• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns What sidearm do y'all carry?

20300-single2ww-m.jpg

Gonna fill 'em full of ... graphite? :rolleyes:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UYLCG0TeGe8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Me? I've got a plethora of choices, but I don't do the "carry of the day" thing. It's "carry of the month," in my case, unless some sort of special event dictates otherwise. It's bad enough undoing everything and transferring it to another pair of pants. It's even worse to make the safe pilgrimage, divest myself, take something else back up, and resituate prudent ballistic caution. Sometimes, when I'm going in possible harm's way and haven't much of a choice, I'll New York reload from a spare.

For the terribly curious, l'arme à feu du jour happens to be a recent-vintage H&K product in 9x19.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Another Fractured Fairy Tale from Piss-Boy","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/VGv7Snd.gif"}[/IMG2]

I recently switched from the Springfield XD sub-compact in .40 S&W to a Glock 43. So far I'm happy with the change.

I know that appreciation for a firearm is subjective, but the XDs just feel like knobby 2x4 ends in my hand.

Six or seven different Government models over the past 40 years. Started before it was known to be too heavy and too large to carry.

I wonder what the XDs think of your hands?

Hey, I pick it up and no matter where my booger hook is it just wants to strike that primer and actuate. I'm just too damned sexy for my own good.

Reactions: Bender
Six or seven different Government models over the past 40 years. Started before it was known to be too heavy and too large to carry.

FWIW, I just hung up a 5" steel 1911 after it had its month on my belt.

If they only made a gun with a tubular grip and a German helmet at the rear of the slide......

If they only made a gun with a tubular grip and a German helmet at the rear of the slide......

I'd say, "Okay, I'll bite," but you sound like you're on about some other sort of Fleischwurst ...

I'd say, "Okay, I'll bite," but you sound like you're on about some other sort of Fleischwurst ...

Well there is the Mk II Anteater variety also.

For ergonomics probably the nicest pistol grip in my opinion (which is the only one that matters) just might be the S&W Model 39.

I don't currently own a Model 39 but I do own a 52-2 and a 952 which are based on a similar frame.

The 39 is an interesting design.

Sort of war booty earned by Smith and Wesson during WWII which gave them the right to exploit the Walther P38.

It was a possible replacement for the 1911 and went head to head with the Colts Commander as the mil looked for a smaller sidearm. The mil dicking about for a replacement for something of very little use is not a new problem.

The 39 was very popular in VN and soldiers were fortunate to take one with them overseas. The SEALs used a version as their suppressed "Hush Puppy" covert ops sentry removal system.

If you are lucky enough to come across one cheap the 52 or the 952 are magical guns that someone in S&W sold their soul to the devil for in order to produce guns that will inherently stack bullets one on top of the other.

What the 39 enjoys in great grip it pays for I guess in a smooshy trigger. Ill get one someday to find out why this gun just never got the props its offspring suggest it deserves. The other weakness is a single stack magazine. It requires some aiming discipline to actually try to hit what you are shooting at in a limited number of rounds rather than having a box of ammo contained in the grip that you can spray away with letting the law of averages do what lacking skills cant.

Last edited:
Soviet Podbyrin...most powerful handgun in world
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/ABjmF34l.jpg"}[/IMG2]

or
hellboy_01-469.jpg

or
gkMVbATl.jpg

Last edited:
Well there is the Mk II Anteater variety also.

For ergonomics probably the nicest pistol grip in my opinion (which is the only one that matters) just might be the S&W Model 39.

I don't currently own a Model 39 but I do own a 52-2 and a 952 which are based on a similar frame.

The 39 is an interesting design.

Sort of war booty earned by Smith and Wesson during WWII which gave them the right to exploit the Walther P38.

It was a possible replacement for the 1911 and went head to head with the Colts Commander as the mil looked for a smaller sidearm. The mil dicking about for a replacement for something of very little use is not a new problem.

The 39 was very popular in VN and soldiers were fortunate to take one with them overseas. The SEALs used a version as their suppressed "Hush Puppy" covert ops sentry removal system.

If you are lucky enough to come across one cheap the 52 or the 952 are magical guns that someone in S&W sold their soul to the devil for in order to produce guns that will inherently stack bullets one on top of the other.

What the 39 enjoys in great grip it pays for I guess in a smooshy trigger. Ill get one someday to find out why this gun just never got the props its offspring suggest it deserves. The other weakness is a single stack magazine. It requires some aiming discipline to actually try to hit what you are shooting at in a limited number of rounds rather than having a box of ammo contained in the grip that you can spray away with letting the law of averages do what lacking skills cant.

Yeah, I count a 3913 and a 39-2 among some of my most prized possessions. The 39-2 has a Monday to Sunday double action pull, but that single action is pure delight, and, aesthetically and ergonomically, to me it's what a firearm should be. I'd be tempted to see if someone could find a way to lighten the 3913's trigger, which is my only bitch about it, but since I have other single stacks and light double stacks in the same weight class, it's a problem that might not need fixing.

Funny story: I had a numbnuts know-it-all on another, non-gun related board try to claim that he used to work for a gun rag and that, at the height of Paris Theodore's mad scramble to produce ASPs for the spook market, just happened to have a couple of them "lying around" the editorial office, for review ... in NYC.

:rolleyes:

Soviet Podbyrin...most powerful handgun in world [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/ABjmF34l.jpg"}[/IMG2]

With the Podbyrin I said "Self, that looks like a desert eagle with a barrel extension and so Googlefu confirms......"

Who would of thought outerspace would have Mauser Broomhandles and Sterling SMGs but apparently Han Solo and Princess Leia were so armed with their frickin lazer versions.

Reactions: Bender
Yeah, I count a 3913 and a 39-2 among some of my most prized possessions. The 39-2 has a Monday to Sunday double action pull, but that single action is pure delight, and, aesthetically and ergonomically, to me it's what a firearm should be. I'd be tempted to see if someone could find a way to lighten the 3913's trigger, which is my only bitch about it, but since I have other single stacks and light double stacks in the same weight class, it's a problem that might not need fixing.

Funny story: I had a numbnuts know-it-all on another, non-gun related board try to claim that he used to work for a gun rag and that, at the height of Paris Theodore's mad scramble to produce ASPs for the spook market, just happened to have a couple of them "lying around" the editorial office, for review ... in NYC.

:rolleyes:

39-2 someday......

It really depends on the situation... either a Ruger LCR or SR9C, or I just picked up a Remington RP9 that I intend to keep in my truck along with a holster.

I carry seldom, usually only when I'm actually doing some shooting. Mine is a Ruger American Pistol 9 Pro, and I carry it Open, not CCW. View attachment y2BNvkPjBeBPX-d4D7J_25jr1JAsBTsNnJ1fQf_Ekow5JlzcMTAeqbTm53CYdqWkexzoXVi3-IJ_WDMAqd-hvripjnTUq4l3_VdP

I like the 9 because it's a credible defense cartridge. It's simple, cheap, easy to acquire, and after shooting the Shield, I think I might have controlability issues with anything presenting a significantly more stout recoil. I have bigger hands, and am looking forward to the potential for Arthritis (I'm 71).

Greg

Attachments

• dc13a30365aa9d7c4cbb7b156df93d69.jpg
    dc13a30365aa9d7c4cbb7b156df93d69.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 28
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

I think I know this guy.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/33.media.tumblr.com\/a1a1a675d39d6b2a2928dd92ce82b67d\/tumblr_nbrqsucwyE1rrkahjo4_500.gif"}[/IMG2]

customized alloy frame Para Ordnance P-13, it is my old duty gun. I have carried it on duty, shot it in matches, and used it for qualifications for about 25 years now. I learned early on that to keep it reliable, I put in 22 pound Wolff recoil springs, and change them often. I am told that having a reliable para is odd, I guess I am lucky as I have one.

Usually, Sig P239 9mm or .357 Sig G2 SAS. I have smaller hands, and these guns are single stack, with a short trigger and short-reset trigger and action job from the Sig custom shop. While they're not full-size guns, they have some weight to them and just soak up recoil. I can shoot both fast and accurately with them. Not in the least good-looking guns, but for me at least, they're really functional and will make everything I feed them go bang, every time, even if I don't clean or lube as often as I should.

I'm glad someone else mentioned "mood" above; if I want to make myself feel pretty, it's the safe queen Ed Brown Kobra Carry in two-tone.

customized alloy frame Para Ordnance P-13, it is my old duty gun. I have carried it on duty, shot it in matches, and used it for qualifications for about 25 years now. I learned early on that to keep it reliable, I put in 22 pound Wolff recoil springs, and change them often. I am told that having a reliable para is odd, I guess I am lucky as I have one.

Depending on how old you're talking about for your duty gun, it's not that unusual. Pains me to say this, but Paras were much more reliable back when the Canadians made them. It's not the fault of American labor, because the death of the Para brand has a long, soap-opera-like story, but if your gun is at least 10 years old, it's probably a darned good one.

Glock 26 or Smith 642 with my smoking hot handloads.
6676537b435eff37a951838ea1a689aa.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I also carry a Glock 43, Sig 320C, Springfield Mod2 45 SC, and 4 inch 686 in occasion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Glock 20 10mm full ride custom. Where I live there are things in the woods that will eat you. 15 rounds of 10mm hot loads will certainly change their opinion.

Been carrying my gen 3 glock 19 going on 4 years now and the only other gun I would go back to if I still had it would be my Springfield champion operator.... still mid that thing

I have a few depending on location.
Sig 1911, glock 30,19,23,27,43 CZ-P07. Usually on one me, one in the glove box, one in the trunk.

Depending on what I am wearing and where I am going, a Ruger LCP, Glock 43, Glock 19, or 1911.

On an average work day I have a Glock 19 in my desk and will slip the LCP in my pocket when I have to run out for things.

Either Shield 40 or a Rock Island Commander in 10mm. Thinking of bobtailing the frame. 10 rounds of 10mm is nothing to sneeze at.

I carry a sig p320 compact 45acp in the summer I put a subcompact grip on it.

PPS M2 and Galco Stinger holster for social functions. Kimber Pro Carry II in .45 for outdoors.

Sig P938... Love this thing... it disappears under anything. Winter I might opt for the G19, or if I'm on the property and not worried about concealment, it is a Sig P226 SAO.

Reactions: bobke