• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What to do in New Orleans? (Besides don’t go)

Kadams1563

Giver of Bad Advice
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 13, 2017
    North Texas
    Have a paid for air bnb that we were provided to spend the weekend in New Orleans.

What is decent to do and what are the stuff to see?

Not looking to go down and party and wade around in puke, piss, among other things.

Plan on going to the WWII museum as I was told it was worth going too.

Any recommendations for city tours? Have two adults a 15 year old and a stroller but will have another family member watch baby if we go somewhere not baby friendly.

WW2 museum is cool with CPL inside. Go through the metal detectors, make way to desk and security will check your ID. No fuss, and friendly about it. Was refreshing. We took a cemeteries tour, found it interesting if a little long. Did include some local color and history.
    Free art park by the cafe du monde was nice.
    Farmers type market was pretty lame, same crap everywhere. Bread pudding at Pat Obrien’s was worth the walk through the quarter. Keep the street people at arm’s length if you go down there. Dumb shit starts at dusk:(
    We spent a week for the wife’s 60th, but that was a bit too long.
    Good luck, enjoy.

Leave as quickly as possible.

Try driving the causeway that crosses Pontchatrain. It's an interesting drive.

I've heard goo things about this place, good seafood should be no problem.

Commander's Palace, 1403 Washington Ave, New Orleans, LA

I was just there 2 weeks ago for a wedding and I dont need to go back. Place is an absolute fucking dump. There is some historic charm if you can get passed the constant smell of piss and trash (worst than Ethiopia I swear) , shit on the "side walks", homeless camps on the fucking "sidewalk", beggars, pick pockets, and the fucking "sidewalks" themselves. Anything you touch is absolutely filthy. Almost like they're proud of the filth. Its absolute head on a swivel at all times when you're outiside. If its not the pick pockets and muggers, its the fucking sinkholes and heaves in the sidewalks trying to bust your ass while you look around. I saw multiple people eat shit walking down the block.

WW2 museum is cool and there is some good food but what a shithole of a city. There is an open top double decker bus that drives around that says hop on hop off. We didn't take it but I assume you pay for the day or something and then can get off if you wanna walk a bit and catch the next one. Might be an ok way to see the city if you wanted to cruise around. The trolley is novel, but crowded as fuck, as in it may not even stop for you.

If you're staying in the garden district, its a little less bad and the seafood at Boil was good and the chicken and waffles for brunch at Atchafalaya were awesome, whatever the old lady had was good too. Neither places are cheap.

After the wedding, (which was a beautiful venue and a great time with the live top end jazz band and killer food) we got the fuck out of there at top speed, which wasn't fast with the clogged roads.

If you're driving, park by your rental and uber everywhere. The parking is fucking stupid, +/- 22/hr for off street lots depending on where you are.

Reactions: NoDopes
    Take in the sights , the food oh yea the food , the culture /girls that show you there boobs for plastic beads yea the music hell yea the music . It's your country and your vacation . Just make sure if they do try and attack you make no apologies and take as many of them with you as you can .

DDay museum and Zoo are really good. They used to have a Civil War museum across the street from the DDay museum that was half decent. Art museum isnt bad if you are into that thing. They usually have a good exhibit or two that are on tour. Horse drawn carriage ride with history is pretty good; get a good feel for the city and some history. Riding the street cars is also cool, especially for little ones. They used to have a really cool toy store around the federal courthouse; like metal toy soldiers hand painted.

I don’t live there anymore, but it has certainly gone to shit the past ten or so years. If you know where to go it isn’t as bad as other make it out to be. Avoid the tourist traps.

Definitely got to the ww2 museum , 15-20 years ago the was a volunteer who was USCG at the time was the coxswain of the landing crafts during DDay. Enjoy the local food👍

DDay museum and Zoo are really good. They used to have a Civil War museum across the street from the DDay museum that was half decent. Art museum isnt bad if you are into that thing. They usually have a good exhibit or two that are on tour. Horse drawn carriage ride with history is pretty good; get a good feel for the city and some history. Riding the street cars is also cool, especially for little ones. They used to have a really cool toy store around the federal courthouse; like metal toy soldiers hand painted.

I don’t live there anymore, but it has certainly gone to shit the past ten or so years. If you know where to go it isn’t as bad as other make it out to be. Avoid the tourist traps.
    Yea that’s why I’m asking the all knowing hide. We’re adventurous but not looking for touristy. We like home grown local places that are worth the experience. The places the locals go because they know better lol.

Also we are staying out by Wesley barrow stadium.

Likely my favorite place for dinner. There will be a wait, but it’s worth it. Also this is in the middle of a residential district (good for walking afterward), about 10mins from Canal St.

This is a small place that specializes in grilled oysters. It has been open for more than 100yrs, and only serves local seafood (they close in the summer when oysters are not in season). The area is in the middle of a small shopping district. Cash only. Order the char-grilled Oysters with a Dixie beer… thank me later.

This is a small “dive bar” that has one of the best BBQ shrimp sandwiches I’ve her had. They also make gumbo once a week, so it’s worth ordering if they haven’t run out. Good for an early dinner, but I wouldn’t walk around too much after dark. This is definitely the “local gambling addict” hangout, and you’ll always get a good conversation at the bar. I usually go straight from the airport to this place, and will not visit NOLA without eating here.

This is the best breakfast in New Orleans, and possibly the entire United States (seriously). There are two locations in NOLA (one as of this writing), so don’t get confused when you see multiple addresses. Go there and order the Crab Omelet with Bananas Foster French toast.

THE iconic NOLA upscale restaurant. Keep in mind the dress code if you make reservations. I think it’s a little too uppity given the limited menu, but it’s an experience. There is better food to be had. If you want to go “all out”, this is definitely the place.

Small romantic French restaurant. Very close to Casamentos, and referred to by locals as “La Petite” Recommend enthusiastically if you want a “dinner for two” kind of place. Recommend more than Commanders Palace.

Local bar with incredible po-boy sandwiches. Their specialty is a fried oyster and pot roast sandwich, that is only served on Wednesdays. Find a seat at the bar. There will be a line on the weekends:

Good place for beer and sausages (they make both on site). Upstairs patio (you’ll need to look for it), and more of a bar than restaurant. Good place to eat, and then stay late night (they serve 24/7). (may be closed for extensive remodeling, check first before traveling)

Hansen’s Sno-Bliz

4801 Tchoupitoulas St, New Orleans, LA 70115 (no website)

These guys make the best damn sno-cones on the face of the planet, and I don’t even like sno-cones. It’s a novelty, and probably not the place for a Mar visit, but it’s worth it if you are down in The Irish District.

This place has a rooftop bar over an “old school” hotel, and there also another pretty hip bar downstairs. It’s also very close to The Avenue Pub, so if you get bored there, walk a few blocks down. It gets very busy late night, so expect a line if you don’t get there early.

Best Bourbon St. people watching bar:

Avoid:

Felix’s Oyster House (tourist trap with shyte oysters)

ACME Oyster House (don’t let the line fool you, they suck too).

Reactions: Kadams1563
    Coops Place on Decatur at Ursalines in the French Quarter. not a bad walk to Cafe Du Monde.
    The Smoked Duck Quesadilla's are fantastic and all of the pasta dishes are good too.
    It is a hole in the wall / Dive Bar & Grill but the food is fantastic.
    Treat your server well and they'll take care of you - the negative reviews are from folks that acted crappy and the service mirrored the patron's attitude.
    I live about 2 hours east of NOLA, but don't get there very often.

Aquarium then take a river boat to the zoo is good clean fun. I personally like sitting by the river/river walk.

Take a ride on the Natchez( if you don't do the zoo river ride)

Check and see if anything is going on at the Orpheum Theater. Beautiful.

The St. Louis Cathedral in Jackson Square is beautiful. Oldest one in the United States. No matter what your creed that place will take your breath away.

If in the Quarter on foot, stay East of Canal, South/east of Dauphine and South/west of esplanade. If you go out side that area you greatly increase your chances of getting robbed or shot(Rape and murder, its just 3 blocks away, its just 3 blocks away, sung to the tune of gimme shelter).
    43128A1D-A60A-47D9-8EC5-ADABE1F1E026_1_201_a.jpeg

Don' t let the street hustlers see you with a bunch of cash, they will tell their friends, who will rob you. The hustle is strong there. That being said there are a lot of really good street entertainers, I love walking around the quarter and listening to all the music... watching the random show, , art, etc... damn talented people down there. Let your ears eyes and nose guide you. All sorts of neat stores in the Quarter, tons of shit to see. Just be mindful and don't get too drunk and stupid. They watching... don't make your self a target and you'll be fine.

Cafe du monde... I was born there never eaten there... fucking line...

Fuck those carriage rides unless you like the way horse shit smells. You can just walk the same route they take.

Don't wear white shoes.

Cresent City Brew house has decent food and good beer. Tons of good places to eat.

Harrahs Casio if you like to gamble.

Museum of Art in city Park

Swamp Tours can be Fun but a little too cold to see much.

Tons of other stuff.

Last edited:
    Find an airboat tour of the Atchafalya, fish for speckled trout in Ponchatrain, get a bowfishing guide and go shoot some redfish, drum, gar, flounder, rays, etc.

Use the Airbnb as base camp then GTFO of that shithole.

The smaller the restaurant, the better the food.

Have fun!

Likely my favorite place for dinner. There will be a wait, but it’s worth it. Also this is in the middle of a residential district (good for walking afterward), about 10mins from Canal St.

This is a small place that specializes in grilled oysters. It has been open for more than 100yrs, and only serves local seafood (they close in the summer when oysters are not in season). The area is in the middle of a small shopping district. Cash only. Order the char-grilled Oysters with a Dixie beer… thank me later.

This is a small “dive bar” that has one of the best BBQ shrimp sandwiches I’ve her had. They also make gumbo once a week, so it’s worth ordering if they haven’t run out. Good for an early dinner, but I wouldn’t walk around too much after dark. This is definitely the “local gambling addict” hangout, and you’ll always get a good conversation at the bar. I usually go straight from the airport to this place, and will not visit NOLA without eating here.

This is the best breakfast in New Orleans, and possibly the entire United States (seriously). There are two locations in NOLA (one as of this writing), so don’t get confused when you see multiple addresses. Go there and order the Crab Omelet with Bananas Foster French toast.

THE iconic NOLA upscale restaurant. Keep in mind the dress code if you make reservations. I think it’s a little too uppity given the limited menu, but it’s an experience. There is better food to be had. If you want to go “all out”, this is definitely the place.

Small romantic French restaurant. Very close to Casamentos, and referred to by locals as “La Petite” Recommend enthusiastically if you want a “dinner for two” kind of place. Recommend more than Commanders Palace.

Local bar with incredible po-boy sandwiches. Their specialty is a fried oyster and pot roast sandwich, that is only served on Wednesdays. Find a seat at the bar. There will be a line on the weekends:

Good place for beer and sausages (they make both on site). Upstairs patio (you’ll need to look for it), and more of a bar than restaurant. Good place to eat, and then stay late night (they serve 24/7). (may be closed for extensive remodeling, check first before traveling)

Hansen’s Sno-Bliz

These guys make the best damn sno-cones on the face of the planet, and I don’t even like sno-cones. It’s a novelty, and probably not the place for a Mar visit, but it’s worth it if you are down in The Irish District.

This place has a rooftop bar over an “old school” hotel, and there also another pretty hip bar downstairs. It’s also very close to The Avenue Pub, so if you get bored there, walk a few blocks down. It gets very busy late night, so expect a line if you don’t get there early.

Avoid:

Dern, all that good food almost makes me overcome my hate of all cities, and go. Almost.

Great breakfast, great supper!
    Take the paddle steamer to the site of The Battle Of New Orleans.
    Head on a swivel. 👍
    Oh this place also:

Last edited:

Hansen’s Sno-Bliz

Avoid:

3245475F-FC39-4BFB-A03A-B92BF531F88A.jpeg

5810C3AA-A712-4A7A-B9FE-F373DD0AE919.jpeg

Dude Katie’s place was no joke. The food was excellent! Best meal we have had so far. This is what we thought we would be eating every meal. Thank you for the recommendation.

Also I am 6 foot tall and this was the first place we have came across that showed the water level from Katrina. That’s insane and makes you realize just how bad it would have been.

It’s been rainy, cold, and windy as hell down here though :(

View attachment 8099114

View attachment 8099115

Dude Katie’s place was no joke. The food was excellent! Best meal we have had so far. This is what we thought we would be eating every meal. Thank you for the recommendation.

Also I am 6 foot tall and this was the first place we have came across that showed the water level from Katrina. That’s insane and makes you realize just how bad it would have been.

It’s been rainy, cold, and windy as hell down here though :(
    I’m a couple of hours away, light sleet this morning. Melted as soon as it touched ground. Crazy weather.

WW2 museum is an absolute must!!! Please go to this. And pay to see the movie beyond all boundaries. Its a 4D movie that has interactive props. Shit literally comes out from the stage, ceiling, snow machine rains down on you when they show the winter campaign, and the entire seating area shakes when bombs hit.

Please take my word on this and go watch it. Itll be a lifelong memory...

Except for a trip for the beignets, at the Cafe Du Monde and the WWII museum, maybe ride the street cars on Canal, I never go past West End Park (where the sailing community hangs out). They have rebuilt the old JAX brewery into some kind of a tourist place, with food you can't afford and shops that sell stuff you don't want. I liked it better when it was the JAX Brewery (though I can't say much for Jax Beer, ("for that real beer taste.")

Go across the lake and check out Mandville's waterfront (again basically old mansions and where the sailors hang out) and then Madisonville. Mandiville has gone modern but I am hoping Madisonville still has its small-town French/acadian heritage.

In these days and times, I just plain would not go past West End Park, though I have always had a longing to see the Battle of New Orleans battlefield.

Reality, if you are not used to it, its kind a like Chicago with more humidity and older buildings. So, if you want to get drunk and robbed and maybe murdered with a bunch of men who wear dresses, its your place, otherwise, stay north of the lake.

So today we started with Cafe du mond. Little man had his first real sweet treat
    67E276F4-8522-44D0-B5C8-5544130EF348.jpeg

7634EB34-730C-46CA-92EF-131856BC7917.jpeg

Then the WWII museum. We watched the movie and it was awesome. The my have done a great job and lots of information. Spent 4 hours or so there and didn’t get to take it all in.
    9EE443DA-8183-48F4-9EC3-C14B43428DCA.jpeg

753A216B-6F9A-4133-A843-D6BD88A4C8A5.jpeg

530292EB-13F0-4CF1-A82B-2BD43B484AED.jpeg

Went to Hansen’s Sno bliz for sno cones and they were DAMN good. Best I have had.

Finished the night up with fresh raw ousters, charbroiled ousters, and seafood platter at Casamento’s.

Overall a pretty good trip and didn’t spend much time down in the quarter getting wild.

Reactions: madppcs
    Did you see the exhibit where they had the watch of the pilot from enola gay, and the flight log from the mission? They also had glass and other items from hiroshima that was melted from the blast.

Did you see the exhibit where they had the watch of the pilot from enola gay, and the flight log from the mission? They also had glass and other items from hiroshima that was melted from the blast.
    They had several displays of watches and logs from different people.

The stuff from Hiroshima was kinda quick if that makes sense. Everything was detailed and then when it go to the bomb aspect it was like ok war is over.

It was a cool Experience and made you really think of what it means to be an American.