load data for 208gr Amax in .308 Win?

Perhaps one of the most difficult discussions occurs when someone comes on the site and asks a question and in reality is only looking for validation of the actions they have taken or are about to take. The problem/concern I have as a shooter is that I want to see the people succeed and to stay involved with the hobby/sport (Our long term health is at stake). Many times when they get an answer that is contrary to their desires and they think they are being put down or told that they are foolish as opposed to considering that people are looking out for their long term interests and the long term health of the sport.

The old axiom is still true, Give a man a fish and feed him for the day, teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Whether you like it or not, <span style="font-weight: bold">this forum is the big league</span>. </div></div>

I'm sorry, but that statement just made me laugh. Some of you guys take yourselves WAAAY too seriously.

I don't consider myself one of the"big leaguers".

I am quite content sitting in the stands...watching and learning.

But the amount of knowledge and experience of members here is stagering.

Its worth it to do some searching around before asking something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And what does "all day long, if I do my part" actually mean?? </div></div>

Doesn't that have to do with a good "Colon-Blow" and the smell permeating from the Bathroom???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Perhaps one of the most difficult discussions occurs when someone comes on the site and asks a question and in reality is only looking for validation of the actions they have taken or are about to take. The problem/concern I have as a shooter is that I want to see the people succeed and to stay involved with the hobby/sport (Our long term health is at stake). Many times when they get an answer that is contrary to their desires and they think they are being put down or told that they are foolish as opposed to considering that people are looking out for their long term interests and the long term health of the sport.

The old axiom is still true, Give a man a fish and feed him for the day, teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime.
</div></div>

Very true

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NavalAircrew</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow... I picture you guys sitting around sipping brandy and wearing ascots. Pretty snobby..............</div></div>
All of the topics we are listing here have either been covered at length OR obviously fall under OPSEC. </div></div>

Nice.

I think Chiller has a multicam ascot....

Back to the questions-

"This vs that"? insert scopes, calibers, barrel lengths, manufacturers of choice......
Kinda give me this vibe:
Kia-Soul-Hamsters-1024x576.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glock or 1911?

SMK's for hunting?....
<-- Guilty </div></div>

WELLLLLL Glock of course... like DUH!?!

I have been searching this forum for quite a while.I recently joined the forum, I have asked one question, and got some pretty diverse answers to it.I hope it was not a stupid question. I was not aware that I was to search the whole site before asking any thing of anyone,I will be more careful in the future, or maby I just won't bother you with my ignorance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: debubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been searching this forum for quite a while.I recently joined the forum, I have asked one question, and got some pretty diverse answers to it.I hope it was not a stupid question. I was not aware that I was to search the whole site before asking any thing of anyone,I will be more careful in the future, or maby I just won't bother you with my ignorance. </div></div>

or you could have really thin skin and take it way too far, then cut your nose off to spite your face.

nobody is saying don't ask questions. just everyone should use the search function first, it's most likely been asked and answered. and you can have instant results instead of waiting 3 weeks to have everyone chime in with the same results.

My skin is plenty thick, I was just attempting to use absurdity to help spotlight absurdity.
I currently don't have a computer at home.Doing this on my cell phone is time consuming,not to mention battery draining.I want to get things done quickly.So yes I do want to be spoon fed info from time to time.The way I see it that is part of the reason for a forum in the first place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NavalAircrew</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow... I picture you guys sitting around sipping brandy and wearing ascots. Pretty snobby..............</div></div>

Nice.

I think Chiller has a multicam ascot....

Back to the questions-

"This vs that"? insert scopes, calibers, barrel lengths, manufacturers of choice......
Kinda give me this vibe:
Kia-Soul-Hamsters-1024x576.jpg
</div></div>

Moroni thinks he has more MC than me.......he dont know me too well.......lol

LMFAO to be spoon fed information that others either had to pay for or learn on their own? that's a nice attitude, i'm sure you'll go far.

I don't mind anyone asking any sort of questions that hey want to ask, at any time, night or day...

unless it is about the AWESOME Countersniper Scopes!! LOL!!

Now THAT subject is VERY old. Even then, I find it hilarious!!

DK

Not just any Scotch - Johnny Walker Blue!

Glock or 1911? - 1911

My favorite: "Which break?" (Too bad there's not a spell checker for gun-centric terms.)

Seriously, this place has been a wealth of information. "Advanced Search" has always led me to the "Holy Grail".

Kevin

More favorites:

-what's in your pack?

-what do you carry in your pockets? (with the obligatory picture of a pistol, knife, money clip with a stack of ones with a hundred on the outside and a cell phone)

-can I beat off to pictures of your wife/girlfriend's tits? (oh yeah, I forgot, folks actually post that freely for the kids to spank on without being asked).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RKBA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LMFAO to be spoon fed information that others either had to pay for or learn on their own? that's a nice attitude, i'm sure you'll go far. </div></div>
I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over my own awesomeness!