• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

WTB What payment method is best?

Wanting To Buy

smokinbobf4

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2018
Please delete if not allowed. Not sure where to post this. I keep hearing bits and pieces about PayPal locking accounts and sending 1099’s, etc. Forgive me if this is already covered, I couldn’t really find much recently, but what are people finding as a safe alternative?

I use PayPal ... Trusted Source - NO Comments ... and it works fine. You just have to school your payers to follow those two rules. Using their Commercial source, and making Comments that indicate firearms-related sales ... is what gets accounts frozen.

Reactions: simonp
It depends if you want to cover your ass or you trust the person

Zelle is awesome PayPal isn’t terrible just not as efficient

Reactions: Tall Pine
Above guys are correct. “Personal” payments aka friends & family, discreet, etc. are not accounted for in the new tax legislation since they are still considered gifts. If a buyer is not willing to use this method (or USPS MO, check, similar), then move along. Obviously, no comments about anything should be included. Even shipping addresses or cryptic messages can be red flags.

Zelle and Venmo can also work, but I’m not sure if those are captured in the new 1099 rules.

For these reasons, and just the sheer amount of shitty people on the internet anymore, are also why forum feedback is so important (leaving and receiving it).

It depends if you want to cover your ass or you trust the person

Zelle is awesome PayPal isn’t terrible just not as efficient
I just worry about Zelle being linked directly to my bank account ... that just makes me nervous. Probably an irrational fear ... but real nonetheless.

Reactions: SSG3K
Above guys are correct. “Personal” payments aka friends & family, discreet, etc. are not accounted for in the new tax legislation since they are still considered gifts. If a buyer is not willing to use this method (or USPS MO, check, similar), then move along. Obviously, no comments about anything should be included. Even shipping addresses or cryptic messages can be red flags.

Zelle and Venmo can also work, but I’m not sure if those are captured in the new 1099 rules.

For these reasons, and just the sheer amount of shitty people on the internet anymore, are also why forum feedback is so important (leaving and receiving it).
Agree completely ... best insurance against fraud here is only doing business with well-reviewed long-term members.

I just worry about Zelle being linked directly to my bank account ... that just makes me nervous. Probably an irrational fear ... but real nonetheless.
Every type of payment is linked to an account that’s linked to your bank account zelle is offered thru my bank so I’m protected thru them

Reactions: Sendero_Man
Zelle is the answer. If banks use and promote it, you know its secure.
And a recent decision by them states they are not governed by the IRS 1099 reporting rules like PayPal and Venmo will be. Perfect answer.

If you are worried about a bank account being linked to these online payment sources, maybe justifiably so. An easy alternative is to go to the bank and open up another checking account that you only have the minimum balance in, then just move in or out as needed to fund your pew pew lifestyle. Then at least the payment agencies don't have direct access to your "main" checking account.

I have done this forever for automatic payments and such. I move the correct amount of money from one account to the "payment" account a few days before a draft automatically. That way if something fat fingers and they try to take one too many zeros out for some automatic payment, it fails and it's on their side. Never had an issue, but it was a fear of mine early on in the online payment game.

Reactions: bachelorjack

Zelle is executed uniquely directly through the banking transfer system. In many cases, you actually send money through your bank's app, not the Zelle app. That allows banks to have control. There is no recovery if you screw up, though... but I'm not too concerned about Zelle.

If you are worried about a bank account being linked to these online payment sources, maybe justifiably so. An easy alternative is to go to the bank and open up another checking account that you only have the minimum balance in, then just move in or out as needed to fund your pew pew lifestyle. Then at least the payment agencies don't have direct access to your "main" checking account.

I have done this forever for automatic payments and such. I move the correct amount of money from one account to the "payment" account a few days before a draft automatically. That way if something fat fingers and they try to take one too many zeros out for some automatic payment, it fails and it's on their side. Never had an issue, but it was a fear of mine early on in the online payment game.

Exactly what I do. I have an account for buying shit off of forums like this and I have an account for my recurring bills.

And then I also have an account with money I use to buy food... which always seems to be a bit low on account of buying shit from here.

This guy gets it.

Doesn’t everybody have an account with just a few cents in it for incoming wire transfers?

This isn’t hard.