• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What powder scale is everyone using?

delzur

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2011
Idaho
Hello all, just curious which powder scale people were using and which they thought were the best for accuracy and reliability?

I have the RCBS 5-0-5 (crap in my opinion) and recently picked up a lyman 1000 XP (also crap). I do realize these are low end scales and I am looking for input before dropping a larger amount of cash on one.

Thanks...

Re: What powder scale is everyone using?

I have a Lyman 1000 XP; which, doesn't seem to be one of the best scales but, it does work pretty good if you keep re-zeroing it. I use it mostly for getting my getting my powder charge set up (a lot quicker).

For weighing my powder charges (after set-up) I use an older Ohaus 10-10; and, it seems to work pretty good.

I have checked the scales against each other and they usually tell the same. You just have to make sure and re-zero the 1000 XP fairly often.

Frank

I am just curious why you think an RCBS 505 is crap? You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but the 505 has been reliable and accurate for me for 25 years. Maybe you can tell me what I am missing.
The 1010 is a bit fancier and the 304 is without question the cats meow in RCBS scales but any of the balance beams made of metal will be more accurate than the digital scales available to the reloader.

RCBS ChargeMaster Combo. Best investment I have made in a long time in regards to loading equipment. Before that I was using the RCBS 10-10-10.

RCBS chargemaster combo after using the 505 for 25 years! Both are accurate but the electronic is for sure faster!

RCBS 5-0-5

If it was crap my chronograph wouldn't spend most of its time telling me: DUP1

Or giving me single digit standard deviation numbers.

Manual beam scales are surely not as fast as electronic scales but they always work whether you have electricity or not and don't go on the fritz. Not to mention at $75 or so for a 5-0-5, that's a damn good deal. Compared to $300 for a Chargemaster combo from RCBS (also spectacular but with its own quirks). Still, I will likely end up with a Chargemaster combo.

I have the Hornandy Lock n Load combo and love it...saves a boat load of time and extremely accurate...at first I verified everything on my beam scale and the Hornandy threw dead on. I have scarificed no accuracy and have gained time back. And a whole lot less eye strain messing with the beam scale..haha

Don't get me wrong the beam scale is good and nice to have as back up...but hard to beat the technology thats out there now.

Hornady is slightly cheaper than the RCBS and I have had no issues with the hornandy and have had very few over throws and its usually by only a tenth if it does it at all.

Lessee...a Herter's, Lee and Ohaus (Lyman M5/RCBS 1010). All beams, all do quite well but I really don't use the Lee very often. But I've used others too, including the 505/Dillon, and have never found a beam scale that didn't do great work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: treedoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dillon... </div></div>
+1

Hello all,

Thanks for the feed back.

For those that asked;

The Lyman 1000 xp that I purchased does not seem to be accurate IMO and it will be returned. The issue with it is that it does not scale correctly. I have two supposedly known weights at 20 grains. The scale will read each of them at 20 grains, however, when they are both added to simulate 40 grains it will read 40.3 or 40.4. Now, these weights are not certified so yes they probably very a little, however with that said, the scale should not weigh them at more than 40.2 if it is consistently weighing the individual 20 grains weights at 20 grains.. The other issue with the Lyman is that it will randomly read -0.5 to as much as -0.7 for brief periods of time (usually less than 30 seconds). I simply have zero confidence in this scale.

The RCBS 5-0-5 has been nothing but a source of frustration for me. The scale is used on a level surface, indoors and with fairly constant temperature. Sometime I can zero it out, and sometime I cant because the adjustment screw is turned in all the way. The other issue I have with it is that it will settle 1/10 to 2/10 of a grain off on one side of zero or the other depending on whether I lightly push charge dish all the way down or all the way up and let it come to rest.

I had a long converstion about the RCBS 505 beam scale with Scott Parker. He will not touch them, that is the ones that have three (3) poises. They are a dangerous design as the 1 grain will not stay in its postion and is easily bump out of its notch. Scott told me he that the RCBS 505 design should have been scrapped.

If you looking for a good beam scale don't waste time, $$$$, and frustrations, just call Scott and get a scale that he has alreay tuned.

Terry

RCBS 505 and PACT. Both weigh my Lyman check weghts the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CEGA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RCBS ChargeMaster Combo </div></div>

+1
I also have an old RCBS 10/10 scale that I an check any other scale by.

I happen to use a Redding model 2 powder scale. When used properly, I can measure fractions of 0.1 gr.

Beyond old,.. an Ohaus 5-0-5 and an RCBS 5-0-5 both hand me downs from the 70's and I set and use both to double check my settings..

I keep the pivots clean and the whole scale covered when not in use,.. I reset the RCBS using check weights as the pan weights(shot in the pan holder) were heavy according to check weights

has worked flawlessly for 20 years of Bullseye,PPC,IPSC Pistol shooting and all my competition rifle ammo..mostly .30-06

no intent to change anytime soon as most of my shooting pals have had issues with their digitals and can't see any benefit to the upgrade having borrowed one and done my own testing.. the S&W M-52 is an unforgiving beast. and as such my test bed for these questions I have about if new equipment will be that vast an improvement.

I am sure someday I will have to find a replacement but that day is a ways off for me..

John

I have a Lyman DPS 3 and a Lee Safety Scale. I don't trust the Lyman to hold the tolerances I expect. I double-check them all, since I have seen it throw charges that varied 0.3-0.6 even with re-zeroing/calibration every 5 charges. That much variance is dangerous.

My most recent 50 reloads found the Lyman reading 0.6-gr light when I cross checked it on the beam scale. Unacceptable. The Lyman I hoped would be a great scale, but it's now just used to get me close and I trickle the final charge on the beam scale. SLOW...but at least I feel safe.

"it will settle 1/10 to 2/10 of a grain off on one side of zero or the other depending on whether I lightly push charge dish all the way down or all the way up and let it come to rest."

That can only happen due to friction in the pivots. Either you have knicked/burred the knife edges or there is dust/etc in the bearing blocks or the beam isn't centered so the pivot bar is rubbing the bearing retainers.

RCBS Chargemaster combo. Without doubt an invaluable piece of kit and one I wouldn't be without.

I have used the 5-0-5 with out issue for years.

If a person is having trouble with keeping the poises in place how is that the scales fault?
Learn not to be such a fumble bum.

rcbs chargemaster combo, and a high triple beam that my cousin has. the manual scales can be tedious but they are super accurate when you get them set up correctly. but i do love the chargemaster!

Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Charge Powder Scale and Dispenser

with a RCBS Model 502 as back up and old PACT Digital as a back up as well

acurate reloader digital, under a redding BR powder measure, then on to RCBS 505 just to make sure of other two, so far both scales agree + - .010 of grain, allways thought 505 was great scale, it does need to be zeroed though for the bench your gonna use it on -leveled- till needle reads zero with empty pan in place

dscf0068k.jpg

I've got a piece of crap 505.

i was using a 505, and finally decided to cry once and bought a rcbs chargemaster combo form Midway today!. I cant wait.

Like the RCBS ChargeMaster Combo so much I just bought another to speed up my time

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RQI</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>

The envy.................

until then, I like my acculab vic123

I really like my PACT scale. Only $100 if you catch it on sale and it seems to verify very accurately against my 5-0-5 beam scale.

RCBS ChargeMaster Combo. It works really well for me so far.

I know exactly what a Gen 2 cost, but as of right now I don't have the funds, but someday I will have my Gen 1 for loading at the range, and the Gen 2 for the house, then I will the Master of nothing.

I used a RCBS 505 for years and it served me well until I replaced it with a 1010, which I liked A LOT better. I bought a Chargemaster a few months ago and havent looked back.

I am surprised no one has listed a Dillon Eliminator Balance beam scale. It's made by Ohaus and is cheaper than just about about everybody except LEE. Which is kind of unusual, as nothing with the Dillon name on is inexpensive.
At $54, it's a steal.

The RCBS 1500 that comes with the Chargemaster... I can't go back to manual throw anymore... I use the RCB750 every now and then to double check on the 1500 readings.

Ohaus 1010, it is the first balance scale that I have found that shows any movement when you trickle. Both a new Redding and RCBS 505 would not move. I would have to pick the pan up and set back down. What a pain! BILL

Ive been using the stuff that came with the RCBS Master Reloading Kit for over 20 years with no problems, but last year I did pick up the Lyman auto dispenser and it works pretty well. It's good to .1 grain for the most part with the reducer installed for larger kernel powders.

Vic 123 backed up by an RBCS 10-10. A GemPro250 in place of the Acculab if I'm at the range and need to run on batteries.